The iPad Mini Page 13

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• SuperCoolEskimo 3 Nov 2012 04:04:09 9,727 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BryanAKADJ wrote:
    Thinking about getting myself one, just might do for myself as a birthday gift next month. Just gave my iPad (1st gen) to my mom for her birthday. This would seem like a nice little replacement for it.
    You must not like your mum very much! ;)
  • BryanAKADJ 3 Nov 2012 06:03:16 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    lol, I've had that iPad for a long while, never really used it, did at first then I got a laptop then the iPad just gathered dust. She has always wanted one, its 64GB and 3G. Might get her one of the newer ones for Christmas and my dad can have that one, he always enjoys getting hand-me-down gifts.
    :p

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• SuperCoolEskimo 3 Nov 2012 06:36:22 9,727 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The condition my 1st gen iPad is in, I'd feel bad giving it to a homeless guy, let alone anyone I care about.
  • BryanAKADJ 3 Nov 2012 07:58:15 284 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mines in quite good condition. She enjoys it, rather than our crap Vista PC which is in the condition of your iPad 1st gen is in I'd guess, she uses it for facebook, bejeweled, sudoku and other simple things.
    My plan is. Brand new iPad (insert recent[ish] gen here) for my mom. Newest iPod nano and the hand-me-down iPad for my dad.
    and iPad mini for me in black. (to complement my new iPod 5th gen).
    Hurray for having a job and not having to worry about adult stuff yet!

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• PrivateFloyd 3 Nov 2012 09:06:15 4,107 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Expanding on first impressions following some use;

- the screen (particularly when viewing black text on white) is quite clearly a step down from retina. Doesn't bother me to be honest as it is still particularly clear. Bear in mind I have come from an iPad 3 and i still don't see it to be an issue.

- it is a snappy little thing and unless "you are into that kind of thing" I cant see any discernible difference between the speed of this device and the ipad 3. I would imagine on newer, more intensive apps differences may appear.

- "in the hand" it feels great. Do not be duped into thinking this is a device you can use in one hand. 2 hands are still required for general navigation, what makes the difference is the weight, gone is the pain of holding the larger ipad after 30 minutes.

- general usability with regards to the smaller tiles is also a non issue, it becomes second nature within moments.

IMO it's perfect bar the omission of the retina display. I look forward to the ipad mini retina in March!

Goat is hungry.....

• THFourteen 3 Nov 2012 10:12:55 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmmm... This does not fit in the coat I just bought. It fits in my old coat and my light jacket but not my new winter coat.

Haven't taken the labels off my winter coat so could return it. Carrying it round was going to be important to me.

Or buy one of these
    http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Carry-on-Coat.shtml
  • Benno 3 Nov 2012 11:04:32 9,804 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    get a new winter coat!
  • Deleted user 3 November 2012 17:57:47
    Oh dear.

I had a go on one at the local PCWorld today. Where is the wow factor ? It just felt like my iPad 2, but smaller. And strangely enough, the resolution looked worse.

/banned from my own thread.
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Nov 2012 12:30:02 5,110 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:
    Where's the wow factor?
    That sums up the iPad mini in four words.

... when the innards are the same or comparable to the new iPod touch along with a higher resolution screen and the same battery life as the current iPad, it shall then have a WOW factor.

The only thing that opened my eyes to the iPad mini was the weight, thinness, materials used and ... that's about it to be honest.
  • mrpon 4 Nov 2012 12:37:41 28,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    The only thing that opened my eyes to the iPad mini was the weight, thinness, materials used and ... that's about it to be honest.
    Umm, that is the wow factor, no? Y'know, it's called mini.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• ISmoke 4 Nov 2012 12:40:56 535 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saw my friends last night, it is nice but after getting used to the screen on my iPad 3 i'm in now rush to swap. As someone else said, i could be tempted to buy a mini when they release a retina display. Would be nice to fit in the pocket!
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Nov 2012 12:50:01 5,110 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Umm, that is the wow factor, no? Y'know, it's called mini.
    Yes however, as soon as you use the thing, which is on the screen itself, it is underwhelming.
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2012 13:41:21 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    bdaggers wrote:
    Where's the wow factor?
    That sums up the iPad mini in four words.

... when the innards are the same or comparable to the new iPod touch along with a higher resolution screen and the same battery life as the current iPad, it shall then have a WOW factor.

The innards are exactly the same as the new iPod touch!

I can understand people who don't like the screen, but for me I have sold my wife's ipad 2, given her my ipad 3 and will be buying the 4G mini version as soon as they let me.

Having played with the mini all weekend, it is totally the ipad I always wanted, it will be my constant travelling companion. Plus I have exchanged my winter coat for one which has big enough side pockets :-)

It's just so light, and the battery lasts forever. All the games I've tried on it are fine.

