The ***OFFICIAL*** Vuelta 2012 thread

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Salaman 20 Aug 2012 09:25:30 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone following this?
    I normally don't pay too much attention to the Vuelta. It doesn't have the glamour and appeal of the Tour or the Giro but it's still one of the three biggest multi stage races. With team Sky's antics in last year's Vuelta and this year's Tour in mind, my interest is piqued now.

I look forward to how Froom will handle the leadership in his team and the stress that comes with arriving in a big race like this with clear ambitions for an overall win.

Valverde, who was nowhere in this year's TdF got off to a good start with Movistar in the team time trial.

Watched the recap of yesterday's stage last night. A bit mental that a motorbike was sitting right in front of a sprinting peloton within the last kilometer.

There's some first mountainous terrain lined up today. Looking forward to watching a recap tonight.
  • THFourteen 20 Aug 2012 09:38:08 33,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    is this some sort of new sony handheld?
  • gang_of_bitches 20 Aug 2012 09:55:38 5,569 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Our Sky reception is playing up so can't get Eurosport at the moment. Considering I only have it for the cycling it's very frustrating.
  • Salaman 20 Aug 2012 09:56:46 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    is this some sort of new sony handheld?
    Yeah but it's not released yet due to a patent violation court case.
  • Wacko_AK 20 Aug 2012 10:42:04 185 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll just be watching the highlights on ITV4, looking like it will be a good race unless Contador destroys everyone. I'm actually enjoying no Phil/Paul on the commentary.

Be very interesting to see how Froome gets on in this one.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2012 11:15:12
    aye he look pretty tired at the olympics. Theres a mountain stage already today i think! don't mess around do they
  • Deleted user 20 August 2012 16:33:18
    super agressive in the last 10 k today. Great to watch.

No matter what his done in the past, i do like watching contador ride. just hope his keeping it all clean.
  • Vortex808 20 Aug 2012 19:25:58 7,148 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Froome supposed to be Sky's GC guy for this isn't he? How did he get on? I'll start searching the highlights on eurosport soon.

It might be one of the big 3, but it never quite draws me in as much as the Tour itself.
  • elstoof 20 Aug 2012 21:05:51 7,354 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's doing alright, Froome. It's already pretty much down to the 4 main contenders. Loon out for Ben Swift as well, good sprint prospect. There's good text coverage over at road.cc after each stage too.
  • Wacko_AK 21 Aug 2012 09:32:46 185 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It might be one of the big 3, but it never quite draws me in as much as the Tour itself
    there was more exciting racing and attacks yesterday than in the whole of this years TDF.

I take your point though, the TDF has much better coverage - too many of the shots yesterday were of them passing behind trees etc

Edited by Wacko_AK at 09:33:08 21-08-2012
  • Salaman 21 Aug 2012 10:11:36 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're bloody amateuristic compared to the TdF. On the first day, one team in the team time trial lost time because the motorbike leading them took a wrong turn.
    On Sunday's finish, there was a motorbike sitting really close in front of the peleton that was just ramping up to top speed in the sprint. Mad!

Yesterday Phillipe Gilbert won the price for combatativeness (or whatever you call it, the most attacking guy) but as he was already 5 km away in the bus by the time they announced it, he was unable to collect his price on the podium.

Close finish yesterday though. Silly of Rodriguez to stop peddling with the finish-line in sight. It's an odd finish though, you have that last turn and once you come through it the line is there, so the conventional wisdom is that the guy that's first through that turn wins it as there's no room and not enough road left to pass the first rider.

Good job by Valverde to keep pushing though. Got it by the width of a thumb in the end.

It was really hard to tell who won in the end and the only confirmation of the winner came when Valverde was suddenly shown for a post-finish flash interview.
    Again, poor job by the directors/organisation/...

Still, good stuff on the actual race front. That's what matters in the end.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2012 10:29:25
    the last few years when watching this race, the commentators always said its probably the worse run tour. so yeah your complaints don't surprise me.

As for the tv coverage. its always been appalling. Cameramen who don't know what aperture settings are. Colour casted shots all the time. KM tickers that go back up sometimes. Loss of tickers telling you gaps. wrong rider captions etc.

It is probably the worse run sporting event in the world :) but with great racing.
  • Salaman 21 Aug 2012 23:10:30 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DRAMA! The leader gets held up in a fairly big crash and team Sky decides that's their cue to attack.

Valverde on Twittter:
    Gracias @TeamSky !
    Everybody Is free to behave the way he wants to but after provoking the crash you should not attack. This is not fair.
    At least Rodriguez now gets the lead with a day's delay after his silly rookie mistake yesterday.
  • elstoof 21 Aug 2012 23:17:22 7,354 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Movistar have done the same thing twice this year. When Siutsou broke his leg in the TdF sky asked to slow the pace Guttierez couldn't give a toss, and in Paris-Nice the team kicked up a gear after Lepheimmer got caught in a tangle.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2012 23:24:51
    to be fair to sky, they initated an attack, and valverde crashed. not the other way round.

But probably should have waited for him, being in the leaders jersey. But it wasn't out right outrageous as it would have been say if they done it to cadel in the tdf.
  • Salaman 21 Aug 2012 23:25:38 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair enough. Although it's slightly different with one guy like Guttierez accelerating on a decent at, how far was it 20-30-40k to go and the whole team upping the pace.

Guttierez was a lone guy trying to limit his gap on the next up in the overall. Sky just saw the leader of the overall go down and went "GO!".

It's an everlasting debate though isn't it. The noble idea that "you don't attack the leader at a moment he's unable to defend himself" versus "it's a race! It's war! You do whatever you need to!".

