of 124 First / Last

• Retroid Moderator 21 Apr 2013 19:06:01 44,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @morriss >:(
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Apr 2013 19:06:59 44,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Related, but I thought Darksiders was shite.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 19:08:17 3,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Agree with the distaste for Borderlands - i ditched the first one out of a combination of frustration and boredom (the map is impossible to read), while I abandoned 2 around the 25 hour mark. I was enjoying it but it started to drag and I availed of a sweet trade in deal.

Okami is one of my favourite games ever made, I own the thing on both PS2 and Wii, and if it were not for me boycotting Capcom this last year and a half, I'd probably buy it on the PS3 as well. It is a slow burner though, the characters and setting kept me hooked long enough for the world and abilities to open up, but i can see why people ditch it early enough.
  • joeymoto108 21 Apr 2013 19:08:26 617 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wii U reminds me of Dreamcast for some reason. Hope it doesn't fail though!

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• King_Edward 21 Apr 2013 19:08:52 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Darksiders was a bit dull in parts. Enough to stop me finishing it.
  • Matt36 21 Apr 2013 19:09:22 1,191 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    But that means dusting of my PS3! :p
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 19:10:40 3,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Retroid

Aye, Darksiders was one of the shittiest games of this gen for me! 'Grown up' Zelda adventure me hole!

And I fucking hated the art style in it with a firey passion.
  • Matt36 21 Apr 2013 19:13:20 1,191 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ouch. I loved it. Bought Darksiders on Xbox games on demand and have it on Steam.
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Apr 2013 19:15:43 44,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wanted to like Darksiders. Several friends gave me glowing recommendations. Ended up giving my 360 copy to a friend.

Picked them up as part of the THQ Humble Bundles & they're installed, just.... meh.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 19:20:04 3,546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    I don't see were people see Zelda in Darksiders. Its a pure God of war clone.
    That's the thing, it's got shag all to do with Zelda and I don't see where the comparison comes from either (unless an overworld/dungeon type progressions counts).

I swapped my PS3 copy of it for a bag of chips... and tasty chips they were too.
  • Matt36 21 Apr 2013 19:22:50 1,191 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't compare it Zelda when I played it (I didn't even hear of the comparison until after) I just enjoyed it as it was.
  • DFawkes 21 Apr 2013 19:30:18 22,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Because, although the combat is more God of War, pretty much everything else is pure Zelda. The dungeon design, the puzzles, even the black bars and general movement is very Zelda. The way you'll start a dungeon, pass things that bar progress, collect an item then come back and use it to pass is very Zelda too.

Same with outside the dungeons in the hub, where you use those items to access new dungeons, some of those items are heavily inspired directly by Zelda, and I think you get life extensions after beating bosses though I'm not 100% sure. So there are lots of similarities in the games structure :)

Edited by DFawkes at 19:31:31 21-04-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Doomspoon 21 Apr 2013 19:43:03 2,353 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Pure is stretching it, the core combat mechanics are definitely similar. The block sliding and wall climbing too I guess (only ever played the PSP God of War).

Stuff in common with OoT would be the hub area in the middle of the map, parts of previously explored areas only being accessible after certain loot in dungeons is obtained. The map, compass and dungeon specific treasure copied from OoT (although the health and mana chests are very God of War), boss fights relying on that newly obtained treasure. The crossblade being a boomerang with four arms rather than two but utilised in the same manner as Zelda for solving puzzles/activating switches. The copy of Link's Hookshot. The horse and its five 'boost' bars. Boss fights being part puzzle rather than an all out hack and slash battle. The shards being pretty much the heart containers from Zelda etc

It may not be a straight Zelda clone but there's so much there that is like playing through a reskinned Zelda dungeon. WHilst I can see an argument for Darksiders not being a Zelda clone for the other ideas taken from other games I'd see a view that it has nothing to compare directly with Zelda as rather blinkered.
  • Matt36 21 Apr 2013 20:16:52 1,191 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It may not be a Zelda clone, but it has similarities. Closest we are going to get to a Zelda 360 game.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Apr 2013 20:59:32 2,564 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I bought Okami HD because everyone hyped it so much, and the style is adorable.

