Google Nexus Page 20

• Page

of 59 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 20 Nov 2012 20:02:54 4,025 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    My wife bought me the 16GB for my birthday, third day with it now and I love it. Time to browse through this thread for some case recommendations.

Spent a good couple of hours last night trying out various RSS readers to sync with Google Reader and settled on JustReader. I use Reeder on IOS and couldn't find an Android version, but JustReader is excellent. Has a nice widget too.
    I used to use flipboard but got pissed off that its always on a white background, too bright on my nite even with brightness dialled down. Im always on the lookout for bigger or better so I'll check it out

At the moment I use gReader. It really is brilliant, so much so I even paid for it just to remove ads. You can customise it to you hearts content and the big one for me was the light, dark and black themes.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Dr.Haggard 21 Nov 2012 09:43:22 4,259 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    My wife bought me the 16GB for my birthday, third day with it now and I love it. Time to browse through this thread for some case recommendations.

Spent a good couple of hours last night trying out various RSS readers to sync with Google Reader and settled on JustReader. I use Reeder on IOS and couldn't find an Android version, but JustReader is excellent. Has a nice widget too.
    I used to use flipboard but got pissed off that its always on a white background, too bright on my nite even with brightness dialled down. Im always on the lookout for bigger or better so I'll check it out

At the moment I use gReader. It really is brilliant, so much so I even paid for it just to remove ads. You can customise it to you hearts content and the big one for me was the light, dark and black themes.
    Actually I take it back, I've dumped JustReader after finding a few annoying issues when I started using it a bit more (not very smooth scrolling, an irritating layout hiccup every time I tapped to open an article from the list view etc). I tried gReader again and found some settings I'd initially thought absent, like 'mark as read on scroll' and adding thumbnails to the article list, and after using it for a while last night I agree it's excellent.
  • crashVoodoo 21 Nov 2012 09:57:54 4,025 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:

Actually I take it back, I've dumped JustReader after finding a few annoying issues when I started using it a bit more (not very smooth scrolling, an irritating layout hiccup every time I tapped to open an article from the list view etc). I tried gReader again and found some settings I'd initially thought absent, like 'mark as read on scroll' and adding thumbnails to the article list, and after using it for a while last night I agree it's excellent.
    if you like offline reading like me its a godsend. some sites put a couple of lines in their feeds and then have a link forcing you to go to their site to read the rest. this will follow those links and cache the full content as well.

• Duffking 27 Nov 2012 12:16:12 7,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're finding your N7 to be laggy after the 4.2 update, go into settings, apps, and disable google currents, then reboot. Should fix it.
  • THFourteen 27 Nov 2012 12:24:00 34,475 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have tried a bunch of readers and RSSDemon is by far the best IMO.

It gets full text articles on its own, and the scheduler works great, and takes up very little resources.

plus you can turn it into white text on black to save battery.
  • eleven63 27 Nov 2012 18:49:41 1,647 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    If you're finding your N7 to be laggy after the 4.2 update, go into settings, apps, and disable google currents, then reboot. Should fix it.
    Yeah, tried this but still getting phantom clicks, Chrome crashing and a new one today, maps laggy as fuck - apparently 4.2.1 is on the way

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• steve242526 27 Nov 2012 19:42:55 134 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really happy with my 32gb Nexus so my sister is now wanting a 16gb version. But it seems to be quite difficult to trace one down. Amazon are selling them for 202, and place like Currys and Argos just seem to be doing the 32gb. I know that they're 159 on the Google store and in stock but it doesn't say what the delivery charge is until you key in all your card details which is a bit strange ! Anyone know where the best place is to get one at the 159 price ?
  • Steve_Perry 27 Nov 2012 21:15:53 5,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I read somewhere it's 10 delivery, so it might still be your best bet.
  • monkman76 27 Nov 2012 21:18:51 5,410 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is, 10 delivery. That's the cheapest place to get it I'm pretty sure.
  • PatrickEwing 27 Nov 2012 22:58:21 2,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do the google store, mine was delivered next working day
  • PatrickEwing 28 Nov 2012 12:49:54 2,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No idea about availability but CPW have the 32gb nexus 7 for 178.
    32GB NEXUS 7 178.00
  • DaM 28 Nov 2012 12:54:04 13,537 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    steve242526 wrote:
    Really happy with my 32gb Nexus so my sister is now wanting a 16gb version. But it seems to be quite difficult to trace one down. Amazon are selling them for 202, and place like Currys and Argos just seem to be doing the 32gb. I know that they're 159 on the Google store and in stock but it doesn't say what the delivery charge is until you key in all your card details which is a bit strange ! Anyone know where the best place is to get one at the 159 price ?
    Amazon seem to have a strange aversion to properly selling any Android tablets that aren't the Kindle Fire :)
  • steve242526 28 Nov 2012 13:51:27 134 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the help guys ! I thought the same about Amazon. They really don't seem to like competition do they ?
  • eleven63 30 Nov 2012 21:06:31 1,647 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Update to 4.2.1 does seem to improve things.

