/pulls up a chair

/smiles

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Lotos8ter 8 Dec 2012 14:17:41 2,360 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Preview of the game is the cover story of the next issue of edge apparently
    Typical. I cancelled my subscription last month.

Can't flipping wait for this. Dark Souls has been my game of the generation and this news is an early Chrimbo present for me.

Conflicting info on Miyazaki's involvement, and I'm not sure about approachable/understandable. I love how lore is treated in the games and is open to interpretation and exploration by the player. I don't want hand holding or "Try a poison arrow" developer messages thank you. Equally, I don't want unfair or cheesy (Sniper archers & bed of chaos). But basically this is getting bought on day 1

Fiat Lux

• GuiltySpark 8 Dec 2012 14:27:07 6,401 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope this game is a lot more cinematic and pleasing to look at than the last. Fighting most of the bosses felt like I was trying to glitch it or something. Didn't look good at all.

And those back jump things the enemies do look ridiculous.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 14:27:54 08-12-2012

Get bent.

• sport 8 Dec 2012 14:27:52 12,758 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Conflicting info on Miyazaki's involvement, and I'm not sure about approachable/understandable.
    They've confirmed quicktime events for the boss fights.
  • Lotos8ter 8 Dec 2012 14:31:01 2,360 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @sport I think QTE's are wank. I never finsihed God of War 2 thanks to those and they have little to add to a good game IMO. Oh well.

Fiat Lux

• mcmothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 14:38:10 7,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, QTE's and, on holding down a button, the game will draw a glowing path for you to follow to your next checkpoint too apparently.

Oh, and lots of enemies conveniently standing next to red explosive barrels.
  • quadfather 8 Dec 2012 14:42:34 12,265 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's being made by the same guys that made demon's souls and dark souls.

Shrug.

• Cappy 8 Dec 2012 14:50:40 11,968 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope Namco Bandai give them more leeway for this one, Dark Souls could have used more polish and both console versions suffered for it. Originally the 360 version was supposed to be handled by the publisher somehow it ended up back in From Soft's lap, some of the roughness and poor performance has to come as a result of that decision.

Then they had them do the PC version, something From Soft clearly didn't have the staff and experience for internally. Namco Bandai are just not the right publishing partner for delivering quality it seems.
  • quadfather 8 Dec 2012 14:54:59 12,265 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    It's being made by the same guys that made demon's souls and dark souls.

Shrug.
    :)

• mcmothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 15:02:17 7,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Listen, as long as, when you're finding a certain section too hard and you've tried it, lets say, twice and died, we get the option to skip it this time, I'm happy.
  • quadfather 8 Dec 2012 15:03:22 12,265 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm just going to repeatedly quote myself :)

• mcmothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 15:06:59 7,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK, three times ;)
  • quadfather 8 Dec 2012 15:23:30 12,265 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Plenty of time to repost more to Piss everyone off ;)

• senso-ji 8 Dec 2012 15:39:40 5,923 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is amazing news. I just hope that Bamco give From the time and money needed to put out a complete and polished game. No doubt Dark Souls was amazing, but it felt 'complete' a year later with the PTE edition adding more story, improved frame rate and more balanced PvP.

Even if it ends up being delayed and released on PS3 and Xbox 360 when a new generation of consoles arrive, I'll happily take it.
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 16:19:15 7,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm probably suffering from terrible, and incurable stockhausen syndrome with the Souls games, but I don't care too much about improvements to the engine.
    I know it was a touch ropey framerate-wise but, at times, the vista's were breathtaking.

I just want more of that exquisite game design. I'll take the exact same engine with juicy new plots, scenarios and mechanics please. More polished graphics a bonus, of course, but not crucial to me.

I am a bit concerned about the lack of Mr Miyazaki. It's not that the third Souls game categorically won't be as good without him, it's that with all of the depth and complexity involved in Dark Souls 2, there must have been many, many times he needed to make very fine judgement calls on gameplay approach and balance.
    Who knows quite what judgements the new guy will make during production?
  • ZuluHero 8 Dec 2012 17:38:11 4,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Yup, QTE's and, on holding down a button, the game will draw a glowing path for you to follow to your next checkpoint too apparently.

Oh, and lots of enemies conveniently standing next to red explosive barrels.
    You forgot the glowing weak points ;)
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 17:47:37
    I hope the more ‘accessible’ part doesn’t mean you can modify the difficulty or there’s a more obvious tutorial during the game. What’s amazing about Dark Souls is the lack of help you get anywhere apart from on the messages on the ground. Every decision is down to me as a player and I’m not treated like a cretin like I am with most other games...

