Google Nexus 4 Page 14

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• SilentTristero 4 Nov 2013 16:13:02 291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That battery is seriously putting me off what seems to, otherwise, a perfect phone.

Sick of getting home from work around 7-8pm with a critical battery.
  • crashVoodoo 4 Nov 2013 16:36:45 3,858 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SilentTristero wrote:
    That battery is seriously putting me off what seems to, otherwise, a perfect phone.

Sick of getting home from work around 7-8pm with a critical battery.
    I know how you feel. I had the same issue with the n4 and found I was having to charge it before leaving work.

Its the main reason I sold that and was ready to pick up a n5. However after seeing the rumours of it only having a 2300mah battery, just 200 better than the n4 I decided to plump for a gs4 and put the Google Play Edition ROM on it.

All the benefits of stock nexusness with gs4 hardware and a replaceable 2600mah battery

Im set to get 4.4 soon..

Edited by crashVoodoo at 16:40:14 04-11-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• CharlieStCloud 4 Nov 2013 19:00:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @neilka

Hey, I was just wondering how you rate the camera on your new shiny-shiny.

... upon reading a couple of reviews, most of them mentions that the camera is only 'okay'. The Verge had a few words to say about the camera:

The 8-megapixel camera on the back of the Nexus 5 is certainly capable of taking rather beautiful photos in the perfect setting. Unfortunately for us, life is not filled with perfect settings and when you're faced with real-world picture taking, the camera underperforms constantly and consistently.

I cannot believe the battery is still unable to just about get through the day. My brother moans that he arrives home from work a little before six o'clock to find the battery almost dead, or dead altogether.

Wish the Moto X was available over here, seeing as the battery genuinely lasts a day!

: (
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Nov 2013 19:00:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh noes.

... my first EVER double post!

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 19:02:00 04-11-2013
  • neilka 4 Nov 2013 19:32:11 15,813 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't take many photos so I'm not the best person to ask I'm afraid! As long as the photo looks vaguely like the thing I took a photo of then I'm usually happy :)
  • FWB 4 Nov 2013 21:47:02 44,071 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tbh what do expect for 300 quid? You're getting a fast processor, decent memory, nice screen glass and a HD display. Of course a uber battery and camera would be ace, but then you need to shell out a few hundred more.

If it goes a day, I'll be happy. My HTC lasts about half a day, less if I dare to use the net.
  • SilentTristero 5 Nov 2013 01:58:42 291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My personal preference would be to fuck the camera off, and very mildly cut down performance, if necessary, for a battery that's a selling point rather than a complaint.

If the battery dies before the winter sun goes down, I'm unlikely to be taking any bloody photos anyway.

(Might be an exaggeration with the new hardware, but it really is the key point for me. Nothing worse than having a great phone I want to read shit and do shit on, but having to curb my activity on it lest it go flat before I can get to a charger. I refuse to allow new hardware to chain me to walls for the sake of some pointless features and excessive power.)

Edit: Listen to this shit -

"During our time with the Nexus 5, it's been hard to get a real grip on how its battery truly operates. One day, it lasts less than eight hours of only moderate use. The next, more than 16. It lasted 3 hours, 43 minutes on the Verge Battery Test, which is among the lowest scores we've seen on a high-end phone in some time... Depending on how you use it, battery life seems to fall somewhere between "bad" and "okay," and neither of those is something to get excited about."

(The VErge Review)

Damn right it ain't.

Edited by SilentTristero at 02:02:36 05-11-2013

Edited by SilentTristero at 02:14:47 05-11-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Nov 2013 02:16:41 23,696 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You guys using Juice Defender app? It made a huuuuuuge difference to my S3.

We're celebrating 75 years of Batman - and here's my look back at Rocksteady's Arkham series.

• L0cky 5 Nov 2013 05:06:00 1,514 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mines been pretty solid from the out of the box charge. Been using it pretty heavily since 3pm yesterday and still got 37% left. No gaming or videos though. Will see how it goes after the first proper charge.

