Kerbal Space Program

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 11:29:12 3,048 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just heard about this for the first time in the Developers Games of 2012 article and it looks quite fun - their website.

I searched but didn't find any threads about it - sorry if I missed one - has anyone here tried it? What's it like? I see the price is $25 or so, which is just outside my impulse purchase range so thought I'd ask around first, but it looks like it scratches a lot of my favourite itches - space, sand-box, build things... And it works on Macs apparently!

Edited by TarickStonefire at 11:30:08 02-01-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Scimarad 2 Jan 2013 11:38:22 8,537 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was one but I'm buggered if I can find it!
  • Rusty_M 2 Jan 2013 11:41:34 4,659 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've never seen it mentioned on here, but my cousin plays it and seems to love it. I tried the demo and thought it was great. Very challenging.

I'm tempted to actually buy it at some point

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 12:31:45 3,048 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's a demo?

/goes to find demo

• TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 12:37:56 3,048 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Couldn't find any links to download anything other than the full-priced game, but I poked around in the wiki and stuff like this put me off a bit. I see what you mean about "very challenging" - looks way too physics-y for me.

Bit like that game Notch is making about space travel, that sounds about as fun as a school maths lesson!

• Fake_Blood 2 Jan 2013 12:43:43 4,175 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This might make up your mind.
  • Rusty_M 2 Jan 2013 12:56:14 4,659 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the download is the same as the paid version, but access is limited without purchase. I got it from the main KSP site

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• TarickStonefire 2 Jan 2013 13:04:40 3,048 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Fake_Blood Oh thanks - I always forget that YouTube is actually one of the best ways to 'try out' a game you're unsure about! ;)

• Fake_Blood 2 Jan 2013 13:53:22 4,175 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, giantbomb is a little more than just a youtube channel!
    Anyway, didn't see any complicated math in that vid ;)
  • Scimarad 2 Jan 2013 20:47:42 8,537 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am so shit at this game but it's so addictive! I can't even get something into a stable orbit let alone land on the bloody moon...

I did manage to hit the big radar dish at the space centre with an out of control booster rocket, though.
  • TarickStonefire 4 Jan 2013 14:00:48 3,048 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Fake_Blood No me neither, but from the looks of it, if you really want to get somewhere you need to move on from amusing trial and error and start actually applying some proper thought to the physics of the situation.

I'll see. I thought Gary's Mod looked AMAZING but it turned out i didn't have anywhere near the patience to actually put together anything that my imagination could conjure up, so it would work, anyway. So it might not be for me. I'll put it on The List :)

• BuckFuttons 12 Jan 2013 07:11:12 3 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's easy enough to get things in orbit and to the moon, but designing interplanetary rockets is a lot more difficult.
    The game's pretty unique though and really rewarding if you're into this kind of stuff.

One of the best tips I could give newbies is: don't build too big.
    Also look for youtube casters, you could learn a lot. I think this guy does some fairly good videos.
  • Liniert 12 Jan 2013 07:25:05 8 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love the game but i have not been able to get anything in orbit or on the moon, either my rockets go up and come back down or go up and end up in a far orbit around the sun
  • BuckFuttons 12 Jan 2013 07:45:13 3 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Liniert wrote:
    I love the game but i have not been able to get anything in orbit or on the moon, either my rockets go up and come back down or go up and end up in a far orbit around the sun
    You should probably try adding to horizontal velocity to yer orbits at some point.
  • twelveways 30 Mar 2013 05:15:15 3,979 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is AWESOME!
  • twelveways 30 Mar 2013 05:17:22 3,979 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • wogsy81 26 Apr 2013 08:03:10 719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Im just looking at this game on steam. Its 17 quid which is a bit steep i think for a game thats not finished but im willing to pay it as im a huge space nut. I have also read a few positive opinions on this game so im confident it will be money well spent.
    I actually fancy myself as a Wernher Von Braun (but without the genius IQ) so ive decided to take the plunge and buy it.

I will be playing this on my macbook pro so am just wondering if it would be playable with a trackpad or do you think i would be best getting a mouse to play?