But I just couldn't find anything though that made it enjoyable to play, least of all the combat. That sucked really bad.
  • Matt36 21 Apr 2013 21:08:00 1,191 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm going to stick to admiring the game from a far.
  • JinTypeNoir 22 Apr 2013 06:04:18 4,365 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the subject of Okami, I remember enjoying the game a lot and thinking it was great. It has lots of things other than the art style to praise. It isn't just long because its long-winded, but because there is a lot of content and to see and play through. A lot of the takes on mythology are charming and funny. It has really some innovative and interesting mechanics. Above all though, I think it is true to say its best assets are all aesthetic - the atmosphere of the story, the graphics, the sound design and my favorite, the soundtrack.

I don't agree that it's a shining masterpiece and one of the best games of that generation, but I can see why it is heralded as such and it doesn't bother me that other people see that. One thing that does bother me though are people who gave up on it early and make the evaluation that it was shite. If you don't like games with long cutscenes and lots of text, play another game. If you were disappointed and gave up, fine. But don't make sweeping statements about the ultimate quality of the game because it wasn't your thing. There is no ultimate law that says all games must give you control as much as possible and have short cut scenes.

So people who played a good chunk of Okami and say they didn't like it because of the combat or they didn't think it was designed as well as the press praised for have a much better case. Tons of great games don't hold many people's attention long enough to get past the first five minutes. No game, no matter how good it is will ever hold the attention of everyone. It makes pretty poor form to say something is over rated because it didn't hold your attention -- that your standards are somehow better than someone else's. That's why I hardly call anything over rated. It's such an asinine mode of thought.

Likewise -- though I will agree that Okami's introduction could be done in a much better fashion -- long introductions that are not very playable are not intrinsically bad things either. I have more disdain for people who have no patience for such things and act like all games must cater to their tastes than I do for those who can't be bothered to pace their long-winded games for the tastes of people who want more hands on action from the start.
  • pacrifice 22 Apr 2013 13:20:17 959 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Silent Hill HD collection..... I like it.

360 version and yes, I'm well aware of there being missing fog in Silent Hill 2 and there are a number of other issues with both games yet, I played them on ps2 and still enjoyed it on the 360 in HD.

Silent Hill 3 looked lovely in places.
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 13:22:02 1,191 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does that include SH1? I remember being creeped out by playing the demo with MGS on PSX.
  • pacrifice 22 Apr 2013 13:33:44 959 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah, only Silent Hill 2 and 3.

Silent Hill 1 was very good.

ps1 games don't do well in HD mastering :(
  • sanctusmortis 22 Apr 2013 16:07:23 9,590 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Silent Hill needs a full remake. They should, TBH, fully remake 1-3, not just HD them.
  • JinTypeNoir 22 Apr 2013 16:44:57 4,365 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What Silent Hill needs more than anything else right now is a wise curator who understands the importance of what was accomplished in those games and can lead the effort to either preserve or expand on it.
  • senso-ji 22 Apr 2013 16:51:39 5,315 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Speaking of Silent Hill; I really enjoyed 4. Yes, it wasn't as good as the first three but it doesn't deserve the criticism it got either. I felt the new direction Konami took with it worked, and it was overall a very good horror game.
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 18:43:53 1,191 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well that sucks. Why do they do that? Miss the first game. They do that a lot with these HD packs. Weirdest though is the Dragonball Z back. That includes 1&3 but not 2?
  • TheMilkman 23 Apr 2013 01:24:33 177 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Codemasters make shite racing games.
  • mal 23 Apr 2013 01:43:52 21,968 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agreed, although not for the graphics, handling or anything else that really matters. It's their fucking atrocious menu systems that usually stops me playing Codemasters racers.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• joeymoto108 23 Apr 2013 02:20:37 617 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked Grid and the Toca series, great games

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Page

of 124 First / Last