Film - Remakes Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 1 Sep 2012 20:07:52 6,654 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I enjoyed it tbh. Guessing Finchers is the Swedish original. Watched the other two in the trilogy and didn't think either were as strong for the record.
  • GuiltySpark 1 Sep 2012 20:20:34 6,324 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not remakes that are bad, it's the people making them. Especially contemporary horror remakes, they're nearly always awful.

The idea of a remake is sound (remaking something using modern filmmaking techniques, thereby realising the original vision) but the lack of effort going into some of them is completely awful.

Get bent.

• Bremenacht 1 Sep 2012 21:21:34 17,614 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Here's a worthwhile remake: Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The original movie is wonky, low-budget, and made for TV. The remake is one with real visual flair, a lovely soundtrack, and has a great opening credit sequence.
    I thought the original was excellent. I'd say the new one barely counts as a remake, given how it follows the template of the original. Unlike 'Let Me In', which has notable differences from the original.
  • monkehhh 1 Sep 2012 21:27:15 3,273 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really liked the Swedish Girl With.., to the point where it felt like Fincher's was unnecessary - he did a cracking job with it, but I felt a bit empty after seeing it as I think I was expecting more.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2012 21:59:51
    What bugs me most about remakes is people talking about them like it's some new trend, when it's been constant and consistent since the dawn of cinema. Plus, where do you draw the line? Is Magnificent Seven just a remake of Seven Samurai? Star Wars a remake of both? Indiana Jones just a copy of Allan Quatermain? And it gets even more confusing when it comes to adaptations. Is I Am Legend a remake of Omega Man, Last Man on Earth, or an adaptation of the book?

Edited by meme at 22:04:00 01-09-2012
  • Whizzo 1 Sep 2012 22:02:47 43,038 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone who could think "I Am Legend" is anything close to an adaptation of the book hasn't read it.

It would be very nice if someone actually did do a proper version at some point.

Edited by Whizzo at 22:05:53 01-09-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 2 September 2012 07:54:44
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) 9/10

Gene Wilder is excellent. The Oompa Loompa songs are genius. The whole film is a joy to watch. Charlie and his family are well played.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) 5/10

I couldnít help but compare it to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory while watching this. The Oompa Loompa songs arenít as good as those from 1971. Johnny Depp is good, but not as good as Gene Wilder. The film is Tim Burton sinister. Iím not sure it needed that.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2012 07:56:07
    Bremenacht wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Here's a worthwhile remake: Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The original movie is wonky, low-budget, and made for TV. The remake is one with real visual flair, a lovely soundtrack, and has a great opening credit sequence.
    I thought the original was excellent. I'd say the new one barely counts as a remake, given how it follows the template of the original. Unlike 'Let Me In', which has notable differences from the original.
    I liked the original. Do I need to see the remake ?
  • drhcnip 2 Sep 2012 08:22:27 2,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Anyone who could think "I Am Legend" is anything close to an adaptation of the book hasn't read it.

It would be very nice if someone actually did do a proper version at some point.
    this - would love a more faithful adaptation of the book...
  • nickthegun 2 Sep 2012 08:22:59 58,885 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blacksea wrote:

Gene Wilder is excellent. The Oompa Loompa songs are genius. The whole film is a joy to watch. Charlie and his family are well played.

I couldnít help but compare it to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory while watching this. The Oompa Loompa songs arenít as good as those from 1971. Johnny Depp is good, but not as good as Gene Wilder. The film is Tim Burton sinister. Iím not sure it needed that.
    Again, not a great example. Dahl hated the original because it strayed too far from the book. The new one was licensed strictly on the grounds that the dahls retained some measure of creative control. So, again, it's another adaptation rather than a remake.

Whether the world wanted or needed it is a different question. (no)

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Bremenacht 2 Sep 2012 15:06:31 17,614 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    I liked the original. Do I need to see the remake ?
    I don't think so. Whichever one you watch first will make the greater impression.
  • oceanmotion 2 Sep 2012 16:13:57 15,665 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jack Ryan is back with Costner and Miss Pouty Face.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2012 20:20:57
    nickthegun wrote:
    blacksea wrote:

Again, not a great example. Dahl hated the original because it strayed too far from the book. The new one was licensed strictly on the grounds that the dahls retained some measure of creative control. So, again, it's another adaptation rather than a remake.

It is a fine example. Two films based on the same thing. I have not read the book, which is why I watched both films. I don't watch films to see how close they are to the book on which they are based. I watch films and take them for what they are. The 1971 film works more for me than the somewhat dull 2005 film.
  • WrongShui 7 Sep 2012 21:04:27 6,601 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:

this - would love a more faithful adaptation of the book...
    Last Man on Earth is fairly faithful. Also Vincent Price is the bomb.
  • drhcnip 7 Sep 2012 21:12:01 2,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    he is indeed - great film that
  • Deleted user 7 September 2012 21:27:31
    blacksea wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    blacksea wrote:

It is a fine example. Two films based on the same thing. I have not read the book, which is why I watched both films. I don't watch films to see how close they are to the book on which they are based. I watch films and take them for what they are. The 1971 film works more for me than the somewhat dull 2005 film.
    It is not. One is not a remake of the other.

Based on your theory Gnomeo and Juliet is a remake of West Side Story.
  • Deleted user 10 September 2012 20:55:13
    Aargh. wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    blacksea wrote:

It is not. One is not a remake of the other.

Based on your theory Gnomeo and Juliet is a remake of West Side Story.

2x Wonka films. One I like, the other I don't like. That's all there is to it. End of.
  • Deleted user 10 September 2012 21:02:37
    You don't seem to understand your own thread.
  • kosigan 10 Sep 2012 22:38:40 460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mike1980 - because bad films didn't make money the first time, so the studio's not going to make another version of a film that didn't make a profit before. They want as close to a sure thing as possible, hence all the remakes - they'are a business and businesses exist to make money. Entertainment comes a very distant second to that.
  • beastmaster 25 Sep 2012 18:43:02 11,191 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Len Wiseman to remake The Mummy films. They will be scary. Yeah, right!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ronuds 25 Sep 2012 18:49:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems more like a reboot than a remake.

Stupid either way, though.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2012 19:18:09
    The original's been remade, rebooted and reimagined so many times it's not really worth assigning any label to it.
  • ronuds 25 Sep 2012 19:42:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nobody's remade the reboot yet. I don't know if there's a special word for that.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Sep 2012 18:16:14 22,342 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Reebootimagiquel.

Beautiful tender beings.

• RobTheBuilder 26 Sep 2012 18:21:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The fashion of re-booting and remaking is annoying, but I'd much rather that than the 'directors cut', 'extended directors cut', 'directors reimagining', 'extended directors wankathon' that happened with a few films in the past decade.
  • beastmaster 26 Sep 2012 18:24:35 11,191 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ghostbusters 3 to be a remake?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• rossmccoll 26 Sep 2012 18:32:29 15 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't like bad film.
    I like good films.

I don't care if they are remakes, reboots, sequels or prequels. Judge them each on their own merit.

Look at Batman and The Dark Knight.
  • MadCaddy13 26 Sep 2012 19:02:06 1,858 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did enjoy the shot for shot remake if Psycho with the then pretty unknown vince Vaughan.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2012 18:19:51
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Scares the hell out of me, but how does the remake compare ?
  • Derblington 7 Oct 2012 18:34:00 21,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite like the remake. Not great, not terrible but it works.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last