I think generally it comes down to fair play if you can afford to (i.e. low risk to your leader's rankings) in order to harvest some goodwill. Tough luck otherwise.
  • Wacko_AK 22 Aug 2012 12:29:03 185 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    to be fair to sky, they initated an attack, and valverde crashed. not the other way round.
    ^^^this, I was slightly uncomfortable with what they done but years of watching the grand tours always means to me that crosswind = carnage if you're not careful.

Anyway, fuck 'em - the doped up Spaniards don't like it up 'em :)

I loved how the DS for Movistar was suggesting that the Sky team planned the crash..

100 times more interesting so far than the whole of the TDF
  • Salaman 22 Aug 2012 12:55:49 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    years of watching the grand tours always means to me that crosswind = carnage if you're not careful.
    Yeah, crosswind = huge risk of the peloton breaking into chunks, so every team is urging their guys to move to the front to make sure they will be in the front when the break in the peloton happens.
    Once you get all teams vying to get their lead riders to the front, you're pretty much guaranteed a crash.

The predictability of crashes is almost sad. Same with the 1st week of the TdF, lots of nervousness, lots of people trying to be on the first rows to make sure they won't end up in a crash which then leads to crashes.

Strange stage today. 8 massive laps around Logroņo. I've not watched the Vuelta in the past really. Do they use these sort of stages often?
    Looks like a guaranteed mass sprint, unless some attackers get permission to take a hefty lead.
  • pistol 22 Aug 2012 16:26:32 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wacko_AK wrote:
    I'll just be watching the highlights on ITV4, looking like it will be a good race unless Contador destroys everyone. I'm actually enjoying no Phil/Paul on the commentary.

Be very interesting to see how Froome gets on in this one.
    +1

Baring a crash I can't see froome beating Contador.

Just love his relentless mountain attacks and the way he dances on the pedals. Big fan of wiggo & Froome but I really can't see either of them beating Contador when he's at his best. Next years TDF will be interesting.
  • Salaman 24 Aug 2012 12:19:03 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good job by Sky/Froome yesterday. Took some time on Contador. Secondplace overall with a handful of seconds behind.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2012 12:28:18
    Surprised that he was able to ride away from him like that. i think froome is capable of grabbing 10 seconds here and there, but contador probably have a day where he will blitz the field. should be interesting!
  • ResidentKnievel 25 Aug 2012 23:32:40 6,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has Lance Armstrong being stripped of his tour titles been talked about yet?

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Salaman 26 Aug 2012 12:51:05 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Has Lance Armstrong being stripped of his tour titles been talked about yet?
    Yeah but mostly in the cycling thread. Although that is usually full of discussion on bikes and people doing their own cycling, not any races as such.
  • Salaman 30 Aug 2012 18:36:33 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking hell, that last climb was a bit mental!
    Average gradient of 13% or so with the steepest 26%! Twenty six!
    0_o

Froome sliding down the GC I see.
  • Salaman 3 Sep 2012 21:10:36 19,066 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone still following? Rodriguez is doing a great job. Only Contador has anything on him and he keeps trumping him in the last bits of the climb (today a 19.6k climb at 6% average, with a finish near 25%) to nab some points.

Also, not sure if you can view this from the UK but it made me smile.
    Wiggins in a Derny-criterium

Edited by Salaman at 21:10:52 03-09-2012
  • Deleted user 3 September 2012 21:42:47
    Aye. watched up to 10k left before i had to work..shall watch higlights when i get in. both look awesome. Some of the racing as been great. tactics and strageties have been really entertaining.

Great win for that perida yesterday as well.

hope next year we can have everyone having a fully fit and attended TDF! All guns blazing!
  • Wacko_AK 4 Sep 2012 08:17:56 185 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That last climb was mental, when the tv images cut to the guy at the front (Dario Cataldo) you would have assumed he was at the back of the pack fighting to hold on he was going that slow.

Apparently Contador was using a 36x30 gear and he still had a really low cadence on the final few km.

Happy to see Rodriguez power past him to gain the bonus seconds and maintain his lead.
  • pistol 4 Sep 2012 10:13:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like Wiggo but neither him or Froome will have a chance against Contador if they all do the TDF next year. I guess a lot might depend on whether AC does the Giro beforehand but my guess is he'll be pushing for another Tour title. And if they include more mountain stages next year instead of 100km of Time Trials, BW & CF might as well forget it..
  • Deleted user 4 September 2012 10:26:15
    I think froome is quite tired from the TDF, its starting to take its toll on Valverde as well.

I think a fresh froome will be a bit closer, but even in the tour he was almost out the back door a couple of times. It depends on the teams as well, saxo team this year in the LV is really strong, it could be an interesting battle between them and a full strenght sky team.

But on the day, Bertie is a different level and only Andy can stick with him.

Theres talk of Wiggo aiming for the giro next year, but his responsibilty as a defending Tour champion might say differently. will have to see.
  • pistol 4 Sep 2012 10:58:03 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    I think froome is quite tired from the TDF, its starting to take its toll on Valverde as well.

I think a fresh froome will be a bit closer, but even in the tour he was almost out the back door a couple of times. It depends on the teams as well, saxo team this year in the LV is really strong, it could be an interesting battle between them and a full strenght sky team.

But on the day, Bertie is a different level and only Andy can stick with him.

Theres talk of Wiggo aiming for the giro next year, but his responsibilty as a defending Tour champion might say differently. will have to see.
    I think Wiggo was a little lucky that this year's Tour was TT dominated. Not sure he can cope with repeated mountain stages, especially if they are mountain-top finishes. Seems ok with the long grinds as he paces himself well, but no explosiveness. And if Froome does decide to go to another team I'm not sure who'll be able to support Wiggo when the climbs get tough. My guess is his performance in the Giro would be similar.

Edited by pistol at 10:58:19 04-09-2012
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous