of 34 First / Last

• StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jun 2013 20:28:21 26,615 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sweet!
  • RedSparrows 3 Jun 2013 22:12:42 24,251 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's got to the point now that 'proper sized' games are on XBLA. 1600 isn't necessarily unfair, if the game is as big as it appears.
  • Baihu1983 3 Jun 2013 22:47:47 3,637 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's what i want to know. How big is the game world? [like how long would it take to get from 1 side the other] and how long is the story?

Minecraft is £15 but it pretty much has unlimited replay value.
  • Benno 3 Jun 2013 22:48:51 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From what I heard it could essentially be sold full price at retail
  • Ziz0u 4 Jun 2013 08:50:11 8,648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Please don't be shit

Please don't be shit

Please don't be shit
  • Benno 4 Jun 2013 09:03:04 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Baihu, could you link to the subsequent IGN lets plays? I dont want to venture onto that website alone without close air support
  • Mattuk123 4 Jun 2013 09:17:37 140 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    That's what i want to know. How big is the game world? [like how long would it take to get from 1 side the other] and how long is the story?

Its around the same size as GTA3(every building is enterable though) maybe slightly bigger. There will also be quite a few home bases you can choose from. The story is around 10 hours, plus there will be other stuff to keep you occupied.

Edited by Mattuk123 at 09:19:46 04-06-2013
  • Ziz0u 4 Jun 2013 09:32:31 8,648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does anyone know if you can carry on after the story? Building a base and getting invested in the characters only for it to end after 10 hours would be a bit shit.
  • Mattuk123 4 Jun 2013 09:49:47 140 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You just continue from your last save(it saves just before last mission), so yes you can carry on playing after completing the game.

Edited by Mattuk123 at 09:54:50 04-06-2013
  • Ziz0u 4 Jun 2013 09:52:52 8,648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cool!
  • agparrot 4 Jun 2013 10:31:21 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ohh, you're all talking about it in here - I didn't need to XBLA-thread it.

Really glad this is coming out tomorrow - a zombie survival game which really seems to focus a lot on the survival bit of it as much as the zombie bit. Despite the technical issues it seems to have at the moment, I can't really see myself resisting, even with a 1600 price point.

I was wondering if we could have an unofficial 'Whose jury-rigged civilisation can last the longest' competition based on our first attempts at playing the game?

There aren't any prizes in an apocalypse, of course, just one more trudging day of scraping by with dwindling resources and the constant threat of sickness and death.
  • the_dudefather 4 Jun 2013 10:34:50 9,418 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any indication of when this comes to PC?

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Ziz0u 4 Jun 2013 10:50:05 8,648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There should be a demo right? I wonder how they will manage that.
  • agparrot 4 Jun 2013 10:52:32 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    I should imagine it'll be time-limited, but I suppose they might also restrict the demo to just the first couple of tutorial missions, perhaps with some restrictions on the geography you can cover in it, too.

Not long to wait to find out, though.
  • Benno 4 Jun 2013 10:52:59 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope the game isn't too easy. I'd like the game to generate tougher and tougher waves of zombies until you are guaranteed to fail (like a tower defense game of sorts, but a bit slower). Then you could complete to see who could last the longest.

I'd just hate to build a massive base only to never have it challenged.
  • PenguinJim 4 Jun 2013 10:54:03 6,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, that sounds pretty good.

And green, blue and purple loot, too, please!
  • bad09 4 Jun 2013 10:55:38 6,255 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @the_dudefather

Not yet sadly, not even a hint yet so it's probably gonna be a while but at least we see reviews and feedback before it comes to us.
  • Ziz0u 4 Jun 2013 11:00:44 8,648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First (?) review!

http://www.oxmonline.com/state-decay-review

Permanent deaths \o/ /o\
  • agparrot 4 Jun 2013 11:03:30 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    I hope the game isn't too easy. I'd like the game to generate tougher and tougher waves of zombies until you are guaranteed to fail (like a tower defense game of sorts, but a bit slower). Then you could complete to see who could last the longest.

The word is that some resources in the world are finite, although I'm not sure anything has been set-in-stone confirmed.

