City of Heroes Memories

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • RichardC 25 Nov 2012 18:38:26 1 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hi folks. I'm putting together a retrospective piece on City of Heroes to mark its closure next week, and rather than just have me wibbling for the whole thing, would like to include some other peoples' nostalgia of the good times. I'm thinking less "I got to create a unique superhero" and "The first time we killed Hamidon" as quirkier things like setting up an all Agent Smith guild, or bumping into Ascendant doing one of his famous phonecalls. Those "Only in COH" type experiences, basically.

Trying to dig up a good selection so that we can highlight more than just the biffs and splodes. If you remember a particularly cool moment, please share so that I can... uh... pinch :-) (But pinch in a heroic, attributed kind of way, of course!)

Edited by RichardC at 18:47:05 25-11-2012
  • Dr_Mech 28 Nov 2012 10:08:37 1,047 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Probably getting to attend the wedding of Manticore and Sister Psyche (played by a developer and his wife) which ended in an all out brawl (just like a real wedding) between heroes and villains.

I will miss the old girl, hell my forum name (an abbreviated version of Dr Mechano, my first villain) and forum avatar are from that game.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 10:09:36 28-11-2012
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 10:11:54 89,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo - what was the name of that dude? The one we met irl?
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 10:28:21 89,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In the meantime, I little yarn copied and pasted from the early days of the CoH thread:

Allow me to tell you a tale of the biggest tard in the history of this game.

So, I need a little help doing the last bit of my cape mission. I call upon Markus Maximus to come and help, but we get inside and it's a little trickier than I expected. I call in Tornado and a few other randoms. We get inside again and sucessfully negotiate our way thorugh the first level. Up we go to the second floor, only to be confronted by 3 level 22 bosses.

Several deaths ensue, but we stick at it, and through some good tactics, clever teamwork and general guile we manage to beat them into submission. We go round the next corner only to be confronted by 3 more 22 bosses plus an effing Arch-Villain!!More deaths folow, and then a failed mission (for as yet undetermined reasons, although let's just assume that in the carnage we destroyed the item we were supposed to be rescuing)

So, I go back to Atlas, start the mission off again, do the to-ing and fro-ing bit again, then this time off to Hollows for the end mission. I call in a few more peeps, including a lvl 24 this time, to beef us up a bit. "lol" he says, "You won't need a group like this to do your cape mission!".

"Oh no?" said I, "there where Arch-Villains in there last time!"

"Really!?!?!?!?" says the level 24. "Well, ok then". The admittedly very patient and well humoured group I have pulled together all meet up again, and off we go for another attempt. Once again we all die.

"Hmmmm" says the 24. "Are you sure you haven't got your rep increased?"

Yes boys and girls, the tard of which I speak, is me. I had increased my rep to the highest level the night before to clean up some old missions, and forgotten, and caused multiple deaths to several people in doing so.

Anyway, I decreased my rep, and the lvl 24 virtually soloed the mission in about a minute. Luckily he was a geezer, as was the rest of the group, and everyone was very good natured about it (I'd have been fuming!), but I thought I'd tell this woeful tale so that you can all learn the lesson the easy way. Don't forget to change your rep back again!
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 10:31:59 89,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The opposite surely. It came first.
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 10:41:50 89,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DC online.
  • PenguinJim 28 Nov 2012 10:43:41 5,943 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Turning around and seeing a 2.5m Stig standing behind me. Hmmm... wow, by complete coincidence, I still have that picture on an old hard drive I just installed (extra-amazing, as there only seem to be seven pictures on the entire drive). So you can see him in all his glory, back in May 2008.

And I STILL visualise that diminishing-circle teleport-reticle in real life (the one that points to where you want to teleport).