The only downside I've come across so far after a couple days use is the constant reloading of safari due to 512mb of ram. That does truly suck.
  • Tonka 5 Nov 2012 06:40:22 20,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cough

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• THFourteen 9 Nov 2012 07:38:11 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like the US crew are getting deliver dates of 16th-23rd Nov on their pre orders for 4G minis.

Now more hopeful ill see mine by the end of the month!
  • THFourteen 12 Nov 2012 13:22:27 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whilst waiting for my ipad mini, decided to finally phone up 3 and try and get my old sim cancelled.

they are replacing with a nano with 15gb of data a month for 12, thats not too bad.
  • Fake_Blood 12 Nov 2012 13:34:09 4,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    15 GIGAbytes?
    You sure?
  • THFourteen 12 Nov 2012 13:46:38 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah. I tried to have the whole thing cancelled and the lady was like nonono wait wait wait let me speak to my manager.

its still not as cheap as i could get elsewehre but my laziness means it was acceptable.
  • yegon 13 Nov 2012 07:54:31 5,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had same problem with Three cancelling an iPad sim a couple of years ago. Took 45 minutes of "no, I want to cancel", "no, I want to cancel", "no, I want to cancel" until FINALLY she relented. Ridiculous. Im a pretty patient guy, Im polite to anyone in customer services for humane reasons and selfish ones - if youre nice to people you get far better service, its amazing how many people havent figured that out - but I was on the verge of screaminh down the phone. You can't really hang up, as you're back to square one then.

Otherwise, I heart 3, unmatched for fast data at much cheapness.
  • THFourteen 13 Nov 2012 08:03:42 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    what was funny was she did the same, spoke to me for about 30 minutes, made me repeat back to her the details she had been through and then hung up.

THEN five minutes later she rang back to tell me that there would be a 5 charge for the new sim. She said "i dont know if you remember but we spoke a while back"

A WHILE BACK!?!

people in my office were pissing themselves.
  • yegon 13 Nov 2012 08:13:45 5,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haha. In my case, she kept making crazy suggestions like "gifting" the contract to a family member, and at one point even suggesting a PRICIER contract. Crackers. I understand a little resistance is a good idea to keep clients, but I've never experienced it to such an extreme.
  • yegon 13 Nov 2012 12:25:11 5,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can someone with a mini confirm that you can use gestures on it? I'm referring to 4 fingers up for app switcher, 4 finger clutch to close etc. Something I just read has me spooked, I use them all the time and I HATE using the home button double press for the app switcher, main reason I jailbreak my phone when possible.
  • THFourteen 13 Nov 2012 12:31:39 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah all the gestures work.
  • mrpon 13 Nov 2012 12:32:24 28,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Multitasking gestures turned off in Settings?

• yegon 13 Nov 2012 12:39:11 5,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phew! Was a bit worried there, someone moaning about home button double presses. I only ever use that on my iPad to bring up pause/play controls when it's off.

mrpon wrote:
    Multitasking gestures turned off in Settings?
    Not got my cellular mini yet, I'm still at the ever so boring reading about stuff waiting stage. At work though, so it's not all bad :)
  • monkman76 13 Nov 2012 14:06:26 3,996 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seems to be widely agreed that there's a much better selection of games on iOS than Android. So what are the great games that you can only get on iOS?
  • THFourteen 13 Nov 2012 15:26:52 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are loads, also even with the ones that are on both systems, ios gets them first. Baldurs Gate for example is coming out on ios in November. Still no date for Android.

Recently I was playing the walking dead on my wife's ipad. Not sure that's out on Android? Or any of the telltale games for that matter. FIFA 13... Even the FIFA ultimate team app for online auctions doesn't exist for Android.
  • monkman76 13 Nov 2012 15:30:46 3,996 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks. Wasn't trying to question it btw. Surely it's about time Android started to catch up. Is it harder to code games for Android due to the huge range of compatible hardware?
  • THFourteen 13 Nov 2012 16:07:02 32,884 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure, but it's much easier to steal them. Jail breaking new ios devices is not always possible but you can get stolen games on Android easily.

The FMH Dev said that they almost pulled out of the Android market due to the massive amount of pirating of their app. It's like 3 ffs.
  • mrpon 14 Nov 2012 20:35:10 28,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, I've had a dabble with my 16gb wifi - some mini thoughts:

+ super light
    + fabulous build quality (negatives below aside)
    + looks closer to retina than the 2, obv because of the higher ppi
    + can read mags one handed,ie: just swipe with your thumb

- my mute lock is pretty stiff
    - prefer the rocker style volume as opposed to two buttons
    - think I'd also prefer a more rubberised back for better grip, save buying a cover
    - perhaps just too wide (imo)
    - screen feels slightly spongy?

• Page

of 23 First / Last