Anyway, back to beer :)

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• BinaryBob101 1 Dec 2012 15:41:28 24,449 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got my early Christmas present from my wonderful wife. What a brilliant bit of kit, love it so far.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• steve242526 2 Dec 2012 01:45:30 134 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Just got my early Christmas present from my wonderful wife. What a brilliant bit of kit, love it so far.
    It's great ain't it ? Maybe an iPads better, I don't know. But I know my Nexus does just what I need it to and that's enough for me. Got films and TV series stories on it if I need them, complete comic collections, my Kindle purchases, games, and more. And still got 16.5 GB left to play with !
  • Deleted user 2 December 2012 13:13:56
    I'm going to get one of these for my girlfriend for Christmas, I'm thinking of the 16gb one, is there absolutely no memory card option for these things? I just saw on the review thread that someone had a 64gb usb card that worked fine. Is this true?

The tablet sounds just the ticket but I'm worried about her running out of memory, I'd get the 32gb version if not just to be safe.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Dec 2012 13:16:07 39,791 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Nexus 7 has no memory card slot at all. The only input port is for the USB cable.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• BinaryBob101 2 Dec 2012 13:19:57 24,449 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Adam, you can root the device and then use external storage as I have.

It takes a about twenty minutes and must be piss easy if I can do it.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Stranded87 2 Dec 2012 13:26:58 1,009 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You don't even need to root it if you just want to play stuff off external storage, just get this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en

If you want to be able to copy/move things directly between storage devices and the tablet though then I think you still need to root it.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2012 13:27:48
    What is this rooting you speak of? Will it impact my warranty. I am an absolute technotard, I can turn my xbox on and that's about it. I struggle with light switches sometimes.
  • BinaryBob101 2 Dec 2012 20:03:12 24,449 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I'm a retard too with that kind of stuff, but if you want to use an SD card, or a stick as external storage then you really will need to root your Nexus.

It *does* invalidate the warranty, however, it is a soft mod, so you can roll back to factory settings at any point and nobody will know the wiser.

Idiots guide here:

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 20:03:47 02-12-2012

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• MrSensible 2 Dec 2012 23:23:43 25,382 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered a 32gb version but have to wait until Christmas as it's a gift from my girlfriend... bugger! Going to have to trawl through this thread looking at different cases now methinks.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 18:02:37
    Anyone got anything to say about the Nexus 7 as a general browser/paper reader with experience owning an iPad? Seriously interested in that Times sub offer (as it was a great digital edition on the iPad).
  • Stranded87 6 Dec 2012 18:50:49 1,009 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 You don't need to root, I watch videos from a USB stick all the time and i'm not rooted, just use the app I linked in my last post.
  • TheSaint 6 Dec 2012 18:58:00 14,833 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use that app as well it works perfectly without rooting.
  • Kilters 6 Dec 2012 20:06:24 579 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mowgli Sold my iPad on the back of getting a nexus 7. The things I miss from iPad, are the build quality and some apps (mainly games).
    Everything else is better though. In terms of browsing you have plenty of browsers to choose from. I also find the form factor perfect for reading and taking on trips.
    The biggest plus is that the device will do what you want unlike apple gear. You can customize to your hearts content. If you use Google services then I would recommend over iPad in a heartbeat.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 20:16:11
    Cheers, sounds good. I do like the look of the smaller form factor but am concerned it is a bit narrow. Used to Android now and although it can be a massive pain in the tits it won't be such a problem on a tablet I imagine. Going for it.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Dec 2012 21:30:36 4,025 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have a nexus 7 thats my xmas present. It's lovely to hold when reading. I use pocket for saved articles/stories, greader cached news, aldiko for books and some comic app.

I used to have the original ipad and then a xoom and they were both brilliant devices but they're too big to hold and use comfortably. Always founs myself laying them down. The 7inch form factor is definately the sweet spot for use and portability.

The only thing id like now are a few more apps that take advantage of the screen estate rather than upscaling.

On a side note ive finally got my matte anti glare screen protector for it so ive taken it out of the plastic wrap and applied it. It is gorgeous.

• Page

of 59 First / Last