Demon Gaze Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• uiruki 17 Jan 2013 14:45:00 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They've been uploading some videos and there have been a couple of things which caught my eye. The first is the sheer speed at which you can blast through the battles - they seem to go at 3 or 4 actions per second. The second is more interesting - in the video they uploaded on the 15th there seems to be a Demons Souls style "leave a message for others" online system. Worked properly, that sounds like they could make some properly devious dungeons and people could work together to share knowledge.
  • santashi 17 Jan 2013 15:43:22 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ooh, I'd missed the info about the message system. Interesting. Hopefully it is more like the Demons Souls's system than like that Tag app.

I really do want it. I may cave around the release date assuming it actually comes back in stock...

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• uiruki 24 Jan 2013 10:28:07 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got this, played for about an hour.

It feels a lot like the other Experience/Team Muramasa games currently out (if you have a Japanese Xbox Live account, check out the demo of Students of the Round/Entaku no Seito - it's very generous) as after a fairly chatty intro it then leaves you alone to the important business of dungeon exploring.

The main character is a Gazer - a guy with a funny eye who can capture and control demons. You can equip demons for stay and support bonuses and deploy them in battle. Watch out though - using a demon in battle depletes your demon points and if they reach zero, the demon goes berserk and (I assume) turns on you. If you're full on DP the demon likes to come out of its own accord for a turn, too.

The dungeons themselves feel quite old school, with lots of damage panels (the lava ones in the first dungeon did about half damage to my party - harsh!) and little books and crannies. The map is excellent as it has an autopilot function which saves a lot of tedium without reducing the challenge. The goal in the dungeons is to clear a number of stone circles, the name of which I forget right now. Each circle invites you to place up to three gems and summon some enemies; depending on the gems you place, enemies will bring different things. Win the fight and take over the circle - it then becomes a save point. Each dungeon has a demon, though, and once you've taken a few circles over they begin to intervene.

In the dungeons everything plays out quickly. Movement is fast, using both sticks in an unusual control binding which you quickly get used to, battles play out insanely quickly if you hurry them on, and the graphics are very simple and clear. It has respawning item drops and a mix of simple random encounters at a very low rate for the genre and tiles with symbol encounters.

I was worried when I first saw this as Experience had previously put out very sober looking games. It's clear as I play, though, that the game itself is uncompromised (and if you boost the difficulty, uncompromising!). If I wanted to be cynical I'd say that they saw the success Zerodiv had with Class of Heroes in spite of its lack of quality and hired a guy to do some artwork. If you're in doubt, load up one of their PC or Xbox demos. You'll find that for Wizardry style games, they are respectful of the player without being simple.
  • uiruki 25 Jan 2013 08:06:00 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nope, can't play this outdoors. Too much embarrassing unskippable nastiness - odd as previous EXP titles I've played allow you to fly through the cutscenes. It's the Senran Kagura of dungeon crawlers and it's disappointing.
  • santashi 30 Jan 2013 11:43:43 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure how I managed to miss the thread bump. :rolleyes:

Shame to hear that it isn't a good game to play in public as dungeon crawlers do seem made for playing on trains (and everywhere else, but they are probably my favourite genre for commuting). I did have some suspicions given the various stages of undress that the innkeeper seems to be in in the trailers but I hoped they might be scenes that are very hard to stumble across in some kind of 'reward' fashion. Plus everyone else's outfits. I probably shouldn't ask though!

Everything else that you've said sounds great, though! Autopilot is such a godsend. I think I'll wait to see whether it will be one of Xseed's upcoming announcements as I have a fair amount to be getting on with and being cheaper and in my native language is a plus.

Is it kanji heavy, by the way? /wuss

• uiruki 30 Jan 2013 12:08:56 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The story might be kanji heavy, I honestly don't notice. The notes in the dungeons are mostly kana, all the stats are roman (but special effects are kanji so you'd probably need a cheat sheet), skills for most classes (but not the amazingly useful samurai) are kana. The biggest stumbling block will probably be quest descriptions as they are not always obvious from the description in the field menu.

I've been playing it a good bit at home - it's the kind of game which can easily swallow up 4 hours without you noticing. The difficulty is a little uneven at the moment but I think it's a Shin Megami Tensei style "you don't know how to fight this boss" problem rather than an issue of being too low level.
  • santashi 30 Jan 2013 12:33:14 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That sounds do-able to me! As long as I can advance the text at my own pace then I think it would be fine. I could always trial and error the special effects if I don't understand them, I guess.

