The World of Warcraft thread - EG on Bloodscalp (Horde) Page 3

• Page

of 417 First / Last

• DrCongo 10 Jan 2005 14:38:52 912 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chris Gardiner wrote:
    Dr. Congo - we must be nemeseseseses, you undead fiend! :)
    And a Buffy quote, no less! Good man (even though you belong to the smelly do-good namby-pamby Alliance) :)
  • Nemesis 10 Jan 2005 19:50:47 18,742 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still downloading!

Only another 500 meg to go.

/begins to cry.
  • Hicksy 10 Jan 2005 20:33:23 2,596 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    my housem8 is playing it right now and it's... very pretty and chunky and smells like sweeeet sweeeet honey

/counts days to actual release as has better things to do than play a beta
  • Deleted user 10 January 2005 21:28:37
    was on 34% but have delayed it to download CoH. Will be hard choosing between the two :/
  • Aga 10 Jan 2005 21:54:11 2,148 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rdysn5, Nemesis spends 4 days downloading WoW, it's *that* good! =)
  • Deleted user 10 January 2005 22:05:23
    here's something you may find useful:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=12692&topic=18573279ul

enjoy :)

(edit: when you paste it in, remove the space between the 18573 and 279ul)

Edited by Rdysn5 at 22:07:29 10-01-2005
  • Salaman 10 Jan 2005 23:50:42 19,592 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mine's been runnign 24 hours.

Currently somewhere over 40%.
    I just shut it down cuz the browsing was too slow.
    I'll let it run a bit more tomorrow.

• Clive_Dunn 11 Jan 2005 06:09:30 4,788 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    97% and I've got to go to work. Bah.
  • Chris-Gardiner 11 Jan 2005 08:14:50 962 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blimey - sorry it's taking you chaps so long to download; that sucks.

It *is* worth it, though. Come over to Final Beta Server 4 and join the fun! That server seems to be the least overcrowded one (or it dd when I joined, anyway).

One thing I'm impressed with, which might be due to it being Beta rather than final release, is how nice most people are. Lots of friendly buffing, healing and helping out. Plus, yesterday, a nice priest enchanted the armour of the first 3 people to find him, for free! Luckily, he happened to be standing behind me when he made the offer. :)
  • Aga 11 Jan 2005 10:56:51 2,148 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it the broadband or the download rate you are getting that is hurting so much on the download time?

I am enjoying the final beta as I knew I would, only trouble is that I dont get time enough to play as much as I would want/need. Minish Cap is suffering in playing time at the moment =(

• Nemesis 11 Jan 2005 11:39:15 18,742 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think it's the download speed. I'm on a 768 line and it's still only crawling down at 10kbps on a GOOD day.

It finished last night, I left the installer running as I knew that'd take a while.

• Whizzo 11 Jan 2005 11:51:40 43,342 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I've got this and CoH pre-ordered (I'm in the CoH beta) now I've played AO, DAOC, Planetside and obviously CoH so can anyone tell me just what is so good about WoW?

I'm not being critical I just want to know what it does that marks it out as being so special over the others, especially DAOC as that was the in thing for quite a while when it launched as well.

Obviously the huge amount of plaudits and sales it's had means it must be good but as someone who has played MMORPGs I'd like to know if it isn't just another level treadmill game.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Nemesis 11 Jan 2005 11:54:56 18,742 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hopefully it's not treadmill and generic. The main draw for me is that it works on the Mac, looks good, is Blizzard and has some fancy characters and worlds.

We shall see.
  • magicpanda 11 Jan 2005 12:08:45 13,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dont understand this treadmill business (apart from maybe Ultima Online :-/) I think these games are what you make them...if you have a big enough world and some good people playing (and for me the abilty collect and create unique items etc.)there is no reason for it to become a level treadmill.

Like nemesis said, Blizzard and has some fancy characters and worlds so it should be a great game even if to just explore.
  • Aga 11 Jan 2005 16:08:29 2,148 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am fairly new to mmorpgs, I only tried the Lineage2 beta and enjoyed that to a degree, but WoW sucked me right in. WoW has well written and designed quests, nice flow of gameplay and a beatifully crafted world. I am fairly sure you will like it Whizzo. Although it shouldnt stop you from trying to gather some OPF ppl now and then.
  • Seto 11 Jan 2005 16:43:05 671 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /runs in shouting "EQ2 is da best!"

/does a strangle wank on the floor

/makes a mess

/rolls away from damp spot

/falls asleep
  • Chris-Gardiner 11 Jan 2005 16:57:19 962 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As a total noob to the world of MMOs, here's my take on why World of Warcraft is so good.

It's not because it innovates (at all, as far as I can see), or redefines what an MMO is trying to do, or because it's introducing radical new gameplay concepts to an old genre. It's simply this: that World of Warcraft is, every second you play it, fun.

A treadmill is only a treadmill because it's dull, and WoW doesn't *do* dull. Even first level characters start with a handful of different abilities, and before you know it you're level two and have learned a slew more. And new skills and improvements are parcelled out generously every couple of levels, so there's always something new to play with.

