Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 9

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• MMMarmite 18 Nov 2012 19:05:04 996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If the SSD is still in the gsata3 port you may need to install a driver before you can use it, you should be able to do that from the Windows installer when you get to the choose disk section. The driver will be on the CD provided with the Motherboard.

...or you can plug it into one of the Intel SATA ports ;)
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 19:05:47 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I'm installing windows now there was two ports on the Sata 6gb port. I put the ssd in the bottom one think I should have put it in the top one

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 19:09:14 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The fan at the front I think it is is really loud. Sounds like its going to take off

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 19:12:17
    @INSOMANiAC

Cancel the OS install. You shouldn't install anything until you get your bios settings correctly adjusted, as Windows isn't a big fan of these late changes. It never has.
  • Maturin 18 Nov 2012 19:12:18 2,892 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Well I'm installing windows now there was two ports on the Sata 6gb port. I put the ssd in the bottom one think I should have put it in the top one
    You can always change that later no big problem.

Re loud fan, once you're in windows you can sort that out. Does your mobo come with software fan control? Otherwise you can just do it in the bios anyway.

My recent build sounds like a jet taking off with all fans on full. But even when testing with Prime it's never run the fans that hard. The loudest sound in my PC is an annoying droning hard drive that I'll replace soon.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 19:48:40 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right now my issue is the ssd. I unplugged it and put it in the 3gb thingy and it installed in windows, it not under my computer though and it's not showing in the bios as a boot option. When I start windows installation disc it gives me the ssd as an option though. Going to install windows on it and see what happens.

Also. There was no sound although that could be a driver problem or an audio setting

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 20:03:51
    @INSOMANiAC

Provided you enabled ACHI for the HDDs in the bios, you will be able to easily switch back to using the SSD in a 6GBps Sata socket, once the manufacture supplied drivers are all installed with windows. I recommend do this immediately after getting into desktop mode.

Just out of interest are you sensibly installing the 64bit version of Windows 8 Pro?

The audio might need a small adjustment in the bios settings. But most likely it is a simple matter of right clicking on the bottom left speaker icon(in desktop mode) choosing playback devices, and getting windows to route the audio to the TV instead of the back plate sockets.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 20:07:46 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Using windows 7 don't fancy 8. In my audio it shows 4 digital audio (hdmi) all not plugged in ? The audio is set on hd audio when I press test it shows the green bar playing but No sounds

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Fake_Blood 18 Nov 2012 20:19:46 4,090 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Installed motherboard drivers ?
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 20:28:30
    @INSOMANiAC

Your card has 2xDVi + hdmi port, which should all be able to route digital audio direct through the PCIExpress 3.0 bus, and it has a DisplayPort (which might account for the fourth, but I suspect the backplate spdif digital audio is the fourth). Check it isn't the dvi cable or an issue with the TV's port settings. Try using a hdmi lead direct from the card hdmi to a TV hdmi and checking the TVs digital audio decoding is enabled.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about a bios setting that might cause the motherboard not pass digital audio through your pciexpress 3 socket. So reseating the GPU might also be worth a go.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 20:37:39 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Back to my other issue. Got ssd in the boot priority as the first to boot. Installed windows. When I restart the machine it says 'reboot and select proper boot device'

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Carlo 18 Nov 2012 20:42:13 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You need a google hangout running on a second pc with a webcam for us to jump in and help you out/laugh.

PSN ID: Djini

• Carlo 18 Nov 2012 20:43:13 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If this an intel motherboard with Rapid Storage Technology on it?

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 20:44:30
    @INSOMANiAC

As you aren't running Window 8, you'll need to run windows update to patch the OS, even with the motherboard drivers installed on Windows 7. Sadly the software support for new hardware is a major advantage of running new Oses.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 20:55:04 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im going to spend a couple of hours installing all drivers and dicking aorund until I can sort this shit out, I've already gone beyond the point of looking retarded on here I'm sure itll all come good in the end, just being impatient!

Thanks for all your help, I couldnt have done it without you! (Well, I havent done it yet, but you get the idea)

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Khanivor 18 Nov 2012 21:05:23 40,405 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Once it's online go to the manufacturer's of your mobo and download the latest drivers and install those. Should clear up a bunch of problems.

