Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Page 3

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• SomaticSense 28 Jan 2014 13:20:14 7,048 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Steve_Perry

That's good to hear. D/led via the 360's offers the other week. For all it's problems and general lack of traditional FF style absorbing awesomeness, FFXIII had an ok battle system and satisfying character levelling. Never finished it due to that unfair cuntfuck of a final boss though, so I hope the original's ending isn't hugely important.

Will have a crack at it once I'm done with Ni No Kuni and the impeccable Persona 4 Golden. JRPG overload!

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:22:31 28-01-2014

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:24:12 28-01-2014
  • Steve_Perry 28 Jan 2014 13:28:40 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's actually fairly traditional. There are tons of quests, lots of exploration and it's really addictive. I could easily have stopped FF13 at any point. I don't think I've been this consumed by a FF game since 9. I loved the gran pulse part of 13 and 13-2 is pretty much like that but made even better.

Negs: Bland music, crap dialogue and characters (which every FF game has had since 10 imo, with a few exceptions in 12), no sense of geography and lore in what is a beautiful looking world in that, it doesn't all seem to join up. The visuals really are stunning in places. Monster models are a bit limited and the designs are the same as 13 which I found a little bland.

The amount of freedom you get is actually a bit overwhelming but I shouldn't complain as I was one of the massive moaners who put the boot into 13s linearity. All in all, very good and well worth the sale price. I really hope 13-3 is as good if not better.

Just seen your edit. Don't worry about not finishing 13 at all. The story in that made no sense really, and it doesn't here. You can replay the story from 13 in the main menu in 13-2 so that should help you fill in the blanks if you feel the need.

Edited by Steve_Perry at 13:31:27 28-01-2014

VIVA STEFANSEN

• chrisno21 28 Jan 2014 19:03:14 1,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The story's are mental, but there was something great about 13-2 that I really enjoyed. It's mainly because that looked gash before I tried it that I've ordered this one. I enjoy a bit of random plot and crazy cgi that sqenix do so well.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Ror1984 28 Jan 2014 19:29:11 2,100 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I recently ran through XIII-2 again in advance of the release of LR and absolutely loved it the second time. It's a pretty bloody deep game, and there's a fair amount to do. Also, the story is a mess, but it can basically be boiled down to 'man snaps after seeing someone he cares about suffer, vows to tear down the world to end her pain'.

What is a shame is how hidden the underlying Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology is in these games, because there's some pretty interesting stuff in there.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• StarchildHypocrethes 28 Jan 2014 20:36:02 24,573 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love a good FF game, but the time limit aspect in this has completely killed my interest. Lame.
  • Steve_Perry 28 Jan 2014 20:41:33 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think it got a fairly average review from Famitsulol which means its probably more like 13 quality than 13-2.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Ror1984 28 Jan 2014 22:17:40 2,100 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm looking forward to LR. I expect it will be pretty messy in a lot of areas (and more than a little incoherent in terms of story), but I'm excited because it looks like they're experimenting a fair bit, and that's what spin-offs are usually about in this series (DoC being a TPS, CC being an ARPG, Revenant Wings an SRPG etc...).

XV should be interesting, given that it's a spin-off that's been moved up to full-on numbered entry. But then IX was originally supposed to be a gaiden title and that was excellent.

• Steve_Perry 29 Jan 2014 15:09:41 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is awesome.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• ZuluHero 29 Jan 2014 15:23:06 3,667 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played the demo last night - there seemed to be a lot of back story going on between the characters that might seem important.

I quite enjoyed it, but I don't really have the time to play the 2 previous games and i have a low tolerance for stuff when i don't understand what is going on :(
  • xuiton 30 Jan 2014 15:16:57 286 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ZuluHero apparently the game has literally nothing to do with the previous ones in terms of story, just same characters and it is set 500 years in the future.
  • santashi 30 Jan 2014 15:27:11 4,937 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    This is awesome.
    I liked that! I had more fun for a lot of it than I did actually playing the games, weirdly.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Steve_Perry 30 Jan 2014 15:37:42 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I think that few minutes of retro joy gave me more pleasure than the whole of FF13 at least.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• shirotsku 30 Jan 2014 18:16:45 1 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've played FFXIII and FFXIII-2 on my 360, but I'd quite like to play Lightning Returns on my PS3. Does anyone know if there is an achievement or any other benefit for having played the previous two games that would make me want to play on 360?
  • chrisno21 3 Feb 2014 16:00:08 1,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mini Guide details some of the gameplay elements that may be of interest to people who want to know more, like how levelling works (or doesn't) and how time works when there is a limit.

