Building a PC for first time

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • kadooosh 26 Aug 2012 10:55:59 1,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know there's a lot more knowledge in here that I have so thought I'd get some background advice before I make a commitment.

Basically I want a gaming pc, a decent one. A friend just bought a gaming rig from Novatech for 700 but friends keep telling me you can build a decent one around the 300 mark.

Does anyone know where the best place to get parts and what to get around that price for a decent gaming rig?

Appreciate any suggestions
  • WrongShui 26 Aug 2012 11:02:52 6,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I get my stuff from ebuyer and for a decent rig your looking at about 500-600 without buying a monitor.
  • heyyo 26 Aug 2012 11:05:46 14,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Buy a Radeon HD6770 and an i5
  • Kostabi 26 Aug 2012 11:58:03 4,975 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try the recent Digital Foundry article as a starting point for understanding what you need, then adjust as your budget allows.
  • kadooosh 26 Aug 2012 12:07:05 1,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Try the recent Digital Foundry article as a starting point for understanding what you need, then adjust as your budget allows.
    Cheers, I'll have a read of that.
  • coastal 26 Aug 2012 13:25:49 5,384 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or buy an issue of Custom PC. They've got nice price banding builds.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• kadooosh 26 Aug 2012 13:32:25 1,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    Or buy an issue of Custom PC. They've got nice price banding builds.
    Didnt even know that existed, cheers
  • THFourteen 26 Aug 2012 13:33:59 33,797 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    also take a look at the graphics card roundup on tomshardware

it tells you which cards are the best for each price band
  • Bremenacht 26 Aug 2012 15:17:39 18,677 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    also take a look at the graphics card roundup on tomshardware

it tells you which cards are the best for each price band
    Yeah, and they've got decent system-building guides for different price-bands too. Well worth a read.
  • Fake_Blood 26 Aug 2012 15:26:03 4,275 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also be gentle and don't rush things.
  • kadooosh 26 Aug 2012 22:47:26 1,462 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For 375 I've found this built..
    AMD Bulldozer 3.3 GHz 6 Core FX6100 16GB DDR3 RAM (16gb Max) - 1333MHz Fast Access Branded Ram 1 TB Sata III Hard Drive, 7200RPM, excellent performance and silent operation DVDRW +/- DL, high quality DVD re-writeable drive, dual layer support, fast and reliable High Performance Asus Motherboard featuring both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and good upgradability ATi 7750 Gaming Graphics Video Card Wireless 802.11 b/g/n ready for a fast and stable wireless internet connection SPECIAL OFFER: Vantage gaming Style ATX Case, blue fans, card reader integrated, 700W quality PSU fitted, excellent style and quality **NB: If blue LED fans are not available then the case will be fitted with red LED fans** USB Keyboard & Mouse provided! Fast Ethernet Port 10/100/10000 for quick networking and internet speeds High quality surround sound audio supported No Software provided (We recommend 64bit Windows 7 - 80-00 ADD ON OPTION ) No Monitor provided Full 12 Months Parts & Labour Warranty RTB

Is that any good? Anything to look out for?
  • richardiox 26 Aug 2012 23:06:11 5,633 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If its for gaming you don't need 16gb RAM and that 7750 GPU is entry level stuff. Better off with 4gig RAM and a 6870 or equivalent.
  • Gaol 26 Aug 2012 23:17:06 2,423 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think there's that much saving to be had in self-builds anymore. The big advantage is getting exactly the components you want and knowing some care has been taken putting it all together.
  • LockeTribal 26 Aug 2012 23:41:05 4,523 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    May I recommend the following:
    this thread here. It's a veritable font of knowledge, as are most of the people who post in it.

This Lifehacker guide.

RockPaperShotgun's Hard Choices series on hardware.
  • SpaceDave3000 27 Aug 2012 04:34:24 78,390 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    I don't think there's that much saving to be had in self-builds anymore. The big advantage is getting exactly the components you want and knowing some care has been taken putting it all together.
    There most definitely is still a large saving and the key thing is you can choose your own components and tailor it to your needs rather than plump for whatever the manufacturer happens to have bought a job lot of. MS are offering windows licences for cheaper now for self built PCs too.

Edited by Dirtbox at 05:04:32 27-08-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• whatthefu 2 Nov 2012 21:45:47 875 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Basically just did my first build myself. I had installed pretty much everything in a pc at one time before, this time I bought a new case and transferred everything over, so that basically made the set.
    Think next time I will buy a mobo bundle and put it in this case and buy the other bits myself.

Gaol wrote:
    I will be building my next one so I can save on the mad 40 postage I paid last time and handpick all the components, no crappy 5 looking system case next time.
  • platinums 3 Nov 2012 20:33:09 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Its soo much more satisfying to build your own pc, you will also save on the labour cost of putting it together however small that may be these days. Margins are definitely sharper these days.
    ( i remember the days you could build a pc and make 300 profit.. ho hum sadly bygone)

I'm going to build a PC son so researching hard and have found this
    part picker site
    helps to see what the other half are building. It also has a part picker that looks up prices and ratings - really useful.

Edited by platinums at 20:33:45 03-11-2012
  • Arcturas 3 Nov 2012 21:25:36 123 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As a starting point, I tend to look at what Alienware etc high end rigs have, copy down all of the components and then have a look for the individual components and Mobo bundles on Ebuyer. Saved myself a small fortune on my current rig.
  • mrpon 3 Nov 2012 21:29:19 29,170 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RIGSBY!!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Hexagon 4 Nov 2012 01:09:54 352 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I used Scan. Love them to bits. They even do bundles which include the CPU, CPU cooler, memory, and motherboard as well as a free overclock. They generally are amongst the best when it comes to price as well. You can also get free next day delivery from them if you make 20 contributive forum posts and the value of your order exceeds 20 excluding VAT (and let's face it, exceeding 20 on a website that sells electronics is easy). Doesn't matter if your order weighs 1 kilogram or 10 kilograms, or consists of two boxes that are half your height! I am genuinely astounded that they have not been mentioned here yet. They have certainly earned my love and custom.

GOG for Linux!

• jellyhead 4 Nov 2012 01:32:34 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had a look about at what systems were available within my budget and noted the specs. I then chose my favoured components from the list.

I found the PC hardware threads here to be handy for advice as a few of my questions had already been asked and answered. I also found the hardware chart in the "I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. (Part 2) thread over on NeoGAF invaluable.

Bought the components from scan mainly with bits from Amazon and Overclockers UK. Thankfully had no issues and the new PC is going to last me a few years until i do my next one. I'm currently on four year intervals which suits my lazy ass fine. Do some work up front then sit back and enjoy.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• RobTheBuilder 4 Nov 2012 01:56:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I ordered from Scan, a fraction more expensive than ebuyer but much better service.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next