Top Gigs You Have Ever Been To Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• localnotail 17 Oct 2012 14:31:24 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, and every single Cardiacs gig I've ever been to.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Dr.Haggard 17 Oct 2012 14:31:49 4,209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hard to narrow it down but these were definitely memorable moments over the years:

Slayer - Birmingham Odeon 1987
    Napalm Death/Carcass - some dive in Birmingham, possibly the Kaleidoscope, 1987.
    Celtic Frost/Kreator - Birmingham Powerhouse 1987
    Candlemass/Sabbat - Birmingham Hummingbird 1987
    Tool - various gigs 1993-1997. Not much of a fan now but they were amazing live in the early days.
    Cult of Luna - 2003 and 2004 (seen them a few times but those were the best tours)
    Isis - Birmingham Academy 2003, Oceanic era. Mindblowing.
    Bauhaus - Birmingham Academy 2005(?). 20+ years after first splitting up, very odd to see them live, very memorable.
    Meshuggah - Birmingham Academy 2008. At their best, and possibly the most spellbinding, jaw dropping gig I've ever been to.
  • Razz 17 Oct 2012 14:37:20 61,224 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @localnotail 6 years old! :D My Dad worked as a steward in the stadium and often sneaked mum and me in for concerts. Obivously, I don't remember any of it, but still, greatest concert of my life :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• warlockuk 17 Oct 2012 14:39:19 19,174 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    Pantera were pretty good at Dynamo in 98, I think it was. 101% Proof tour iirc.

And Death were amazing at Dynamo, too. I'd put them in my top 10, though probably post-humously more than anything else.

Been sat here for 20 mins trying to pick favourite gigs but I just can't put my finger on any one gig. Maybe Type O Negative with Entombed and Stuck Mojo in Bristol in 1997. That was an awesome day.
    How can I forget Death at the astoria!
    \o/

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Dr.Haggard 17 Oct 2012 14:40:35 4,209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I won't mention the time I was persuaded to go and see Magnum in 1985 and they were awful.

Or the time I got dragged to see the Scissor Sisters a few years back and they were actually brilliant /o\

Damn.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 14:40:51 17-10-2012
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Oct 2012 16:29:56 1,484 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    off the top of my head:

Porcupine Tree at the royal Albert hall (around 2009 I think).
    Rush at the NEC on the snakes and arrows tour.
    Amplifier/Porcupine Tree Wolves Wulfrun about 4 years ago.
    Mad Capsule Markets on the system konfliqt tour just before he broke up in 2007.
    Deftones on the Diamond eyes tour (supported by coheed)
    Rob zombie at the 02 in Brum.
    Mindless Self Indulgence pretty much every time I've seen them. Always entertaining.
    Foo Fighters/Chilli Peppers at V2001
    Muse Wolves Civic around 2000

I'll edit as I inevitably remember more. Even though I've been going to gigs now for 15 years now only the fairly recent ones seem to stand out as being amazing for some reason :s

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 16:31:26 17-10-2012

For the emperor!

• kickerconspiracy 17 Oct 2012 16:44:00 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Half Man Half Biscuit at the Star & Garter in '99.

They even did Running Order Squabble Fest.
  • rtk79 17 Oct 2012 16:59:49 493 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AMM as a trio, Keith Rowe, John Tilbury and Eddie Prévost about ten years ago in Nantes (that's in France) is probably the finest music I've heard happen. And what a happening it was. Truly riveting.

The closest contender would be Bach's Saint John Passion played on historical instruments in a 11th century abbey by Belgian conductor Philippe Herreweghe and his Collegium Vocale. Wow.
  • BeebleB 17 Oct 2012 17:03:28 926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bjork at Reading 95
    Sigur ros at the Lowry, Manchester 2005

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• EMarkM 17 Oct 2012 17:08:51 3,174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Donington 88 & 92 (Maiden! Maiden!), Paradise Lost & Skyclad at Wrexham 92, Obituary & Master at Bradford 05.

