Work, and how it gets us down

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • MightyMetalMonkey 29 Jun 2012 14:11:53 600 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe I've been blind, but I haven't noticed any threads about how much those of us who have reached Puberty hate work. Our jobs in specific.
    Just endured a crap week where 1 colleague is on holiday, 1 is now away until September due to being part-time and 2 others are suddenly 'Ill' (No doubt with work-itis or Cantbebotherdis)

My Postal Rating is 75 and Rising... (If you see me on the news with peoples veins sticking between my teeth, whilst covered in blood and police marksmen all around - that a sign that my Postal rating will have reached 100...)
  • chopsen 29 Jun 2012 14:13:29 16,290 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MightyMetalMonkey wrote:
    how much those of us who have reached Puberty hate work.
    So you're advocating we use child labour. Interesting....
  • mal 29 Jun 2012 14:13:44 22,830 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most of the random rants thread is people moaning about how much they hate their jobs. And the other half is people moaning about how hard it is to find work.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• L_Franko Moderator 29 Jun 2012 14:20:53 9,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, work sucks but unless you're a very lucky person who has a job they love you just have to suck it up.

Or spend 50% of the work time on this here site.
  • RedSparrows 29 Jun 2012 16:25:15 24,204 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My job is great. I work three days a week in archives, libraries and college.
    My boss is an amiable, if focused to the point of being stern, academic who is miles away, so I have nobody looking over my shoulder.
    Pay is very good.
    I research interesting people and ideas, and correspond with academics globally.
    It gives me time to write on my days off (fiction/academic) without feeling pressured to find more work.

It's great!

/tra la la
  • MightyMetalMonkey 29 Jun 2012 16:28:09 600 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If EG would get rid of those big side adverts, I could probably pass this off as work from a distance...
  • Ginger 29 Jun 2012 16:31:07 6,916 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MightyMetalMonkey adblock?

London open taekwondo champion

• monkehhh 29 Jun 2012 16:37:14 3,505 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MightyMetalMonkey Or Portable mode helps :)
  • AceGrace 29 Jun 2012 16:41:23 1,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It depends on how you look at it.

Live to work or work to live.

I personally work to live therefore I don't get down about it.

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• glaeken 29 Jun 2012 16:45:07 11,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most people get a fair amount of fun out of their lives, but on balance life is suffering, and only the very young or the very foolish imagine otherwise.
  • gang_of_bitches 29 Jun 2012 16:48:46 5,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @AceGrace

I think most people, left to their own devices would work to live, employers on the other hand tend to have a rather different idea about what the work-life balance should be.

I'm so glad I don't have a proper job anymore, there was a time when my Monday morning work dread kicked in pretty much the second I finished on a Friday.
  • Deleted user 29 June 2012 16:52:50
    It's stupid to stay in a job that you hate for a long amount of time. It's not like years ago, employers don't expect loyalty anymore and you shouldn't expect any from them. If your work keeps you up at night or you feel you're always a part of that work then it's time to let go and find a different job.

Life isn't about spending all of it working.
  • gang_of_bitches 29 Jun 2012 16:56:17 5,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Aargh.

Luckily it was really only a 6 month period I was really in that mindset for.

I'd absolutely 100% agree with not being loyal to a company, being made redundant 3 times in 5 years taught me that. It can be hard at times though to separate it from being loyal to your colleagues.
  • WoodenSpoon 29 Jun 2012 17:15:52 12,303 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    My job is great. I work three days a week in archives, libraries and college.
    My boss is an amiable, if focused to the point of being stern, academic who is miles away, so I have nobody looking over my shoulder.
    Pay is very good.
    I research interesting people and ideas, and correspond with academics globally.
    It gives me time to write on my days off (fiction/academic) without feeling pressured to find more work.

It's great!

/tra la la
    What is it that you do? Sounds pretty cushy!
  • prawnking1980 29 Jun 2012 17:36:59 5,193 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He is Robert Langdon.
  • Lukey__b 29 Jun 2012 19:48:04 3,716 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My work is fine, it's just the idiots I have to work with.

They're nice enough, but some of them have that thing where they're no higher up than you but seem to insist you do things their way. Anyone could do the job, it's not hard, but you kind of have your way of doing things, then you get these idiots who want you to do it their way.... who knows why. The result is the same and you try to work the best way that suits you, then you have these control freaks who insist their way is best.

Usually it's fine, but it can be dead frustrating having someone "thinking" they are correcting mistakes you are making. What's more frustrating is the thought that these idiots can be passing on feedback upwards. I've ran into these unaware idiots a few times... thankfully most the time everyone knows they're idiots, just haven't got that confirmed from management about these few yet.

Thanks for starting this thread. You should have put a full-stop at the end of the title, that's how I would have done it.

'Sup, what's guanine?

• BurnoutJunkie 29 Jun 2012 21:52:03 730 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was in a similar position nearly two years back. My immediate colleagues were fantastic, but management and the board were a bunch of arseholes. They didn't care that our team was being worked into the ground, would not hire anyone else. I have moved on and never looked back. Same industry, totally different company. A company that looks after its staff and actually gives a damn. Fantastic team and immediate line manager that fights tooth and nail to get the best for her team. Sure, heavy workloads come and go, but I feel like it's worth it!

/wishes this upon everyone that has a terrible job.
  • Kostabi 29 Jun 2012 22:02:42 5,088 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I get paid to do a job, not enjoy it. Much like a prostitute really.
  • superdelphinus 29 Jun 2012 22:13:19 8,126 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing I don't like about my work is the pressure. The job in itself can be quite stimulating, but there is unrelenting pressure especially in the current climate. Takes me until Sunday afternoon to relax at weekends and then I'm usually prepping stuff on Sunday evenings :(

Shouldn't complain though...
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next