Arrow Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• kalel 19 Nov 2012 10:30:17 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never really liked Smallville, but I sort of get why people did. It had a bit of soul at least.

This is pure "by numbers" stuff. It's the kind of thing where you wonder if it's actually a parody.
  • nickthegun 19 Nov 2012 10:33:38 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonally, its just all over the place. It flits wildly between heartbreak and idiocy because it wants to be a teen show but its also desperate to be a bit dark because it wants to be batman with arrows.

The funny thing is that the new hawkeye comic is really good and very TV like. It would make a far better show than this shite.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Mola_Ram 19 Nov 2012 10:36:15 7,399 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I liked Smallville in a "I know this is really fucking stupid, but I kind of like it anyway" sort of way. It was fun.

This was equally stupid, but had a sort of seriousness that really jarred with the stupidity.
  • kalel 19 Nov 2012 10:48:20 87,689 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also at the core of Smallville is a powerful dramatic irony - we know he becomes Superman - and Superman is a character with all kinds of positive associations and nostalgia and warmth and all that. It goes a long way. And even at its worst, Smallville knew how to toy with that, and used it quite well.

Whereas even the biggest Green Arrow fan (of which I don't think many exist) isn't going to get much of a kick from this.
  • nickthegun 19 Nov 2012 10:53:15 59,937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hope that, like at the end of smallville clark finally shows the costume, at the end of arrow he grows the gay beard and dons the robin hood hat.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• El_MUERkO 19 Nov 2012 10:59:58 17,033 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like it, though the last episode seemed incredibly rushed, plowing through a tonne of story all at once. It definitely wants to be Arrowman.
  • Deleted user 19 November 2012 20:59:03
    kalel wrote:
    So this is total wank. Scenes are wholesale ripped off the Nolan Batman films which is a) embarrassing a b) forcing you to compare the two, which is not a comparison it comes out of favourably.

Bad acting, bad writing, bad action. Wank wank wank. It's fucking awful and guaranteed to get cancelled.
    Just seen it, completely agree. I can see what they might have been trying to do but it's just not done well enough to pull it off. There's enough of a glimmer to see that it could have been decent but it's so far off executing it well.
  • Zomoniac 11 Dec 2012 10:52:33 7,831 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It really isn't very good. Which leads me to question why I'm still continuing to watch it without fail.
  • sport 11 Dec 2012 11:03:44 12,732 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    It really isn't very good. Which leads me to question why I'm still continuing to watch it without fail.
    You just want to see naked pull-ups again, don't you?
  • glo 11 Dec 2012 11:36:26 3,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is definitely a guilty pleasure only to be watched with your brain firmly in the OFF position.

Still watching it every week though. Don't really know why.
  • El_MUERkO 11 Dec 2012 12:09:27 17,033 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's awesomebad
  • crashVoodoo 12 Dec 2012 00:06:17 3,908 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    It's awesomebad
    Emphasis on bad. Workmate wouldn't shut up about how excited he was this was coming out.

I watched the first ep and couldnt believe how shit it was.  its just bland and full of pretty people trying to look pretty or moody.

Havent been back and the comments in here confirm my choice was the right one.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• President_Weasel 12 Dec 2012 12:41:43 9,322 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Yeah, it's terrible but very watchable. It's regular viewing for me now, for no apparent reason: the acting isn't very good, the plots don't hang together, the tone veers wildly, John Barrowman (John Barrowman, for crying out loud) is one of the baddies and is supposed to be sinister.
    It shouldn't work, yet I'm finding it all rather enjoyable.

