• smoothpete 21 Nov 2012 11:10:00 31,536 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What the hell? WHAT

Anyone read "Modern Parents" in Viz? It is apparently a widespread reality
  • sport 21 Nov 2012 11:16:17 12,758 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So hold on, it's like state sponsored farmer education then?
  • RedSparrows 21 Nov 2012 11:19:29 22,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 21 Nov 2012 11:33:15 60,159 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of my sister-in-laws decided to be a steiner teacher and, yes, it sounded like a load of old shit. The thing that really sealed it for me was when we went on holiday with her and some of her friends, who had two kids who were in steiner schools.

The kids, frankly, were the most self entitled little arseholes I have ever met. Petty and snide and because their parents never directed their behaviour, unable to interact properly with the other kids on the holiday.

I want that toy. Snatch. I want that book. Snatch.

All the rest of the parents there kind of sat there open mouthed while these hippy twats just sat back and let their kids express themselves.

So, yeah, my daughter wont be going to a steiner school.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• smoothpete 21 Nov 2012 11:35:55 31,536 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    School is supposed to be authoritative and institutional. By all means go play in the woods outside of school hours. But make sure you're back in time for maths.
  • sport 21 Nov 2012 11:48:50 12,758 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun: "Hi there mini-sport"
    /punches nick in the balls
    nickthegun: "Stop that mini-sport"
    nickthegun: "Stop it!"

sport: "nick, he's just expressing himself!"
  • nickthegun 21 Nov 2012 11:52:54 60,159 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is, essentially, exactly what these kids were like. Not a shred of respect for any adult.

• kalel 21 Nov 2012 11:55:23 87,933 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know someone who went to one, and she's now a teacher at a regular school. It's quite interesting really. She doesn't believe in the philosophy wholesale (hence not teaching at a Steiner school) but she has some very persuasive views on the benefits of it, which she tries to incorporate into her methods.

It's a bit nutty but I do also think a great deal of our standard education system is massively archaic and fundamentally flawed, and there's a lot to lean from other methods.
  • Deckard1 21 Nov 2012 11:57:37 28,262 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I know someone who went to one, and she's now a teacher at a regular school. It's quite interesting really. She doesn't believe in the philosophy wholesale (hence not teaching at a Steiner school) but she has some very persuasive views on the benefits of it, which she tries to incorporate into her methods.

It's a bit nutty but I do also think a great deal of our standard education system is massively archaic and fundamentally flawed, and there's a lot to lean from other methods.
    HIPPY!!!

• sport 21 Nov 2012 12:04:14 12,758 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Definitely this. Sitting behind a desk all day and getting facts injected via repetition and memorization doesn't seem the right way to go. I'd like to see a more hands-on approach, a bit more interactivity.....I dunno, I'm no teacher...
  • jamievilla 21 Nov 2012 12:05:48 538 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • RedSparrows 21 Nov 2012 12:40:59 22,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends on the student I reckon.

/patented Sparrows pontification
  • neilka 21 Nov 2012 12:45:31 16,106 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're all Steiner Schools by the time I've finished with them.

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• PearOfAnguish 21 Nov 2012 12:46:20 7,328 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "outside local authority control"

"receiving money directly from the Department for Education"

What the fuck? Feed your horrible mewling spawn whatever nonsense you like, but don't take government money to do it.
  • RedSparrows 21 Nov 2012 13:13:10 22,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't that the point of all these academies?
  • localnotail 21 Nov 2012 13:18:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like that the teacher interviewed is called Daisy. /Spaced

I know someone who doesn't believe in setting limits or correcting her children's behaviour. She believes they will develop their own social strategy this way. What it usually boils down to is other parents having to correct her children's behaviour. She tried to put the eldest girl into nursery but that " didn't work for her", i.e. the poor kid couldn't accept she needed to modify her own impulses to get along with others. I see homeschooling on the horizon.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• kalel 21 Nov 2012 13:19:10 87,933 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Isn't that the point of all these academies?
    Kinda. I'm seriously considering sending my kid to a free school.
  • RedSparrows 21 Nov 2012 13:28:42 22,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In terms of social behaviour I consider discipline and a certain degree of regimentation to be in order.

