Outdoor Compact (Point & Shoot) Suggestions

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Psychotext 22 Dec 2012 11:11:26 54,167 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to find myself a new compact camera to take mountain biking with me. I've been using my Panasonic TZ30 but it's a little too expensive to risk it getting mangled.

Looking for something the same sort of size, hopefully with at least a little optical zoom available which will take good shots without a lot of messing around with settings. Will mostly be taking scenery pics with the occasional shot of someone on their bike.

It'll be in a padded, waterproof (mostly) pouch, but my gloves will likely have some mud on them so it can't be overly delicate. Full on ruggedized will be a waste though (especially for the premium you pay for them).

Reckon 100 to 150 max. Any suggestions?
  • Lotos8ter 22 Dec 2012 16:07:57 2,358 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Psychotext Canon IXUS 230 HS is a Which Best Buy and seems to get good reviews. I don't have one myself, but seems to tick all your boxes. I don't find these cameras particularly rugged but it has a metal body, quick to ready from turning on and doesn't have any bells and whistles like a pop-up flash that tend to get broken.
    Its out of your range on Amazon but only 130 at PC World and Currys
    Amazon link
    PC World

Fiat Lux

• Psychotext 22 Dec 2012 18:46:36 54,167 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funnily enough I was just using my local Sainsbury's as a library and I saw that What Camera rated that one very highly. Will have to have a look at it.

Other ones which seemed to get good ratings were Samsung ST200F, Panasonic SZ1 and Olympus SZ-14 / SH-21.
  • AaronTurner 22 Dec 2012 19:01:02 7,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What about the Olympus tough series? They are shockproof, waterproof etc.
  • Psychotext 22 Dec 2012 19:14:05 54,167 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most of the price goes into that aspect rather than their actual picture taking ability in my experience (this may have changed lately, I've not bothered looking at them in a while). I'm not greatly worried about breaking the camera as long as it's not hundreds of pounds.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next