Anyways, it looks like a pretty good sandbox game that i can get lost in and im looking forward to getting started.
    All them hundreds and hundreds of hours watching space/nasa type documentarys will not have been wasted.
  • twelveways 26 Apr 2013 08:44:19 3,979 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is possible to play using a trackpad as you hardly use the mouse when you are flying. Building the ships might be a little more difficult though, I guess it depends on your pad skillz.

I just want to repeat that I LOVE this 'game'. The rush you get from a successful mission is immense, it takes a lot of patience though and a hell of a lot of trial and error, a single mission can take up to 40 minutes and that is a long time to spend only to realise that you had connected your final stage fuel line the wrong way. There are also still quite a few bugs but the game is definitely playable.
  • wogsy81 26 Apr 2013 09:27:10 719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @twelveways
    Thanks for the heads up bud.
    I think ill pop over the shops and get a mouse just to be safe. I can get one for a tenner so its no big deal.

And i do like the sound of the long missions. This is just the type of game im after. I have tons of patience so i can't wait to get started.

My friday night is going to consist of drinking between 6-10 bottles of beer, smoking marajuana and playing kerbal space program all night. Now you guys may laugh but that is a brilliant sounding friday night to me :)

God speed.
  • twelveways 26 Apr 2013 09:41:20 3,979 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol, a bit of smokey really adds to the game *_*

The official forums are quite useful but the guides involve quite a lot of math knowledge and they make it more complicated than it really is, it's not rocket science ffs...

I very rarely take screenshots of games but my first successful Mun landing was an exception.
  • D_arkTrooper 26 Apr 2013 14:16:33 1,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lookout for some of the mods. MechJeb in particular makes things a WHOLE LOT easier such as automating a lot of the tricky stuff. Some may think it's cheating but it really depends on how you get your fun out of the game.

And watch some of the Scott Manley K.S.P videos on YouTube...educational, informative and hilarious in parts as well.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• sirtacos 31 May 2013 00:56:44 7,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Having tremendous fun with this.

I'm struggling to achieve a stable orbit, though. During my most successful attempt, my satellite ended up shooting past Earth and straight into the middle of the solar system.

I'm now trying to build a Voyager probe to send into deep space. According to my googlings, it is possible to do so.

I'm excited for full release. The sandbox is fun, but I'm really looking forward to career mode.

Edited by sirtacos at 00:58:52 31-05-2013
  • TarickStonefire 31 May 2013 08:48:59 3,048 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is still on my list of games to consider buying in a slow month, but what with blood dragon and Mac XCOM in recent months, my games budget keeps getting blown in the first week ;)

Started to really enjoy it after I watched all the tutorial videos that got me up into space at last, and I've finally worked out how to start an orbit but have yet to actually achieve it ;)

• CaptainKerbal 31 May 2013 09:03:38 368 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One of my favourite pc games in many years, great value really considering what you can get out of it, its basically a preorder with the opportunity to play around whilst they finish the game, the devs tend to update quite a bit as well.
  • ecureuil 31 May 2013 09:23:28 76,738 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't suppose this'll go on sale until it's officially released, will it?
  • twelveways 31 May 2013 12:13:07 3,979 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    its been on sale for ages, get it now before the price goes up.

Finally designed a rocket that can carry a lunar module, a rover and three astronauts to the moon (Mun) and then carry the astronauts back to Earth (Kerbin) \o/

Not sure what to do now though, may take a break until some substantial patches have been released.
  • sickpuppysoftware 31 May 2013 12:45:13 1,324 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Despite knowing about the game it didn't stop my brain from reading the title as Kebab Space Program. Now I want that game instead.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• makarkokar 2 Jun 2013 13:28:33 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rus fan-site www.ksp-game.ru
  • sirtacos 2 Jun 2013 23:26:25 7,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You think achieving stable orbit is a challenge... wait til you attempt space docking!
    Shit's crazy, son.

I have the Kerbin Space Station in orbit. I want to send up my ship to join the station. Sounds simple enough, right? When I sat down to do this, I expected it to take an hour at most.

Skip to five hours later. I'm staring with despair at two mismatched orbits, sitting in my own filth, with half-torn notes on Newtonian physics scattered around me, bleary-eyed and watching a 33rd YouTube tutorial on how to match orbital inclination with a target.

Basically, I suck balls at this game. I persevere because it's addictive, but mostly it's because you get a sense of genuine achievement once you've succeeded at something.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous