Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wobbly bob is Greg Wallace

Speak the truth hussy!

• wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:22:26 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    The Burgers all look absolutely fantastic!

Bob how are you actually making the beef patty's? I need to make some of these pronto!
    Hi, if you want to have a go here are my suggestions :-) There are a few things to consider.

MEAT:
    I would say, as with most things you can cook, that the quality of ingredients is vitally important. I use ground beef from East London Steak Co. It's well flavored and has a good fat content. I use it because they slaughter and mince the meat themselves from a single animal so you will be able to cook it medium or medium well. I personally think that's important to keep it juicy and you need to cook it to medium well at least. However, that said, it's your burger so cook it however you like it and don't let anybody tell you different! :-)

So either buy ELSCO mince or grind it yourself. In the new year I would really like to buy a meat grinder and start grinding my own beef. Another very good alternative is The Upminster burgers also from ELSCO. They contain short rib and bone marrow. I highly recommend them! Sometimes I use them if I can't be arsed making my own or simply because I like a change since they taste different to the ones I make myself. Again, you can cook this to rare or medium rare. The site has cooking instructions and I recommend following them since they yield good results.

If you use a supermarket meat then don't do it rare. Make sure the burger is fully cooked all the way through. The mince from the supermarket contains many different animals so the chance of ecoli being mixed up all through the beef is quite high where as if you ground it yourself or use somebody like ELSCO then there will be very little chance because it's only the outside of the animal that contains anything harmful. Of course it's very important to make sure that your meat is cooked properly. There is a difference between rare and not raw. Make sure it's properly cooked. If in doubt error on the side of caution :-)

Whatever meat you use:

1) high fat content is important: bastes the meat as it cooks ( keeping it juicy ) and imparts flavour. Go for 20 percent fat to as high as 40 percent fat content.

2) let the meat come to room temp so you get an evenly cooked burger and you don't have to cook the hell out of it for it to be cooked in the middle.

3) only season the outside ( or the salt draws out the moisture ) and then only just seconds before you are going to cook it.

4) course ground is best.

5) NEVER, for the love of god - and you see so many tv chefs and people that should know better telling you to include a binder but neverput any sort of binder into the meat. So no eggs, flour, polenta and so on. NO! It ruins the burger. You ruin the texture and taste by doing that. If your burger has a high enough fat content it will stick together perfectly fine. In fact, when I have had nothing else to hand I have used 10 percent fat mince and it still binds together. Just no.

METHOD:

OK so you have your mince and it's at room temperature. now, this is the easy bit! Take your mince. I usually go for 250g of mince for 2 beef patties so that will give you roughly a quarter pounder.

I personally like to add a splash of soy sauce because having some liquid in the meat helps to keep it juicy. I sometimes add tiny flecks of butter ( not too much or it will wash away the flavours of your beef ) so that also helps to baste the meat as it cooks. It's important not to add a whole lot of crap as some recipes sometimes call for. Your beef Pattie should just pretty much be beef or 99.8 percent beef. If you start adding a lot of other crap to it then, IMHO, it's a fancy meatball and not a burger.

Important point: You want to handle your meat ( ooer ) as little as you can. Divide it into 2 ( or however many you are making ) patties very gently and bring them to a burger shape. Do this very gently and very lightly. You should have the burger as loose as you can make it with the least pressing. You will think it won't bind and fall apart but trust me it will be fine as long as your fat ratio is high enough. The lighter you pack the meat the better the burger will be in texture and moister, too.

Season your burger very well and place onto a hot griddle or pan. I like to smear some butter onto the surface of the griddle or pan because it seems to make the burger richer. Flip once and only once. The more you handle it the more juices you will lose. And don't squish it down with your spatula because again you are just pressing out the juices. Season the other side of your beef pattie when you are ready to flip ( carefully - and no pressing ) and cook the other side.

Your cooking time will depend quite a bit on a lot of things so you will have to do a lot of trial and error. Just experiment to get it just right. It depends on, for example, the density of your grind, the temperature of the room, the efficiency your chosen cooking apparatus, the material and type of pan you are using, the thickness of your beef pattie and so on. Also, of course, it depends on your well dowe you want your burger. I normally go for 8 minuets ( 4 each side ) as this chars the outside but leaves the inside nice and pink. As I said though it depends on a whole lot of things and I would urge you to maybe go as much as 12 or even higher at first just to get a handle on how your set up/mince cooks. This might take a few goes to get the times exact. Like I said, if you are using supermarket mince then cook it a so it's well done so maybe 14 mins at the very least and check by cutting into it and testing it's hot before you eat it. Be sure it's cooked all the way though. Remeber you want it rare ( for self ground/elsco/reputable others) and not raw! You might end up with hocky pucks from over cooking it or pressing too much but after a few tries ( or first time with talent or luck ) you will have a juicy tender burger! So if at first you are not happy with the results keep trying and it will be to how you like it.

Lastly, as with all meat it's very important to let it rest. Put it in covered in a warm place and leave it for 10 to 15 minuets. If you want cheese melted onto it then just place the cheese on top and the residual heat should begin to melt it. If you require more get your grill hot and then give it like a minuet under there.

Build your burger!

MUNCH! MUNCH! MUNCH!

I hope that helps. Enjoy :-)

MUNCH!
  • spamdangled 17 Dec 2012 17:24:36 27,197 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bob, you ever tried Venison Burgers? They're fucking amazing.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• IMO 17 Dec 2012 17:27:16 5,217 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wobbly for SPOTY.
  • wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:29:40 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Wobbly bob is Greg Wallace
    O_o

( done in my best cockney London accent )

PHWAR! LOOK AT THAT BURGER! It's so juicy I could take it in the back room and av a dirty shag with it! Special SAAAAAUCE!
  • wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:31:16 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Love Venison :-)

I have had kangeroo and bison burgers too!
  • spamdangled 17 Dec 2012 17:32:40 27,197 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kangaroo is awesome.

Ostrich is also bloody tasty.

I do wonder how many of those stunning burgers could be made even better by substituting beef for another meat.

Hell, the Crabbie Louie you're making next weeks sounds perfect for Alligator.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:35:16 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't had ostrich meat or alligator meat, yet. Isn't alligator supposed to taste like chicken? I would love to try them though! I'm going to munch my way though the animal kingdom!
  • wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:38:34 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mrpon 17 Dec 2012 17:38:52 27,646 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I refuse to believe Ostrich is tasty.

/trytheveal

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:41:53 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Recommend right clicking and opening the image in a new tab, I nearly had a heart attack!!

You've gone from just okay burgers to totally usurping the originals!!!
    Cheers! I must admit it looks better with the flash. Ahem... Although I do miss that Wimpy 70's vibe lol
  • wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:47:31 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    The Camelot looks stupendous. I could definitely go for that bad boy, also loving the commitment, making your own brioche rolls? Brilliant.
    Cheers! You should try it. It's fecking gorgeous and that's saying something considering I have had some fecking tasty beasts so far :-)

On the brioche rolls: I got nevous so the other half kindly got me some last min rolls from the shop in case they didn't come out right lol But it came out well, fortunately and it was well worth the effort.
  • wobbly_Bob 17 Dec 2012 17:50:04 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I may go to gourmet burger in your honor tomorrow Wobbly.
    Stride in there with your head high and a swagger in your step and order the biggest baddest most loaded out monster they got. With Fries. Tell em. Wobbly Bob sent you!
  • spamdangled 17 Dec 2012 17:52:23 27,197 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    I haven't had ostrich meat or alligator meat, yet. Isn't alligator supposed to taste like chicken? I would love to try them though! I'm going to munch my way though the animal kingdom!
    Ostrich is great, not too dissimilar from Kangaroo but with quite a steaky flavour and texture.

