Microsoft Surface Page 16

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• Ror1984 16 Jul 2013 22:21:30 2,811 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I dropped my Surface the other day. It landed right on a corner.

Dented my bloody floor.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Dizzy 16 Jul 2013 22:48:07 2,567 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    So what amazing app you want?
    Since you asked, there are at least twenty-eight apps on the very opening page on the App Store at present that you cannot officially (I do not count third party copies) get on a Windows Phone 8 so, I assume the same applies to Windows RT too?

I like Windows 8 and the phone side of things too, but I'd be quite lost without my iPad because of the marvellous selection of apps on offer.
    But WHAT apps? How many zillion you need?
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 00:13:35
    Dizzy wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    Since you asked, there are at least twenty-eight apps on the very opening page on the App Store at present that you cannot officially (I do not count third party copies) get on a Windows Phone 8 so, I assume the same applies to Windows RT too?

I like Windows 8 and the phone side of things too, but I'd be quite lost without my iPad because of the marvellous selection of apps on offer.
    A couple apps I use every day. Chrome, any.do, the times, kindle, pocket, Dropbox, Facebook. Are any of them on there?

Edited by mowgli at 00:14:12 17-07-2013
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 00:18:41
    A friend of mine whipped out an RT the other day, asking if I could help them with some leaflet design. After flicking through the store looking for a photoshop or illustrator clone I gave up and told them to just do it in Word and ignore the graphics. It just feels so unbelievably limited.
  • The-Bodybuilder 17 Jul 2013 10:32:30 14,052 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is a (gimped) PhotoShop app there.
  • THFourteen 17 Jul 2013 10:37:45 32,855 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    @CharlieStCloud So what amazing app you want?
    XCOM.
  • Deleted user 17 July 2013 16:52:41
    mowgli wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:

A couple apps I use every day. Chrome, any.do, the times, kindle, pocket, Dropbox, Facebook. Are any of them on there?
    ??
  • Baihu1983 17 Jul 2013 16:55:15 3,271 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dizzy You know all those crappy knock offs of the few apps actually worth a damn.
  • ronuds 18 Jul 2013 22:14:06 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MS lost a few dollars on Surface RT this quarter.

A "few" being $900 MILLION!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/18/4535976/microsoft-lost-900-million-on-surface-rt

Sorry... M$
  • Deleted user 18 July 2013 22:17:36
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    There is a (gimped) PhotoShop app there.
    It's incredibly gimped. It's basically just photo touch-ups.
  • oceanmotion 28 Jul 2013 15:56:10 15,641 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone use Sky Go on Surface RT?

I've just tried, there is no app which is expected but a browser should you would think.

Well, tried the metro browser, requires silverlight plug in. So, I remember the desktop IE being more open, nope, requires silverlight.

Lets see it installs Silverlight.

Fail, app can't run on this PC.

Fucking hell, what a mess. You can't do fucking anything.

They should lose 5 billion!

Edit - After searching, it doesn't work. What a piece of junk. Don't even blame evil Sky, Microsoft pushing their proprietary shite to content providers, kill Silverlight development yet it remains and don't even support it at the basic level on a bloody browser. What a joke.

Edited by oceanmotion at 16:08:33 28-07-2013
  • Baihu1983 28 Jul 2013 16:40:53 3,271 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is it the tablet? I only ask cause Ive read a lot of people pissed at Sky Go for a bucket load of issues.
  • oceanmotion 28 Jul 2013 17:05:14 15,641 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They are both tablets/pc. RT version is the gimped one, Pro version is just like any other Windows PC and Sky Go works no problems on normal Windows browsers.

Microsoft are just morons. Pushing exclusive Silverlight partnerships then canning Silverlight and wonder why it bites them in the arse later.

Could Sky make Sky Go app for Windows, sure but a flagship Microsoft device should still be able to offer the service through the browser like any other PC does right now. Idiots. Christ, there must be so many websites, even ones involving Microsoft that just don't work on Surface RT because they still require Silverlight. The result is employees probably wouldn't be caught dead with one. Bravo Microsoft.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2013 17:14:54
    I thought silver light was an ms thing?
  • Anthony_UK 28 Jul 2013 17:44:36 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still really tempted, but Microsoft are really hard to get behind at times. Going up against the ipad with the same price point with the least informative ad campaign ever, while making it available online and to a few specific stores only, was just plain stupid.

That said, having just installed Windows 8.1 preview, I have to say that even more so than ever, I'd love a surface, but they've just priced the Pro version too high.