Now that you mention classes, which are you using? :D

• uiruki 30 Jan 2013 12:40:28 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good stuff. You'll need a cheat sheet I think as the effects are things like "weak against spirits" presented in three kanji

As for my team, I went with the gazer, the first two recommended characters (paladin and healer), made a samurai as one of the dungeons was full of messages saying that they are great, and went with a wizard for slot 5. You have to pay to expand your party's size so it takes a little while to get up to full strength.
  • santashi 30 Jan 2013 12:52:27 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ah, yeah, I probably would then. :)

Sounds like a sensible balance to me. You have to rent rooms for your party members, I think?

I'm actually quite glad AmiAmi is sold out at the moment, or I might be too tempted.

• uiruki 30 Jan 2013 13:01:09 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What happens is you buy the extra rooms and then every time you return to the inn you get charged a certain amount based on your combined level. It mounts up and can take a decent chunk out of your cash - at the minute it is about half the amount I'm getting from battles (though that doesn't include the items which you can sell).

I don't think I've mentioned the ether machine/equipment strengthener have I? You sacrifice old equipment for a currency which can +1 your new stuff. It's a great loot game as there's just so much stuff.
  • santashi 30 Jan 2013 13:21:27 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Do you get healed/restored by returning to the inn?

I like the sound of that upgrade system! It sounds like a game where you can have fun just tinkering.

• Murbal 30 Jan 2013 13:24:33 22,092 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It does. Right up my alley. But my neighbour's cat knows more Japanese than I do, so a Western release will be the only way I can play. At least US only, thank goodness it's the Vita and not a 3DS ;-)
  • santashi 30 Jan 2013 13:26:28 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    It does. Right up my alley. But my neighbour's cat knows more Japanese than I do, so a Western release will be the only way I can play. At least US only, thank goodness it's the Vita and not a 3DS ;-)
    Xseed do keep teasing on their forums that they have a bunch of announcements coming up so you never know...

• uiruki 30 Jan 2013 13:31:35 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @santashi yep, you get healed automatically as you come back, so unless you have to raise someone you can go straight back out again without having to do anything else. I haven't actually saved much time on that as force of habit has made me at least move around the inn expecting to have to do it manually!
  • santashi 30 Jan 2013 13:37:25 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay, so I guess the inn payment works out as the equivalent of a healing fee in something like EO, albeit a compulsary one. Fair enough.

Did I mention I want this game? ;)

• santashi 31 Jan 2013 14:07:57 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh, how did that happen?

• santashi 10 Feb 2013 16:34:19 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just got a wee bit thrashed by Kronos's second form. I think it was a pretty close thing but I probably need to level up my baby samurai a little before trying that again.

Also, my decision to try a radical change from my usual type of dungeon crawler team has shown me that my usual type of team is very sensible. :p

• santashi 15 Feb 2013 20:25:35 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ack, dramatic story event that really surprised me. Rather sad... :/

Really hard to put this game down. 'Just a few more minutes...'

• uiruki 15 Feb 2013 21:43:46 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Experience have really nailed that in their dungeon RPGs. One thing that might tickle you - the president Hajime Chikami announced today that they would be opening their third team as they just hired their fourth programmer for a combined total of ten staff members!
  • santashi 15 Feb 2013 23:16:53 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Crikey! Had no idea that their permanent team was so small. That is impressive. So now it's 10 people+IA. ;)

While Googling the sales figures to see if it's still doing well (it is) I came across an article where the writer said that it felt 'cheap' and not an AAA game on the back of playing Far Cry 3, and thought this might be a turn off to people used to playing blockbuster games... What an odd thing to say.

• uiruki 16 Feb 2013 00:07:36 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It isn't that odd, but this obsession with "AAA gaming" is a bit exasperating as it just isn't sustainable. I'd rather have a Zero no Kiseki than a Final Fantasy XIII (though I thoroughly enjoyed both games) and Falcom can make ten games in your average Squenix budget. In the end, what happens is that Experience can keep making these games with what would be disastrous sales for a AAA game, and I get just as much enjoyment from either.
  • santashi 26 Feb 2013 15:49:30 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @uiruki You don't happen to have any tips for Neptune do you? I'm struggling a little against her second form. I think I may have to create some stabby people to switch into my party setup as my magic users obviously aren't massively useful in the fight.

