Steam's BIG PICTURE UI out today Page 2

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

  • Armoured_Bear 10 Sep 2012 20:38:19 10,977 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Great timing for my imminent PC Build :-)

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • Whizzo 11 Sep 2012 01:14:04 43,115 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm this is rather nice, not sure I'll use it that much as even though I've got an HDTV connected to my PC that's for watching stuff rather than gaming on as it's just an old 720P telly.

    Pressing the guide button on my wired 360 controller while I'm on my desktop and having BPM load up is an good way of getting into it too. No need for keyboard or mouse.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • Khanivor 11 Sep 2012 02:57:55 40,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If there's a setting to automatically open the Steam in the screen assigned by Windows to my telly then this would be full of win. Otherwise it still requires me sitting in front of the PC to get going. Which means my lazy ass will not be smitten.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 03:24:44
    It's very cool indeed but I'd like a 1360x768 screen resolution option. Apart from that it shows up just how awful the 360 dash is.

    NO ADS MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 03:39:53
    oi wrote:
    It's very cool indeed but I'd like a 1360x768 screen resolution option. Apart from that it shows up just how awful the 360 dash is.

    NO ADS MOTHERFUCKERS
    Add the parameter -fulldesktopres to the Steam shortcut.

    Also, -tenfoot will start Steam in Big Picture mode.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 03:42:47
    righty-o ta!
  • byron_hinson 11 Sep 2012 06:06:38 1,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks great - though crashes within 30 seconds on windows 8 right now!
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 08:41:54
    Me too, although I've not installed RTM yet.
  • mikew1985 11 Sep 2012 08:53:45 12,735 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quite nice alright, makes navigation very simple and really makes you think that some sort of dedicated team box has to be on the way. It's better than any of the currrent console UIs.

    More intuitive, more functional and less cluttered.
  • bad09 11 Sep 2012 08:55:10 5,893 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait how come you guys have it? Had a quick look at Steam this morning and I got nothing and Steam is up to date apparently.
  • monkehhh 11 Sep 2012 09:06:22 3,312 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Try opting in to the beta and restarting?
  • bad09 11 Sep 2012 09:15:32 5,893 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never mind, my custom skin hid it, damn stuck back on vanilla grey steam for now. :(

    So had a look, ironically on the desktop monitor not the telly :) It's slow for sure right now but once the problems are ironed out this certainly will be handy and it's very well designed.

    Edited by bad09 at 09:16:18 11-09-2012
  • L0cky 11 Sep 2012 09:15:57 1,528 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steam Menu -> Settings -> Beta Participation -> CHANGE...
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 10:05:51
    Are we that starved for games we're getting excited over soime menus?
  • Benno 11 Sep 2012 10:17:01 9,883 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glol
  • Benno 11 Sep 2012 10:20:04 9,883 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How many steam games actually have native support the 360 controller though? Do i launch steam at my desk, sit on my bed and navigate the menus with my controller and then go back to my desk to play games? Gabe what you smokin' brah!

    I bet it makes the xbox dashboard look like absolute sloth shit though, every time i have to navigate that ad fest I die a little more inside
  • Whizzo 11 Sep 2012 10:21:41 43,115 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Big picture mode helps emphasise how many games you've got on Steam that you've bought but not played.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Sep 2012 10:31:40 35,551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Benno Pretty much every game of the last few years where you would consider using a pad at all will have native 360 pad support. There's the odd exception, of course, but I can' even think of one right now.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 10:32:54
    Apparently we are excited.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Sep 2012 10:36:01 35,551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @efebayor Well, you do sound pretty excited about people talking about this, at least.
  • Whizzo 11 Sep 2012 10:37:32 43,115 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saints Row the Third certainly fully supports the 360 pad, however the first thing it does when you launch it is bring up a menu that you have to click on to say what version of DirectX you want to use, not quite BPM friendly that!

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • bad09 11 Sep 2012 10:41:24 5,893 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    How many steam games actually have native support the 360 controller though? Do i launch steam at my desk, sit on my bed and navigate the menus with my controller and then go back to my desk to play games? Gabe what you smokin' brah!

    I bet it makes the xbox dashboard look like absolute sloth shit though, every time i have to navigate that ad fest I die a little more inside
    Obviously if the game itself has no pad support you would not be sitting at the sofa to play it so BP mode would be useless. Why would you think otherwise!

    As Lou says thugh most games now have pad support and in multiplatform it's down to a small number of games you can actually name that don't, 17 of my currently 31 installed games (some Steam some non-steam added) have full pad support and others use a mapper with will kick when launched. Plenty to keep me on my arse until I need the K&M :)
  • Deleted user 11 September 2012 10:43:46
    Just reflecting the high levels of excitement for menus.
  • bad09 11 Sep 2012 10:43:48 5,893 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Saints Row the Third certainly fully supports the 360 pad, however the first thing it does when you launch it is bring up a menu that you have to click on to say what version of DirectX you want to use, not quite BPM friendly that!
    Haha, hadn't tried to launch anything but just tried Skyrim and still need the mouse for the launcher. Doh! Suddenly BP mode does seem useless :)
  • mikew1985 11 Sep 2012 11:31:26 12,735 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    efebayor wrote:
    Just reflecting the high levels of excitement for menus.
    I don't really see why you're in this thread?

    It's not like we're all in here saying it's the best thing ever.
    It's a nice added feature to have and makes steam infinitely more useable with controller in hand. How can that be construed as a bad thing?
  • mikew1985 11 Sep 2012 11:34:23 12,735 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Saints Row the Third certainly fully supports the 360 pad, however the first thing it does when you launch it is bring up a menu that you have to click on to say what version of DirectX you want to use, not quite BPM friendly that!
    Haha, hadn't tried to launch anything but just tried Skyrim and still need the mouse for the launcher. Doh! Suddenly BP mode does seem useless :)
    Heh, thats true. I'd imagine publishers will be releasing more BP compatible games going forward. A lot of games don't have any issues too, Darksiders and Sleeping dogs work perfectly.
  • Buztafen 11 Sep 2012 11:51:43 16,226 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking forward to giving this a go tonight actually, the combo of using mouse and pad for games hasn't bothered me before, but anything to help get rid of that stupid 'inaccurate' mouse is a plus in my eyes. :-P
  • byron_hinson 11 Sep 2012 12:06:53 1,512 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Me too, although I've not installed RTM yet.


    Its the same on the rtm currently
  • bad09 11 Sep 2012 12:44:12 5,893 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Heh, thats true. I'd imagine publishers will be releasing more BP compatible games going forward. A lot of games don't have any issues too, Darksiders and Sleeping dogs work perfectly.
    Yeah, still funny though. Browser is surprisingly good though, that'll be handy for the net breaks on the sofa 100% if the tablet isn't nearby.
  • Benno 11 Sep 2012 13:14:15 9,883 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Heh, thats true. I'd imagine publishers will be releasing more BP compatible games going forward. A lot of games don't have any issues too, Darksiders and Sleeping dogs work perfectly.
    Yeah, still funny though. Browser is surprisingly good though, that'll be handy for the net breaks on the sofa 100% if the tablet isn't nearby.
    hehe

    Edited by Benno at 13:14:28 11-09-2012

    Edited by Benno at 13:14:57 11-09-2012
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

Log in or register to reply