BMW Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• thedaveeyres 19 Oct 2012 13:37:00 10,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    was that affliction pre-existing
    Yes, but I feel my car has help to distill it whilst giving it a socially acceptable outlet.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Blakester 19 Oct 2012 13:37:40 3,573 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used to have a BMW 3 series, bought it from new and loved it for about a year.

After a while though you realize that you paid a small fortune for a badge. They are nice to drive, but for the price you pay, I would personally expect to get a lot more as standard. The price BMW charge for optional extras is an absolute joke.

Don't even get me started on the price of maintenance or the depreciation.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• askew 19 Oct 2012 13:42:24 12,027 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I actually don't know if it is 4wd, i know it has a fancy braking system. A quick look on their website doesn't seem to help either. It is a 12 plate though.

COuple of things I'm not to keen on so far are that the steering seems quite light (but much more feeling that VAG cars), and also the interior isn't as plush as VAG cars either - bit too much hard plastic
    That's probably cos it's an ES - they do get nicer as you go up to SE and Sport, but it's mostly options that'll make the difference.

The light steering could be the adaptive steering they have: the faster you go the heavier it feels. Supposed to make driving around town nice and easy. You can disable it.

I've a 1-series, and like it, but the 1.6 engine it has is too pokey. Get around 35mpg. I did get fucked over by the tiny amount of snow we had in March: it had become nice and compacted on the drive and couldn't reverse off (despite being as gentle as possible, and disabling traction control). Had to get a little push :D
  • thedaveeyres 19 Oct 2012 13:42:58 10,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought mine second hand and it has been good value so far: BMW 320I '05 bought two years back for 7k. It's superficially scratched to hell, but it's got loads of extras. My primary concern was to get a small tank so that I felt my two young uns had more protection than they did in the shitty Clio I had before. Touch wood, this has proved to be the case and given me peace of mind on the school run and for that alone, it's worth it for me. Also, sweet cup holders and an Aux Line In on the stereo.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Alastair 19 Oct 2012 14:26:28 15,440 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    I had an A4 and it was bloody lovely. Can't really knock it at all.
    Easily stolen off the drive apparently.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Alastair 19 Oct 2012 14:31:09 15,440 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Any people who have had a BMW strongly suggest I don't buy one? Why?

Likewise the other way around and any views on Audi a4 v BMW 3 series? Unfortunately it has to be Audi or BMW (or VW but I don't like any of their cars apart from Golfs)
    Received knowledge from my chum who knows more about motors than me was that the BMW drives better but the Audi has a nicer interior.

I currently have a 320D Touring and really like it. Thinking about getting a 'new' car early next year. Will either get another BMW or an A4. Nothing wrong with the 320 at all, but I thought I might try the A4 for comparison. Certainly I will test drive one.

I don't really give a fuck about it being perceived as a cunt's car - it's the cunt who's driving who causes the problem and there are plenty of those in all models...

• neilka 19 Oct 2012 14:32:44 15,647 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair is the loveliest cunt around.
  • Alastair 19 Oct 2012 14:40:54 15,440 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vote for me as lovliest cunt on the forum!

• Deckard1 19 Oct 2012 15:05:05 27,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've started driving like an absolute cunt since I got my GTI, but I still see Audi drivers out cunting me at every turn. There's a roundabout on the way to work that queues in the left lane every morning, and you can almost guarantee some cunt in an A3 will drive down the right hand lane go all the way around the roundabout and skip the queue. Every morning it gets me a little bit more angry. I'm now at the level of making a wanker sign to anyone who does it. Soon I fear I may be taking a knife with me.
  • Slikz 19 Oct 2012 15:11:43 250 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tested both and drove away in a BMW 335i. The A4 is a nice car, but the beemer edges it for me, great handling, fantastic performance, good build quality and idrive (user interface). Next car will be a 4 door M3.
  • kalel 19 Oct 2012 15:12:24 86,331 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beamers and Audis are both for cunts.

