THX receiver Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Buztafen 28 Nov 2012 14:36:40 15,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's what i meant, Cheers Crispy! Only problem is the player needs analog outs for each channel.

Edited by Buztafen at 14:37:09 28-11-2012
  • Chopsen 28 Nov 2012 14:39:12 15,178 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I *think* the bluray specification sates it's the player's job to decompress to PCM and then output the channels along HDMI (or analogue, I guess). I might have got confused here.

As the audio is not going to be recorded uncompressed anywhere, it probably doesn't matter which bit of your kit you use to decompress it.

Edited by Chopsen at 14:39:32 28-11-2012
  • Fake_Blood 28 Nov 2012 15:18:48 3,834 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    You can still get DTS Master and TrueHD through a HDMIless amp if you have analog inputs btw.
    From a pc you mean?
  • Buztafen 28 Nov 2012 15:39:10 15,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If your pc's sound card/motherboard has analog out and it has a bluray drive and software then yes. And its LPCM not DTS Master or TrueHD.

Initially i was talking about a bluray player with analog out.

Edited by Buztafen at 15:39:41 28-11-2012
  • Gartt 4 Dec 2012 11:35:44 1,688 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ive decided to upgrade my speakers first and pick up a new amp in the new year sometime, speakers seem to hold their value pretty well and there are always going to be amps being reduced.

Managed to get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.4s on ebay brand new and unopened for 180. The diamond range seems pretty flexible too, so a 10.cs for the centre and maybe some 9.0's for the rear as they go for like 50 a pair now.
  • quadfather 6 Jun 2013 13:08:18 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I need to bump this thread again.

I've still got that same sony stgr910 amp and I've now moved house.

The living room is pretty good for a surround setup - it's perfectly square, ceilings are higher than normal and there's room behind the sofa to setup the 7.1 properly.

Of course, the problem with the amp is now exacerbated as this room is about 3 times larger than the one it was in before - I'm having to really crank up the amp to get it to a decent volume - it goes from 0 to 75, and really, I have to put it on around 60-65. This can't be right, and it can't be healthy for it. I imagine maybe the capacity's are dying and it's only a matter of time before it burns out.

Anyway, I've looked at so many receivers now it's getting daft, so I was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice on upgrading.

Budget - 500 (possibly negotiable)
    Room size - very large - I'd guess at 15-20 feet x 25-30 feet but that's a complete guess - it's big anyway, and has higher than normal ceilings

I've manually calibrated it as best as I can and the speakers, whilst not amazing, are up to the job.

I was reading up on how to check the specifications on amplifiers as salesmen often don't give you the real info when it comes to stuff like this, so I read this and the rest of the stuff on the site

But I'm having a problem deciding exactly which type of receiver. My current one is supposedly 7 channels of 100watts, but I have no idea what the THD would be, nor would I know how powerful it is depending on the load going through it.

So do you think I could get something with a similar specification, or would I have to start upping the power to 150watts per channel or more?

Thanks in advance

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 6 Jun 2013 16:00:54 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    any good, do you think?

• Armoured_Bear 6 Jun 2013 16:14:53 8,748 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather

Marantz SR6007

Review

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• quadfather 6 Jun 2013 16:47:47 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear - nice one, thanks - I'll check that out

• Armoured_Bear 6 Jun 2013 16:51:59 8,748 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear - nice one, thanks - I'll check that out
    No problem mate, the Marantz Receivers sound great with music if that's of interest to you.

• crispyduckman 6 Jun 2013 16:57:48 1,846 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't recommend Onkyo. I get the impression that some models have high failure rates and Onkyo takes bloody ages to supply spare parts. Mine's been in repair for months now. Although, it was great when it worked. I've never been so pissed off with a piece of electronics in my life.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• gamingdave 6 Jun 2013 18:04:00 4,121 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd still say look for last year high end Yamaha. Your room is big but really not that big in the scheme of things. These are designed to be put into peoples home theaters which are often much larger.

My living room is probably just a tad smaller than yours, and my amp never gets anywhere near it's top volume before its deafening.
  • quadfather 7 Jun 2013 12:02:19 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear - Well, that marantz sounds really nice after reading the review. Within my budget (just) too. I have a separate amp for my decks for main music, but I do also have music coming through the ps3, along with film soundtracks, so I'm interested in that too

@Crispyduckman - fair point

@gamingdave - could you recommend one? I saw a 573 going for a fairly good price, but I wasn't sure on it

• quadfather 7 Jun 2013 12:03:03 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And yes, there's definitely something wrong with mine if I'm cranking it right up

Or I'm going deaf!

Still, either way, good excuse to get a nice new bit of kit :)

• quadfather 7 Jun 2013 12:25:00 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm being stupid when I suggest that I shouldn't upgrade until hdmi 2.0 comes out, aren't i?

• Gartt 7 Jun 2013 14:08:05 1,688 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends if you plan on investing in 4k anytime in the next few years.
  • quadfather 7 Jun 2013 14:43:16 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    True. What's annoying is that you can get 4k receivers now, but with hdmi 1.4

D'you think the next gen consoles will have it as well?

