London Paralympics 2012 Page 16

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Bremenacht 2 Sep 2012 22:55:02 19,443 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Furthermore, not quite sure how not having a hand really hinders you in the cycling sprint. People talk about not discriminating against the disabled, but all this does it draw more of a line between them and the able-bodied. If they feel capable of competing with able-bodied, then that is where they belong.
    Perhaps it doesn't hinder her a lot, but what does that matter when she's competing against people who are classed as having a similar level of capability/disability? It'll never be completely fair, but then few sports are perfectly fair in all regards.

And why not go up against the completely able-bodied, if she's good enough? It's not as if she gains a mechanical advantage in any way, as was said of Oscar Pistorius.
  • White_Shadow 2 Sep 2012 22:55:52 2,537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't get Oscar's complaint. Oliveira may have had longer blades, but his winning time (and pb) was nowhere near the time that Pistorius had run a day earlier. It's just about how you perform when it matters.

edit: not that I'm disputing that longer blades have an effect of course (I don't know). But it just sounds like sour grapes.

Edited by White_Shadow at 22:56:38 02-09-2012
  • FWB 2 Sep 2012 22:58:36 45,247 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No problem with her going against able-bodied. In fact that's my point. If she feels she can do it then that is where she belongs. After trying it and then just not making the grade because you're not good enough - disability aside - it seems insulting to switch to the Paralympics. As I said, I feel you should pick one or the other. Obviously that's not how it works, but it seems dubious to me. Belittles the Paralympics in my eyes.

The IHT ran an interesting piece this week about the problem with judging the disabilities in the events and the constant complaining amongst competitors regarding it.

Edited by FWB at 23:05:02 02-09-2012
  • DaM 2 Sep 2012 23:08:46 13,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    heyyo wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Why don't we just get Chris H and Victoria P (or any of our other top cyclists) to partner them? How do you rate a pilot's performance/contribution?
    They're too busy.
    Out on the pish more like. I keep waiting for Bradley Wiggans to be found bevvied in a ditch, he's got previous :)

Liz McColgan (soor-faced Scottish ex-runner) pointed out, when Oscar was in the Olympics, that the blades are not real working legs - they don't get fatigued or generate lactic acid (so not as much pain). Surely in Paralympic races, 2 blades is going to be an advantage over one?

Edited by DaM at 23:10:47 02-09-2012
  • FWB 2 Sep 2012 23:11:59 45,247 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All of these "ifs" and "buts" just bring me to the conclusion that the Paralympics are just a bit of a laugh. Not taking an ounce away from those competing. They put most of us to shame. But it's hard to look upon the medals as some sort of pinnacle.
  • senso-ji 2 Sep 2012 23:17:12 6,002 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sure that running with your own legs have advantages over prosthetics. But it's kind of rich for Pistorius to complain about technology that helped him become a professional athlete earning millions. The better sprinter won on the day.

Edited by senso-ji at 23:18:38 02-09-2012
  • FogHeart 2 Sep 2012 23:46:27 961 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Regarding Sarah's disability: LEXI shows the category she fits in:-

http://lexi.channel4.com/cycling-track.html#c5

The pertinent statement is "They all have a compromised start due to affected bike handling". So while she is like any Olympic cyclist on the move, setting off affects her time. There are a few Olympic cycling disciplines where the start isn't important. If she is able to compete with able-bodied who can start out quicker than her that makes her pretty damn good when 'at speed' - and let's face it this year the Team GB women set the bar pretty damn high. She could probably beat a fair few of the Olympic athletes, just not those in Team GB.

If this category exists specifically for those who have a disability which affects their start, why should she be criticised for making use of it? If there's still any criticism to be made, it's that this category exists. Given the other disabilities in it, such as a moderate impairment in one leg, it's hard to argue that.

Regarding blades vs legs: our legs have evolved over millions of years to function efficiently over a range of speeds, while blades, being a far less complex mechanism, represent a compromise. It looks to me that blades, with their lower acceleration but higher top speed, could edge out legs over a longer sprint distance - but perhaps the bend in the track compromises that.

Edited by FogHeart at 23:52:22 02-09-2012

Edited by FogHeart at 23:53:33 02-09-2012
  • FWB 2 Sep 2012 23:53:45 45,247 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fair enough. Still say she should chose one or the other. And I am now wondering how "minor" does the affect have to be to give it its own event. Anyway, it's an endless debate.