All dates are approximate due to drink!
  • ecureuil 17 Oct 2012 17:24:53 76,832 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most memorable for me was the Mad Capsule Markets in Rock City (Nottingham) several years ago.. I don't expect anybody to have heard of them, they're (or were) basically a Japanese industrial-metal-electronica band. They had a song in Tony Hawks 3, which is about the height of their overseas fame. The gig was mental though, I was at the front getting crushed against the barriers, and at one point I looked over my shoulder and the pit was only about 3 deep. Felt like there was a stadium behind me, I've been in far bigger crowds that haven't been half as intense. And they played the gig like they were performing to a stadium, bless 'em.
  • MikeP 17 Oct 2012 17:30:59 1,871 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seeing Spiritualized perform Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space complete with gospel choir at The Barbican in 2010 (I think)

Sigur Ros at the Latitude festival.

Watching Low perform at the Barbican last year, just fabulous.

Pixies playing Doolittle at Brixton last year. I missed them when I was a craven youth, they still sound tremendous.

Aaaand, it's not technically a gig, but for sheer musical spectacle I saw a screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey with full orchestra and choir at the Royal Festival Hall. So much noise, so much silence.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• overcorpse 17 Oct 2012 17:32:59 268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Alastair I was in the Army back then and i got roped into stewarding for that gig,30 quid extras money which was frankly taking the piss.Also did the Freddie Mercury Tribute.

My all time favorite has to be AC/DC at Donington 1991.For 2 and a bit hours i was completely blown away plus i got to see Vince Neal in Motley Crue.Also got into a mass punch up with some US Marines.

All in all was a great gig.

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• kickerconspiracy 17 Oct 2012 17:36:21 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MikeP

Low are always amazing. I've lost count how many times I've seen them now.
  • Rusty_M 17 Oct 2012 18:19:53 4,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Barenaked Ladies, Maroon Tour 2001 Edinburgh Corn Exchange

Met my first girlfriend that day, too.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• CaptCastle 17 Oct 2012 18:25:43 33 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gateshead 1992. Guns n Roses, Soundgarden, Faith No More.

Ah, good times.
  • CaptCastle 17 Oct 2012 18:27:51 33 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooh, forgot RATM at Glastonbury 94.

Can't decide which was better!
  • Vortex808 17 Oct 2012 18:46:15 7,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seeing Fugazi in a smallish club on their uk tour late 90's.

Mudhoney in a very small club a few years back. Still great and Mark Arm had apparently barely aged. I want some of what he's been taking. Not the heroin though. This gig made an old(ish) man very happy.

James Brown, again late 90's. He couldn't do the splits any more, but by god he was still great.

Edited by Vortex808 at 18:48:52 17-10-2012
  • Clive_Dunn 17 Oct 2012 19:46:13 4,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pulp / Elastica / Longpigs @LA2, 1993-ish.
    Beth Orton at the Union Chapel, Islington 2004ish. She's pretty dull, but folk music in a big old church...
    Half Man Half Biscuit, Phoenix festival ( well a manky old tent really ) 1996. Got very drunk, told attractive women she had Dickie Davis eyes. Unimpressed.
  • FuzzyDuck 17 Oct 2012 20:34:44 4,145 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rush, 2011 at the O2 (the one in Dublin) - 3.5 hour set, 'Moving Pictures' in it's entirety (which was extra exciting for me as Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are my two favourite songs off that record), hearing some of the new 'Clockwork Angels' material for the first time, their first Irish gig and a whole venue full of delighted fans, magic.

Cynic, 2008 at Vicar Street, Dublin - i had my ticket for Opeth and I recall getting an email from the promoters' mailing list announcing Cynic as the support. I actually jumped with excitement out of my seat in the net cafe. I was actually getting to see Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert on stage together under the Cynic name. They played 3 songs each from both albums (i was dumbstruck hearing 'Uroboric Forms'). It didn't hurt that half of Exivious were playing with them on the night either! I would've been happy to head off home after that, had zero interest in watching Opeth after witnessing two of my all time musical heroes!

Suffocation, 2008 at Whelans, Dublin - to give this a bit of context, the gig was moved because of technical difficulties to this great wee venue in Dublin called Whealans. This place is a typical pub, and the same size to boot. And here was none other than Suffocation laying utter waste to the place! A guy in one of the support bands even remarked about how lucky we were to be seeing legends in a pub! The guys from Suffocation were just casually milling about the place with everyone and merrily chatting away with folk (except for Mike Smith of course, because he's proven time and again what a complete twat he is).

