Lord of the Rings Lego

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Help_me 30 Aug 2012 22:54:09 940 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All talk LOTR Lego.

First question; anyone know which port it will be from?
  • aros 28 May 2013 11:35:08 2,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really enjoying this game after my girlfriend bought it for me over the weekend.

I went in with pretty low expectations regarding resolution/graphics/quality etc but have definitely been pleasantly surprised by all aspects. It's really fun and I will definitely complete it and have ordered Lego Batman too.

There are of course some disappointing aspects such as number of enemies at a time but as a fun game with simple puzzles and combat it's a fun way to pass the time.

I have never played a Lego game before so am not comparing it to console titles or any other releases but if you are a fan of Lego and Lord of the Rings (being a fan of LOTR is vital) I would definitely recommend the game.

Lord of the Rings as Lego is the best bit and the game makes me smile a lot! I might even go for the platinum as it seems achievable.

I'm really excited for Chima and Marvel Super Heroes now as a Lego game built for Vita rather than DS will undoubtedly fill me with joy.

What are you guys' thoughts on the game?

I would say it's probably worth about a 7 but if you are a fan of the two worlds and haven't played a Lego game before it's well worth the 20 the game is currently selling for in GAME.
  • Roddy100 28 May 2013 23:14:38 750 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't mean to be negative but I'm not impressed with the Lego games on Vita. They just feel like a pale shadow of their big console counterparts. The big console versions are insanely fun if you have a partner/friend to play through them with.

My wife and I have been co-opping on the Lego games for years now. The Star Wars/Batman and Indiana Jones games on PS2 and more recently Lego Pirates of the Caribbean on PS3. Once we finish that 100% we'll probably pick up Lord of the Rings or Lego Batman 2.

I'm sure there is fun to be had on the Vita versions but they are an entirely watered-down experience which is a bit disappointing IMO.
  • dsmx 29 May 2013 00:50:39 7,563 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it's even more tragic when you realise that the console versions aren't exactly pushing the systems and they still feel the need to water them down, but I guess they are porting the 3DS version which is tragic as the vita is capable of so much more.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Murbal 29 May 2013 08:26:59 21,928 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LEGO Star Wars on PSP was a real high point. That game was awesome. It wasn't just a port of the DS game either :-)
  • aros 29 May 2013 10:36:46 2,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As I said I haven't played any of the console ones - I'm enjoying LOTR though, it's fun for what it is, an easy and simple game to relax and smile with. There are a lot of problems which hopefully the new games will sort out - Chima seems to be being developed on Vita then downgraded to 3DS so hopefully Lego Marvel will be too.
  • santashi 29 May 2013 10:42:59 5,052 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lego Harry Potter on the Vita is the only Lego videogame I've played, and I was seriously disappointed by it. But let's not spoil my positivity again. :p

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• aros 29 May 2013 11:14:05 2,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never been tempted by Harry Potter as I've never read the books and only seen one film. Were you a fan Santashi?
  • santashi 29 May 2013 11:16:54 5,052 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    aros wrote:
    I've never been tempted by Harry Potter as I've never read the books and only seen one film. Were you a fan Santashi?
    I think it would be zero fun for you in that case. I'd read all the books and seen all the films and I'd still not even give the game half marks.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Deleted user 6 August 2013 00:23:29
    Just me who feels that this game feels broken? Admittedly I only played the first couple of levels but the controls just felt incredibly imprecise and flakey...think I can quite happily free up some memory card space by deleting it. What's going in with the sound as well, sounds like it was knocked and added as an after thought. The game does look nice but just not feeling it with those clunky controls.
  • Sharzam 6 Aug 2013 07:45:39 2,721 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What gets me is the audio quality, it's frankly terrible. Maybe due to size constraints, but it is such low quality which isn't so bad for the music but the speech and sound effects are so off. I would be curious to know how much space they take up on the ps3 version with the 'unlimited' blu ray capacity.

I can see why the reviews slammed the vita version when they clearly didn't put in any effort, on the 3ds with its low resolution and power it might fit but not here. If only they ported the ps3 version.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• nickthegun 6 Aug 2013 08:00:24 58,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, its terrible. The levels are rubbish, the graphics are rubbish, the sound is rubbish and it generally has none of the charm of any of the other games.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Murbal 6 Aug 2013 08:24:51 21,928 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I won't bother downloading then! Shame really; I fancy a LEGO game and would probably only play them on a handheld.
  • nickthegun 6 Aug 2013 08:33:56 58,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its, basically, a straight port of the 3DS version, so the graphics are horribly low res and the sound is so compressed it actually sounds like a joke.

