Wii -> Wii U VC transfer: potential to be complete PITA?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • YenRug 5 Dec 2012 15:08:33 2,448 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay, my old Wii is now at my parents house, about 20 miles away. I've got a reasonable collection of VC games on it, as I recall, so I was thinking of doing the transfer to my Wii U, however, I'm not completely sure of how it's done and it's sounding like there's some restrictions.

So, to start with, how does it work exactly? From what I've picked up, so far, you have to run your Wii U in Wii mode and there's a transfer app that you have to copy onto an SD card, put that SD card into your old Wii and then it backs up everything onto the SD card ready to be loaded when you put it back into the Wii U. That leaves me with some questions:

1. There's a load of VC downloads on the SD card that's in my old machine, do I have to install the transfer app on that exact SD card or can I put the transfer app on any other SD card, load it up on the old Wii and then swap back to the original SD card to back up onto?

2. In the DF article on the front page, about the problems with the Wii emulation, it says that you can only use 512MB of internal storage; does it still recognise VC games on an inserted SD card, doing that active memory space swap thing to play them each time?

I have to say, it was a little disappointing to read that you have to run in Wii mode to play the transferred VC titles; when I first heard that you could transfer them, from your old Wii to your Wii U, that they were going to actually run in the Wii U environment rather than in emulation mode.
  • Razz 5 Dec 2012 15:11:43 61,661 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't answer the question about the VC games on an SD but I will say that you download the wIi transfer channel on the old Wii console also and run it at the same time you run the on the Wii U.

I assume you wouldn't lose the games from your SD card, what if you uninstall a game? Surely you can re-download it for free anyway. Seeing as you copy your store profile, i.e. outstanding points, surely it would honour old purchases. This is all supposition of course, I have no idea.

Edited by Razz at 15:22:16 05-12-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• AcidSnake 5 Dec 2012 15:13:43 7,298 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It makes sense for them to make the VC games Wii U compatible in future...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• YenRug 5 Dec 2012 15:26:50 2,448 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I can't answer the question about the VC games on an SD but I will say that you download the wIi transfer channel on the old Wii console also and run it at the same time you run the on the Wii U.

I assume you wouldn't lose the games from your SD card, I mean what i you uninstall a game, surely you can re-download it for free anyway. Seeing as you copy your store profile, i.e. outstanding points, surely it would honour old purchases.
    OK, that's a bit more info: it's actually backing up your store profile, rather than the games as such, it's more a case of convenience if they're already downloaded?

When you say you have to run it at the same time on both systems, is that literally, or just for convenience, i.e. do you get alternating prompts/requests on one system and then the other throughout the transfer, or can you do the complete back up on the Wii and then restore it on the Wii U later?
  • midi82 5 Dec 2012 15:30:00 697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Basically you download an app on the wii u, stick in a SD card and it does some stuff. Then you go on the wii and download the transfer app from the wii shop, that will prompt you to put in the SD card, do that and everyhting is copied to the SD card, and then you go back to the wii u and it will copy everything from the SD card onto the wii u.

You don't need them both on at the same time and the process is fairly easy to follow. It takes a while though, although the accompanying animation is great.
  • Razz 5 Dec 2012 15:38:51 61,661 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mostly for convenience, Firstly the Wii U "prepares" the SD card, I think this is some kind of formatting and Console ID license stuff as it takes a minute or so, then you take it out and boot up the Wii transfer channel on the old Wii, go through the prompts until it asks for the SD card from the Wii U, stick it in and watch the gorgeous animation for a few minutes (may be longer on yours - I only have a few games), then stick it back in the Wii U (in the Wii transfer tool), and the animation continues (takes a fair bit longer). Done.
    I don't see why you'd have to do it in one sitting, but guides on the internet seem to suggest you have to.

Edited by Razz at 16:31:35 05-12-2012

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• MatMan562 5 Dec 2012 16:23:24 2,615 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It definately takes across all purchases, it notified me of this a couple times beforehand and told me what games I had purchased but not downloaded after it had done, telling me to go and re-download them.

Also, in case you don't know, it completely wipes everything from the Wii so would leave your parents with no game saves, VC games, Miis or anything.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Page

of 1

Previous Next