Guardians of Middle Earth Page 4

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Dec 2012 21:24:39 38,734 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If there's anyone playing tonight, wing me an invite.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• RedSparrows 16 Dec 2012 13:00:51 23,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Matchmaking ARRRGGGGG. So good... when it works...
  • RedSparrows 16 Dec 2012 13:27:22 23,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...then just had a 5v5 on the Shire - perfect game. No lag, no d/c, Mozgog running rampant.
  • DFawkes 16 Dec 2012 13:34:05 23,361 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm really pleasantly surprised how enjoyable this is, given my hate for DOTA2. I like the fact there's less chance of upgrading wrong thanks to there being no mid-game shopping, and I really love the character customisation stuff.

The one thing I think I liked most is using a controller - for me, it just feels right. I feel far more in control of my guardian, where with a mouse I feel more like a spectator. It's simple enough that a controller easily copes with everything you'd need :)

I realise I'm probably alone there, but I don't mind. I'll definitely buy this when I can.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• neilqpr 16 Dec 2012 13:40:57 2,859 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Me and simp had a couple of games v bots in the early hours of the morning. Starting to make a bit more sense. Still a way off actually playing against real people who know what they're doing.
  • Benno 16 Dec 2012 15:51:58 10,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am still really enjoying this. More people should give it a try.
  • RedSparrows 16 Dec 2012 15:57:11 23,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On 360, Benno? Add me if so.

It's a cracking game, marred by network issues.

A team of 5 in Elite Battlegrounds is the best medicine: easiest way of getting a game, the best playground, and better connection due to same country etc.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:57:31 16-12-2012
  • neilqpr 16 Dec 2012 18:23:17 2,859 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Must run away when low on health.

It'll sink in eventually.
  • RedSparrows 16 Dec 2012 20:11:20 23,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Searching for players: 8....9...10/10
    Yay!
    0/10
    WHAT?!
    Yay!
    0/10
    WHAT!?

Patch please!
  • Deleted user 16 December 2012 21:41:07
    Wow, so I've just discovered you can aim your attacks with the right stick.

It's like discovering fire for the first time.

/retard.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2012 21:46:18
    I could play a game or two tonight if people are up for it? Red, can you get on?
  • Deleted user 16 December 2012 22:28:59
    For fucks sake. I swear the lag is getting worse not better.

This is unacceptable, a game that is online only should make doubly sure to be stable. Otherwise it's a waste of time.
  • neilqpr 17 Dec 2012 00:45:21 2,859 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the games and the knowledge you imparted this evening chaps. Getting there slowly but surely. Still haven't learnt the 'run away' part properly yet.
  • RedSparrows 17 Dec 2012 09:10:28 23,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great games last night, had a lot of fun.

5-person team E BG the way to go.
  • DFawkes 17 Dec 2012 14:03:33 23,361 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there DLC out for this? I'm probably be going out to buy points for it soon and would rather get enough for any DLC too, if it's any good.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• agparrot 17 Dec 2012 14:27:13 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There is a season pass, which is 1200 points and includes 8 characters and something called Survival Mode, I know not what this is.

Or you can buy individual characters Bert The Troll or Dildo Fag-ends for 160 points each.

Bilbo Baggins, I meant.
  • agparrot 17 Dec 2012 14:35:04 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also, really enjoyed the games last night, even though I accidentally ended up as Legless and had no idea what I was doing. Thankfully Red's chum Colino was some healy-person and stood together we made a formidable buff, er, gank, um... mumble mumble something.

I am utterly bewildered by the relics and gems and belts and stuff - managed to get in a couple of games with Col earlier, and came up against a lot of people using a lot of the blue-diamond ability-improving gems. Pretty fearsome, and was wondering if there was some way of countering this - damage reflection?

My favourite game so far was the Elite Battlegrounds we lost last night - those guys clearly knew what they were doing, but it was a tense, balanced, sometimes frenetic, often sneakily tactical affair, the balance of which was unclear until that last push they put on after killing the power monsters. I don't even know what that does, to be honest.

/n00b.
  • DFawkes 17 Dec 2012 14:41:01 23,361 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for the info there parrot :)

• Benno 17 Dec 2012 16:04:04 10,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    On 360, Benno? Add me if so.

It's a cracking game, marred by network issues.

A team of 5 in Elite Battlegrounds is the best medicine: easiest way of getting a game, the best playground, and better connection due to same country etc.
    Yeah 360

Although I was on last night and kept on getting DCed (so did everyone else) about 3 mins into the game. Happened about 4 times in a row and decided to give up.
  • agparrot 17 Dec 2012 16:25:30 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DFawkes

It turns out that the survival mode, along with six of the eight Guardians included in the Season Pass, are not available yet.

So it is probably something I will wait for a sale for, to be honest.
  • Aphex666 17 Dec 2012 16:55:29 151 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I started playing this last night and was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. Though I really need to read up on what the skills do for each character.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 17 Dec 2012 17:35:45 10,861 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sooooooo what's this all about then?
  • neilqpr 17 Dec 2012 17:36:15 2,859 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyne messed around with Felgrom? He's nuts, suicide bomber who can also set himself alight damaging others and himself. You die a lot but I'd say in the right hands he could be very damaging.
  • DFawkes 17 Dec 2012 18:09:03 23,361 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    It turns out that the survival mode, along with six of the eight Guardians included in the Season Pass, are not available yet.

