of 5 First / Last

• Bremenacht 18 Oct 2012 00:59:12 17,778 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Off the top of my head

Queen Wembley 1986
    Michael Jackson Wembley 1988
    Blimey. I was there for both of them too. I think. The Magic Tour and the BAD tour?
  • Bremenacht 18 Oct 2012 01:02:30 17,778 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:
    Pixies at ... Brixton on the Doolittle tour (the first time)
    Was there for that too. Thought I'd avoid the mosh pit for a change and try out the seats upstairs. Lots of slebs, but rather boring.
  • Bremenacht 18 Oct 2012 01:31:32 17,778 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Happy Mondays at the T+C was probably my most memorable. They were so fucking good. And I was on my tod 'cos no-one I knew liked Happy Mondays!! Crazy!!

A bit hazy about some others but..
    Lots at the T+C (Kentish Town) but Pixies/Throwing Muses was memorable.
    Stone Roses at Ally Pally. They were alright. Venue and atmosphere was weird. Or I was??
    My Bloody Valentine - can't remember if it was the T+C or that old place on Tottenham Court Road. Think it's gone now.
    Gary Clail & on-U @ T+C again. I think it was the weed in the air that gave that one a memorable haze. Didn't puff, myself - didn't need to @ on-U.
    Cure (Disintegration tour) - a couple of times. Once in some roman amphitheatre in Germany with Pixies (again!) and The Sugarcubes. Bloody (moshing on the steps of a roman amphitheatre is tricky) but great. Prince - Diamond and Pearls tour. Brilliant. Much better than MJ was live.
    The Pogues - various places. All a hoot.
    Fatima Mansions - The Flaidh, Finsbury Park. Saw them a few times, but what made this one memorable was the audience. There was hardly any. Most were there for diddly-dee or the Pogues. So, wonderful wonderful Cathal Coughlan raged and spat at barely a half crowd of mostly on-lookers. They were soooo fucking good.
    White Stripes - Bridlington Spa. Oh yes - Bridlington. Ha ha ha. It was good!
    The Primitives - Bull & Gate. [sigh]
    The House of Love - Above that pub in Tufnell Park. Beautiful.
    The Blue Aeroplanes - Club Dog at the old Sir George Robey, Finsbury Park. I think it was a Club Dog night. Anyway - they were good. And so was Club Dog.
    Jesus and Mary Chain - somewhere. Can't remember where (Brixton), but I can remember them playing - loud, shocking, memorable. There may even have been a song played. Might have imagined that last bit though.

The thing that's changed most about gigs is that you cannot get up close to bands anymore. Maybe it's all the more reason to support little or local bands. I used to be able to gob on Dave Vanian (well, only the once). Couldn't do that these days.

/retreats into haze
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Oct 2012 01:50:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck Ooh, MSI play Manchester next Thursday, thinking of going :D
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Oct 2012 01:51:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kickerconspiracy Hah, I played there in 2001... decent pub venue.
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Oct 2012 01:53:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ecureuil MCM are amazing (I have Osc Dis cd in front of me), wish I'd seen them live, likewise Polysics.
  • GuiltySpark 18 Oct 2012 05:32:59 6,357 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Porcupine Tree fucking nail it every time they play, seen them about 4 times, but not recently (so no iffy The Incident setlists). Anathema also.

Fever Ray with Zola Jesus, 2010ish, London however, easily cinch it. A short setlist but they were absolutely phenomenal. The stage was fantastically creepy as hell, with smoke and old fashioned lamps (like something you'd see in a shitty haunted house) flashing on and off. I feel sorry for anyone who wasn't there.

Get bent.

• Deleted user 18 October 2012 06:08:50
    Bremenacht wrote:
    bdaggers wrote:
    Pixies at ... Brixton on the Doolittle tour (the first time)
    Was there for that too. Thought I'd avoid the mosh pit for a change and try out the seats upstairs. Lots of slebs, but rather boring.
    I was down the front, and still had three quarters of a pint in my hand when they started playing. Ten seconds into the first song, it was thrown from my hands by the insta mosh.
  • Rusty_M 18 Oct 2012 07:02:54 4,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I've heard Moving Pictures and I have a double-CD somewhere which is basically a RUSH greatest hits by another name. I think it was called Anthology, but I remember there being different versions of it available. Unfortunately, one of the discs stayed in the car by mistake after it was written off.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• FuzzyDuck 18 Oct 2012 07:39:47 4,022 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm an utter Rush fanboy, so I'd probably be guilty of saying 'go buy them all!', but if you're interested in delving further, go with the two classic prog albums (2112 and A Farewell To Kings), the two classic 'streamlined' albums (Permanent Waves, which was my first album of theirs, and Moving Pictures), Hold Your Fire for the synth phase, and Clockwork Angels for their quality latter day albums and work out from those.

Or just go buy them all! :D
  • Fab4 18 Oct 2012 07:50:50 5,992 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would also go along with the "go buy them all" option.
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Oct 2012 09:33:37 1,471 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder If there's still tickets left do it! They always put on a really funny show. Two of the high points for me were when they got a girl from the front on stage to sing along and she didn't know the words lmao. The other was when they stayed around after a show and the guitarist shared a beer with my extremely drunk friend. Take an album sleeve with you as well, they always stay around for autographs.

Oh and if you love the Mad Caps, check out AA=. You can thank me later ;)

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 09:42:40 18-10-2012

For the emperor!

• FanBoysSuck 18 Oct 2012 09:40:42 1,471 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck That sucks mate, hopefully they'll go there on the next tour (which will probably only be another year away).

