Dark Souls II Page 7

• Page

of 385 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Dec 2012 12:04:38 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @senso-ji Yes, it sounds bad. Dark Souls 2 is going to be quite different from Demon's and Dark Souls. I'm now more curious about Miyazaki's new project.

So it looks like Bamco wants to reach a bigger audience. That's why they got rid of the guy who made the game special'n'enigmatic and throw a lot of money at it.

But what I think that DkS showed is that there are many people out there who want a challenge and are ready to put some effort into a game. I hope that catches on.
  • Architect_z 18 Dec 2012 16:17:27 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I hope i'm proven wrong, but we may have to embrace for a fail here dudes.
    Now they've gotten rid of the godfather, the games are possibly done for.
    All I can see is a hard version of 3rd person Skyrim.

I love Demon's and Dark Souls just the way they are, they are my favourite games of all time.
  • quadfather 18 Dec 2012 16:22:37 12,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Agreed. It'll be a massive shame if they cash it up.

Still, you never know, these 2 New directors are unknowns so they could bring something different and still brilliant to the table. After all, miyazaki did, didn't he

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• King_Edward 18 Dec 2012 16:48:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. Pessimism is the safest way to go.
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Dec 2012 16:53:12 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather Hehe, unwavering optimism.

But yes, it might end up being a very good game, though different. But hey, there always will be Demon's and Dark Souls.
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Dec 2012 17:00:53 1,482 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm staying optimistic at the moment, it could still very much be a souls game with the changes assuming they don't go overboard. The stuff in the trailer is a bit of a bad omen, but it is just a trailer. It's a bit early to judge when the games only 25% complete.

For the emperor!

• L_Franko Moderator 18 Dec 2012 17:07:40 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was always going to be worry with the announcement of a new Souls game because the series is becoming more popular which normally means bigger bells and louder whistles.
    I'm holding out for a great game and one that will fit nicely alongside the other two.
    At the moment I'm more excited that there is going to be a new Souls game. I'll wait a bit before I allow myself to worry about how it plays.
  • quadfather 18 Dec 2012 18:21:41 12,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko - well said that man. Completely agree.

Re the trailer I'm not really bothered. Trailers are hardly ever true to the game. Dead island anyone?

@dan - too right! Someone's got to believe :)

• SomaticSense 20 Dec 2012 00:36:18 8,337 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For me it's so important that this game is a worthy sequel, so it's crushing to hear the those soundbites from Edge.

I missed out on Dark Souls at launch, and didn't play Demon's until last summer, so I am really hankering for that 'blind adventuring' feel that a number of you guys had for both those games. That feeling that you are discovering everything together with everyone else, a feeling I didn't have the chance to get with DeS or DkS.

For this reason another Souls game has been my most anticipated game by some distance. Probably ever. There is not another game anywhere out there this gen that is remotely like the same experience, so I'm counting on this being amazing. Yet everything I've heard since the trailer has not been inspiring to say the least.

So if Bamco/From screw this up, I'll be properly devastated. As soon as one great new franchise surfaces to cut through the military, 'persistant XP', morality meter money-grubbing bullshit, it'll be a damn shame if they ruin it and redirect the franchise down that highway to banality that the rest of modern gaming seems to be currently travelling towards.

Edited by SomaticSense at 00:37:54 20-12-2012
  • teamHAM 20 Dec 2012 02:24:55 2,946 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    So if Bamco/From screw this up, I'll be properly devastated.
    You and many others my friend. You and many others.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Architect_z 20 Dec 2012 10:04:26 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe its all deceptive, and we'll love it more coz we thought it was gonna fail.
    I don't really care who directs it to be honest. The storyline is cool but as with demon's souls I wasnt massivley bothered about the story.
    The combat, difficulty, exploration and design of the game were enough to keep me interested. If they stick to that formula, i'll be happy.
  • quadfather 20 Dec 2012 10:52:40 12,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Come on chaps, chin up!

• Architect_z 20 Dec 2012 11:36:34 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather - Hahahaha, yeh good point. We should stop acting like little soppy emo noobs and crying like little whiney bitches.