And I know you didn't want any "the first time we killed Hamidon" stories, but I was super-surprised and shocked to discover the origin of the Rikti. :champ:
  • Stickman 28 Nov 2012 10:47:18 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a real soft spot for this. I know it's become a bit of a cliched thing to say about MMOs that aren't WOW, but the community was superb, the best online community I've played in.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• kalel 28 Nov 2012 10:54:12 89,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's probably my favourite game ever. Certainly those early days of the EG supergroup were the most fun I've had with a game.

I think the quality of the community was a reflection of the nature of the game, and the subject matter - i.e. it didn't take itself seriously, so never became as po-faced as a lot of other MMOs.
  • PenguinJim 28 Nov 2012 10:57:06 5,943 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Penny Arcade had a nice little remembrance for it last month, too.
  • Dr_Mech 28 Nov 2012 11:14:04 1,047 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agreed the community for it was awesome, it could be a little whiney at times and I really didn't like the sudden change in forum policy (from "you can't compare and contrast other MMOs" to "thou shalt not even mention any other videogames by name!" ) which came about when DCUO launched.

While Champions technically has a better character creator and DCUO probably has better mission, the art style in Champions sucks balls (hated the plasticine look of your character) and the missions got real boring on alt characters in DCUO.

Oh and for a while we did a superteam which I thoroughly enjoyed and I think any gamer over the age of 20 will get:

And just for completeness here is Dr Mechano in CoH

Edited by Dr_Mech at 11:14:18 28-11-2012

Edited by Dr_Mech at 11:18:28 28-11-2012
  • Neodog 28 Nov 2012 12:54:14 298 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just remembered I had a blog detailing the exploits of my SuperGroup... It is still there!

Paragon Today

Good times! really good times!

http://www.twolittlegamers.co.uk

• Whizzo 28 Nov 2012 13:05:35 43,268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Whizzo - what was the name of that dude? The one we met irl?
    Ace of Diamonds

That was just odd, most of the guys in the task force shot are either current or former EGers but a couple of them were pick ups, including AoD. Some years ago there was a lan party done as a bit of stag do for PJMaybe, prolific EG poster but now departed from here but not elsewhere. I was going through my screenshot directory with a couple of the guys who were there and one of the guys who was a regular at this event sidled up and said he was in the shot. To say he and his avatar weren't even vaguely similar is a major understatement! :-)

Although the same can be said for me as well I suppose, I'm a short, fat middle aged bloke rather than a slim, bald dude who explodes in fire on a regular basis...

Edited by Whizzo at 13:06:46 28-11-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• kalel 28 Nov 2012 13:14:00 89,117 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It wasn't the stag lan, it was the one after that.

The thing was, this AoD "chick" took the game somewhat seriously and we'd been taking the piss our of "her" on private chat the whole way through. Then she'd been a constant topic of conversation for the weeks following - she made quite the impression.

So when at the staglan this Gene Simmons look-alike said to me "oh, I play CoH - my name is Ace od Diamonds" my immediate reaction was that Whizzo had told him to say that, as I couldn't believe a coincidence of those proportions could ever happen. It had.
  • SClaw 28 Nov 2012 13:19:44 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Itís closing? I had no idea... havenít even thought about the game for years!

I have two fond memories of this game; Taxibots (proving not everyone is a dick on the interwebs) and the day that Chrisphoer Reeves died (proving that most people, including myself, are dicks because we totally zoomed all over the people holding some kind of weird wake thing in that central area by the city hall thing I canít remember the name of).
  • Whizzo 28 Nov 2012 13:26:42 43,268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It wasn't the stag lan, it was the one after that.
    Ah that's right, my middle aged mind in full effect! :-)

It was such a weird co-incidence. I do wish I had set it up though. :-)

This space left intentionally blank.

• bristolmunkeh 28 Nov 2012 22:01:40 2 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I actually met my wife in City of Heroes back in 2005, Talos Island Green Line station to be precise. That was one "LFG Missions" broadcast that ended up with more than I expected!

We were married September this year.

Of course it sounds incredibly geeky now but proved much more entertaining than somewhere like EHarmony. I mean, they don't let you dress up in spandex and beat up Freakhow.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next