Agreed on the new album as well, one of their best ever. I think I'll be picking up the book for it, it sounds really good going on the interview in classic rock magazine.

For the emperor!

• RobTheBuilder 18 Oct 2012 13:02:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck Cheers, will see if I can make it.
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Oct 2012 13:05:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    check out AA=. You can thank me later ;)
    Excellent. Sounds halfway between Mad Caps and Dir En Grey.... then the softer bit

Annoyingly not on spotify, and one album on amazon for 40...

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 13:10:42 18-10-2012

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 13:11:13 18-10-2012
  • GiarcYekrub 18 Oct 2012 13:17:17 3,732 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Diana Vickers - Always a good gig
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Oct 2012 13:59:39 4,175 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh good grief.
  • kickerconspiracy 18 Oct 2012 14:18:06 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

What's your band called?
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Oct 2012 14:20:03 1,471 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder Get them on iTunes, between 8 and 10 pounds each. If you're that fussed about a physical copy, use CD japan. The albums are cheap but they get you on the shipping. Not an issue if you're buying in bulk though (hint hint get the mad caps back catalogue while you're at it ;) )

For the emperor!

• Trane 18 Oct 2012 14:23:34 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kickerconspiracy wrote:
    @RobTheBuilder

What's your band called?
    Spandau Ballet
  • andytheadequate 18 Oct 2012 14:37:27 8,116 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Motorhead have to be my favourite live band. Saw them last November ( I think) at Leeds Academy. The bass is so heavy it makes you feel a little bit sick..
  • whatfruit 18 Oct 2012 15:00:41 1,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Adam Beyer Warehouse Project Manchester
    Capdown - Camberly Agincourt
    Sikth - West End Centre Aldershot
    Down- Manchester Academy
    Prodigy - Exit Festival
    Mars Volta Brixton Academy - Frances the Mute tour
    Sick of it All - 2005 Millenium Dome circle
    Caravan Palace - Boom Town Fair - 2012
    Slamboree - Boom Town Fair 2011
    B.B King - B.B Kings Memphis
    James Brown - Brixton Academy

Best club nights I ever went to were all at Micron held at Joshua Brooks, 106 Princess Street Manchester. Went every month for over 3 years was simply amazing music and crowd.
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Oct 2012 15:26:46 1,471 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Motorhead have to be my favourite live band. Saw them last November ( I think) at Leeds Academy. The bass is so heavy it makes you feel a little bit sick..
    I'm seeing them in about two weeks for friends birthday. I'm actually excited now :D

For the emperor!

• Vortex808 18 Oct 2012 16:58:15 7,064 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I forgot to mention seeing Neil Young.

Even my wife enjoyed it! Which speaks volumes. She usually hates it when I play his stuff.

No Heart of Gold was played, so I'll still need to see him again before he or I die...
  • DocX 18 Oct 2012 17:29:26 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Off the top of my head

Queen Wembley 1986
    Michael Jackson Wembley 1988
    Blimey. I was there for both of them too. I think. The Magic Tour and the BAD tour?
    I saw Queen at Wembley too, with the Its a Kinda Magic inflatables. That Freddie Mercury doco the other day brought back the memories.

Edit: oh yeah, Pink Floyd at Wembley around '88. Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

Edited by DocX at 17:31:00 18-10-2012
  • robthehermit 18 Oct 2012 17:36:46 4,036 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Terrorvision - Cambridge Exchange - 1993?

Supported by Baby Chaos and Die Toten Hosen

Excellent night with some great mates, lots of beers and lots of laughs.

Tori Amos - Cambridge Corn Exchange - 1994

Tori in the Little Earthquakes/Under the Pink years. Sublime.

Faith No More - Astoria - 1997

It was Faith No More. What else do you need to know.

Queensryche - Cambridge Corn Exchange - 2008

Operation Mindcrime 1&2 in their entirety. OM 1, fantastic, 2 not so much.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• JonFE 18 Oct 2012 21:04:09 1,442 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In pure chronological order:

Saxon - Innocence is no Excuse Tour (1986): Not their greatest album, I confess, but it's the first big band concert I attended.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son Tour (1988): On the top of their form.

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour (1989): Apparently, pigs can fly.

Metallica - Nowhere Else to Roam Tour (1993): A great performance of more than 20 songs covering their entire career. They started off with Creeping Death, FFS!

Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Live (2006): The entire Dark Side album, along with a medley of Floyd and Waters' songs; what's not to like?

The Big 4 Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax (2010): For old times' sake :cool:

Roger Waters - The Wall Live (2011): An out-of-this-world experience!
  • captainrentboy 18 Oct 2012 21:42:32 977 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Slipknot 2001 Cardiff- First gig I ever went to, and it blew my fucking socks off. Flames, spinning drum kits, big ass moshpits, I've been to many many gigs since then, and seen them probably 5 or 6 times again, but that one stays with me.

Metallica at Download, 20th anniversary of Ride The Lightening. Played the album in its entirety, plus some of their bigger hits. Fucking fantastic show!
  • cubbymoore 18 Oct 2012 23:13:51 36,483 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alice Cooper Wembley Arena 2009(?)

Supported by Motorhead. I don't really listen to either of them, and yet easily the best gig I've been to. I thought it would be hard to top Motorhead after just seeing them, they were so loud, but Alice Cooper just put on the most swaggering audacious performance, it's more of a weird, messed up musical than a normal gig.
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Oct 2012 23:45:31 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kickerconspiracy The band was called Subverse, we supported (I think) a pop punk band called Appease.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last