• Gartt 7 Jun 2013 15:15:06 1,688 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably in some form or other for bluray playback. Hdmi 1.4 can already do 4k but only at 24p and 30p, fine for films if you dont care about 3D.
  • quadfather 7 Jun 2013 16:09:13 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, just been reading up on that. Not too fussed about 3d really

Although if I do wait for 2.0 on the ps4 or even just get a 2.0 receiver, I'm still going to have to replace my tv. But that's another story

Might just wait for a bit, save up some more cash and review it in a month or so

• gamingdave 7 Jun 2013 18:23:31 4,121 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't kept up with reviews so couldn't comment on any current models. But whenever I have looked into AV amps for myself or friends then around their price point Yamaha have always been top draw. Richer Sounds have some ex-demo RXV773 in for 449. Looks like a cracker and would suit me to a tea if it sounds as good as my current one.

The problem with waiting for the next revision of a spec is there is always another after. My amp is a good few years old now and so doesn't support 3D passthrough and only has one HDMI out, but it had pretty much every conceivable option at the time.

The thing was at the time my old amp was still perfectly fine, but I wanted to take advantage of HDMI switching for the projector and to get HD audio. My now 14 year old DSP-A2 still sounds as good as the day I got it and I can't say for non HD audio the current amp is a noticeable improvement. It now drives speakers in my office.

I would love to have 2 outs so I could hook up to both the TV and projector at the same time and my next TV and projector will no doubt be 3D capable. But in order to be an upgrade it would have to be sonically as good if not better.

The RX-A1010 looks like it could be the winner if you can find one as it's now discontinued so I would imagine could be had sub 600.

Edited by gamingdave at 18:54:09 07-06-2013
  • quadfather 9 Jun 2013 11:02:07 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @gamingdave - Cheers for the info.

True, there's always something else on the horizon. Have to bite the bullet at some point.

I'm going to wait a month or 2, to see how mine copes in this new room. I watch films most nights, so it won't take long to see how it handles it.

Agreed, that A1010 would do the job nicely by the looks of it

• quadfather 12 Jun 2013 10:02:17 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, I think I might have struck gold here. Friend of a friend is selling one of these for 80, as he's upgrading his setup.

I don't think I can go wrong here, it's more powerful, has better hdmi, has truehd/master audio, thx + pro logic iiz for more speaker options.

Course, that's now making me think of upgrading all my speakers again, or at least some of them :)

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2013 10:05:48 8,748 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Right, I think I might have struck gold here. Friend of a friend is selling one of these for 80, as he's upgrading his setup.

I don't think I can go wrong here, it's more powerful, has better hdmi, has truehd/master audio, thx + pro logic iiz for more speaker options.

Course, that's now making me think of upgrading all my speakers again, or at least some of them :)
    That's a no-brainer IMO, you still have 420 quid towards speakers :-)

• quadfather 12 Jun 2013 10:24:11 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup - I've already been looking for some better surround backs and another sub :)

I might wait though and just put the amp in and see how everything works together, and then maybe add single components as and when

Probably going to need to upgrade the sub next and then the surround backs - so was thinking of something like this to sort that out

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2013 10:26:52 8,748 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Yup - I've already been looking for some better surround backs and another sub :)

I might wait though and just put the amp in and see how everything works together, and then maybe add single components as and when

Probably going to need to upgrade the sub next and then the surround backs - so was thinking of something like this to sort that out
    What speakers do you have atm?

• billythekid 12 Jun 2013 10:29:02 10,808 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eighty fucking pounds???!?!?!?!?
    I've got that amp and I love it, can't really fault it at all.
    I have it connected to Q Acoustics speakers and personally think it sounds great.

As said, for 80 it's a no brainer!
  • quadfather 12 Jun 2013 10:50:05 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aye, I've snapped his hand off :-) Not had a bargain that good for years!

• quadfather 12 Jun 2013 11:05:41 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @billythekid - thinking about it - how have you got your speakers setup to it? are you doing 5.1 or 7.1-2, or are you taking advantage of the front height and/or front wides? I'd be curious to know how that sounds as I've only ever done standard 5.1/7.1

• billythekid 12 Jun 2013 11:22:22 10,808 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm only running 5.1, I've thought about going 7.1 but never got round to it.
  • quadfather 12 Jun 2013 12:36:01 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @billythekid - fair do's. I'll stick with the 7.1 but am tempted for the front height and front side options. I'll have a read up on pro logic IIz to see what it's all about

@Armoured_Bear - I have some eltax symphony 6.2's as the fronts, with an eltax symphony centre. Then 2 JBL control 1's as the sides, and two Yamaha satellites as the surround backs. The sub is a yamaha sub (can't remember the model)

The yamaha's are the weakest link, hence I was going to get some of those wharfedale diamond's for the surround back and use the bundled sub that comes with it as the main sub, and put the other yamaha sub on the other side of the room

I'm not sure though if those wharfedales are overkill for the surround backs, but what I could do is use some wharfedale programme 30 speakers that I have for the surround back and then use the newer ones as the replacement for the programme 30 ones (currently used for 2 x decks)

What's your view on speakers in general for this onkyo amp + room size?

• Page

of 4 First / Last