So ammunition is potentially a finite resource, although food and medical supplies can apparently be generated in your base. The stuff I've read on the Undead Labs forums seems to suggest that with a finite number of survivors and the ongoing threats of death by zombie, death by illness and death by starvation that the game is about seeing how long you can survive, rather than upgrading to a point where survival becomes something you do by being able to meet all your needs. That is apparently where the title of the game comes from - everything is gradually going to more and more shit, and you just have to do the best you can to stave it off.

That's how I'm hoping it turns out, anyway.
  • PenguinJim 4 Jun 2013 11:05:00 6,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it doesn't have a number at the end, it's not a review. I can't read English, I have no idea if they liked it or not. :(
  • agparrot 4 Jun 2013 11:06:32 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    If it doesn't have a number at the end, it's not a review. I can't read English, I have no idea if they liked it or not. :(
    It says 8.0, it's just the formatting of the second page of review is... unclear.
  • Ziz0u 4 Jun 2013 11:06:58 8,648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PenguinJim

Page 2?

8.0 :-P
  • PenguinJim 4 Jun 2013 11:08:46 6,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh. :D My eyes thought that was an advert and didn't send anything to my brain! :p

Edit: where are my manners? Thank you!

Edited by PenguinJim at 11:09:00 04-06-2013
  • agparrot 4 Jun 2013 11:08:59 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    First (?) review!

http://www.oxmonline.com/state-decay-review

Permanent deaths \o/ /o\
    If you can stand to have an achievement or two spoiled, and don't mind seeing something half an hour or so into the game, it's worth watching the third episode of the IGN Let's Play videos.

Edit: If you want to witness a glorious permanent death, I mean, right near the end of the vid.

Edited by agparrot at 11:09:34 04-06-2013
  • Baihu1983 4 Jun 2013 11:13:40 3,637 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mattuk123 wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:

Its around the same size as GTA3(every building is enterable though) maybe slightly bigger. There will also be quite a few home bases you can choose from. The story is around 10 hours, plus there will be other stuff to keep you occupied.
    Really? Fuck then yeah £15 is a steal.
  • Mattuk123 4 Jun 2013 11:15:08 140 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    I should imagine it'll be time-limited, but I suppose they might also restrict the demo to just the first couple of tutorial missions, perhaps with some restrictions on the geography you can cover in it, too.

Not long to wait to find out, though.
    The demo will be the first two parts of the ign let's play, basically the tutorial.
  • agparrot 4 Jun 2013 11:22:16 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mattuk123 That sounds fair enough.

I think I'm more looking forward to all the people management as much as anything else - seems to have a bit of a Midwinter/Jagged Alliance 2 vibe going on with having to keep everyone happy, and only being able to achieve improvements to your base by garnering enough influence from going out on supply runs and so on. The range of different skills and abilities and foibles that each character that you recruit has sounds like it might be interesting, and there is 'levelling up' of weapon skills through use.

Plus it has cars, and you can kill zombies by hitting them with the doors.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Jun 2013 12:05:32 26,615 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am so hot for this game.
  • Benno 4 Jun 2013 13:14:59 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mattuk123 wrote:
    You just continue from your last save(it saves just before last mission), so yes you can carry on playing after completing the game.
    From that OXM review they confirm: " Don’t be afraid to complete State of Decay’s final mission. Even after the credits roll, you’ll still be able to continue from just before it starts, so your crew’s story need never truly end."
  • Benno 4 Jun 2013 13:15:49 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Benno wrote:

The word is that some resources in the world are finite, although I'm not sure anything has been set-in-stone confirmed.

So ammunition is potentially a finite resource, although food and medical supplies can apparently be generated in your base. The stuff I've read on the Undead Labs forums seems to suggest that with a finite number of survivors and the ongoing threats of death by zombie, death by illness and death by starvation that the game is about seeing how long you can survive, rather than upgrading to a point where survival becomes something you do by being able to meet all your needs. That is apparently where the title of the game comes from - everything is gradually going to more and more shit, and you just have to do the best you can to stave it off.

That's how I'm hoping it turns out, anyway.
    Excellent yes, I also hope it turns out this way.
  • Page

of 34 First / Last