Tori Amos, 2005 at Vicar Street, Dublin - entirely raw and visceral, how can one person have so much stage presence?
  • steve242526 17 Oct 2012 22:31:39 132 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got to be R.E.M. July 29th 1995 at Milton Keynes National Bowl with support from Blur. Hottest day of the year in a field with 65000 fans. Great time !
  • gang_of_bitches 17 Oct 2012 22:41:23 5,618 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    James Brown at Aberdeen Exhibition Centre sometime in the late 90s - what an incredibly tight show.

Saw him as the closing act of V97, or possibly 98. It was a choice between him or The Verve. A few of my friends went to see The Verve, but if for no other reason than I thought considering his age I may never get a chance to see him again I opted for the godfather of Soul. I did not regret it, even his band warming up the crowd were just awesome and when he came on he had the same voice, charisma and energy that you see in footage from years ago.

Somewhat Ironically The Verve split up a few weeks later and JB continued to tour for a good five years afterwards.

Most fun I've ever had at a gig was probably Jurassic 5 in maybe 2005 before Cut Chemist left, the things he did to make music were just amazing.

But my all time favourite gigging experience was all the times I've been to see Super Furry Animals- brilliant songs, brilliant performers and the euphoria of going mental to Man Don't Give A Fuck is for me about as good as it gets.
  • brainbird 17 Oct 2012 22:47:51 2,220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sepultura and Fudge Tunnel in the Volkshaus in Zurich, sometime early/mid 90s.

Went there because of Sepultura and came back as a Fudge Tunnel fan. What a great band that was. I still have the t-shirt somewhere.
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Oct 2012 23:02:23 1,484 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ecureuil Dude they are my favourite band of all time. I saw them in oxford on the system konfilqt tour, despite living in Wolverhampton at the time. Your experience sounds about the same as mine, fun but absolutely mental. One of the best nights of my life. They were one of Japans biggest bands for a time so they were used to playing stadiums ;)

If you're still into them check out AA=, it's the band the bassist made after MCM split. Keeping in mind he did all the music, it's the same kind of thing with a different singer and a more electronic feel. All 3 albums are on iTunes. Seriously, I need someone else to hassle their facebook page for a UK tour!

Edit:spelling

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 23:17:49 17-10-2012

For the emperor!

• FanBoysSuck 17 Oct 2012 23:05:49 1,484 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Rush, 2011 at the O2 (the one in Dublin) - 3.5 hour set, 'Moving Pictures' in it's entirety (which was extra exciting for me as Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are my two favourite songs off that record), hearing some of the new 'Clockwork Angels' material for the first time, their first Irish gig and a whole venue full of delighted fans, magic.
    Time machine tour, right? I saw the same set in Birmingham. It was truly amazing. I'll be seeing them for the third time in may for the clockwork angles tour :D

For the emperor!

• TFM_Excalibur 17 Oct 2012 23:14:46 1,060 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alter bridge in glasgow at the tail end of last year, the SECC was packed, was a hell of a good night.
  • Rusty_M 17 Oct 2012 23:36:10 4,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

Damn, I'm jealous of you seeing Rush. I just couldn't afford it. They're a band I'd love to see. I don't know a huge amount of their stuff, but I love everything I've heard so far.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Deleted user 17 October 2012 23:42:32
    The Cramps and The Damned, one Halloween in the 90s.

Pixies at Manchester and Brixton on the Doolittle tour (the first time)

Edited by bdaggers at 23:44:33 17-10-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Oct 2012 00:51:53 4,145 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Time machine tour, right? I saw the same set in Birmingham. It was truly amazing. I'll be seeing them for the third time in may for the clockwork angles tour :D
    That's the one alright! :D

It's a bit of a shame they don't seem to be returning to Ireland after the reception they got, bu the main 'big gig' promoter over here is pretty crap to be honest.

I'd love to seem tham on the CA tour as i genuinely believe that it's up there with Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, (and my favourite) A Farewell To Kings as one of the best albums in their entire catalogue.
  • FuzzyDuck 18 Oct 2012 00:58:29 4,145 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rusty_M

If you ever get the chance, do catch them live. I know a handful of folk who went as non-fans with their boyfriends and still loved it as it was such a great spectacle and the atmosphere was superb.

OUt of interest, which albums have you heard so far?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last