Also, leave your BIOS the fuck alone. Other than maybe fucking with boot order there shouldn't be any reason in this day and age to go into it unless you're into tweaking mode. Get it all running then fuck about with it, if you must.
  • Lyserberg 18 Nov 2012 21:11:24 349 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You also may want to configure your UEFI (for god sake stop call'in it BIOS, let's move on...) so that the SSD (and the HDD if you have one) runs in AHCI mode so he can get advantage of better speeds, reliability by enabling functions like TRIM in Windows 7 or newer.
    And yeah, i would've like to be in this topic earlier, my advices used to stand out... but i think it's done, you bought your PC and i can't do too much about it.
    Even if you already didn't i don't really care, i won't screw up what others did to help you :-P

La cerise sur le gâteau!

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 21:28:10 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks, I'll put you to the test right now because I have an issue that has pissed me off befire but now really needs solving. Windows wont display the correct resolution for my tv.

it recognises it (26LC46 26 inch) but puts the recommended resolution to 1920 x 1080. The TV is only 720p. NON of the resolutions fit the screen except (1280x768)whereby the screen suddenly goes all washed out and it looks shite. Pleeeeease help. I had this issue with my laptop and never solved it as it wasnt a major issue but now it is!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• MMMarmite 18 Nov 2012 22:24:58 996 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC is there an LG driver installed for the TV or is it picked up as a generic display?
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 22:31:03 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MMMarmite

It's recognising the tv by its product name. I've set it to 1366x768 and the colour mode to yrrgb or whatever it is, the screens bright and the resolutions crap but it'll do for now. Civ 5 just installed !!! Got sound but no picture on direct x 11 settings hmmmm

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 22:38:10
    “UEFI (for god sake stop call'in it BIOS, let's move on...)”
    @Lyserberg

No, lets just call it bios 2.0(like web 2.0) if you want to differentiate the base features.

Giving a bios a new pretentious name, and a mouse with gui wrapper doesn't stop it being a bios(basic input output system). It is just tech-speak so that anyone not keeping current with all the jargon names feels out of the loop.

My head is so filled already with bullshit acronyms from years of computing and networking, I'm certainly not going to replace good easy ones, with ones I don't like.
  • monkehhh 18 Nov 2012 22:44:02 3,279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Never had much luck with my 26" 720p TV over HDMI, I use the VGA input on my TV to get 1360x768.
  • Bremenacht 18 Nov 2012 22:45:32 17,622 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    bios(basic input output system)
    !?
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 22:47:26 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got mine reasonably okay until I get a monitor. Fannying around with vibrancy etc to sort it out.

It's been a lonnnng time since I had a desktop. Can't believe the thing boots in 3 seconds ! They've come a long way, couldn't believe the size of the case and bastard graphics card either!!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Carlo 18 Nov 2012 23:01:18 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    !?
    What's the confusion?

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 23:03:05
    @INSOMANiAC

The problem you are having with crappy vibrancy and picture quality will be caused by windows picking the wrong Timing method(GTF, DMT, CVT) and picking less than optimal settings for
    horizontal and vertical polarity.

Nvidia's custom resolutions usually provide better default settings than windows to match nearer the specification of your monitor. In linux there is an obscure command line tool, that will probe the monitor and report perfect settings for use in linux and windows for creating custom resolution profiles, but I can't remember the name of it.
  • Bremenacht 19 Nov 2012 00:14:15 17,622 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    !?
    What's the confusion?
    No confusion. Just not seen heard anyone describe it correctly in a long time. Usually you hear 'built in O/S'. I describe it as built-in OS to other people myself, as it needs less explaining.

"Two O/S'?? Wot r u on about??!"
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Nov 2012 23:35:08 3,829 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    add me to steam ! iN5OMANiAC

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Sharzam 19 Nov 2012 23:58:23 2,744 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bremenacht

Personally always called it the bios. Althourgh i guess UEFI is becoming common, is it still technically the bios?

Edited by Sharzam at 23:59:34 19-11-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Bremenacht 20 Nov 2012 00:03:29 17,622 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thought it was more of a server thing, but could be very wrong. It's still bios to me too.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last