of 16 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 July 2012 16:39:15
    Blotto wrote:

/graphics whore
    It's not for you then.
  • Blotto 11 Jul 2012 16:46:15 2,776 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I basically just wanted to know what the graphics would be like, whether all the games would simply be Iphone esque apps or something more substantial.

Graphics whore was probably a bit strong, I like good graphics for sure, I don't hate anything less than that though.
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 16:46:56 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, graphics whoring is sort of missing the point.

This is very much an "it's all about the games" machine. Or an "wouldn't it be great if I could make a console game without jumping through stupid licensing hoops" machine. Or an "I love the indie scene" machine. Or an "I like open platforms" machine.

Ok, I'll stop now.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Blotto 11 Jul 2012 16:50:23 2,776 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really don't think asking what the graphics would be like is that outrageous.

I know its a games forum, but I don't know all that much about how powerful x chip is. Was really just asking what the graphics would be like, as explained before.
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 16:52:29 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tegra 3 outperforms the wii, and is pretty much on par with ipad (which can run UE3, don't forget). So... nothing mindblowing, but enough to handle complex 3d games with some ambition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Digital Foundry analysis shortly.

Edited by darkmorgado at 16:54:03 11-07-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 16:56:23 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a ULP chipset as well, so it won't be any more of a drain on your electricity bill than charging your mobile phone.

Which is nice.

• Blotto 11 Jul 2012 16:57:25 2,776 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cool, as I said before I like the sound of it for sure. But I will have to wait and see how its utilised. I'm not a fan of Iphone gaming generally, so if the games created are basically Iphone apps for the TV i'll have to give it a miss. If they're more like indie PC games then I'll most probably buy one.

I'm not expecting games with AAA-like production values and content, but I'm just not really interested in "fun for five minutes" games with little dpth.
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 17:01:29 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The existence of a dual analogue stick controller with the unit makes me think you're better thinking of it as an additional indie PC game platform rather than some sort of me too portal to ios game on your tv, really.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard people say that the absence of real button input and analogue sticks limits game opportunities on touchscreen devices.

This solves that problem.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:01:57 11-07-2012

• Deleted user 11 July 2012 17:02:59
    Except you cant fit it in your pocket.
  • Lukus 11 Jul 2012 17:05:21 19,114 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

Since launching yesterday, the company's Kickstarter has already sailed well past its funding goal of $950,000. At time of writing the project has received financial backing totalling $2,446,620 and broken records for the most funding on Kickstarter in the first 24 hours. That means it's well on track to beat Double Fine Studios $3.3m feat.

Ouya is $99 android-based console using nvidia's Tegra3 line of chips, originally designed for high-performance mobile devices and tablets.

Ouya is designed to be completely open, with all users able to create and sell apps and games through the machine's own marketplace and add functionality and hardware to the device without restrictions. Each unit ships with a development kit and will allow all users to submit their game or app to the marketplace either for free or using a payment model of their choosing. The only restriction is that all games submitted to the service must include a free trial.

Notable figures involved with the console are Ed Fries, best known for co-creating Microsoft's Xbox, designer Yves Behar and backing from the makers of Minecraft, industry veteran Jordan Mechner (of Prince of Persia fame) and Brian Fargo, creator of classic game Wasteland (which went on to inspire the Fallout series of games).

Ouya is expected to launch around March 2013 and will retail for $99 for a console and controller. Additional controllers can be purchased for $30.

With their goal reached and 28 days of funding left to go, the company have declared that they are now considering "stretch goals" - additional things that they will be able to bring to the project with any money over the original aim of $950,000. With nearly three times that amount already committed to the project, they will have plenty of scope to push their idea even further.
    Somebody wants to be a games journaliiiiissssst!

Paintings & Photographs

• THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 17:05:25 33,439 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    I did write them a little feedback note saying their stretch goals should be Netflix/iPlayer/Media Streaming, Emulators and Onlive.
    Meh I have loads of devices under the telly that do that. An actual games console would be a welcome addition.
    dunno, having a low powered, quiet, quick-boot device that does this stuff for me would be infinitely better than waiting for the xbox to switch on, listening to it whirr, waiting for the latest dashboard to download, waiting for netflix to open and then actually get around to using the shitty interface would be a winner for me.

I've been thinking about an apple tv, but this would be so much better. this or the google scrotum thing
  • Deleted user 11 July 2012 17:07:44
    The Xbox was quick to boot before they added all the extra bloat
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 17:12:58 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Lukus

hehe

I originally wrote that as a submission for the BBC, but their stupid fecking submissions were down. So I just ended up copy-pasting it here instead.