Edited by chrisno21 at 16:01:27 03-02-2014

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• elvenscroll 3 Feb 2014 22:52:03 1,344 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shirotsku wrote:
    I've played FFXIII and FFXIII-2 on my 360, but I'd quite like to play Lightning Returns on my PS3. Does anyone know if there is an achievement or any other benefit for having played the previous two games that would make me want to play on 360?
    I believe you unlock a couple of costumes if the game detects a save from the previous titles.

This is £29.95 to preorder from the game collection at the moment. Seems reasonable.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Zackv4861 4 Feb 2014 13:15:56 1,066 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At Zavvi you can preorder FFXVIII according to their latest email.

Edited by Zackv4861 at 18:14:23 04-02-2014
  • Zackv4861 4 Feb 2014 13:15:58 1,066 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    double post

Edited by Zackv4861 at 18:15:15 04-02-2014
  • karlo87 4 Feb 2014 17:12:11 602 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The making of feature on gameinformer ALMOST made me pre-order, almost.
    Pretty decent watch.

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• Ror1984 5 Feb 2014 15:20:48 2,100 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Edited by Ror1984 at 15:21:06 05-02-2014

• FanBoysSuck 5 Feb 2014 16:49:28 1,385 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    I recently ran through XIII-2 again in advance of the release of LR and absolutely loved it the second time. It's a pretty bloody deep game, and there's a fair amount to do. Also, the story is a mess, but it can basically be boiled down to 'man snaps after seeing someone he cares about suffer, vows to tear down the world to end her pain'.

What is a shame is how hidden the underlying Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology is in these games, because there's some pretty interesting stuff in there.
    I was kind of getting tempted by Lightning Returns until that wiki reminded me how god awful the story was :eek:

The time mechanic sounds quite interesting though, as does the combat.

For the emperor!

• Ror1984 5 Feb 2014 17:26:25 2,100 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The story of XIII-2 itself, or the mythology (loosely) holding it all together? I think the mythology is a pretty decent foundation, but they haven't really exposed much of it in the games so far.

I'm still quite interested. They do look to be experimenting a bit at least, and it looks like they're taking some cues from FFXIV - the Wildlands immediately makes me think of La Noscea, XP is handed out for quest completion rather than battle (XIV does give you XP for battle, but the big payouts are in the quests), and the depth of customisation seems more MMO-like than any offline FF.

At the very least, it'll be interesting.

• GiarcYekrub 10 Feb 2014 11:19:54 3,583 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm looking forward to this, Just got FF XIII-2 for Xmas so have played though XIII(after buying it myself) and XIII-2 back to back and just completed the later over the weekend, thankfully I don't have to wait long for the next chapter.

I've got to say I'm not really quite sure I understand the story, and some people say Doctor Who is complicated, this takes complicated to another level.
  • Steve_Perry 10 Feb 2014 11:25:03 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't think the mythology is that good either to be honest. Something something crystals seems to be the crux of it. If there is any more to it than that I have yet to find it in any of the games.

Looking forward to 13-3. Just finished 13-2 apart from 2 fragments. I might have been over-levelled but I've found every single enemy to be a walkover. All of the bosses, all of the DLC ones are easy and the 4 'hunts' in the steppe were little trouble. I don't even have any decent levelled up monsters so I'm not sure what the point in those things is.

I would kill for a bastard hard 'Weapon' boss. As it stands there is no point in me levelling up monsters (which I would like to do) as there is nothing worthy to fight with them.

Anyway. Any reviews of this yet?

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Cappy 10 Feb 2014 12:37:07 11,706 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The demo is certainly a surprise.

They've gone full circle back to the days of the PS1 and a rich, vibrant World that you don't play within, existing only in pre-rendered cutscenes. Versus a sparse, empty World that you inhabit, somehow reminiscent of the PS2 GTA games.