Praise The Sun!!!!

\o/

Edited by Architect_z at 11:37:07 20-12-2012
  • Fixxxer 20 Dec 2012 12:23:07 1,304 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And, conversely, all this talk of the game being more accessible makes me more excited for it \o/

Let's maybe have some NPCs that survive the entire game!
    Let's get rid of that pointless run to the boss from the bonfire which serves no purpose other than to annoy! More incentive to experiment and improve for bosses (much like Trials HD, straight back into the action) and not run to a Wiki because you can't be bothered to commute to the boss again
    Let's get rid of barrier-less arenas for large bosses unless they sort out the camera facing the sky when they're nearby!
    Let's make the lock-on work over long distances), you cheating centipede cunt!
    Let's make it stay locked on!
    Let's explain concepts like poise and stability!
    Let's not have two person bosses that virtually necessitate summoning!
    Let's allow players to reassign skill points rather than spending hours on wikis working out what's best or even more hours creating a new character!
    Let's show the full weapon upgrade path so I know if a weapon is going to end up scaling S, A or stay at C and not waste my once-a-game items!
    Let's explain what covenants actually do!
    Let's get rid of the concept of illusory walls or at least mark them out as different in some way!
    Let's not have any invisible paths!

This game I would love.
  • quadfather 20 Dec 2012 13:01:04 12,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Fucking roger that :)

• King_Edward 20 Dec 2012 13:03:20 11,454 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can get that game elsewhere. I just want more Dark Souls.
  • Dangerous_Dan 20 Dec 2012 13:12:00 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    - They all can if you really try hard.

Let's get rid of that pointless run to the boss from the bonfire which serves no purpose other than to annoy! More incentive to experiment and improve for bosses (much like Trials HD, straight back into the action) and not run to a Wiki because you can't be bothered to commute to the boss again
    - There is a point to it, the same point why there is no immediate Auto-Save every few steps. Besides the multiplayer aspect would not work at all.

Let's get rid of barrier-less arenas for large bosses unless they sort out the camera facing the sky when they're nearby!
    - I found the camera to be quite alright in most cases, try the other camera option in the menu.

- So you can shoot your bow without manual aiming and take out enemies via magic from a great distance? Would be convenient, wouldn't it? - No thanks!

- Nope.

- Yeah well I'd put that in the manual actually, describing it a bit cryptic but still putting that info out there for the observant people.

- Summon Solaire!

Let's allow players to reassign skill points rather than spending hours on wikis working out what's best or even more hours creating a new character!
    - Ah well No! Would make the RPG stats aspect as pointless as in Diablo 3. One of the main reasons why Diablo 3 has no staying power compared with Diablo 2.

Let's show the full weapon upgrade path so I know if a weapon is going to end up scaling S, A or stay at C and not waste my once-a-game items!
    - Well maybe put in some hints in the manual on what to expect from the upgrade paths or something but in reality you don't have to spend a titanite slab to see what the weapon is going to end up with at +15, just a few chunks which are pretty easy to come by at the end of NG or farmed from the dark wraiths.

- That could be explained better in the game, yes, but still I don't like the "in your face you numpty" approach of most modern games.

Let's get rid of the concept of illusory walls or at least mark them out as different in some way!
    - No, no no there is a point to a hidden wall being hidden and not showing up on some Batman-x-ray vision scanner. And actually most if not all of the hidden walls in the game make sense if you take your time and think about the layout or if online read some messages at walls or even partly in walls.

- What?! They are one of the most heart-rate increasing parts in the game. The only section I'm always careful is when getting the blue titanite slab. Still always amps my heart beat while using glowing stones to mark my path and look for the cliffs.

Hehe you sure like your games to be convenient, am I right?
  • Widge Moderator 20 Dec 2012 13:23:19 13,593 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Illusion walls. I, by habit, go around striking walls that look suspicious. So they tend to be a reward for the curious.

In fact the entire game is a reward for the curious. People who don't take large areas that are off the beaten path with no discernible point for granted, who will go around prodding bits, coming back when human, equipping different items.