So it is probably something I will wait for a sale for, to be honest.
    Ah, fair enough. I can live without Bilbo and Bert for now so shall do the same. I will download that The Shire thing, whatever it is. I assume it'd be best to if playing online.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Dec 2012 18:33:55 38,734 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Its a MOBA in the style of a slowed down and streamlined DOTA.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• S1ates 17 Dec 2012 19:04:37 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This game is awesome but it is really frustrating when trying to get a match with friends in a party, we had to give up in the end which was a shame. Does anyone know of a patch coming to fix this problem?

Edited by S1ates at 20:15:12 17-12-2012
  • agparrot 17 Dec 2012 19:29:59 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DFawkes The Shire thing is essentially just a different skin for the single map, but it is all nice and green and verdant instead of predominantly being made of cobblestones and dust. Like any compatibility patch or game update or whatever, I believe you can only join games where it is in use if you have it yourself. It is free, and quite pretty. I don't know if there are game fixes in the download, too.

Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    I have now tried to type out an answer to that question about three times, and each time I've ended up deleting it as confusing and unsatisfactory. I'm not sure the following explanation is going to be any clearer. It is a MOBA, but I'm still not sure that even means anything to me.

I can't even recommend playing the demo to find out, because it doesn't really go completely towards explaining what it is, although the training skirmish does give you a good impression of how the game feels, and there are 60 minutes of free 'real' playtime included in the demo. It's best to try and play these 60 minutes with other people so that they can explain to you just what in the hell is going on, hopefully.

Imagine you're watching a Real Time Strategy game played between two AIs on a top-down 2D map where all the units that fight each other are the same, and they are trotted out of preset barracks in opposing bases, along preset lanes, past preset defensive towers, to fight one another in what would be an unending war of attrition because without the presence of players, it's a complete stalemate. The single map is made up of three 'lanes' at the top, middle and bottom of the map, each lane has a barracks from each team to pour out little fighter men. The purpose of these fighter men is to approach the enemy base, fight the enemy's fighter men and destroy the defensive towers of the enemy that guard the lanes leading up to the base, the ultimate aim being to destroy the enemy barracks and single, target base tower.

Now drop in a bunch of five human (or AI controlled) super-players, or 'Guardians' on each side. Each one plays a hero character from Tolkien-land, and each one is a member of one of five classes that are essentially attackers, defenders, healers, support troops and people that blow up enemy towers or base buildings better than they do other stuff.

Each hero has a basic attack that varies in range and power based on what kind of dude they are - Gandalf whacks people ineffectually with his stick, Legolas shoots people from much further away with his powerful arrows and, erm, some dwarves smash people with hammers for lots of damage, assuming the targets aren't stood more than their diminutive arm-length away.

Each hero also has four 'powers' that do various things relating to their classes. Many of the powers do damage to enemy drones, or Guardians, or both. Some powers do healing to yourself and/or your chums. Some powers freeze the enemy Guardians in place, or drag them towards you, or push them away, allowing for a deal of tactical positioning in the way that fights between Guardians take place. Each Guardian has a very different balance of powers that is not quite the same as any other Guardian, and you cannot have duplicate Guardians on the same team, so you'll never see two Gandalfs on the same side, although there is nothing to stop opposing teams each featuring a single Gandalf.

At the beginning of each match, each player character is level one, and can gain XP by killing enemy drone fighter-men, destroying enemy towers or, more problematically killing enemy Guardians. As you level up to level 14, the maximum for a match, you also increase the potency of your four powers.

Each power has a cooldown period before you can use it again, meaning that the order you use them in, and the timing of their use are very important. Throwing up a shield that gives a defensive barrier to you and your nearby friendly Guardians seems like a no-brainer for the beginning of a fracas, but if additional enemy Guardians appear part-way through, you'll wonder if you shouldn't have waited to give this boost to save the lives of anyone whose health is suddenly taking a beating.

That is sort of the basics of it.

As you fight more battles, you raise your overarching player level OUTSIDE the battles on another ranking system where you start at one. This allows you access to things like equipping your Guardians with single-use potions, or special commands that allow things like super-healing or a powerful physical attack or the ability to see enemies that are hidden in bushes for a short time. These Guardian-spanning 'Commands' are very powerful, but also have long cooldown times that often number in minutes rather than the seconds of the Guardian Powers.

There is an additional layer of complexity as you gain loot in the form of gold and relics and gems, which RedSparrows details pretty succinctly on page one of this thread.

Yes, there is talk of a patch on the way to address the issues of having to wait a long time to be matchmade into a game and allegedly dealing with some of the lag, although it is often easier to find a game in Elite Battlegrounds than in the default Battlegrounds mode, especially with full parties of five people on your side.

Sometimes you just get games that don't lag at all, and are great. In fact most of mine have been predominantly smooth.

God, I'm still not sure any of that really helped.
  • Benno 17 Dec 2012 19:46:50 10,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow essay! Very nicely put though.

I would go about it more concisely:

Game is awesome. Buy it and enjoy it. Especially if you even remotely like action RPGs and/or RTS games.
  • RedSparrows 17 Dec 2012 20:11:59 23,331 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    S1ates wrote:
    It's game is awesome but is really frustrating when trying to get a match with friends in a party, had to give up in the end which was a shame. Does anyone know of a patch coming to fix this problem?
    Yeah, is a real issue. Patch imminent, on 360 and PS3 (in Europe).

elite Battlegrounds usually ensures your party is kept together.
  • S1ates 17 Dec 2012 20:18:20 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @RedSparrows ah brilliant, the sooner the better! Trying out the Elite Battlegrounds at the moment, been waiting 10minutes so far, which is a shame as I prefer playing against people rather than the AI's!
  • Page

of 10 First / Last