Planetside 2 Page 48

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• orpheus 9 Jun 2013 18:53:24 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I'll be back soon, don't delete me UBAD! Just enjoying the weather at the moment.
    Don't worry, no one gets kicked for inactivity. We're all enjoying the weather, lol.
  • RedSparrows 15 Jun 2013 23:51:08 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, had three crashes.

CPU temp was a little high, but nothing awful - 60C max.

Full freeze, but no auto-shutdown. Hmmm.

I play it on peasant settings to maximise frame-rate. Might have to put it on back-burner until I upgrade.

Edited by RedSparrows at 23:51:42 15-06-2013
  • RedSparrows 16 Jun 2013 00:15:22 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not temp. Will update drivers and wait for a patch.
  • TheRealBadabing 16 Jun 2013 01:14:06 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't worry about your machine, PS2 still has a lot of issues like memory leaks. My CPU (an old i3) maxes out at around 85 after a big battle and it doesn't concern me at all. If I get a nasty crash, alt-tab to task manager works every time for me, never even have to reboot.

Lots of tweaks and patches every week or two and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if their PS4 team has asked for a few bits of code to be trialled on the PC client occasionally.
  • orpheus 16 Jun 2013 05:03:48 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah Badabing is right - it's not your machine, it's just the game. I sometimes get two or three a night; sometimes it's the server, and sometimes it's the client. Alt tab, kill it in task manager and load it up again. :)
  • RedSparrows 16 Jun 2013 23:25:47 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deleting those files seemed to work. Until it crashed again.

Ah well. I'll investigate further.
  • RedSparrows 18 Jun 2013 11:19:06 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have submitted a ticket, fingers crossed.

In other news, I cannot believe it's taken me this long to fully appreciate the game. It's not normally gameplay I like, but the scale is what makes it.

Also, I just had an epic hour on Esamir (alert: control all of Esamir. Vanu currently have 55% or so!). I took bases by myself, I cleared TR scum off a mountain above Glacier Base (getting 18 kills in the process), I nuked Sunderers, I knifed NC losers in the back of the head, I crashed my Scythe, AGAIN!

And then I crashed out. FFS.

Gotta go back in though... Either I am buying a PS4 or I am upgrading my PC: either way, I need more of this.
  • binky Moderator 18 Jun 2013 11:49:47 9,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:

In other news, I cannot believe it's taken me this long to fully appreciate the game. It's not normally gameplay I like, but the scale is what makes it.

Also, I just had an epic hour on Esamir (alert: control all of Esamir. Vanu currently have 55% or so!). I took bases by myself, I cleared TR scum off a mountain above Glacier Base (getting 18 kills in the process), I nuked Sunderers, I knifed NC losers in the back of the head, I crashed my Scythe, AGAIN!

Gotta go back in though... Either I am buying a PS4 or I am upgrading my PC: either way, I need more of this.
    This made me grin from ear to ear.
    Really miss Planetside from the original days. I reckon PS4 for me to get back into it. I hope there is a big enough take up of people wanting to play it on console to give it that epic feeling.
  • BillMurray 18 Jun 2013 12:44:01 7,796 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finally started giving this a proper go now i've turned some of my friends onto it. Typically how many team mates does it take to capture a capture point?
  • RedSparrows 18 Jun 2013 13:38:44 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As many as there are enemies + a few for good measure.

You can cap with 1 if nobody else is around/bothers to respond.
  • BillMurray 18 Jun 2013 13:41:41 7,796 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gotcha. Me and a few friends spent a lot of time at capture points scratching our heads wondering why the bar wasn't filling up.
  • RedSparrows 18 Jun 2013 13:46:01 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah there are some bases that seem to 'lockdown' at times, but I've yet to work out why.

I am loving this, but the crashing (forcing me to reset my PC) is really fucking annoying. I've run mem tests, temp tests, etc etc, no issues on my system as far as I can see. I've got another 4GB stick on the way for 8GB. Should help in general.
  • Benno 18 Jun 2013 13:48:13 10,034 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    binky wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:

This made me grin from ear to ear.
    Really miss Planetside from the original days. I reckon PS4 for me to get back into it. I hope there is a big enough take up of people wanting to play it on console to give it that epic feeling.
    I am sure there will be. Its one of those games which spreads well with word of mouth. Some guy tries it, enjoys it, and then ropes all his friends into playing. Additionally, its F2P so theres no upfront cost barrier.
  • orpheus 18 Jun 2013 18:41:58 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Gotcha. Me and a few friends spent a lot of time at capture points scratching our heads wondering why the bar wasn't filling up.
    You cannot capture a base if the connecting (adjacent) territory is contested. On Indar, with the lattice, the connections are fairly straightforward, but on Esamir/Amerish, which don't have the lattice, it still applies - so you can get weird situations where gens & points won't flip because one of x adjacent hexes is contested.

'Contested' = has a capture point claimed by the enemy, or has an active capture bar. For example, on Indar, if you want to hit Quartz Ridge, you must own Hvar Tech Plant first. If you move into Quartz Ridge, but an enemy sneaks past and flips the Hvar capture point before you flip the one at Quartz, you won't be able to flip Quartz until someone has gone back and secured the Hvar connection.

Don't forget we have an outfit (Vanu, Miller), all welcome!

Edited by orpheus at 18:42:37 18-06-2013
  • RedSparrows 19 Jun 2013 19:27:47 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saul - I am now CrookedTimber.

I downloaded PS2 through Steam, NOT wherever else I got it from, and I think it's plonked me in a different customer database or some such, so I've 'lost' RedSparrows.

I'm not so fussed, actually - I had wasted a lot of certs and was only BR 13.

Plus, an extra 4GB of RAM has made an astounding difference to performance. Now all I need is to sort these crashes (might get a discrete GPU).
  • orpheus 19 Jun 2013 19:51:32 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, right ok. Steam customers go through ProSiebenSat, some awful German gaming company with a terrible reputation. If you were in beta you can download straight from the PS2 website & sign up with SOE, avoiding the awful middleman.

BR13's a breeze to make up, you'll do that in a few days easy, shame to lose the name tho :( I'll sort invites etc when I get on tonight.

RAM will help quite a bit with the graphical side of things, but the main hog is the CPU, not the GPU. I run an i5 3750 @ 4.2 and a 1.3 gig GTX 570, and I still drop to 30 in some of the really massive fights, simply because there's so much positional data being calculated.

Ditto the crashes. I've been having two or three a night since the last game update, almost everyone in the outfit is having them. There's a good chance it's not anything you can fix, just some bug in the code somewhere that they missed. It shouldn't be locking up your PC, but given that it's a low-end system running a very memory/cpu intensive game, it could just be that the crashes are the same as everyone else is getting, and the locking is just an old pc struggling to keep up.

Tl;dr it's probably not your fault :D Don't break a sweat over the crashes unless they're completely freezing your system. GU11 comes out in a day or so and then it'll all be different again! :)
  • RedSparrows 19 Jun 2013 20:14:31 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I know it's intensive - I don't mind drops when it's 48+ vs 48+ in a Biolab/Techlab thing.

I think the crashes are probably the normal crashes, made worse as my PC is pushing hard to cope. I'll see what the patch does. A discrete GPU would help all the same.
  • TheRealBadabing 19 Jun 2013 21:49:28 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You might have some luck getting your old character back if you can download the launcher from SOE. Shouldn't have to change anything else as the rest of the install will be the same.
  • RedSparrows 20 Jun 2013 02:31:42 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah, not fussed - already BR 8 and with a much better (but still awful), KD!

Not only has a mere 4GB stick of RAM improved my game, it's stopped all crashes. That or my cleaning of the case worked wonders...
  • orpheus 20 Jun 2013 03:40:56 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's great news dude \o/
  • Errol 23 Jun 2013 14:17:37 12,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still playing this as my main game.

Errol - Vanu, Woodman

maxkeiser - NC, Miller

Welcome to join me!
  • RedSparrows 23 Jun 2013 18:44:10 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thoroughly enjoying almost everything in this game...

...except the population imbalance. It's absolutely ridiculous.
  • orpheus 23 Jun 2013 19:53:08 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Thoroughly enjoying almost everything in this game...

...except the population imbalance. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah the TR situation is a little over the top, hopefully the recommended server will go some way to balancing out the populations.