I AM SO EXCITED.
  • quadfather 8 Dec 2012 18:17:52 12,265 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @lukejones - totally agree. I tend to give up.on most games nowadays. Probably my age etc, but the souls games, once you've got into them, give soo much back. I cannot think of any other game that does that. They've both been a massive breath of fresh air for me. Literally cannot wait

• aeschylus 8 Dec 2012 18:23:29 446 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This can not be years away surely or either that it would mean no new consoles in 2013?
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 8 Dec 2012 18:47:02 414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher Totally agree on Miyazaki, Dark and Demon Souls are the most cohesive games I've ever played, where every single element feeds into the gameplay and story. If just a few decisions go the way of Monster Hunter rather than traditional Souls, it could throw it slightly off balance.

If they hired someone from Monster Hunter though, hopefully that means the pvp/coop will get some more polish and better netcode. There'll always be Dark and Demons for the pure Souls experience, I'd appreciate some more online focus this time round.
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Dec 2012 23:11:19 7,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    According to Reddit, this is from the Edge article:

"An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?
    There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?
    As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task."
    Anyone a bit worried about this? The new director seems pretty settled in making this game more straightforward and less subtle. Probably my favorite thing about Dark Souls it's how subtle it is. How you have to piece everything together in order to understand the lore. How you have to observe the environment in order to figure out what awaits you. How you have to explore the areas to actually be rewarded.
    It also worries me that they say "a new Hero". This could be interpreted in many ways, but I really hope that they don't mean that there is a fixed Hero that talks and has a personality and everything. One of the beauties of Dark Souls is that you can actually role play and be whoever you want."

I dunno, I don't want to be elitist about it, but the mention of "Elder Scrolls" and "more direct" worries me a touch.
  • King_Edward 9 Dec 2012 00:19:52 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If the plan is 'make it more like Elder Scrolls' then yeah, that's off putting. Totally different games, and I don't see anything in Skyrim I'd want to see in Dark Souls.
  • figaro7 9 Dec 2012 02:14:51 1,364 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact that it has QTE's is worrying in itself.. Still ill show some faith in from software.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 02:29:32
    Not played it myself, but I hear ZombieU is similar. The punishment is ace, but is this as stomach churning? ZombiU is not pleasant game and makes me constantly nervous! :D
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Dec 2012 09:13:30 7,100 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the QTE's are a leg pulling exercise... at least I was joking.
  • ZuluHero 9 Dec 2012 09:20:16 4,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have they said anything about QTEs or is it just us joking about making it more accessible based on that earlier quote?
  • King_Edward 9 Dec 2012 09:27:36 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No. They didn't mention Elder Scrolls either, that was the Edge guy.

@CrispyXUK It is totally nerve shattering, adapt or die design.
  • Dangerous_Dan 9 Dec 2012 09:35:09 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher
    The article you just quoted makes me worried. The things which are special in the Souls games are the melee mechanic, the multiplayer aspect, the non narrative but myth building story approach, the death mechanic, the difficulty which rewards patience and persistence,...

They need to be careful to keep this game special and not make it more generic - also from a business point of view.

I don't think they want to turn it into an Elder Scrolls game. They'd like to persuade some of those Skyrim buyers to also get Dark Souls 2 which is futile and dangerous.

Skyrim was, much, much more expensive in development compared to Dark Souls. And to make DkS more mass user friendly you'd need much more content and variation.

DkS doesn't get boring because of the challenge and the things you try to figure out in your head.
    Skyrim needs to entertain people, to make them wonder what's around the next corner or what lies beyond the next mountain top. That requires a lot more variation in enemy, scenery and overall a lot more content. And that's expensive.

Some other aspects of this were mentioned in an EnB video:

...about the difficulty.

_.:>
    Anyway, the trailer looks good and the mood is right up my alley.

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
    DARK SOULS II
    <<<<<<<>>>>>>>
  • Tuffty 9 Dec 2012 10:07:13 1,606 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Keep in mind, the mention to Elder Scrolls was made by the Edge writer, not by anyone at From Software. It's still too early to say anything at this point but all I do know, is that I am ridiculously excited for this.
  • teamHAM 9 Dec 2012 10:17:54 2,979 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well you know what they say, if it aint frikkin broken..........

If with Dark Souls II they change it up and take it down the more traditional western RPG route, then I will be out. Because without doubt Bethesda and various other developers will do it better than From Soft.

The atmosphere, ambiance, difficulty and mystery are the unique selling points of the soul series and it's why I bought the game. Take that away and it's a completely different product. If I want to play a western-style open world RPG in the style of Elder Scrolls then I will play Skyrim, not some watered down Dark Souls II.

I know the top brass will be banging on about profits and making more money and they will see that the souls series has somewhat of a cult following, but history has proven that in the end you are better off sticking with your core values and improving on them rather than copying someone elses formula in the hope of cashing in.

Hopefully when From Soft are talking about "accessible" they are referring to small changes and ironing out some of the minor obscurities and keeping the core values of the soul series intact, rather than making radical wholesale changes that the media are already insinuating.

Anyway, I digress. It's probably well to early to be really worried about this just yet. But I will be watching the next few months unfold with a keen eye to see how this turns out.

Edited by teamHAM at 10:19:35 09-12-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Page

of 386 First / Last