Microsoft Surface Page 12

  • Page

    of 21 First / Last

  • jellyhead 17 Oct 2012 14:36:30 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It'd take the iPad Mini doing well for MS to release a 7" version. This is their ideal spec hardware brought out because the OEMs were racing to be the cheapest in the market. It's why i didn't go for a tablet, they were all much-of-a-muchness and underpowered in my opinion.

    I want to see the specs and prices for the Pro models released soon.

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • TheSaint 17 Oct 2012 14:41:14 14,199 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They should have made it a tenner more that the equivalent iPads and then claimed that people who brought an iPad just couldn't afford a surface.

    That would have really pissed off the Apple fanboys.
  • jellyhead 17 Oct 2012 14:44:30 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the Apple fanboys would rather save the tenner and use it to buy a spiced skinny mocha latte and a nice turtle neck jumper* ;)


    * both costing well more than a tenner but my point stands. Kinda.

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • oceanmotion 17 Oct 2012 14:45:53 15,647 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure the UI would work on a 7 inch that well, gimped desktop that is.
  • jellyhead 17 Oct 2012 14:50:25 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it'll work on 10.6"

    Wahay! I'm here all week folks! :)

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Carlo 17 Oct 2012 14:54:12 17,948 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Not sure the UI would work on a 7 inch that well, gimped desktop that is.
    The mobile phones with the same UI are smaller than 5" aren't they?

    PSN ID: Djini

  • oceanmotion 17 Oct 2012 14:56:53 15,647 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I mean the old fashioned desktop.
  • Peew971 17 Oct 2012 15:45:04 4,703 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesn't matter because the desktop is useless in Windows RT, it's only there for file management and Office.
  • Razz 17 Oct 2012 15:45:09 60,750 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Windows 8 RT down't have the old fashioned desktop, all metro baby B)

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • Peew971 18 Oct 2012 11:43:46 4,703 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Windows 8 RT down't have the old fashioned desktop, all metro baby B)
    It does have it but it's pointless because you can't install any legacy software on RT.
  • Razz 18 Oct 2012 11:51:09 60,750 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really, I thought only the Pro version would have Desktop. As you say, it would be absolutely useless on the Surface Metro tablets.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Oct 2012 11:54:33 39,384 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not so sure it's useless...why bother having it in there at all?

    Why not just a metro file management app and an office mode?

    Perhaps they have something up their sleeves...perhaps they're just lazy tossers. You never know with MS.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • LetsGo 18 Oct 2012 12:05:55 5,161 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surface resolution is 1366x768 compared to iPads 2048x1536!

    Oh dear LOL! Who makes these decisions?
  • oceanmotion 18 Oct 2012 12:21:20 15,647 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Surface resolution is 1366x768 compared to iPads 2048x1536!

    Oh dear LOL! Who makes these decisions?
    Worth a read

    Higher resolution is nice to have but don't think it is the end of the world when companies have different tech approaches. It isn't 800x600 nor some professional workstation that needs it.
  • ronuds 18 Oct 2012 14:59:34 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's BS from MS is what that is.
  • midnight_walker 18 Oct 2012 15:13:12 1,857 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think it is. Most laptops come with 1366x768 screen res, and people are happy. Why is it such a big deal on a tablet? Why does a tablet need 2048x1536 to be considered viable when almost all displays in the world regardless of size run on a lower res?
  • sport 18 Oct 2012 15:15:09 12,524 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    4096x3072 or GTFO!!!
  • ronuds 18 Oct 2012 15:20:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never said it was a big deal - only that his explanation is nonsense. What is he going to say, though?

    I went to pre-order for laughs - if you want the 64gb, which automatically comes with a kb, and you want to get one of the better kbs, you still pay full price for the better kb. There's no, like, credit for obviously not needing the default kb. What kind of crap is that?
  • Anthony_UK 20 Oct 2012 23:08:03 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So tempted to Pre order one of these, but admitidly I'm a little unsure as to how limited the RT will be.

    In one mind, Microsoft office with a keyboard and windows file manager, plus the metro interface for touch seems ideal for what I'd use it for.

    But when it comes to things like DVD's and transferring videos for example, other than the obvious lack of a DVD drive, would it be possible to connect a external drive to it and transfer/rip videos?
  • Gradius 21 Oct 2012 10:04:56 2,305 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually am disappointed by the 1366x768 res, I currently use a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, with a res of 1280x800, it's a nice enough display, but when comparing it to the iPad3 the difference is massively noticeable, browsing photos on the 'retina' display is honestly a real pleasure, the only reason I didn't buy the iPad was because I prefer the open nature of Android, but the iPads display did seriously tempt me.

