Questions about rooting

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • twelveways 27 Jun 2012 16:45:20 4,193 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi,

I have a Sony ericson Arc S (LT18i) and I would like to root it. I dont know anything about the process though so I was hoping some kind peeps here might be able to answer a few questions.

1. The reason I want to root it is because I have loads of apps on there that came with it that I can't delete, they take up memory (and the phone does not have alot of memory) and some of them turn on automatically using up my ram (which again is limited). I've heard that if my phone is rooted then I can delete these, is that true?

2. Can my phone even be rooted? I'm running Android 2.3.4 and the build number is 4.0.2.A.0.62

3. Once rooted, will I be able to upgrade Android to later versions?

4. How likely is it that my phone will become unusable?

5. Are there any other advantages to having a rooted phone?

Thanks for any help :)
  • von_Doll 27 Jun 2012 16:49:11 2,115 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I rooted my Galaxy S when I got it to get rid of the bloadware.

Was a much more simple process in practice than a brief glance at the online guides made it out to be.
  • CosmicFuzz 27 Jun 2012 16:52:08 25,637 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I rooted my old Nokia when I upgraded and it was a disaster. Been three years now and not even a sign of a flower.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• kinky_mong 27 Jun 2012 16:52:55 10,867 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any Australians reading this thread will have a field day!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• billythekid 27 Jun 2012 16:53:36 11,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FHUTA
  • Fake_Blood 27 Jun 2012 16:55:43 4,454 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=963

Good starting point, you have some reading to do.
  • heyyo 27 Jun 2012 16:59:03 14,369 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I asked this in the Android but i'll ask again here - does rooting void the warranty?
  • twelveways 27 Jun 2012 17:09:10 4,193 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read that it does void the warranty however Sony have still replaced/fixed phones that have been faulty in an unrelated way.
  • Metalfish 27 Jun 2012 17:13:21 8,874 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It seems the jokes I came in here to make have already been taken. Ho hum.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2012 21:16:30
    @heyyo If you follow the instructions at XDA, you will be able to unroot the phone too at a later stage. And if you put a custom rom on, you'll be able to re-load the stock Sony rom too. So for both those options, you can reverse what you have done if you need to send it in for repair or whatever.

The only thing I don't think is reversable is unlocking the bootloader - which is needed for certain customisations on some (or all ?) of the Sony Xperia phones. Sony have been working with devs to allow even the bootloader unlocking and have lots of stuff on their site (instructions, etc, and the unique code you would need to unlock the bootloader). Having said that, you don't need to unlock the bootloader these days, to just get root.
  • RedSparrows 28 Jun 2012 09:40:14 24,248 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    It seems the jokes I came in here to make have already been taken. Ho hum.
  • heyyo 28 Jun 2012 10:30:47 14,369 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @oldgregg Thanks for that post
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next