I do wonder if there's a dyslexia event I could get into. Mind, I'd still be shit, whatever it was.

Edited by FWB at 23:58:00 02-09-2012
  • localnotail 3 Sep 2012 20:55:37 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    George Osbourne appeared in the Olympic Stadium this evening to do one of the medal presentations and got booed by the spectators :D

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Tom_Servo 3 Sep 2012 20:56:24 18,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looking forward to the clip.

Look out George, the Cabinet reshuffle's still going on...
  • localnotail 3 Sep 2012 21:33:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago

:D

• Tom_Servo 3 Sep 2012 21:38:21 18,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The (I'm guessing) volunteer in the middle trying not to laugh. :D
  • Deleted user 3 September 2012 22:31:05
    that is so funny. Fuck you george!
  • mal 4 Sep 2012 10:42:06 22,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just saw the gormless George clip on the telly. Epic!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• localnotail 4 Sep 2012 10:49:40 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did anyone see the one-legged / wonky-legged high jump last night? Seriously impressed by those guys.

• Tom_Servo 4 Sep 2012 11:01:33 18,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Meanwhile...
  • Ginger 4 Sep 2012 11:13:14 6,906 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Did anyone see the one-legged / wonky-legged high jump last night? Seriously impressed by those guys.
    Yeah, I was just stood staring at this guy hopping up to the bar and then spring head first over it at nearly 6ft high. Bloody impressive, but bloody nutter!

London open taekwondo champion

• localnotail 4 Sep 2012 13:22:45 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Check it out

• DaM 4 Sep 2012 14:05:36 13,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Check it out
    Without watching the video, how exactly was the conclusion extraordinary? Did each competitor keep attempting to clear an increasing height until they were knocked out? Or was it just extraordinary because they weren't "abled". and didn't do a standard 2 legged Fosbury Flop? I still find a lot of the coverage very patronising, it must really piss the athletes off.
  • senso-ji 4 Sep 2012 14:15:49 6,002 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DaM

It was extraordinary because the top three athletes all cleared the same height, with some getting PBs in the process, and the result had to be decided on count back.
  • DaM 4 Sep 2012 14:26:40 13,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    @DaM

It was extraordinary because the top three athletes all cleared the same height, with some getting PBs in the process, and the result had to be decided on count back.
    Fair enough then :)
  • mal 4 Sep 2012 16:51:00 22,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I rather like this blind football malarkey. For one it's quite amusing them running about with what appear to be panty liners strapped to their faces, but mainly because if one player trips up another one it doesn't count as a foul because they couldn't see what they were doing, and they just have to get up and carry on playing,

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• localnotail 4 Sep 2012 17:59:43 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice to see the GB blind football team keeping with tradition and failing to progress through to the semis.

It's pretty impressive at times, but also gives some undeniably comic moments such as collisions and flailing when players can't track the ball properly. Also today I saw several incidents of players arguing with the ref about whether it was a corner or a goal kick.

Wheelchair tennis is pretty cool.

Edited by localnotail at 18:02:04 04-09-2012

• mrpon 4 Sep 2012 18:19:03 29,435 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there blind tennis?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 4 September 2012 18:25:26
    There's blind clay pigeon shooting. PC nazis gone mad. I mean it's illegal for blind people to drive but they'll let these lads wave a shotgun round 360 degrees.

Not sure if they allow crowds to watch.
  • craigy Staff 4 Sep 2012 18:31:20 7,779 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That George Osborne video above pisses me off -- people boo and he laughs. Gah, hope he gets the push.

Aaaanyways, we went to the morning Track and Field session today, and it was great! I have massive respect for the visually impaired long-jumpers; having the faith to run full pelt and then make a leap into the unknown takes gigantic balls. Also massive props to the guide runners who accompany the visually impaired during the track races. What a lovely thing to do.
  • localnotail 4 Sep 2012 19:56:56 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    That George Osborne video above pisses me off -- people boo and he laughs. Gah, hope he gets the push.
    I think he's a masochist. He probably went home & had a wank over it.

• localnotail 4 Sep 2012 20:00:43 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The GB swimming women do look like dolphins.

• Dougs 4 Sep 2012 21:43:40 69,125 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Great stuff David Weir!
  • welshben23 4 Sep 2012 21:47:03 1,107 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flipping heck! A whole page of actual talk about the Paralympics and no pathetic 'jokes' from idiots. I am impressed. :)
  • Page

of 18 First / Last