I've done small bits and bobs before when it comes to writing articles in the past, so it's nothing I actively pursue but I like to flex my muscles every once in a while ;-)

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:14:37 11-07-2012

• mrpon 11 Jul 2012 17:13:05 28,921 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I've been thinking about an apple tv, but this would be so much better. this or the google scrotum thing
    I'd recommend one, only 85 refurb for the latest 1080p model. Great for Netflix browsing and all the other guff, lovely remote, AirPlay blah blah.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 17:19:49 33,439 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    I'd recommend one, only 85 refurb for the latest 1080p model. Great for Netflix browsing and all the other guff, lovely remote, AirPlay blah blah.
    dont you have to jailbreak it if you dont want to rely on itunes?

besides i've just shelled out $119 for a oooyah :)
  • mrpon 11 Jul 2012 17:23:54 28,921 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, depends what you want it for I guess, pauper.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jul 2012 17:24:02 38,246 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm calling it now, this will never surface. Your money is gone.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• WrongShui 11 Jul 2012 17:30:24 6,619 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm with Ddevil!

/Shenanigans
  • THFourteen 11 Jul 2012 17:37:30 33,439 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Yes, depends what you want it for I guess, pauper.
    Streaming video from my PC, Netflix, iPlayer and Spotify.

Guess the last three would be fine, but i point blank refuse to convert all my videos to itunes format just for the hell of it, and i dont know that the latest model can be jailbroken, plus that whole XBMC thing looks like a kefuffle.

what happens if this thing never surfaces, do the people just walk off with our cash? or do they have to pay some of it back
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 17:40:42 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I'm calling it now, this will never surface. Your money is gone.
    It has people like Ed Fries, the co-creator of Xbox as consultant on the project and a lot of known industry veterans involved. I really don't think it's a scam at all, those people a) don't need the money, b) have way too much to lose by being involved in some sort of con attempt. It's not like this is a bunch of unknowns making unrealistic promises. These are well-known industry figures with proven track records that are putting both their own finances and reputation on the line to bring this to market.

If this is a con, then so is the Wastlenad project, so is Double Fine Adventure, etc etc etc. Those people have just as much to lose as well (guilty by association etc).

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:46:16 11-07-2012

• Deleted user 11 July 2012 17:49:03
    So.....how do you pronounce ouya?
  • Mr-Brett 11 Jul 2012 17:49:08 12,799 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    I'm with Ddevil!

/Shenanigans
    Is he a gentle lover?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 17:55:02 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    So.....how do you pronounce ouya?
    "ooooh YA" (like a sort of victory cheer).

The video on the kickstarter gives an example.

It's actually not a bad name. Meaningless by itself, but the use of nice curvy letters lends itself to an attractive design, the letters can all be easily overlaid to create a symbolic/tribalistic logo, the phonetics conjure images of victory and celebration and social gaming.

I like it.

It's better than Wii at any rate.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:56:08 11-07-2012

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:57:58 11-07-2012

• Deleted user 11 July 2012 17:59:28
    I'm interested, except for a few titles I'm more excited about xbla games in general as they seem more focused on gameplay. Ohhh ya could be like a xbla console which could be fantasic as long as its cheap.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jul 2012 18:05:39 38,246 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never said it was a scam, I said it's not going to see the light of day.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 11 July 2012 18:11:07
    Yup, that's another thing dark has ruined for me.
  • spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 18:12:14 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    I'm interested, except for a few titles I'm more excited about xbla games in general as they seem more focused on gameplay. Ohhh ya could be like a xbla console which could be fantasic as long as its cheap.
    Prices are set by the devs themselves.

This has the potential to be extremely disruptive to other digital distribution methods like XBLA, Steam, Etc. It's well established that indie devs have serious issues and headaches trying to go through the XBLA and other licensing and approval processes (the time being one factor, MS' stupid "must be attached to a publisher" requirement being another, MS' "must not have launched on a previous console or provides new content" requirement, the whole EDGE vs Apple Marketplace fiasco, etc etc etc). This gives indie devs to develop a game, choose their own pricing model (something which XBLA and PSN don't allow, remember), their own pricing structure, not have to deal with lengthy and expensive licensing issues, and have their game readily available on a console priced extremely aggressively that fits a huge gap in the market between touch screen devices and affordable home units using gamepads, and outperforms both in price and performance the most commercially and financially successful home console platform ever seen in the home console industry. Even the MS Indie channel has proven to be a massive failure, and stuff like Steam is tied up to a race to the bottom and lack of control over pricing.

The big question, long-term, is dev support. But on the face of it, it ticks all of the boxes when it comes to affordability/ value for money for the conusmer and ease of use for developers.

Edited by darkmorgado at 18:28:47 11-07-2012

• mrpon 11 Jul 2012 18:13:35 28,921 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Just gone over $3 million now, what if it gets to $15 mill?

• spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 18:20:56 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Yup, that's another thing dark has ruined for me.
    Elaborate?

• spamdangled 11 Jul 2012 18:25:21 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    They have a working prototype already, so this isn't some sort of wishful thinking "wouldn't it be cool if" thing, and by the time it enters production Tegra3 will be cheap as chips (it's pretty cheap as it is).

This is an idea with low production costs, using off the shelf parts, and software that has already been developed, with the input of some pretty big names in the industry. It may not go anywhere in the long term, but I'm pretty confident (as are many others, going by the level of backing) that it will least reach the stage of an initial production run.

And anything that even has a chance of disrupting the current market and promoting open platforms has to be a good thing.

Edited by darkmorgado at 18:26:20 11-07-2012

• Page

of 16 First / Last