Something about the bland, fuzzy textures on low poly blocks just makes me think Vice City.

If only Advent Children had never happened, it's toxic residue coats yet another Final Fantasy game, they really, really want battles to look they're from a highly suspect duffer of a CG film. So you've got non-interactive parts which feature Super Lightning, able to crush enemies with a single blow whilst engaging in vacuous, pointless feats of acrobatics, desperate to impress us.

The contrast against the game you actually play is so unflattering, I had to slowly chip away at enemy health bars in yet another streamlined battle system that's only concerned with how things look, some fights go on forever and all I can do is a lame floaty jump which can get me over crates.

The costume switching is an awful, self indulgent affectation that wastes system resources for absolutely nothing, I just want to cast Blizzaga, I don't care if the onscreen character is temporarily wearing a mage outfit or not. Because you can't have loading between switches those useless costume changes are soaking up the resources that would have been occupied by a party of three. Those resources could have been used for something, such as less lousy graphics.

With the camera sweeping and jerking around it's not like I can stop and look anyway. The restless camera speaks of the underlying poor design, shallow, 'stylistic' flourishes are applied with no concern for the hapless player. How enjoyable it was to get poleaxed by an enemy when I should have been guarding but the camera was off on one on one of it's little excursions being rather excited by the Blizzaga I had cast, rather than showing me the visual information I needed, such as an enemy preparing to attack.

Nothing feels right, the camera, the way Lightning moves, it always feels like too much effort shepherding the camera, it's like we've gone back a decade and a half, circa 2000 the Dualshock is now standard and developers are trying to use the analogue sticks but can't quite get it right first time.

The level design is appalling too, because battles load into a separate 'World' and levels look much the same with lots of corridor and no landmarks, when you come back out of the battle it's entirely possible to double back on yourself and think you're still going forward.

You're definitely not playing this for the story, and the gameplay itself is shonky. What's left? A lightning dress up doll game? If only we'd all clubbed together and put a few Pounds in after Final Fantasy XIII was released, we could have bought Toriyama a custom Lightning RealDoll and this series could have been avoided. With Toriyama busy servicing his doll, no matter what happened next we'd have likely got a better game that had nothing to do with Final Fantasy XIII.

There are Idea Factory games I'd play rather than this.
  • uiruki 10 Feb 2014 12:55:19 3,531 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Went back to this yesterday, completed the first "main quest" of five after starting again. It turned out I had gone off to the wrong area after being guides towards said area by the voice overs.

It still feels really unfocused and slapdash. Super strong enemies will come out of nowhere after you batter some fodder (literally - enemies spawn in right in front of you all the time) and while those battles can be satisfying in that "learning a pattern and dealing with it" way, it is pretty frustrating given the way healing works.

The worst part, though, is the lack of evade. There are so many attacks which I could just get out of the way from if they would let me, and it's just a piss take given the way Lightning zips around in the opening cutscene.

I really liked FF13 and 13-2 but I'm not sure if I will get to the end of this. It is fun in spots, especially as you master the timing aspect of battles, but Lightning and Hope aren't interesting enough when their dialogue isn't being constantly fucking interrupted (enter a menu or the map or a battle and the current phrase is skipped and the subtitle log gets cleared too) and the areas just feel higgledy-piggeldy like a low budget PS2 game. With 12 days until the next Ryu ga Gotoku game, I'd rather just wait for that when it comes to a "running around a town" adventure.

Actually, on that note, has anyone else seen the latest Japanese PSN trailer for that? It looks amazing!
  • GiarcYekrub 10 Feb 2014 12:59:58 3,583 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am playing for the story, kinda hoping XIII-3 makes everything make sense
  • ozthegweat 11 Feb 2014 08:49:10 67 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    IGN gave it a 7/10. Any other reviews out yet?
  • Steve_Perry 11 Feb 2014 10:13:34 2,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "It wisely throws away the battle system.. of the previous games"

IGNlol.

I stopped reading at that. I expect 7/10 to be about right for this game but that statement is bollocks.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• CosmicFuzz 11 Feb 2014 10:53:57 21,246 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I know that's what I thought too. The battle system was pretty much the only good thing about XIII.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• Page

of 9 First / Last