Edited by L0cky at 05:08:29 05-11-2013
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2013 06:00:50 67,016 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    You guys using Juice Defender app? It made a huuuuuuge difference to my S3.
    Plus turning off sync and all that jazz. I don't really expect a smartphone to last more than a (working) day tbh.
  • Tonka 5 Nov 2013 06:40:14 20,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I charge my N4 at work so I never thought m8uch about battery life. It IS a problem when using the phone on the road though. Went for a little excursion with the family last weekend and used my phone to shoot video (wanted to see the new auto awesome video thing which turned out to be awesome yet not auto) and GPS.

The battery died on me.

So now I need to get one of them car plug to USB thingies.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Dougs 5 Nov 2013 08:55:00 67,016 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's one reason why I've steered clear of Nexus phones, as I like to be able to change the battery if away from home/mains for any length of time. It's not often, but it's a pain having to coax a battery through the day.
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Nov 2013 09:06:19 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All this talk of battery not being able to last a day and you only need to be pointed in the direction of the Moto X.

... this phone took a slight performance hit compared to the Nexus 5 and has a 720p screen (a 1080p display on a blooming PHONE is a genuine overkill) which ensures it lasts a day.

I like high-end technology as much as anyone, but sometimes you have to make a compromise for real world performance and the Moto X nails it.

Quite annoyed it isn't available over here.

: (
  • Tonka 5 Nov 2013 10:47:04 20,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, I too think the Moto X is the most interesting Android handset out there at the moment.

• Dougs 5 Nov 2013 11:19:14 67,016 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No idea what performance is like, but the new HTC one looked amazing (the one with front speakers)
  • Razz 5 Nov 2013 13:54:52 60,993 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've never had a problem with my N4 battery wise, but I've never been a heavy user. Other than frequently taking my phone out of my pocket and turning on the screen for no reason

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Salaman 5 Nov 2013 14:45:33 18,952 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was just zipping through 3 or 4 reviews online to get some different perspectives.

http://gizmodo.com/nexus-5-review-the-best-is-still-the-best-especially-1458003288
    While it's only been a few days, we're happy to report that battery life has been solid thus far. Naturally, it's nowhere near the Droid Maxx, but even with fairly heavy usage I typically made it to 1am with 15-percent left in the tank. We'll continue to test this and will update if there are any significant findings.
    Edited by Salaman at 14:45:53 05-11-2013
  • crashVoodoo 5 Nov 2013 15:06:02 3,858 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    I was just zipping through 3 or 4 reviews online to get some different perspectives.

http://gizmodo.com/nexus-5-review-the-best-is-still-the-best-especially-1458003288
    While it's only been a few days, we're happy to report that battery life has been solid thus far. Naturally, it's nowhere near the Droid Maxx, but even with fairly heavy usage I typically made it to 1am with 15-percent left in the tank. We'll continue to test this and will update if there are any significant findings.
    I have to question exactly what they were doing with their phone?
    If I hardly used it then yeah I could make it but even with moderate use I used to nail through the N4s battery. I know the N5 is bit bigger and 4.4 is probably more power efficient but still I can't see it being that much better.

I despise turning legitimate features off just to have a phone survive a full day which is ultimately why I sold mine in anticipation of the N5 but the battery soured it for me.

• Salaman 5 Nov 2013 15:25:28 18,952 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I normally charge the N4 overnight and there's a charger in the office. So when I don't plan to go straight home from the office, I usually start charging it in the afternoon to avoid being out and about with the battery runnign on fumes.

As someone on here mentioned in the musings thread or a similar one recently. If I have a productive day at work, I have plenty of battery left on the phone. If I've been mucking about on my phone all the time, it can be near empty by going home time.

