Booth Babes and the Expo Page 21

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:07:23 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kalel Sorry, it kind of got all mixed up. I apologise for going off topic >.<
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2012 16:08:10 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the term "gamer" means more than just someone who plays games. If you're a gamer, then that's a hobby. Not just something you do every so often to pass the time.

Imo, of course...
  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 16:09:03 19,163 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's like saying because I enjoy a burger I'm not any less of a meat-eater than than a T-Rex. There's a difference between being a person who plays games (esp. with Facebook) and a gamer... someone who waits for new games, reads up on 'em, has a catalogue of stuff they like etc.

It's like the difference between having a collection of 500 cds and seeing live bands 3-4 times per month and owning the Coldplay back-catalogue and loving Steps. One person is a music lover, the other is a criminal and a philistine.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• morriss 11 Oct 2012 16:11:17 70,976 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You forgot deviant.
  • kinky_mong 11 Oct 2012 16:11:44 10,271 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    That's like saying because I enjoy a burger I'm not any less of a meat-eater than than a T-Rex. There's a difference between being a person who plays games (esp. with Facebook) and a gamer... someone who waits for new games, reads up on 'em, has a catalogue of stuff they like etc.

It's like the difference between having a collection of 500 cds and seeing live bands 3-4 times per month and owning the Coldplay back-catalogue and loving Steps. One person is a music lover, the other is a criminal and a philistine.
    Much better metaphors than my hairdresser one.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 16:12:04 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, difference between being an artist and a ludographer.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Chopsen 11 Oct 2012 16:12:27 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @Chopsen The difference is in the game. But whoever is playing is a person who enjoys gaming. I don't like the same games my brother does, but it doesn't mean he's any less of a gamer than I am.
    Less of a gamer in what sense? I know you said is "not less of a gamer" but for that to mean something, saying "less of a gamer" has to mean something. So what do you mean by that?
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:13:31 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As I said, for some of these FB users, it's more than a hobby, it's a passion. They wait for updates, new items, special holidays etc. And they can get nasty if they don't get it.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 16:14:51
    For some of them it's not a passion, it's an addiction. Look up Cow Clicker.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:16:58 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, I can't really criticise. I once played GW for 27 hours straight just because the game kept telling me to take a break every hour :p
  • Chopsen 11 Oct 2012 16:17:34 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:

Much better metaphors than my hairdresser one.
    The really big distinction, from a company's point of view, is one group is likely to spend hundreds (possibly thousands?) a year on gaming and related nonsense, wheras the other is going to spend a few quid, or possibly nothing at all. Now, if you were a company trying to make money, which group would you focus your marketing on? Which of those groups is more likely to turn up at an expo? Does anyone think that people who's "gaming" entirely consists of, say, mobile games for less than a quid is going to make the effort to go to an expo?
  • Lukus 11 Oct 2012 16:17:45 19,104 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's all just a bit gay isn't it.

Paintings & Photographs

• Chopsen 11 Oct 2012 16:18:32 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    As I said, for some of these FB users, it's more than a hobby, it's a passion. They wait for updates, new items, special holidays etc. And they can get nasty if they don't get it.
    I'm not sure if that's an answer to me or not. So what would make someone less of a gamer?
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2012 16:18:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    If I own and only care about one kind of car, can I be considered a "car enthusiast"?

The answer is no. No I cannot.

Like my wife - loves pickles. But only the dill. Bread and butter, sweet... no chance, but she'll eat dill pickles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Is she a "pickle connoisseur," though?

The answer is no. No she is not.

Edited by ronuds at 16:22:26 11-10-2012
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:20:24 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chopsen BUT (how I do love playing Devil's advocate), one company spends millions on a game that will be on a physical (for the most part) format and will have a one off pay. While the other spends a LOT less on the creation of the game and can keep it going for years, with minimal cost, and people will STILL spend money on it (and some spend ridiculous amounts).
  • morriss 11 Oct 2012 16:22:42 70,976 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pickles
  • Chopsen 11 Oct 2012 16:23:48 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    @Chopsen BUT (how I do love playing Devil's advocate), one company spends millions on a game that will be on a physical (for the most part) format and will have a one off pay. While the other spends a LOT less on the creation of the game and can keep it going for years, with minimal cost, and people will STILL spend money on it (and some spend ridiculous amounts).
    Yeah, they're different. You're the one that was arguing they're the same.

Edited by Chopsen at 16:24:53 11-10-2012
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:23:57 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ronuds Liking something does not make you a connoisseur, of course. The same way that me liking fantasy and sci-fi books does not make me a bibliophile. But it doesn't mean I'm not a reader.
  • AaronTurner 11 Oct 2012 16:24:37 7,736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Booth Babes are fine, just ensure there are the same amount of Stall Studs in jock straps and bowties on the floor.
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:26:00 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chopsen I'm not saying that the games are the same, I'm saying that if a person likes playing games, they can call themselves gamers, if they want to. Why should WHAT games they play make any difference?
  • morriss 11 Oct 2012 16:26:25 70,976 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like we've got ourselves a reader.

/Hicks
  • LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:26:43 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    One thing I am loving about this thread is how many names are coming up for the male equivalent of Booth Babes xD
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 16:28:24
    LadyAvalon wrote:
    Why should WHAT games they play make any difference?
    Is this actually part of the main discussion or something entirely different? If the former, because different games are marketed differently, and thus "gamer" is not an all-encompassing demographic.
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2012 16:30:03 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @LadyAvalon - Exactly.

Bibliophile is to gamer as reader is to someone who plays games.
  • Chopsen 11 Oct 2012 16:31:28 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I could call myself Jedi Knight if I want to, doesn't mean it means anything objectively to anyone else. Except that it marks me out as a bit of twat.

People who play certain types of games (casual vs non-casual) *tend* to *generally* be different, in what they spend their money on, how much they spend, demographics, taste. To pretend they're all the same because they happen to play some form of game is, like I said, idiotic. Multiple people have pointed out the fallacy in your argument, and you don't seem to be getting it. I don't really know how else to explain it to you. Are you having difficulty with the analogies given?
  • warlockuk 11 Oct 2012 16:32:14 19,163 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't a bibliophile someone who shags books? :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• LadyAvalon 11 Oct 2012 16:36:28 40 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Because for me a gamer is a person who plays games, whether casual or not. A reader is someone who reads books, either fiction or non fiction. It's that simple for me.

My 'fallacy' is that I don't go around pointing fingers and saying 'You're not a REAL gamer'. And you know what? I'm kinda proud of that.
  • Chopsen 11 Oct 2012 16:39:18 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who's pointing finger at who and calling people real/not real gamers? You were the one who started using the term "lesser" gamers, and that is why I asked you what you meant by it.

You're the one who views "gamer" as being a value laden term.

Other people are just pointing out how commerce works.

Edited by Chopsen at 16:39:47 11-10-2012
  • LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 16:41:56 44,168 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm totally lost as to what this woman is banging on about, to be honest.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 30 First / Last