I might try playing the next game completely without assistance and forum browsing.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• DUFFKING 20 Dec 2012 13:28:44 7,263 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fixxxer wrote:
    And, conversely, all this talk of the game being more accessible makes me more excited for it \o/

This game I would love.
    Nope to pretty much 95% of that.

And Ornstein/Smough is my fave boss in the game.
  • Architect_z 20 Dec 2012 13:41:49 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fixxxer - Unfortunatley I don't really agree with many of the points raised. All fanboyism aside I think its hard to change Dark Souls mechanics as they are already pretty much perfect. Plus I like finding stuff out either myself, through the wiki's or through people on here in the forums. Plus upgrade paths for weapons etc, is my bedtime reading. ^_^

Improvements/Changes i'd like to see:

-Warp available from the beggining (if bonfires are still part of the game)

-More levelling up in covenants and more awards for staying loyal to the covenant. (This would mean people would stay with covenants for longer, and in theory increase longevity of the game)

-An item which allows you to invite or invade people on your friends list. (That can be obtained after your first playthrough.)

-Demon's Souls approach to boss fights, with some sort of puzzle element, or boss weak spot. (Like the Tower Knight, you had to strike his ankle to make him fall, and then he was venerable to attacks, or the stealth element in the dragon god boss).

-Variable Boss attacks, where the boss uses different attacks if co-op play is happening. I think this is a good idea, as some bosses can be very easily overthrown when another player is summoned.

Theres probably more i can think of, but those are the main changes i'd make.

Edited by Architect_z at 13:46:00 20-12-2012
  • Widge Moderator 20 Dec 2012 13:46:01 13,593 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "stealth element in the dragon god boss"

Lost Izalith boss was like that I believe?

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Architect_z 20 Dec 2012 13:52:36 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really? I'm convinced i've missed a boss in lost izalith. WHich one? I killed both the centipede and the tree of lameness
  • DUFFKING 20 Dec 2012 13:54:35 7,263 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:

I dunno, Bed of Chaos was possibly the worst boss ever seen in a videogame. Dragon God was actually quite fun.
  • L_Franko Moderator 20 Dec 2012 13:57:23 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Widge wrote:

I'd say the LI boss was more of a luck experience. I didn't see anyway to sneak in the fight.

It was also a massive pain in the arse!

Edited by L_Franko at 13:58:12 20-12-2012
  • Fixxxer 20 Dec 2012 14:05:26 1,304 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    - So you can shoot your bow without manual aiming and take out enemies via magic from a great distance? Would be convenient, wouldn't it? - No thanks!

- Nope.

Hehe you sure like your games to be convenient, am I right?
    Well I never used a bow in a boss fight so that might explain my anger on this one. I just got seriously pissed off with bosses going out of range, losing the lock on (and not realising this has happened)and then running the wrong way rather than backing off and getting hit.

And I highlighted the centipede as being particularly bad as he would sit out of lock on range and just punch you and because you're not locked on you can't strafe.

Convenient? Possibly yes but I really enjoyed the difficulty and the fighting mechanics. I think an RPG Trials HD is what I'm after. It can continue being bleak and desolate though, I'm fine with that for the most part.

Edited by Fixxxer at 14:07:03 20-12-2012
  • quadfather 20 Dec 2012 14:08:52 12,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can sneak a little bit by hugging the wall on the left as you go in. Then you can kill the first globe with your bow. You're completely safe throughout as well.

Can't remember if you can do this on the one on the right though

• L_Franko Moderator 20 Dec 2012 14:16:52 9,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    You can sneak a little bit by hugging the wall on the left as you go in. Then you can kill the first globe with your bow. You're completely safe throughout as well.

Can't remember if you can do this on the one on the right though
    I think the floor is knocked away so you can't do it on the right.I found the best strategy is to go for the right first, then do what you mention for the left hand side.

If you think about it it is probably one of the quicker bosses to do if you get the tactic right.
    Still sucks though.
  • Widge Moderator 20 Dec 2012 14:20:39 13,593 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, I meant the tree boss was a "kill it by puzzle" affair like dragon god.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 385 First / Last