Unpopular gaming opinions Page 111

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• Rajin 15 Aug 2013 22:53:21 662 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

200 racers with the speed of f zero? Don't think that would improve the game to be honest. More is not always better...
  • Rivuzu 15 Aug 2013 23:01:53 2,773 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Voice acting killed Final Fantasy.
    >:
  • spamdangled 15 Aug 2013 23:04:11 27,425 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

Fairy dust and dreams, that's what.

Because it's sure as hell not common sense.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 15 Aug 2013 23:05:25 27,425 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    rivuzu wrote:
    >:
    Agreed.

This might be more down the casting of their voice actors though, who all sound like they're just reading it off a script to do just enough to earn a pay cheque.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• FrostPan 15 Aug 2013 23:10:32 244 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Final Fantasy 10's characters and story was awful. The gameplay was good though.
  • FuzzyDuck 15 Aug 2013 23:18:18 4,711 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado

I think there's a finite pool of common sense in the games' industry.

Sony spent the first few years of this/last gen completely ignoring it, Microsoft appearing to be having the odd sip of it again, while Nintendo have decided that their own well purchased from the Wii's profits is good to sustain them.
  • Dombat 15 Aug 2013 23:28:51 325 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rivuzu wrote:
    >:
    Completely agree. Although I also feel that FFX had quite weak characters and story, I think it was the voice acting that especially made the dialogue a lot more awkward and tedious than I used to find it.

FFXIII was even worse for this although I liked almost nothing about that game. I liked FFXII but not so much for the dialogue and story etc.

I really think the series has never been the same since it introduced voice acting.
  • King_Edward 15 Aug 2013 23:34:49 11,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's pure coincidence that Final Fantasy is terrible and has bad voice acting (it's not really that bad, it's the d'ia'logu'e' that stinks).
  • Dombat 15 Aug 2013 23:39:05 325 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Actually I'd take the point a step further and say voice acting has been bad for the RPG genre as a whole.

It's ramped up development costs, made them excessively cinematic, and made it less easy to create varied dialogue choices.

Apart from The Witcher series I'm struggling to think of any RPGs that have made good use of voice acting and kept the same level of high standards in dialogue as the classic RPGs of the 90s.

I do just mean RPGs though, I think other genres have used VO to modernise without sacrificing much.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2013 23:43:31

Edited by iHAZaCHEEZ3burger at 23:44:17 15-08-2013
  • Deleted user 15 August 2013 23:44:01
    Mass effect has some great voice acting.

/waits for the it's not an RPG cunts
  • Rivuzu 15 Aug 2013 23:48:03 2,773 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Apart from The Witcher series I'm struggling to think of any RPGs that have made good use of voice acting
    Other than The Witcher series, I can't think of an RPG with that much polish (oh god, the pun...).

If people want me to become invested in some big epic saga journey, then atleast have VO's that SHOW the story and make you feel it. You wouldn't sit through LotR if it was delivered deadpan.

And on that note, Skyrims VO was fucking gash too.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2013 00:03:55
    Now that someone has mentioned The Witcher:

The Witcher was a bit shite. Both of them.
  • spamdangled 16 Aug 2013 00:04:43 27,425 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @spudsbuckley

GTFO

• spamdangled 16 Aug 2013 00:06:15 27,425 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I think it's pure coincidence that Final Fantasy is terrible and has bad voice acting (it's not really that bad, it's the d'ia'logu'e' that stinks).
    Nah, it's very much a combination of both.

• kentmonkey 16 Aug 2013 00:07:17 20,872 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Mass effect has some great voice acting.

/waits for the it's not an RPG cunts
    Mass Effect voice acting might be okay, in terms of the actual character portrayed in the voice over work, but the dialogue is fucking abysmal. Nobody speaks how they speak. Nobody. And nobody waits for everyone elses sentence to finish perfectly, and even add in a pause for bonus, before embarking on what they want to say either.
  • FuzzyDuck 16 Aug 2013 00:20:11 4,711 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Now that someone has mentioned The Witcher:

The Witcher was a bit shite. Both of them.
    Yes! Played up to the end of the first chapter on the 360 version and it was just a slog. I did enjoy the characters and dialogue though (not enough to sustain gameplay, mind).

In terms of dialogue, I think Dark Souls weaves a better story with the minimal amount.
  • HelloNo 16 Aug 2013 00:24:36 1,226 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Obsidian always deliver decent VOs thinking about it. I'm sure it'd be buggy if they could manage that but usually it's pretty solid.

Alpha Protocol is what leapt to mind as I was writing that - Mike himself is good, SIE, the weirdo with the gloves.

Then KotoR 2 had some good ones: Mira, Handmaiden (Grey DeLisle <3), Vrook.

But JRPGs? Never met a script I liked from that lot, cringing half the time. Some decent voices occasionally.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Aug 2013 00:37:34 11,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that Japanese dialogue translates really badly. In fact, I think that if you translate 90% of Japanese conversation directly into English, it sounds really stupid and seems to have a very low information density... I guess JRPGs really suffer from this.

And from being translated lazily. From personal experience, I am regularly asked to translate very complex things into English on very short notice on a very tight schedule. The higher ups don't understand how long a proper translation takes.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Deleted user 16 August 2013 00:53:04
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I think that Japanese dialogue translates really badly. In fact, I think that if you translate 90% of Japanese conversation directly into English, it sounds really stupid and seems to have a very low information density... I guess JRPGs really suffer from this.

And from being translated lazily. From personal experience, I am regularly asked to translate very complex things into English on very short notice on a very tight schedule. The higher ups don't understand how long a proper translation takes.
    Also, JRPGs are mostly about dumb gay made-up animu shite so it translates poorly anyway.

And i like JRPGs.
  • HelloNo 16 Aug 2013 01:12:07 1,226 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:

That makes it even worse in a way: there's good stuff there but it's just not coming through.
  • Folant 16 Aug 2013 01:37:34 1,513 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:

Also, JRPGs are mostly about dumb gay made-up animu shite so it translates poorly anyway.

And i like JRPGs.
    As opposed to the (obviously not) dumb gay shite in Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age.

And I mostly dislike dumb gay animu pansy JRPGs.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• drip 16 Aug 2013 01:38:19 4,596 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Actually I'd take the point a step further and say voice acting has been bad for the RPG genre as a whole.
    Agreed. It could be good if they invested enormous sums for hundreds of quality voice actors. But since that's not an option, in many cases on-screen text would have been better.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Aug 2013 01:54:23 11,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kanjin wrote:That makes it even worse in a way: there's good stuff there but it's just not coming through.
    Well, maybe, but I can't help feel that some of it would never be palatable to your average westerner simply because of the gigantic cultural difference, even if God translated it.

For example, I'm playing tales of Vesperia right now, and the sheer volume of bollocks I have to read through to get to interesting valuable dialogue is painful. Every-time Raven talks, it's classic, and I fucking love the arguments between Yuri and Fren, but listening to Estelle dither for 80 hours really gets on my tits.

The thing is, in Japan, people like that are common, and that kind of low information density conversation is standard, but for westerners it can be extremely frustrating to read so much, and yet, basically have been communicated more or less nothing...

• Telepathic.Geometry 16 Aug 2013 02:00:23 11,472 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope, I'm saying that to the average western person, the speech pattern of a certain not uncommon subset of Japanese people would be annoying.

Works both ways of course, for the vast majority of Japanese people, the directness of western speaking style would be unpalatable.

• Page

of 132 First / Last