• santashi 5 Mar 2013 23:06:24 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pft, just defeated a boss with a single character left... who had 1HP. :p

Thank goodness for angry Mars!

• spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 23:14:35 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this getting an EU release? It sounds right up my street, and you'd think Sony would be doing their hardest to try and get every single software release localised to bolster the library atm.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• HiddenAway 5 Mar 2013 23:23:27 14,877 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Is this getting an EU release? It sounds right up my street, and you'd think Sony would be doing their hardest to try and get every single software release localised to bolster the library atm.
    Based off the limited knowledge I have of this game and my fear of using Google images to get more information based on the thread posts, I'd say it's chances are exceptionally remote, especially if there's no US localisation planned.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• uiruki 6 Mar 2013 06:16:45 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They'd be in a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation with some of the dodgier content.

@santashi - I ditched the wizard and medic for a ranger and a fighter for Neptune and blasted Neptune first time, even though I'd left it in the highest difficulty. The two newcomers were about 12, while my three others were about 16-17. Your Gazer should have at least have Terapain (concentrate attack, does 3 hits) or even his 4-hit attack, and you should be abusing Paladin's Deposition to protect your weaker front liners. Remember that although you can't use magic, you can still use special skills like Concentrate and most of which follows, Deposition, Medic's Holy Shield, Wizard's Wizard Bolt and the Samurai's ridiculous damage skills. In the end, Neptune is just a DPS check - the newcomers only ended up using healing items to keep the Paladin going.

If you're having difficulty and you think your level is too low, turn up the difficulty at the basement of the inn. It makes basic battles harder but improves XP and (I think) drops - like in Tales. You might need to go back to some of the circles and get some more equipment using your gems, too - you should be starting to get some C grade stuff mixed in if you get a good roll. My Gazer has a good strong bow so he sits at the back, but it's harder to keep a Samurai equipped because of the two weapon thing - and I haven't seen a good two-handed Samurai weapon yet.

Edited by uiruki at 07:04:45 06-03-2013
  • santashi 6 Mar 2013 08:42:33 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh sorry, I actually defeated her last week. I got impatient and took her and the next two mini bosses on with my two newbies sub-level 10. I rather like my new assassin. She's pretty handy. I'm in the next zone now.

I was doing a lot of that (if someone gets through the game, especially the water section, without the special skills then they must be mad!) but it's interesting to see the slight differences in tactics and it's very useful general advice in my opinion.

I totally agree about the difficulty-I normally keep it high for that very reason. I don't really feel that there's as big a difference between the difficulties as I was expecting, somehow.

I did get a fairly decent two-handed blade for my samurai but I'm more concerned with upping her defence a little at the moment. I swear she has a little sign on her forehead saying 'kick me'.

• uiruki 6 Mar 2013 09:26:06 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, sorry! The thread is bumped sufficiently seldom to make that a problem.

I haven't had too much bother with my samurai dying since I really started stacking agility and having him covered by my paladin, along with the medic force avoid. It makes the samurai Shura forms really useful, especially against high HP enemies. Still haven't had the guts to try the second Shura skill, the "keep attacking until one of you dies" one. I like the idea of finally getting a resurrection spell and then just using that on a boss or something!

I've thought about swapping out my wizard for a ranger. As more and more single enemies with large HP totals appear I could do with some reliable damage - the lack of an easily accessible monster tome makes it a bit of a crapshoot using elemental magic and the wizard bolt is a bit weedy.
  • santashi 6 Mar 2013 09:47:14 5,108 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is there a resurrection spell in the game then? I was beginning to wonder. :p

I haven't actually got the second Shura skill yet. Since she dies all the time anyway it sounds like one I would be tempted to use. ;) I can't remember what stats she has offhand so I'll check on her agility later and make sure I focus on that. It really does seem like the monsters focus on her and when she does get hit she goes down very quickly. :-P

And yeah, I was wondering if I should leave my wizard benched in favour of my new assassin. Her lurkiness has been proving quite useful and I'm curious to see what other skills she's going to get when I level her up. If she gets multi-hit skills at some point then she's definitely staying.

• uiruki 6 Mar 2013 09:53:29 3,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's the thing though - if they're missing a multi-hit skill, you can give them one. I think assassin is luck-based for damage, though, so it might be about as useful as giving the heal spell kit to my MYS-deficient wizard.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last