It does have that one guy from other stuff as Diggle, he's pretty decent and deserved a supporting role, and it's got the guy who played Harry Dresden in the Dresden Files show that got quickly cancelled (he was decent, the show was a bit pants) so it's nice to see him getting work.
  • PatrickEwing 12 Jun 2013 22:21:55 2,133 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just finished the first series and all things considered I enjoyed it! Sure it's got it's pitfalls with some loose ties holding some parts of the story together and some rather questionable acting but essentially I found it entertaining. I'm glad I stuck with it and look forward to the next series.
    /is aware of my low standards

Edited by PatrickEwing at 22:22:08 12-06-2013
  • Megapocalypse 12 Jun 2013 22:32:21 5,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fully agree with that. Despite its flaws, it was fun.
  • KingOfSpain 12 Jun 2013 22:42:01 5,187 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched the final episode tonight and I agree. It's properly shit. Bad acting, bad scripts, bad almost everything. HOWEVER, me and the wife kind of enjoyed it. It was silly fun.

Barrowman started off really hamming it up, but I thought he almost grew into the role towards the end. I'm not saying he was good, he wasn't, but at least I wasn't expecting him to jump into every scene with JAZZ HANDS!

The very worst part of the show was the apearence of River Song (or whatever her name is). She really was shocking. Kind of acting I'd expect on a bad 80s daytime drama. Pissed myself every time she appeared.

Like I said though, I mostly enjoyed it. Was nice to have something comic booky that me and the misses could both get into.
  • El_MUERkO 12 Jun 2013 22:42:03 17,033 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked it in the end and I'm looking forward to next season :)
  • President_Weasel 12 Jun 2013 23:19:16 9,322 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree with the last four posts, and disagree with that "President Weasel" guy. Barrowman did indeed grow into the role, and it was usually a decent hour of pleasantly stupid telly.

Also Crixus was in it, what's not to like?
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2014 09:07:36 67,734 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just started this, huge amount of fun. It's pap, and may as well be The OC with superheroes, but it's better than Agents of SHIELD. How's S2 shaping up?
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Jan 2014 09:12:12 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I blitzed the first season a while back on Netflix. Have to say I wound up really enjoying it! Season 2 is meant to be really good from what I've read, although not seen it yet.

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• magicpanda 9 Jan 2014 09:23:03 13,365 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Season 2 is just as good so far. Barry Allen has made an appearance and Manu Bennet aks Crixus is still around so it's all good.

Felicity Smoaking Hot amirite.
  • Fab4 9 Jan 2014 10:14:10 6,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started watching this on Dutch Netflix. Thoroughly enjoying it too.
  • glaeken 9 Jan 2014 10:15:19 11,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked S2 so far though I don't like the fact he has decided to stop killing people. I kind of liked that about the first series. It's always seemed like a silly limitation that some super heros go to such lengths not to kill anyone.

Apart from that though it's been enjoyable fluff just like S1
  • captbirdseye 20 Apr 2014 15:18:33 4,982 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the hell happend to Kate Cassidy? She looks really weird in season 2 and at first I thought it was a completely different actress.
  • El_MUERkO 21 Apr 2014 11:44:06 17,033 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    it really is mega now

i hope he get's into the Justice League movie, and I'm looking forward to The Flash show now
  • captainrentboy 24 Apr 2014 20:40:48 991 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonight's was dramatiiiiic!!
    It's all lining up to be a pretty great couple of last episodes.
  • Megapocalypse 24 Apr 2014 21:18:42 5,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is great stuff. Surprised there aren't more people taking about it, though I guess it's still pretty simple with not much to discuss. Hope Deathstroke isn't killed off though. He's awesome.

With regards to a justice league movie, not sure where he'd fit in. I don't know the comics and only have this and Smallville to go on but he's basically Batman in green. Especially now he's not killing people.
  • captainrentboy 24 Apr 2014 21:49:41 991 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Megapocalypse
    If he did end up getting a part in any Justice League flick, I'd assume it would the smallest of cameos, maybe just as a nod to the wider DC universe. There are other more important JL folk like Cyborg and Aquaman that would need the screen time to establish their back stories.

With regards to Arrow, if they do end up offing DeathStroke it'll be interesting to see who they'll line up as the next bad guy. He'll be a tough act to follow.
  • Wavey 25 Apr 2014 02:29:22 377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    .... that ending! :(
  • magicpanda 15 May 2014 08:54:40 13,365 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • Page

of 3 First / Last