The diverse abilities mean combat's never about clicking 'attack' and sitting back - it's thinking, and active, and exciting. Learn your character well, and you can take on creatures quite a bit tougher than you. You can always push the envelope.

Even the tradeskills are fast, reliable, and interesting. No random failure chance. No churning out the same low-level item hundreds of times to increase your skill. Find a recipe, gather the ingredients, and go.

There's always something new to poke at. Just as you're used to the basic quest types you might be sent on a mission into hostile territory to find out what happened to missing guardsmen, or sent on a griffin ride to a capitol city. I came across a bandit in the woods recently, killed him, and found on his body a parchment that revealed what he'd been up to and started me on a whole new quest that led me to a new location.

But best of all, everything has context. Blizzard love the world they've created, and want you to see as much of it - and get as involved in it - as possible. Each area has its own story arcs and atmosphere, which the quests immerse you in. You're never taking random object A to location B; you're carrying a desperate plea for more supplies from a beleagured outpost by griffin, or trying to win the bounty on the head of a particularly fierce gnoll who's been plaguing the forests. It all has a *point*.

And when MMO silliness kicks in, like when twenty other people are after the same gnoll, you can just open your quest log and choose one of the other dozen quests your involved in instead. WoW does a fantastic job of compensating for the bizarre behaviour MMOs generate, and it never forces you into something, but guides you on your way.

It's top.
  • magicpanda 11 Jan 2005 17:04:34 13,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SOLD! :)

when can i play this?
  • Chris-Gardiner 11 Jan 2005 17:09:01 962 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sometime in February, it sounds like.
  • Stachey 11 Jan 2005 23:56:35 418 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I may have just come to the the end of my beta experience for now (persons whos account I was borrowing has nearly finished his download - so he'll be using it now) and I have to agree with the hype, it is truely awesome.
    I sincerely recommend you all play on PvP servers though, just a few hours ago we had alliance raiding our territory. There is a Local Defence chat channel where everyone was reporting sightings and co ordinating the defence:) We pushed them out of our territory then moved into contested territory where we spent about 30mins killing mobs that were like 10 levels above us:)
    Great night!

Oh well in 2 days I made it to Level 15 Undead Priest and not one moment was boring grind!

Edited by Stachey at 23:56:55 11-01-2005
  • Khab 12 Jan 2005 00:17:37 6,576 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dammit! Stop sounding so damn fun!

/cries at thought of wallet
  • Aga 12 Jan 2005 09:13:09 2,148 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's worth an extra squeeze of the wallet Khab ;)
  • Chris-Gardiner 12 Jan 2005 09:29:00 962 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are you all downloaded yet, Nem?
  • magicpanda 12 Jan 2005 09:34:26 13,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Aga 12 Jan 2005 09:52:17 2,148 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    It finished last night, I left the installer running as I knew that'd take a while.
    I think he did Chris. Any first impressions though Nemesis?
  • Clive_Dunn 12 Jan 2005 10:13:50 4,788 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just started playing, its very impressive indeed. And people are actually friendly, beta days are always the most fun - everyone learning together.

Are we going to try and get an EG guild going ? I was thinking of playing a Horde priest.
  • magicpanda 12 Jan 2005 10:20:39 13,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it possible for me to get involved in the beta? Are they still taking preorders?
  • Aga 12 Jan 2005 11:07:52 2,148 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Magic Panda, I got my final beta key from Game, and they stated on their webpage that they had run out of those beta kits. It was available only from Game online as a pre-order AFAIK. I also got another one from the official Blizzard site for a mate, but they sold out aswell. At least the Collectors Edition went fast, and I cant find that page again. Seems UK is sucked dry.

Your hope to test it free is if they start an open beta before retail. They wrote on their website;
    Blizzard Entertainment is proud to announce the start of the Final European World of Warcraft Beta Test. The first group of new players to be added to the current Beta testers during the first phase of the Final Beta are those who obtained their Final Beta keys through the official European pre-order campaign. In its second phase, the Final European Beta Test will be opened up to an even bigger number of players
  • magicpanda 12 Jan 2005 11:15:39 13,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks Aga, looks like ebay could be my friend here...
  • Chris-Gardiner 12 Jan 2005 13:02:37 962 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    I've just started playing, its very impressive indeed. And people are actually friendly, beta days are always the most fun - everyone learning together.
    That's right - it's really cool at the moment. Everyone's helping each other out. I had a chap enchant some of my armour for free, which encouraged me to do the same once I learned the skill - it's so cute when the little avatars jump for joy. :) And it's a good way to improve your skill level.

And if you're doing a tough quest, you can usually ask someone around to give you a hand. I've not had anyone say no yet.

Are we going to try and get an EG guild going ? I was thinking of playing a Horde priest.
    I want to play Horde in the final release, so I'm happily exploring the Alliance at the moment.

I did my first class-specific quest this lunchtime, which earned me a new ability. Excellent stuff.
  • Page

of 417 First / Last