The iPad Mini Page 20

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• MMMarmite 15 Sep 2013 15:59:12 1,020 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still no sound after turning it off and back on? You could resetting the settings in Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings or wait until mid-next week, IOS 7 should be available then ;)
  • Moot_Point 15 Sep 2013 16:04:19 3,983 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ah, iOS7. Cool I can wait and see if that fixes the problem.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• dominalien 16 Oct 2013 14:04:31 6,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just got this, in green:

http://www.striiiipes.com/project/my-ipad-mini-envelope/

It's really rather nice. I found it in one of Macworld's round-ups and I really wish I'd come across it sooner, as my mini is pretty banged up by now. I just couldn't find anything appealing before.

Edit: whoa, how do I make links work? I really miss portable view. :S

Edited by dominalien at 14:05:08 16-10-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• altitude2k 19 Oct 2013 08:54:09 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, the wife's birthday is on the 24th October. Plan (for months) has been to get her an iPad Mini, but I kept holding out for a Mini 2 announcement.

I think she'd be happy with just a 1st gen, so my immediate plan was to pop into a shop (Apple Store or otherwise) on the 23rd to pick up the 1st gen at the inevitable lower price.

But to get a full idea of my options, how likely are Apple Stores in the UK to have Mini 2s in store the day after the announcement?
  • THFourteen 19 Oct 2013 09:08:09 33,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would say almost nil to be honest. Probably looking at November to be able to get one in shops.

Sadly I think you'd regret getting a 1st gen mini now. Can you get her one for Xmas or something instead?
  • altitude2k 19 Oct 2013 09:12:10 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I could if I had any other ideas whatsoever!

She's good, though. If I ordered one and gave her the slip in a card I'm sure she'd be fine. Not as nice as the box, though.

Edited by altitude2k at 09:13:41 19-10-2013
  • Deleted user 19 October 2013 09:13:11
    Get one from John Lewis and just return it if/when the new one comes out.
  • dominalien 19 Oct 2013 09:13:35 6,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lingerie? Perfume? Jewellery? A NAS?

• altitude2k 19 Oct 2013 09:16:48 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Bit mean, that. "Here's an iPad...oh yeah, you can't use it".

Reluctant to buy perfume or lingerie - it's basically what I get each year.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Oct 2013 09:23:18 4,171 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just draw a picture of an ipad around your gentleman parts, jump in front of her and say TADA here's your mini.
  • altitude2k 19 Oct 2013 09:29:23 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is probably one of those situations where a lack of context probably wouldn't have hurt.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2013 09:42:33
    altitude2k wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Not at all, here's an iPad use it all you want but I might have to swap it for a better one in a month. All she gets is a newer one. John Lewis are find with you using it all you want and returning it two months later.
  • altitude2k 19 Oct 2013 09:47:29 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Not at all, here's an iPad use it all you want but I might have to swap it for a better one in a month. All she gets is a newer one. John Lewis are find with you using it all you want and returning it two months later.
    Really? Did not know that. Cheers, chap.
  • THFourteen 19 Oct 2013 10:02:44 33,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Just draw a picture of an ipad around your gentleman parts, jump in front of her and say TADA here's your mini.
    :-D

We have a winner!
  • Deleted user 19 October 2013 10:27:50
    altitude2k wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Np, they are very good with returns, it is the only real reason they can charge more than anyone else and stay successful. If I ever need to buy something which I'm not sure about for whatever reason I get it from them so I can return easily.
  • altitude2k 19 Oct 2013 10:33:53 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Plus they always price match local stores, if I remember correctly. Although a quick look at their site tells me that their iPad prices are RRP anyway.
  • monkman76 19 Oct 2013 11:34:03 4,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Np, they are very good with returns, it is the only real reason they can charge more than anyone else and stay successful. If I ever need to buy something which I'm not sure about for whatever reason I get it from them so I can return easily.
    Surely the main reason they're successful is the complete opposite - that they're 'never knowingly undersold'.
  • altitude2k 22 Oct 2013 19:38:15 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well this has made my decision about my wife's iPad a lot easier. £320 for the new Mini? No thanks. Are they actually trying to compete with other 7" tablets?!

Surprised the original hasn't dropped further. It's been £250 in Tesco for months already.
  • dominalien 22 Oct 2013 19:42:50 6,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Well this has made my decision about my wife's iPad a lot easier. £320 for the new Mini? No thanks. Are they actually trying to compete with other 7" tablets?!
    Of course they aren't. What gave you that idea?

• M83J01P97 22 Oct 2013 19:49:40 6,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Until something drastically changes in the technology market, Apple have no real reason to compete with anyone as things stand right now.

They don't care that there are people out there who prefer to spend less money and get an Android device, because for every one of them, there are about 10 others who will blindly buy anything Apple bring out.

And to be fair, if you can afford Apple, they do make superb products, but sadly competing with the competition is way down on their list of priorities. But it works for them, works very very well.
  • altitude2k 22 Oct 2013 19:50:16 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The original Mini price was certainly on the premium side of "competitive". But £150 (60%!!!) more for a similar spec'd device as the Nexus?
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Oct 2013 20:00:08 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the point is, the iPad mini can now be found for £249 and to see the price for the new one popping up on the website as £319 is just ... well, it makes a bundle of people look at the Kindle or Nexus tablet(s) for over one hundred pounds cheaper instead.

It is nice to see the MacBook Pro going down in price and Mavericks OS X being free and yet they felt compelled to increase the price of the iPad mini by a fairly significant amount.

: (
  • altitude2k 22 Oct 2013 20:02:59 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I'm steering towards the Nexus 7 now. £220 and I probably would have gone with a 1st gen Mini.
  • altitude2k 23 Oct 2013 19:19:51 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I bought a 1st gen Mini from John Lewis. Turns out it must be unopened to return it.

But...found out today that because it can be tenuously considered applicable to work I can get an iPad through them. That'll be VAT-free and salary-sacrifice, effectively putting me only £130 out on the new retina Mini or £165 for the iPad Air!

So the wife has a present to open tomorrow, but she'll have to wait until November depending on her choice of new one.
  • mrpon 23 Oct 2013 19:21:56 28,781 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 23 October 2013 21:28:11
    altitude2k wrote:
    So I bought a 1st gen Mini from John Lewis. Turns out it must be unopened to return it.

But...found out today that because it can be tenuously considered applicable to work I can get an iPad through them. That'll be VAT-free and salary-sacrifice, effectively putting me only £130 out on the new retina Mini or £165 for the iPad Air!

So the wife has a present to open tomorrow, but she'll have to wait until November depending on her choice of new one.
    ?? Unless they changed their policy in the past month that's just wrong. Guess I won't be ever buying anything from JL anymore!
  • THFourteen 23 Oct 2013 21:35:08 33,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:They don't care that there are people out there who prefer to spend less money and get an Android device, because for every one of them, there are about 10 others who will blindly buy anything Apple bring out.
    Come on now its not "blindly". I know all about the alternatives such as the nexus 7, but to me its worth paying the extra £150 premium for the ipad mini because of the range of apps and games that are available. For example, I can't get the Arsenal programme on the nexus. Sky go is flaky on android (I've got galaxy s3). I can't buy XCOM.

There are tonnes of apps that are just better on iOS. If your sole intention was to surf and read kindle books then i'd always suggest a nexus, but if you want other things, I still think iOS is much better
  • altitude2k 23 Oct 2013 21:38:06 4,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:

?? Unless they changed their policy in the past month that's just wrong. Guess I won't be ever buying anything from JL anymore!
    Why wouldn't you? They price match and give you a two year warranty.

The guy may have been misinformed, but I doubt it. He told me categorically not to take off the cellophane if I wanted to return it.
  • Moot_Point 21 Nov 2013 15:32:01 3,983 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Now I have ordered one of These, I felt like sharing. Nicely priced keyboard cover.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Page

of 23 First / Last