In terms of curriculum, I believe the opposite - broadly speaking. The absurd Tory notion of spreading privilege, however, isn't served just by letting state schools ape private...

Edited by RedSparrows at 13:29:20 21-11-2012
  • elstoof 21 Nov 2012 13:38:19 7,518 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you mean to say that the conservative government is behind these academies? Because I thought it was the Blair regime under instruction of Lord Adonis.
  • RedSparrows 21 Nov 2012 13:46:09 22,906 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not entirely - more the notion, in essence, that the private system is the best in most ways (in education terms).
  • kalel 21 Nov 2012 13:51:06 87,933 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TBH the differences I'd like to see go way beyond the differences between state and private. However, in purely realistic terms, I can't afford private education for my kids and there's a very good free school local to me, which appeals more than the not so good normal state school.
  • disusedgenius 21 Nov 2012 13:53:36 5,359 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Do you mean to say that the conservative government is behind these academies?
    Academies were Labour but free schools Tories and Lib Dems, I believe.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Nov 2012 14:00:39 17,097 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sport wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Definitely this. Sitting behind a desk all day and getting facts injected via repetition and memorization doesn't seem the right way to go. I'd like to see a more hands-on approach, a bit more interactivity.....I dunno, I'm no teacher...
    Is this a good time for the RSA lecture on education? I think it is!

You are a factory of sadness.

• Vortex808 21 Nov 2012 16:48:26 7,217 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On a tangent, did anyone see that bit on BBC breakfast news this morning about parents at some school being shown how to set a bedtime routine so their kids got enough sleep to learn at school?

O_o

I was astounded. It beggars belief.

Edited by Vortex808 at 16:48:44 21-11-2012
  • nickthegun 21 Nov 2012 16:59:26 60,159 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I know someone who doesn't believe in setting limits or correcting her children's behaviour. She believes they will develop their own social strategy this way. What it usually boils down to is other parents having to correct her children's behaviour. She tried to put the eldest girl into nursery but that " didn't work for her", i.e. the poor kid couldn't accept she needed to modify her own impulses to get along with others. I see homeschooling on the horizon.
    My nephew is the same. My sister in law has made a conscious effort to never say no to him so her house is a wasteland of crayon on walls and formerly expensive furniture with lumps knocked out of it.

So when he comes to our house it's up to me to stop him throwing things at the tv, which she doesn't like at all.

• Dizzy 21 Nov 2012 17:03:21 2,706 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My kid goes to Steiner school... she is a great kid and very very well behaved. It can be an amazing school for kids with a broad range of interests.
  • TheSaint 21 Nov 2012 17:06:13 14,495 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2005/jun/30/schools.uk1

Sounds mental.
  • nickthegun 21 Nov 2012 17:20:17 60,159 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One thing I have learned about being a parent is that judging other parents is more natural than breathing.

Edited by nickthegun at 17:20:44 21-11-2012

• skuzzbag 21 Nov 2012 17:38:10 5,648 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My mum went to Steiner school, I'm not sure why to this day why her parents (her dad from a 15 brothers/sisters Brummy catholics and mum from scottish mining family) sent her there though as they weren't exactly rich.

She's a bit mental to be fair. However I've met a few other Steiner's and they are really nice people who have tried hard to make other peoples life's easier/better.

Haterz gonna hate to be honest!
  • Slint1000 21 Nov 2012 18:00:33 3,078 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One of my university friends went to a Steiner school and she has turned out pretty well, but she totally fits in with the kooky/slightly hippy thing that seems to be the cliche for the students of those places.

I had no idea about some of Steiner (the man's) views on race, but aside from that pretty unpleasant caveat; I've got no particular problem with the rest of what I've learned about the method of schooling from her.

Apart from the perpetual churning out of hippies into the world!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous