Dark Souls II Page 321

• Page

of 389 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 7 May 2014 19:40:14 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

You know how I was saying the other day about not being able to put my finger on what was bugging me about this game? Well I think I have the answer now
    You know, I'd still be up for playing the game in coop with you, or anyone else who'd be up for it! (on PS3)
    Coop is where the game shines...

I think it can be done if all start a relatively fresh char and stay within soul memory range of each other. Just turn down the gamma value for increased atmosphere and choose a role to play.

But if you have to play with someone else then I understand :p
  • robc84 7 May 2014 19:45:48 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

I'd be up for a co-op run. Only way we'll get quad through the game :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 May 2014 20:01:35 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robc84

Praise the sun!
  • mothercruncher 7 May 2014 20:11:32 7,819 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Don't know if this has been posted yet but this game critique explains why DkS 2 is missing part of its soul, compared to the predecessors. I share part of the sentiments.

Contains SPOILERS!

You know how I was saying the other day about not being able to put my finger on what was bugging me about this game? Well I think I have the answer now
    Half of me agrees with most of his points, the other half thinks he ought to fucking get out more as it's also incredibly nit picky. Dark Souls 2 is still infinitely better than 99% of the other stuff out there even this late into the PS3/Xbox's life. If there are that many irritations, it's a game- stop playing it.
  • quadfather 7 May 2014 20:24:41 13,377 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll be up for some coop. How about tonight? Can do that and it's about time I got back on it

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• robc84 7 May 2014 20:30:45 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I may be able to get on tonight, but doubt I'll be able to get to the pursuer, unless you are re-rolling quad?

Still not sure how we team up on this though. I guess we need that ring and to put our signs in obscure places :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 May 2014 20:35:47 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd be up for it tonight... Apparently soul level is completely irrelevant for summoning we just have to watch our soul memory.
  • robc84 7 May 2014 20:40:31 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd be starting a brand new character though so I'd need a bit of time to get it up and running.

I'm guessing cleric is the best class for a str/fth char?
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 May 2014 20:48:28 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds like a good choice!
  • robc84 7 May 2014 20:56:09 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok I'll get started on it tonight. May not be ready for co-op tonight though. See how it goes.
  • xXJippedXx 7 May 2014 22:01:49 540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Are Vendrick and the ancient dragon beatable in the first playthrough? I've got 4 giant souls but Vendrick pretty much one shots me as soon as I lose enough stamina to keep my distance and the ancient dragon spams his 1 shot AoE all the time!

Im soul lvl. 156!!

xXJippedXx... on EVERYTHING!

• Rhaegyr 7 May 2014 22:51:26 2,723 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They're definitely beatable - Vendrick more so than the Ancient Dragon.

With Vendrick simply circle to his right side and roll when he attacks - he's pretty slow so you shouldn't be getting hit. The fight is long though so patience is key.

Similar story with the Ancient Dragon - the trick here is to attack his right/left rear leg and then when he launches into the air sprint in the direction of his tail shadow so that his AoE attack doesn't one-shot you. Rinse and repeat.

I beat both (after a fair few tries) with a STR/DEX build at SL 120.
  • SomaticSense 7 May 2014 22:52:52 9,147 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They are as beatable as they'll ever be.

By that point you should have your build pretty much sorted, so considering that in each NG+ cycle: a) enemy health increases, b) enemy damage increases, and c) you will be gaining strength via levelling at a much lower rate due to the increase of souls required, then it'll only get harder.

I wouldn't bother with the Ancient Dragon. It's a horrible fight which only rewards you with a Giant Soul. Having that soul makes Vendrick easier, but he will still likely one shot you anyway, so you'll still need to learn to dodge his attacks. He is doable with four souls. In fact, facing Vendrick with just four Giant Souls is a hundred times easier than beating AD to get the fifth, so there's no point other than for the sheer self-masochism.
  • retro74 7 May 2014 22:53:13 294 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vendrick is very beatable, never tried the dragon though

I found the key to beating Vendrick is to not get hit! Lock on to his left left and stay circling round his butt

His swings will miss completely, if you lose that position you may need to dodge roll to get it back

As I said earlier on the thread I needed to hit him 42 times without getting hit on NG
  • VideoGameAddict25 7 May 2014 23:00:50 362 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shrine of Amana can go fuck itself! Stupid Casters and their homing bullshit! :mad:
  • xXJippedXx 8 May 2014 00:04:35 540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago

The rage... ALL the rage!!

Edited by xXJippedXx at 00:09:45 08-05-2014

xXJippedXx... on EVERYTHING!

• robc84 8 May 2014 08:23:11 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Quad and Dan,

Did you guys manage to co-op last night? Where did you get up to?

It's amazing to think how many times I died getting to that second bonfire in the forest 1st time around. This time I managed to get there and drop down and get the fire sword and get back all without dying.

Still can't believe I didn't know about that Estus shard in the well in Majula. What a N00B :)
  • quadfather 8 May 2014 08:40:20 13,377 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robc84

You still know a ton more than me mate :)

We managed to get to the boss and kill it so I've got the soldiers key now.

Started to remember bits and bobs as I was going through. Didn't realise the fire sword would open up the bonfire secret doh! I always thought you needed firebombs! Levelled up dex by one to weild the fire sword and that's about I think. Couple of basic items etc

Didn't realise that you had to set the coop for people in Europe to Allowed instead of restricted either. Probably explains why me and Dan had problems before.

Know what you mean though - I just ran through the forest area to the 2nd bonfire. Fell off the tree a few times coming back up from the firesword but that was the cider kicking in I think :)

• robc84 8 May 2014 08:46:41 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After going out of my way to get the fire sword I'm not sure if I'll even use it. The mace hits pretty hard!

Not sure which stats to level really. I'll need some dex to wield the short bow. Other than that I guess its Str, Fth and the usual Vig, End & Vit.

Ah, I'll have to change my settings then. I knew Dan was French ;-)

I need to go back to Betwixt too to see what I can get for my petrified something.
  • Trafford 8 May 2014 08:48:19 5,971 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got invaded last night, was at the end of my tether after a few attempts at smelty.
    I backed away, gesturing at the fucker. He then messaged me saying ManU!
    Gave me a load of effigies. The name is useful for something I guess 😁;)
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 May 2014 08:57:03 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Didn't realise that you had to set the coop for people in Europe to Allowed instead of restricted either. Probably explains why me and Dan had problems before.

I have no idea how this works - just glad that it does.
  • quadfather 8 May 2014 08:58:03 13,377 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robc84

Did you go cleric in the end? Are you doing str fth?

I think my plan was to do dex /pyro but I'm not sure now.

What do you recommend bearing in mind you know what's coming up and in what order and where you gcan get other stuff etc?

• quadfather 8 May 2014 08:58:43 13,377 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Trafford

Haha!

• robc84 8 May 2014 09:03:39 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well if you are going dex / pyro, I'd plug faith a bit too (although maybe not straight away). It will scale up your pyro glove and if you get it up to 22 you can use the lightning spear which is all kinds of awesome.

To get the pyro glove you'll need a fragrant branch. Can't remember where the first one is. Anyone?

If you want a decent dex weapon, the uchi is always good so you'd need to get to iron keep (there is another katana that drops there too). I'd recommend we head that way anyway as if we are co-oping, we may as well join the sunbro's in harvest valley.

What do you guys think?
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 May 2014 09:05:23 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robc84 - We gonna make you wear the red eye ring and carry a big shield while me and quad engage the enemies from a safe distance via bow and magic. I like this plan... haha
  • robc84 8 May 2014 09:07:44 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

I'm cool with that. I'm used to dodging with my dex build, so a nice big shield will make it nice and easy :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 May 2014 09:16:03 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather The black hunter bow is located quite late into the game. We could get some basic spells and miracles early in the game but dex weapon wise it's a bit bleak at the start.
  • quadfather 8 May 2014 09:19:03 13,377 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Well if you are going dex / pyro, I'd plug faith a bit too (although maybe not straight away). It will scale up your pyro glove and if you get it up to 22 you can use the lightning spear which is all kinds of awesome.

To get the pyro glove you'll need a fragrant branch. Can't remember where the first one is. Anyone?

If you want a decent dex weapon, the uchi is always good so you'd need to get to iron keep (there is another katana that drops there too). I'd recommend we head that way anyway as if we are co-oping, we may as well join the sunbro's in harvest valley.

What do you guys think?
    ah ffs, my last character needed a fragrant branch too and I was struggling in huntsmans copse trying to get to earthern peak. As far as I know, that's the first one you can get? (After heide flame tower + talking to cleric woman to move her)

Is that right?

Maybe I should do str/fth/pyro then?

Or maybe just str fth?

Is it really worth pumping adaptability to be more mobile? What's the score with general levelling and fightning? I just want to get it right. Already fucked one character :)

In fact, what's a good route to take throughout the entire game?

• quadfather 8 May 2014 09:20:02 13,377 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @quadfather The black hunter bow is located quite late into the game. We could get some basic spells and miracles early in the game but dex weapon wise it's a bit bleak at the start.
    I might as well go strength then and utilise a short bow and some miracles? Is that a good idea?

• robc84 8 May 2014 09:25:53 6,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather

Like I said, if we go Huntsman's Copse, Harvest Valley, Earthen Peak, Iron Keep we can join the sunbros, pick up your branch and get the ember to unlock the blacksmith in Lost Bastille. There you can buy your uchi :)

Thoughts?
  • Page

of 389 First / Last