Removing Back-comp in handhelds is a no-no

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Toadie48 29 Dec 2012 14:25:52 43 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why do Nintendo always remove backwards compatibility from their handhelds?

I've never bought more than 15 games for a handheld but have easily done that on DS. Here is the thing, Nintendo could have the first 1-6 Final Fantasies on their handhelds and by now have a strong shout for finally a Final Fantasy 7 port to be released. Instead Nintendo remove backwards compatibility almost saying f*ck you Square, all the work getting 1-6 was in vain now we have a strong shout to put 5 and 6 on the 3DS.

Imagine Playstation removing the ability to play the first 1-9 Final Fantasies?

With consoles you buy them and they usually stay in one place, so you might choose to leave a PS2 lying around besides your PS3. Handhelds go around with you. Are you now telling me I need to carry around a GBA, 3DS to play the first 1-6 Final Fantasies? Nintendo are shooting them selves in the foot because now they have forced consumers hands to get a Playstation handheld for Final fantasies on the go...

(edited to cut down on drivel and get to my main points, and more clearly :))
    Edited by Toadie48 at 14:27:35 29-12-2012

Edited by Toadie48 at 15:03:56 29-12-2012

The PS3 is dead in Japan. - Sailor Goon from Gamefaqs
    The Japanese don't like games such as Hot Shots Golf. - Sailor Goon from Gamefaqs

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 14:30:30
    So you'll buy them again on the new machine.

The world's greatest mystery: solved.

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 14:31:45
    The rest of your post is incomprehensible drivel btw.
  • liamthemaster 29 Dec 2012 14:55:47 1,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The 3ds is back compatible with the ds that's one generation,you can also get flash cards if you want to play nes/snes/gba games
  • Toadie48 29 Dec 2012 15:04:57 43 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @liamthemaster - I'm talking about legal methods:)

The Japanese don't like games such as Hot Shots Golf. - Sailor Goon from Gamefaqs

• Toadie48 29 Dec 2012 15:07:32 43 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    The rest of your post is incomprehensible drivel btw.
    Yeah sorry about that. Usually I plan things out in my head before commenting/ creating a topic. I hadn't got my thoughts as clear as I'd wanted. I've neatened it up a bit, it's still by no means perfect :).

• DFawkes 29 Dec 2012 15:13:12 22,581 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think 1 generation of backwards compatibility is unreasonable, which I'm fairly sure has always been an option on Nintendo handhelds. Not the DSi, but if you want backwards compatibility you just buy a DS Lite instead :)

So in answer to your question, they don't remove backwards compatibility from their handhelds without at least leaving you an option that supports it. There are probably exceptions I've forgotten though (Virtual Boy doesn't count).

Also do remember it's Square who chose what console to develop for and when. They certainly take a fair share of the responsibility for your issue. In addition, all 6 FF games are playable on a DS Lite, plus Tactics if you fancy. That's all on just one console.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:23:24 29-12-2012

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• elstoof 29 Dec 2012 16:32:10 6,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How many fucking final fantasies do you need to have on hand at once?
  • PazJohnMitch 29 Dec 2012 16:37:24 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Vita should soon have the first 10.
  • Fake_Blood 29 Dec 2012 16:38:36 4,050 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Toadie48 wrote:
    @liamthemaster - I'm talking about legal methods:)
    You sure about that, because a hacked psp is just what you need.
    And cheap as fuck.
  • senso-ji 29 Dec 2012 16:48:28 5,789 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Toadie48

Fewer new GBA carts are being produced, and indeed fewer new DS games are being made as devs divert their time and effort into the new consoles. Therefore, shops will stock fewer last generation titles until their entire floor space is full of the latest games. So it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to keep backwards compatibility if there are no games around to facilitate this feature.

Die hard fans like yourself can and do buy retro consoles and games (or use emulators) as a way to get round this.
  • elstoof 29 Dec 2012 16:50:39 6,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:

Die hard fans like yourself
    Just ordered the quadrilogy, 11 quid at amazon \o/

Ho Ho Ho!
  • Moz 29 Dec 2012 16:59:40 494 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @OP because that's the big drawback of cartridges. Each new system needs a new shape cart to stop people trying to put it in the old system and causing damage (of course ds and 3ds carts are just repackaged sd cards do less of an issue moving forward) however the gba cart slot was simply too big to fit in a 3ds (or a dsi for that matter) because of the extra sd slot (not present on earlier ds models) plus the 3ds needs a bigger battery.

also using playstation as a good example just makes you sound misinformed. Sony are currently making killing reselling ps1 & 2 games on SEN after removing any back comp from ps3. And vita only supports it on digital content cos they dropped umd
  • jonsaan 29 Dec 2012 17:08:36 25,326 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Give me past libraries digitally and let me access that library on any new machine you release. Job done.