When I bought this for 350, they really do need to look at there prices.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/11-6-inch-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Integrated-Graphics/dp/B009YUF4ZS/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1375029156&sr=1-4&keywords=asus+touchscreen

Edited by Anthony_UK at 17:49:09 28-07-2013
  • Ror1984 28 Jul 2013 18:02:20 2,811 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Anthony_UK That is pretty damn cheap, but to be fair it does have a weaker processor, a lower resolution screen and no digitizer.

I bought a comparable tablet(albeit with a larger, lower-res screen and older i5) about two years ago and it cost me 1000.

• Dizzy 28 Jul 2013 18:44:34 2,567 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:

Most of them are there except Chrome. Did you even look? FB is build in BTW.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2013 18:53:42
    @Dizzy Oh, can you browse the Windows rt app store remotely?

Edited by mowgli at 20:37:34 28-07-2013
  • nickthegun 28 Jul 2013 19:26:04 58,782 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I thought silver light was an ms thing?
    It is and they havent canned it, its still very much a thing.

It is insane how RT doesnt support it, though.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 28 July 2013 20:36:37
    More evidence of how utterly useless ms are I guess. If you are going to close it down so much at least make sure your support the bloody thing yourself.
  • Baihu1983 4 Aug 2013 19:26:46 3,271 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone got one of these?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/microsoft-surface-rt-10-6-convertible-tablet-32-gb-21289376-pdt.html

Seems like a good price.
  • Ror1984 4 Aug 2013 19:59:05 2,811 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Anyone got one of these?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/microsoft-surface-rt-10-6-convertible-tablet-32-gb-21289376-pdt.html

Seems like a good price.
    Depends what you want it for, as the app store might not have what you want/need. I don't really have a need for many apps, so I use my Surface for browsing, music, video and the odd game. Mine cost about double that (though it is a 64GB model with a touch cover, bought at launch), and I'm more than happy with it. I love the Win 8 UI on a touchscreen as well, I prefer it to everything else I've tried, and 8.1 makes it all a bit nicer, too.

As for build quality, the tablet is really solid; I mentioned at the top of the page that I dropped it a while back - it fell directly onto a corner on a wood floor, and the only damage was done to the floor.

If it does everything you want it to do it's more than worth 280.

• Baihu1983 5 Aug 2013 08:12:27 3,271 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't need many apps and going by the WP market place they have the few I would use so its mainly for music,video and the odd internet browsing.

I assume I can put my music onto it and transfer them to my W8P?

Edited by Baihu1983 at 12:08:32 05-08-2013
  • Ror1984 5 Aug 2013 13:01:15 2,811 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Baihu1983 It's a different app store, but there are some apps that are on both (TV Catchup and MetroTube for instance, though I use YouTube+ so I can download videos to watch later).

You can use a WP8 app or simply drag and drop files onto your WP from the desktop library. Though as it's a 32GB model you might want to check out how much free space you'll get. I'm sure I read you can reclaim a chunk of space if you don't want to keep Office on there, but I can't remember if that's actually the case, so do a bit of searching.

It does have a MicroSD slot, but typically it won't add media from the card to the libraries (making them inaccessible to Metro apps, for instance). There is a workaround, though.

• Mageme 5 Aug 2013 13:19:59 1,990 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was asking the guy in my IT department last week about Windows tablets and he advised against anything running RT.

He gave a just-about-acceptable nod to the Vivotab (ME400C, going cheapo in argos at the moment) but didn't actively recommend it at all over the Surface Pro or Sony T series laptops. Guess you get what you pay for really.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Ror1984 5 Aug 2013 13:34:07 2,811 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mageme It just depends what you want I think - if you need to run legacy programs, then obviously an RT machine is not going to cut it. If you just want it for media, browsing, and maybe doing the odd bit of work in Office, then for the price it's fine.

I wouldn't want an Atom-powered machine right now - I'd always be thinking I might as well have bought a more powerful machine if I was going to buy a full PC (like when I tried, in vain, to get The Witcher running on my Asus EP121...), so RT being limited kind of made the decision for me. It has its uses, and my laptop has its own.

• Baihu1983 5 Aug 2013 13:40:32 3,271 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Apparently you get 16GB of the 32GB.
  • Ror1984 5 Aug 2013 13:48:44 2,811 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Baihu1983 Hmm, I thought it was something like that. You can get back another 3.5GB by creating a USB recovery drive and deleting that partition (see here).

• Baihu1983 5 Aug 2013 16:11:44 3,271 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ror1984 16GB would actually be enough for me.

As far as downloading stuff for my phone I could simply remove them from the tablet once Ive transferred them over.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2013 16:26:54
    It's slow and gimped, which is a shame as the idea behind it is good. Have they came up with a purpose for the desktop yet?
  • Page

of 21 First / Last