Singapore/Malaysia/SE Asia Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 10:17:34 58,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I will second (third?) HK. Ive been to several parts of Thailand, Japan and Singapore and HK is probably my favourite out of all of them. Its just a fascinating place, like Britain and China collided head on and left HK by the roadside.

When we went, it was the fortnight leading up to Disneyland Asia opening (on a reclaimed island) and everywhere was Disney crazy but with a weird sino twist. Its also the place where I broke my digestive system by ordering the spicy noodles. Spicy? Try thermofuckingnuclear.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 28 November 2012 10:19:48
    I hear its a good place to tell women you've paid to go out with you on one date that you love them.
  • pinebear 28 Nov 2012 10:53:37 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Also, pack your bag. Then take out half of what you packed and leave that behind.
    Which half?

• Deleted user 28 November 2012 10:54:14
    The left hand side.
  • Tonka 28 Nov 2012 11:41:55 20,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The unnecessary half of course.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Armoured_Bear 28 Nov 2012 13:29:15 10,234 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Malaysia is really strange. So many cultural influences, so much variety of food, but in many ways it has somehow taken the worst from each rather than the best. Very bland at any rate.
    I hope you were just unlucky, looks good to me.
    Indeed

I've read in many places that the street food is amongst the best anywhere in SE Asia so your experience is interesting.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• SYS64738 28 Nov 2012 13:52:46 1,575 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been to Malaysia twice so far, both times KL which is just ok but nothing you wouldn't get or see in other Asian countries. Also visited Melaka which was a right old dive and the worst trip I've undertaken, ever.

Apparently though the islands off the east coast can be nice but are more coupley places and it takes some effort/money to get there (relatively speaking). You could try and see if there are flights/boats to there from Singapore maybe.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Nov 2012 13:54:16 10,234 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks awesome

• RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 14:13:35 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My Cantonese extends to a few words, but people appreciate you trying!

I said thank you to the passport control guy and he reeled off a huge sentence of which I understood absolutely nothing. I said "I only know a few words." to which he replied "That's ok, I speak English too."

As @nickthegun said, Disneyland HK is good fun, on the same island is the giant buddha, which can be reached by a gigantic and very high cable car. Scary but amazing views. (First time I went I had to get a bus which took about an hour and a bit on tight winding roads, so the cable car is definitely a blessing)
  • SYS64738 28 Nov 2012 14:16:57 1,575 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hehe yeah the bus drivers bringing you to the Buddha are suicidal. Still better than the cable car though, took us ages queueing last time, not doing that again.
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 14:31:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SYS64738 More homicidal I think!
    I'm surprised at the queue, must have been a busy time, I went in Feb last year and took about 10-15 mins max to get to the cable car.

If you go to the buddha by the way, near to it is a really nice temple, they do excellent vegetarian food, I got a voucher on entry somewhere, well worth doing.
  • SYS64738 28 Nov 2012 14:52:03 1,575 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Went there April 2 years ago and in Nov 2006, only went with the cable car second time around, there was no queue outside but within the building, out of plain sight, and it still took us well over an hour (didnt go for the slightly more expensive priority tickets which was our mistake). First time the queue stretched til the bus terminal hence why I took the bus, which is a scenic drive if you don't pay attention to the actual driving...

Yeah I tried the veggie place, didn't like it that much personally but I could easily survive on nothing but meat. Still it's worth going while you're up there, yes.
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 14:58:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SYS64738 Maybe I was really hungry, but you got a fair load of food and mine seemed really tasty! That queue seems crazy, I got the glass bottomed car, looking down was bloody terrifying, but in a thrilling way!

Used to love going to eat in restaurants in the New Territories. Would go to Fanling and places in the very north, would always get stared at but the food was good!
  • SYS64738 28 Nov 2012 15:12:44 1,575 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

Never ventured further out I have to admit. But I love HK, best skyline in the world by quite a margin and great little bars and restaurants. And shopping wise theres nothing you can't buy! Next time I'm there will check out Macao, even just for a day trip.

Boy I miss Asia... Actually planning a holiday for next year with the missus, Thailand and Japan again, cannot wait... Will be in April so Songkran in TH and cherry blossom in JP, awesome:)
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 15:27:31 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SYS64738 Macau is good fun, like halfway between HK and Portgual, cobbled streets in places, but nice. Definitely go up the tower, just be wary of the boat ride over, sit in the middle if you can to avoid the crazy swaying at times.

I was with family from the NT at the time, so they knew where to go, might be a bit difficult without speaking Cantonese as menus tend to be Chinese only.

I've always wanted to go to Japan, that's what growing up with imported SNES games and reading Super Play does to you...
  • SYS64738 28 Nov 2012 15:53:32 1,575 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep thats what I hear, shame we didn't have enough time last time to visit.

Japan is cool (in a geeky and/or just plain industrial way), been there a few times already over the years. Tokyo is a true metropolis, lots to see and do, great food (cheap quality sushi for example) and nightlife. And everything is so efficient, polite, modern and clean.... When I came back to Europe after the first trip I just thought "bloody savages". Great place for holidays but couldn't live there tho to be fair as they are still quite racist towards non tourist foreigners.
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 16:08:47 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SYS64738 have been watching Tokyo Eye on NHK in the hope that I can go see it one day soon!
  • SClaw 28 Nov 2012 16:30:10 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HK is one of my favourite places in the world. Everything is just so… eh… casually cool? I don’t know how to put it. The whole place seems unplanned and a bit crazy but just works and looks fantastic. It’s like the Fonz of cities. Last time I was there I basically just rode the Star ferry all day between various Starbucks. If you go, do yourself a favour and visit the insanity of Langham Place Mall (or something like that) which has the most terrifying escalator I’ve ever been on.