BC is a funny one. you think you want it bad, then in reality you hardly ever use it on your shiny new bit of kit. I have a BC PS3 that I have played a PS2 game on once to see if it worked.

FCUTA!

• cubbymoore 29 Dec 2012 17:12:34 36,468 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    senso-ji wrote:

Die hard fans like yourself
    Just ordered the quadrilogy, 11 quid at amazon \o/

Ho Ho Ho!
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A QUADRILOGY.
  • jonsaan 29 Dec 2012 17:14:27 25,326 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It gets to the point where it's easier to simply write - 'just ordered all four'.

FCUTA!

• PazJohnMitch 29 Dec 2012 17:16:09 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sadly not enough people would have understood Tetrology.
  • elstoof 29 Dec 2012 17:16:26 6,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry darkmorgado.
  • jonsaan 29 Dec 2012 17:19:07 25,326 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Sadly not enough people would have understood Tetrology.
    Is that because it's 'tetralogy'?

FCUTA!

• elstoof 29 Dec 2012 17:19:30 6,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    It gets to the point where it's easier to simply write - 'just ordered all four'.
    I didn't though, it was a box set.
  • mal 29 Dec 2012 17:39:45 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be fair, Nintendo's solution of having the GBA cart half-in and half-out of a DS Lite as as good as removing back-compatibility that gen. My DS Phat always had a copy of MK:SS (before MK:DS came out) or SFA3^ (afterwards) on board for emergencies.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• redcrayon 30 Dec 2012 09:06:12 4,544 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Er, what? The OP makes no sense- are you seriously annoyed at the 3DS not having a GBA slot?

Ninty handhelds have always had one generation's worth of backwards compatibility. There are only so many 30 hour games I need to carry around at once, and if want to play my FFVI GBA cart, I still have a GBA or DS that will do the trick, they would just replace the 3DS in my bag for the duration.

If the OPs argument was 'why isn't Nintendos entire handheld back catalogue on the Eshop, with an account system tied to me, not my hardware'' , that would make a lot more sense looking forward, but claiming they don't have backwards compatibility in mind when designing handhelds is silly. I wish Sony actually did that when looking at my pile of UMDs. If you started buying games more recently and have amassed a large PSN collection then fair play, but I have no intention of spending hundreds of pounds on digital versions of stuff I only bought hard copies of last generation.

If I buy another Sony handheld, I'll go all digital from the start though (the price of memory permitting), as despite them changing format with no BC, a better account system is much more important. I don't begrudge any company abandoning dead formats, and that includes UMDs and GBA carts.

Can't say I'm overly fussed about FF games any more though, or that being able to carry around and play them all is a key consideration for your average buyer.

Edited by redcrayon at 09:48:32 30-12-2012
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 30 Dec 2012 09:27:16 10,852 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the next handheld is unlikely to have full backward compatibility with 3DS as Nintendo probably won't use autostereoscopic screens again.
  • redcrayon 30 Dec 2012 09:35:16 4,544 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Very true.

The fact that 3D can't be an essential feature in 3DS games as some can't see it could turn out to be a boon next generation, as they can leave it behind and the old 3DS games will still broadly work in the new hardware :D

Edited by redcrayon at 09:37:17 30-12-2012
  • neilka 30 Dec 2012 12:53:20 15,623 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The 3D screen could be with us for a while, it likely won't be expensive to produce by the next generation and it works fine as a 2D screen too. People probably thought the DS's two screens were a passing fad at the time but we still have those.
  • Raiko101 30 Dec 2012 13:20:25 6,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hope they don't ditch the 3D screen. I love it. Not so much for the 3D, but the image just seems clearer for some reason. It doesn't look like you're looking at a screen, if that makes any sense. I can't really explain it any other way.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 30 Dec 2012 13:34:38 10,852 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would definitely miss the 3D effect. Despite the graphics being far superior on Vita, they appear flat & lifeless without the added depth.
  • el_pollo_diablo 2 Jan 2013 18:21:25 2,064 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I hope they don't ditch the 3D screen. I love it. Not so much for the 3D, but the image just seems clearer for some reason. It doesn't look like you're looking at a screen, if that makes any sense. I can't really explain it any other way.
    Everything sort of looks metallic.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next