Windows on an SSD - now what? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • silentbob 4 Jul 2012 11:35:42 28,950 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a ludicrous false economy to try and protect your SSD from an 'early failure' when you, at the same time, remove much of the benefit of having it in the first place.

Keep as many frequently accessed files, including Windows temporarily files, on your SSD because speed of access to these files have a direct affect on your Windows experience. Further, anything you know you'll be using a lot (games etc.) should be moved to SSD.

The only things I'd always advise checking once you upgrade is that TRIM is enabled and that you disable any defrag operations on your SSD (which has zero benefit).

You need to weigh up the size / benefit before moving stuff of course, your space is limited.

Edited by silentbob at 12:07:07 04-07-2012

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Rusty_M 4 Jul 2012 11:46:29 4,595 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some games benefit more than others. If a game stutters due to loading from an HDD, an SSD may smooth that out. I find it helps massively on some flight simulation games.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• sport 4 Jul 2012 11:55:55 12,584 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @silentbob - this is the impression I'm getting.

guy 1: "Get an SSD for ultimate performance!"
    guy 2: "Cool, will do"
    guy 1: "But don't put any of your games on it, or programs, or apps, just the OS, but make sure the swap file ain't there. Also no important data."
    guy 2: "Right, so why am I getting a SSD again"
    guy 1: "For performance!!!!"
    guy 2: "Fuck off"
  • Dirtbox 4 Jul 2012 12:02:26 77,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I know what I'm doing at least. Most of the things you mention don't gain anything from being on an SSD, OS files and apps do though.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:04:05 04-07-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• sport 4 Jul 2012 12:07:50 12,584 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Well, I know what I'm doing at least. Most of the things you mention don't gain anything from being on an SSD, OS files and apps do though.
    ;-P I know mate. Wasn't having a dig.
  • Ginger 4 Jul 2012 12:09:13 6,827 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Swap file definitely will if you're running lots of memory intensive stuff. I've just ordered 16GB RAM though so that'll keep that under control for a while I hope

London open taekwondo champion

• silentbob 4 Jul 2012 13:11:28 28,950 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    @silentbob - this is the impression I'm getting.

guy 1: "Get an SSD for ultimate performance!"
    guy 2: "Cool, will do"
    guy 1: "But don't put any of your games on it, or programs, or apps, just the OS, but make sure the swap file ain't there. Also no important data."
    guy 2: "Right, so why am I getting a SSD again"
    guy 1: "For performance!!!!"
    guy 2: "Fuck off"
    DB was perfectly correct to bring the point up, most people are unaware of SSD's limitations.

As ever, you just have to absorb the info and do what you think is best for your situation / system.

All that aside, SSD is the single biggest upgrade you can perform on a computer outside of RAM / GPU. It's also fast becoming the cheapest.

• UncleLou Moderator 4 Jul 2012 13:31:36 35,433 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    Is upgrading to SSD worth it? Does it make a big difference to the Windows experience in general?
    I was surprised how quickly (namely: instantly) Windows is usable after booting. My PC is no slouch, but before it has found the network and Steam, Squeezebox server etc., are launched, not much was possible. Now it's responsive as soon as the UI is visible.

Biggest surprise for me so far was that just having the programs (like VLC etc.) on the SSD, but the media themselves on the normal hdd makes a big difference. Even opening big HD videos quickly one after another happens immediately. Not quite sure why that is though, I would have thought the storage of the media is the limiting factor there.

Edited by UncleLou at 13:32:04 04-07-2012
  • Dirtbox 4 Jul 2012 13:43:26 77,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HD movies stream from media at tiny fraction of the media's data transfer rate. The only limiting factor is the initial seek time for a mechanical HDD. The program launch is triggered by file type.

And for christ sakes, get PotPlayer, VLC is a massive turd.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:59:08 04-07-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 4 Jul 2012 13:56:15 28,950 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    woodnotes wrote:
    Is upgrading to SSD worth it? Does it make a big difference to the Windows experience in general?
    I was surprised how quickly (namely: instantly) Windows is usable after booting. My PC is no slouch, but before it has found the network and Steam, Squeezebox server etc., are launched, not much was possible. Now it's responsive as soon as the UI is visible.

Biggest surprise for me so far was that just having the programs (like VLC etc.) on the SSD, but the media themselves on the normal hdd makes a big difference. Even opening big HD videos quickly one after another happens immediately. Not quite sure why that is though, I would have thought the storage of the media is the limiting factor there.
    Seek operations are massively quicker, so any request by the OS to storage is going to respond more quickly. In many cases, this over raw throughput is the most obvious benefit to using SSDs.

You'll notice app installations are almost pleasurable now too. ;)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next