    I also think a higher res display is more important on a tablet because you're generally going to be holding it a lot closer than you might perhaps with a laptop, etc. I do think this is pretty short sighted by Microsoft, the next Nexus tablet is rumoured to be a 10" tab with a (iPad beating) 2560x1600 display, so it pretty much looks like this is the way it's going for this type of device...Unless you're Microsoft, that is.
  • Peew971 24 Oct 2012 15:43:58 4,703 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reviews are in (too many to link) and to make it short, the hardware is great, the software needs some polish and the ecosystem is extremely lacking.
    Surface 2 will probably be a better buy although if I come upon a bargain I'll jump right in.
  • oceanmotion 24 Oct 2012 16:42:17 15,647 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never noticed before the review pics and video but widescreen doesn't look right at all for some reason in portrait mode. Also looks a little short landscaped too, maybe I'm just imagining that one now.
  • phAge 24 Oct 2012 21:59:55 24,336 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gradius wrote:
    I actually am disappointed by the 1366x768 res, I currently use a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, with a res of 1280x800, it's a nice enough display, but when comparing it to the iPad3 the difference is massively noticeable, browsing photos on the 'retina' display is honestly a real pleasure, the only reason I didn't buy the iPad was because I prefer the open nature of Android, but the iPads display did seriously tempt me.

    I also think a higher res display is more important on a tablet because you're generally going to be holding it a lot closer than you might perhaps with a laptop, etc. I do think this is pretty short sighted by Microsoft, the next Nexus tablet is rumoured to be a 10" tab with a (iPad beating) 2560x1600 display, so it pretty much looks like this is the way it's going for this type of device...Unless you're Microsoft, that is.
    Not having seen a Surface myself I have no idea if it's true, but most reviews I've read seem to agree that while the lower res *is* noticeable, the screen has other qualities (low glare, high brightness, great viewing angles and ClearType) that mostly make up for it.

    I'm puzzled by the seemingly differing reports on the performance of the UI, hoever: some reviewers claim that it runs butter-smooth, while others are suposedly experienceing quite a bit of sluggishnes.

    I might seriousy consider this if I can find one on the cheap. With a Danish keyboard, that is.
  • Peew971 26 Oct 2012 23:37:53 4,703 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So did anyone buy one on release?
  • Anthony_UK 27 Oct 2012 01:20:46 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm going to visit the Trafford Centre over the weekend in effort to try and see one in the flesh, it's an awful lot of money to spend on something I've never used or felt first hand.

    That said, there appears to be a delay in the UK shipment so MS is giving people who pre order a 50 voucher for the app store as a way of apologising... Sweetens the deal a little.

    Edited by Anthony_UK at 01:21:06 27-10-2012
  • Deleted user 27 October 2012 02:03:03
    jellyhead wrote:
    I think the Apple fanboys would rather save the tenner and use it to buy a spiced skinny mocha latte and a nice turtle neck jumper* ;)


    * both costing well more than a tenner but my point stands. Kinda.
    :). I'd rather use something not shit with a well revised os and a brilliant App Store too, not really sure why people would choose this over iPad or nexus, even kindle
  • anon_ 27 Oct 2012 03:21:15 211 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I'm going to visit the Trafford Centre over the weekend in effort to try and see one in the flesh, it's an awful lot of money to spend on something I've never used or felt first hand.
    I guess I pre-ordered one sight unseen. I really like Windows Phone, so I already know I will enjoy the Surface RT experience.

    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I'd rather use something not shit with a well revised os and a brilliant App Store too, not really sure why people would choose this over iPad or nexus, even kindle
    I own a Windows Phone and an Xbox 360. Surface completes the set. Synchronicity.

    And besides, give it 6 months to a year and the Windows Store will have all the major apps, and more. The inevitable retail success of Windows 8 makes it, well, inevitable. The likes of Netflix, Firefox, Google Search, Kindle, etc are already on it, whereas it took comparatively longer for them to make their way onto Windows Phone.
  • Dirtbox 27 Oct 2012 03:49:10 77,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wonder if Metrospec, the speccy emulator comes to it.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Peew971 28 Oct 2012 20:02:48 4,703 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having downloaded Windows 8 today I can say I'm quite interested in Surface but not until the Store has grown. Seems to be selling well in the US which is a good thing.
  • Page

    of 21 First / Last

Log in or register to reply