The levels are tiny, the controls are shit and the camera doesnt work properly. Its genuinely the worst game ive played in years.

He totally called it

• Murbal 6 Aug 2013 08:36:39 21,928 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yikes!

Not to worry, it's not like I'm short of stuff to play.
  • Chopsen 6 Aug 2013 09:21:25 15,727 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It kept Mrs Chopsen quiet during a long flight.
  • Flying_Pig 6 Aug 2013 09:22:11 10,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still gonna give it a go (eventually), but I'd love a propert big-console port, rather than one from the 3DS...
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Aug 2013 10:27:10 14,423 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its, basically, a straight port of the 3DS version, so the graphics are horribly low res and the sound is so compressed it actually sounds like a joke.

The levels are tiny, the controls are shit and the camera doesnt work properly. Its genuinely the worst game ive played in years.
    Why and I'm sure this is a stupid question, but why can't the Vito* version be 99% like the ps3/360 one, I assumed it would be able to run fine.

*vita not vito ;) unless it has Mafia connections

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 10:32:41 06-08-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• ZuluHero 6 Aug 2013 10:30:34 4,023 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Horrible port..after loving the ps3 game so much I was hoping for a similar game. This really does the vita an injustice.
  • Flying_Pig 6 Aug 2013 12:50:44 10,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 - Developer laziness (IMO). The Vita definitely could handle a paired down PS3 version (see Stranger's Wrath or NFS: Most Wanted for proof).

Such a shame, as I'll never play a Lego game on the big console, but would like (a proper) one on the Vita.
  • infoxicated 6 Aug 2013 17:31:56 1,072 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My daughter gave this a go at the weekend, but gave up after a short while and spent ages on When Vikings Attack instead.

If you can't make a Lego game that enthrals a 7.5 year old, you're doing it wrong. :-\
  • neilka 6 Aug 2013 17:36:53 15,668 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should have bought it off Steam for 4.99 last month.

YOU FOOLS.
  • ZuluHero 6 Aug 2013 18:14:54 4,023 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:

YOU FOOLS.
    ok just spent 20 quid on it on steam, how do i get it from steam onto my vita?

i keep getting the error message "YOU FOOL", what am i doing wrong? ;)

Edited by ZuluHero at 18:15:41 06-08-2013
  • Deleted user 6 August 2013 18:44:37
    neilka wrote:

YOU FOOLS.

It's actually sod all on the store for PS+ bods. Not worth the 2GB sacrifice though.
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 09:27:36 2,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoyed it for what is was. My expectations were that it would be an original DS standard game though. If you are comparing it to the PS3 titles I'm not surprised it doesn't compare favorably though.

I think because it was the first Lego game I've played since Lego Island seeing LOTR as Lego was a joy.

The sound quality is awful because they cut and pasted audio from the films, like directly from the films not from the master audio tracks.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2013 09:28:36 58,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you contractually obliged to enjoy everything with a sony label on it?

He totally called it

• aros 7 Aug 2013 09:38:45 2,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lol. I've never been into PS3 gaming and always preferred 360 if that helps. Vita is the first Sony device that's ever been my favourite system of its generation. I didn't like Lego Batman 2 after this as I think the novelty of Lego had worn off and the poor design of the games shone through.
  • Help_me 7 Aug 2013 10:24:00 940 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I must say having endured the first few levels - and I fully admit some were dire - I am now on the second book and the last few levels of the first book have been pretty good. Voices are terrible but music sounds reasonable.

@nickthegun How far did you get Nick? Once you get to Moria it starts getting better. Much like the films!
  • aros 7 Aug 2013 10:58:24 2,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The start was awful indeed.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2013 11:08:19 58,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive made it, I assume, to the point it gets interesting; the lothlorien hub.

I did figure that playing the hobbits was going to be the worst part of the game because, well, fuck hobbits. It also made me laugh how Sam is the only one of the four who can actually do anything.

He totally called it

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous