of 2 First / Last

Next
  • RyanDS 2 Oct 2012 17:40:12 9,436 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    von_Doll wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Promotions make you more marketable when you decide to leave, well up until you reach a level high enough when youre too expensive to hire.

Both times ive been promoted in my company ive had bugger all pay rise. But my CV looks nice with VP on it instead of gimp.
    This is true.
    Working all hours for comparatively low pay just because it looks good on a CV? Seriously? How wide is your arsehole? :)
    I have done that twice. Both times it meant after a year when I left to get another job it added at least 3K to my salary. I'd say by volunteering to do shit like that over a 7 year period I my salary is around 6,000 to 8,000 more per year than it would be otherwise.

It's always worth playing the long term game when it comes to career decisions like this.
  • kinky_mong 2 Oct 2012 17:41:23 10,357 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Basically if your work has given you a promotion but no pay-rise they are playing you for a mug. Fight back by asking for the pay rise in writing, and if they won't do it make it very obvious that you are looking around.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• kalel 2 Oct 2012 17:56:40 87,933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a balance to be found here. It's not uncommon (especially in these hard times) for people to get the work load of a promotion without the pay rise, and I guess the expectation is that you do it for a bit to prove yourself and then you get the reward.

That's all fine and I've done it, but you do have to be careful how you manage it. Again, the trick is to try and get some agreed parameters in place about what you have to do to solidify the pay rise and when. I think employers actually respect you for this. It shows you're switched on and motivated. Nobody wants to employ a mug.

Don't treat the "better CV" thing as a consolation. That's not good for you career.
  • Dante_Cubit 2 Oct 2012 18:11:07 1,927 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think a lot of it really depends upon the quality of the management. I've been promoted three times in the past five years and each time I've progressively taken on responsibilities that were beyond my role description. I know it isn't because my boss is taking piss, he just wants to be sure that I can handle the responsibilities associated with being at the next level.

There is an old saying about people being promoted to the point of incompetence...
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next