Japan – Tokyo at least – made my head hurt. I’ve been to some absolute shitholes (many major cities in West Africa, for example) but nowhere scared me like Tokyo did (not in a security way – never felt safer anywhere). It’s just so… huge… super huge… and it’s just walls and walls of buildings everywhere. Not that there aren’t some great places there (the palace, etc, the tourist shit basically) but my country-boy brain couldn’t handle it*. Rural Japan is like being a Martian visiting the bemused humans on earth, but much cooler and nicer and more relaxed (just don’t eat the tofu based food because it’s gross… or natto, which is the ultimate grossness).

Mainland China I love. It’s a bit busy everywhere and there’s a real car crash of old communism and new money but everywhere I’ve been everyone is just stupidly friendly, and even a little of the beaten track it’s dirt cheap for food and drink. Plus amazing buildings (Great Wall is not, in my opinion, the best of them by a long shot – it’s a bit shit up close).

*Bonus Japan Story: Bemused and tired and hungry I followed the recommendation of another traveller to visit this “bar/restaurant” on about the millionth floor of a building somewhere. I don’t even remember how I got there. Anyway, at the door some rather unfortunate guy had to explain you paid based on time on entry (or exit or something, I forgot because I got REALLY drunk) in broken English… ok… a bit weird. Inside there’s a bar (which is free) and a buffet thing. The place is a bit hip looking but nothing unusual. Drinking drinking drinking… free bar not good for Englishman… SUDDENLY RAVE. I mean that. Just out of nowhere about two dozen girls jump into this empty space, the lights go all flashy and RAVE. EVERYONE RAVE. It was a but jarring after about 30 bottles of some of tiny Asian beer. I still have no idea what that was about…
  • nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 16:36:33 58,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive mentioned it before, but the only time we went out in Tokyo without the Japanese girl we had gone to visit, we went to a karaoke bar.

At least we thought it was a karaoke bar until the girl on stage didn’t sing but took her clothes off, shat on a plastic sheet and rolled around in it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Nov 2012 17:11:37 37,300 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That sounds like a visual representation of most karaoke bars anyway.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Phattso Moderator 4 Feb 2013 08:41:36 13,188 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did Ecosse ever come back and report his experiences after this? Or did he get a bout of the shits and die of dysentery?
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 08:50:36 6,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The plane broke and had to redirect to the closest major airport. So here I am, unexpectedly spending a day in Singapore.

It's nice! Reminds me of Hong Kong with all the shopping and expats around.

But it's also muggy as fuck, like a sauna. Which is also like HK, come to think of it.
  • mrharvest 4 Feb 2013 18:02:16 5,184 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So... Do the well travelled forumites reckon HK would be nice to live in? We are definitely moving out from Tanzania this year and Vietnam and Hong Kong are at the top of our list atm.

I was six months in Malaysia and I thought they had the best food on the peninsula.
  • the_dudefather 4 Feb 2013 19:20:39 9,177 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The plane broke and had to redirect to the closest major airport. So here I am, unexpectedly spending a day in Singapore.

It's nice! Reminds me of Hong Kong with all the shopping and expats around.

But it's also muggy as fuck, like a sauna. Which is also like HK, come to think of it.
    I was there for a day last September, it was pretty damn humid

Good thing there is a giant hive of multi-leveled shopping centers that covers 90% of the city with plenty of air conditioning. You get some rad skylines outside though.

Have fun!

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• twelveways 28 Mar 2013 06:47:24 3,841 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KL is great for shopping but I wouldn't stay there more than a couple of days.

Kota Kinabalu (KK) on Borneo is a great place, good for tours to other places (rainforest, islands etc), lots of cool little bars and great food (the fish restaurants market).

If you go to Borneo I have the details of a local wildlife guide/photographer who will take you out and show you loads of cool wild animals, he is much cheaper than any other service around and generally considered to be much better.
  • DodgyPast 28 Mar 2013 09:04:37 8,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been to Penang in Malaysia a couple of times to sort out visas and it was okay... Though the food did stand out, the cheapo street restaurants were awesome and that's coming from someone who lives in Bangkok.
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Mar 2013 10:00:17 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm off to Singapore for Christmas and the new year this year. Somewhere I've always fancied going to so really looking forward to it.
    Going to staying with my Brother who lives out there and runs a restaurant called The Tippling Club.

I also understand there is quite a large fan base for 2D beat em ups as well so going to see if I can find any comps going on at the time :)
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Nov 2013 22:36:48 10,234 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Did Ecosse ever come back and report his experiences after this? Or did he get a bout of the shits and die of dysentery?
    Better late than never....

We flew to Singapore, few days there then went to Langkawi in Malaysia for a few days then spend 10 days in Koh Lipe in Thailand which was incredibly beautiful, then on to Penang where the street food was utterly brilliant then Kuala Lumpur for 4-5 days then back to Singapore where we celebrated Christmas, they go utterly nuts for xmas with midnight countdowns and everyone out partying so that was cool.

I enjoyed Malaysia, the food in some places was excellent and I liked Singapore more than I expected although it's a thoroughly odd place, you could imagine troops bundling you into a van the second you drop a piece of litter or skip a queue :-)

It's that time of year again, hoping to go for a month this time and looking at either Myanmar or Laos/Cambodia but gf is desperate to work in some time in Vietnam again too...

• Page

of 3 First / Last