It's now 8.5 hours since I unplugged it this morning and currently at 40%, so I've been fairly good today. :-) Although I have to admit to having the display on fairly bright and the scren sleep time to 1 full minute. I'd rather charge more often than having the display super dim and cutting out after 5 seconds or something silly to save the battery.
  • Razz 5 Nov 2013 15:37:16 60,993 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I reckon crashvoodoo had a bum battery, as I frequently charge my N4 every other day, truth be told it's near death or dead by that point. :But I usually get about 35-40 hours from a full charge.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• mcmonkeyplc 5 Nov 2013 16:10:38 39,406 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How the flying fuck can O2 have the balls to charge 500 for the N5 on PAYG?

Thieves!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• crashVoodoo 5 Nov 2013 16:19:13 3,858 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I reckon crashvoodoo had a bum battery, as I frequently charge my N4 every other day, truth be told it's near death or dead by that point. :But I usually get about 35-40 hours from a full charge.
    While I'm not going to outright dismiss this I think its unlikely. I'm using a GS4 now with the play edition ROM and it is basically the nexus with a 1080p screen and a bigger battery. I'm getting through a full day now with medium to heavy use with the extra 500mah and its ready for an overnight charge.

Its probably my use pattern rather than the battery but like I said, I'm loathe to turn off useful things just survive a day so I did something about it :-)

• crashVoodoo 5 Nov 2013 16:20:12 3,858 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    How the flying fuck can O2 have the balls to charge 500 for the N5 on PAYG?

Thieves!
    They did this crap when the n4 came out as well, CPW were just as bad.

• mcmonkeyplc 5 Nov 2013 16:38:23 39,406 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm slightly worried that Gizmondo also seem to think the speakers suck. I hate missing calls cause the speaker isn't loud enough.

It's pretty retarded considering this thing is supposed to be a phone, if it's true.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• crashVoodoo 5 Nov 2013 18:04:19 3,858 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I'm slightly worried that Gizmondo also seem to think the speakers suck. I hate missing calls cause the speaker isn't loud enough.

It's pretty retarded considering this thing is supposed to be a phone, if it's true.
    Just read the review as well and well I don't know what to say. The speaker position and quality was bob on the N4 as it was so easy to mute if just by putting the phone down on a surface. It looks like they've tried to change it but it still sucks. Definitely seems like it needs the sound boost app I had my n4.

Oh, and vibrate!

• overcorpse 5 Nov 2013 20:12:35 267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For me the speakers are plenty loud enough but as others have remarked it is very easy to cover the speaker unknowingly.It's a pain when your playing a game or watching a movie and your right hand constantly mutes the sound,that's my biggest gripe with the phone.

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• SilentTristero 6 Nov 2013 01:01:02 291 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Engadget review is in, and with it their HD Video run-down test (A HD Video is continously played until the battery dies). They managed 7 Hours and 20 minutes on the Nexus 5.

For comparison, the LG G2 pulled off 16 Hours.

It's by no means a test that can be simply applied to day to day usage habits, but man.
  • TheSaint 6 Nov 2013 01:34:41 14,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had my Nexus 4 for going on a year now and have never really had any issues with the battery. How often are you away from a power source for any length of time anyway?
  • Tonka 6 Nov 2013 07:11:57 20,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seems to me the step from the N4 to N5 is more of an incremental one than I was hoping. On the other hand that means I won't feel like I HAVE to get the N5.

With the new Auto Awesome Video thing (that I think is fantastic) I wan't a phone with a really good camera in it. The N4 isn't that good in lowish light. I'm a bit surprised Google didn't put more effort into the camera hardware given how much they are doing on the software side.

• L0cky 6 Nov 2013 07:22:04 1,514 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never had a nexus 4 but I'd imagine it's be like going from an iPad 3 to 4 or something similar, ie not really worth it.

I went from an original HTC Desire so anything would have been a big step up!

96mb for apps really doesn't cut it these days, that's for sure.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last