Alligator is a bit like chicken yeah, but again it's much meatier in its texture and has a slightly richer taste.

They're both things which are pretty hard to describe really.

• spamdangled 17 Dec 2012 17:53:08 27,197 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Someone should make a Cassowary burger.

• wobbly_Bob 6 Jan 2013 15:01:53 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AND... I'm back!

After the Christmas break and new year, with all it's health food and frivolity, it's time to get back to the serious business of burgers :-D

It's number 17 - The Crabby Louie

A 1/4 freshy ground beef patty with white cornish crab meat, ripe avocado, tomatoes, and 2 slices of monterey jack cheese in a bun with home made camarilised onion mayonaise. the original

NOTES: The original called for lettuce but... i forgot to get it lol

I got myself a meat grinder ( the difference is amazing - I will post details in the burger appreciation thread ) - the meat I used in the burger was freshly ground well marbled rib eye.

The cheese looks really yellow in this shot but it is monterey jack rather than the cheddar it resembles.

The original called for sour dough roll, but I just used a normal bun.

Another really great burger, for some reason the crab and avocado flavours work really well together. The 2 flavours are not ones I ever really pictured together but they work great and bring some interesting flavours mingling with the juicy beef patty. As with nearly all the other burgers it all works together so well. The cheese is pretty mild so the gooey cheese mingles with the rich beefy goodness and the fresh clean flavours of the avocardo and crab perfectly counter the cheese and beef. The tangy onion mayo helps with the feeling of richness. With the crab, beef, 2 slices of cheese, and onion mayanoise this feels like quite a rich burger. I liked this burger but not as much as some of the others.

Next week... It's got 2 beef patties, loads of swiss cheese and a whole lot of mushrooms... It's The Pioneer!!!
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Jan 2013 15:27:45 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @GoodFella - Cheers! I would say it's the Camelot! The room temperature gooey Camembert cheese was a revelation and worked so well in terms of flavour with the beef. The other ingredients were wonderful there too and worked so well as a whole. Second place I would say the Firehouse because I do love me some chilli :-)

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 15:38:51 06-01-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Jan 2013 15:38:26 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah yeah sorry my bad lol Let me edit my original post. That's what I meant. Camembert :)
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Jan 2013 16:22:34 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im both looking forward to it and dreading it lol I'm thinking in the eternal battle of man Vs food the Macho Nacho is gonna win! But yeah looks great :-D
  • monkehhh 6 Jan 2013 16:24:24 3,129 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "4 to 8 Beef Patties" :)
  • Razz 6 Jan 2013 16:52:40 59,994 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Vortex808 6 Jan 2013 17:08:53 6,566 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :)

wobbly_bob's taking it to the next level by getting the meat grinder now!

Having read your other post about it, I'm almost tempted to get one to try. Although it'd probably gather dust on top of a cupboard most of the time.
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Jan 2013 19:22:20 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2e4i8fo.jpg
    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/117/814/are-you-wizard.jpg
    A wizard never ears too few or too many burgers but eats precisely as many burgers as he means to!
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Jan 2013 19:25:04 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    :)

wobbly_bob's taking it to the next level by getting the meat grinder now!

Having read your other post about it, I'm almost tempted to get one to try. Although it'd probably gather dust on top of a cupboard most of the time.
    /devil on shoulder

Do it! Grinder is so worth it. I don't think it will have dust because you won't want to go back! The one I git us still on special offer on Argos... Just saying lol
  • Anthony_UK 6 Jan 2013 21:06:32 2,391 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob Thanks for the incredibly in depth reply, only just spotted it. I was expecting you to half say 'Tesco's extra special' but appears that isn't the case :)

I don't even have the words to describe your awesomeness... I bow to you.
  • wobbly_Bob 7 Jan 2013 10:24:22 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol @ tesco extra special. And you're welcome for the in depth reply! Hope it's useful :-)
  • Page

of 27 First / Last