/drives a Merc
  • Blakester 19 Oct 2012 15:15:38 3,573 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:

/drives a Merc
    Clarkson drives a Merc :D

• nickthegun 19 Oct 2012 15:19:18 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive always lusted after a BMW but after driving around in a Mini Cooper SD Countryman All4 (to give it its full title) all week, I hope they go bankrupt. Itís the most god awful car in human creation.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 19 Oct 2012 15:25:18 27,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Countryman are fucking repulsive in every way (and I say that as someone who used to own a cooper s)
  • kalel 19 Oct 2012 15:29:33 86,331 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    kalel wrote:

/drives a Merc
    Clarkson drives a Merc :D
    So did Hitler.

But seriously, when it comes to efficient machinery, there's really no higher authority than those two.
  • Deleted user 19 October 2012 15:36:57
    kalel wrote:

/drives a Merc
    fuck you buddy
  • Deleted user 19 October 2012 15:39:59
    Anyway, when I decide to move to a bigger house in a couple of years I might get an Audi TT. I almost got one this time but my parking space is a little too small and the GF told me it was too flashy.

Another couple of years and the flashy stops being a problem too.
  • Blakester 19 Oct 2012 15:41:31 3,573 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Anyway, when I decide to move to a bigger house in a couple of years I might get an Audi TT. I almost got one this time but my parking space is a little too small and the GF told me it was too flashy.

Another couple of years and the flashy stops being a problem too.
    Can I have a short back and sides please?

• nickthegun 19 Oct 2012 15:54:05 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Countryman are fucking repulsive in every way (and I say that as someone who used to own a cooper s)
    This, amazingly, has nothing to do with how it looks on the outside. Itís the cabin. Its so fucktastically spasticated, you may as well call it the homer.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 19 Oct 2012 16:14:26 27,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh I've never been close enough to actually go in one. They really are one of the most hideous looking cars on the planet. If Michael Bay made a high octane Postman Pat movie, his van would look like the countryman. Sort of.
  • Alastair 19 Oct 2012 16:16:36 15,440 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:

/drives a Merc
    I had a Merc before a BMW. I can be a lovely cunt in any car.

• Deleted user 19 October 2012 16:19:34
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I've started driving like an absolute cunt since I got my GTI, but I still see Audi drivers out cunting me at every turn. There's a roundabout on the way to work that queues in the left lane every morning, and you can almost guarantee some cunt in an A3 will drive down the right hand lane go all the way around the roundabout and skip the queue. Every morning it gets me a little bit more angry. I'm now at the level of making a wanker sign to anyone who does it. Soon I fear I may be taking a knife with me.
    Doesn't everyone do this? If not, why the fuck not?
  • Deckard1 19 Oct 2012 16:23:58 27,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Because its a fucking queue. If everyone done it there would be a fucking queue in the right hand lane. I'LL FUCKING STAB YOU!

Edited by Deckard1 at 16:35:55 19-10-2012
  • nickthegun 19 Oct 2012 16:31:47 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    its the people who go straight across that do me, not even bothering to do the loop around the roundabout.

Ive had quite a few near misses while maintaining a 'no you dont, you cunt' stance on this. One day, someone will out accelerate me and swipe the front of my car off.

He totally called it

• Bremenacht 19 Oct 2012 16:37:57 17,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So you can go for the very short queue or the very long queue and you choose the very long queue every time?

Ok.
  • Deckard1 19 Oct 2012 16:39:07 27,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cunt
  • Alastair 19 Oct 2012 16:39:59 15,440 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    While technically correct and not illegal, my inner anti-cunt prevents me from doing such a thing (even though I drive a BMW).

• Bremenacht 19 Oct 2012 16:40:03 17,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ive had quite a few near misses while maintaining a 'no you dont, you cunt' stance on this. One day, someone will out accelerate me and swipe the front of my car off.
    The highway code says you should "Hold your horn button down the entire time they're being a cunt, while screaming CUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNT".
  • Bremenacht 19 Oct 2012 16:41:02 17,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So people who prefer not to queue for a very long time are cunts? I just don't understand this at all. Any other queuing fans out there?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last