It's not even like you can go fight NC instead - half the time they're doing something absolutely retarded miles away from the VS front lines. NC on Miller really do seem to make the most illogical tactical decisions I've ever seen. Maybe Errol can shed some light on how the NCTO operate, cause I've seen them throw away Alerts and all sorts of other bizarre stuff. With TR & TRAM you can predict what they're likely to do because there's some sense behind their tactics, but NC just seem to go bugfuck occasionally!
  • RedSparrows 23 Jun 2013 19:56:18 23,306 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Best was on Friday night.

Alert: Esamir Domination

TR started on 74%

Next alerr: Esamir Biolabs

TR got all 3 within 45 minutes.

I don't mind the odd broken alert, I do mind being absolutely clusterfucked by TR zergs and there being no way to counter it due to simply *not having enough people*.
  • Duffking 23 Jun 2013 23:25:52 7,352 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Oh, right ok. Steam customers go through ProSiebenSat, some awful German gaming company with a terrible reputation. If you were in beta you can download straight from the PS2 website & sign up with SOE, avoiding the awful middleman.

BR13's a breeze to make up, you'll do that in a few days easy, shame to lose the name tho :( I'll sort invites etc when I get on tonight.

RAM will help quite a bit with the graphical side of things, but the main hog is the CPU, not the GPU. I run an i5 3750 @ 4.2 and a 1.3 gig GTX 570, and I still drop to 30 in some of the really massive fights, simply because there's so much positional data being calculated.

Ditto the crashes. I've been having two or three a night since the last game update, almost everyone in the outfit is having them. There's a good chance it's not anything you can fix, just some bug in the code somewhere that they missed. It shouldn't be locking up your PC, but given that it's a low-end system running a very memory/cpu intensive game, it could just be that the crashes are the same as everyone else is getting, and the locking is just an old pc struggling to keep up.

Tl;dr it's probably not your fault :D Don't break a sweat over the crashes unless they're completely freezing your system. GU11 comes out in a day or so and then it'll all be different again! :)
    I'm on Steam and I'm using an SOE account. He may have had a PS7 account before and now has a SOE one. His gain, really.

Edited by DUFFKING at 23:26:19 23-06-2013
  • orpheus 24 Jun 2013 00:44:01 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Duff yeah you're probably right ;)

Just want to apologise to the few UBADs that use these forums for the general loss of morale lately. The TR overpop is killing Miller, and the 'recommended server' just seems to be magnifying the problem. Suppose it's no surprise to find that new players flock to the obviously winning side, but that doesn't make it right.

Some of our guys are getting frustrated. I don't blame them. Short of jumping ship when server transfer tokens finally arrive, there's not much I can do about it except to try to buck up everyone else's morale, even when I don't feel terribly positive myself. I try to do this whenever possible, but tonight got the better of me for the first time in ages.

So yeah. Sorry for jumping ship while there was still a squad (of sorts) running. I'll look at focusing us on the NC over the rest of the week (regardless of alerts, unless they're single-continent) to see if it'll raise the mood a little. :)
  • TheRealBadabing 24 Jun 2013 01:14:36 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It doesn't help that TR have some of the best weapons too.

Striker and the Vulcan are everywhere these days: two very effective AV weapons that are also great at AA. Combined with the bursters and skyguards that everyone else has they gain a huge advantage in anti-air coverage. Simply put, no one in their right mind goes anywhere near a TR zerg in an aircraft, so they have air superiority by default.

On the plus side, it does make their ESF pilots very cocky and so easy targets for my skyguard.
  • orpheus 24 Jun 2013 01:40:28 1,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, there's a reason the game is becoming TRSide. Fractures have been overpowered as fuck for months now, the Vulcan got buffed to ludicrous levels and the Striker ruins air gameplay completely for both other factions.

I hate that it ruins our gameplay, but I try to keep the outfit morale positive whenever possible. Sadly though, sometimes I let it get to me as well, and I shouldn't. I'll take steps to try to improve things for us over the coming week.
  • binky Moderator 24 Jun 2013 10:20:05 9,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm it kinda sucks to read your experience with player numbers. Back in the PS1 days I was part of the TR and often felt outnumbered, but never to the degree where I felt out diminished the game.

Are there things in place to at least try and appease situations like this?
  • Bleh 24 Jun 2013 10:29:06 245 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One way could be to make a lock on creating new TR chars on servers which have a huge imbalance but I guess that would be an other extreme.
  • Page

of 64 First / Last