Microsoft Surface Page 7

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• silentbob 20 Jun 2012 13:18:27 29,025 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah. This isn't a revision of an existing platform, it's an entirely new platform.

They need to generate buzz for the product line in order to generate interest from developers and consumers alike. It's not far off, September-ish from what they've said.

Don't forget it needs to coincide with the rest of the Windows 8 launches they have planned too. Logistically, this must be far bigger a headache than any Apple launch.

Edited by silentbob at 13:19:29 20-06-2012

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• mrpon 20 Jun 2012 13:18:44 29,391 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure how a keyboard cover would work with the existing iPads without some kind of retro fit kickstand. But then I'm no designer.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• sport 20 Jun 2012 13:18:59 12,798 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    I also think the screen protector/keyboard hybrid is great. It's such an obvious idea, it's weird Apple haven't already done it.
    The big problem MS will have is that they've already announced it and... where is it? Nowadays you really have to announce this stuff a week or so before launch - otherwise it'll either already seem like old news when it does finally come out or someone will have copied it already.
    Like the Wii U.
  • Ziz0u 20 Jun 2012 13:20:24 8,552 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But will there be a new one every year like with the iPad?
  • THFourteen 20 Jun 2012 13:21:55 34,184 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Why does that bother people so much? Apart from consoles, there are new everythings every year. Phones, Laptops, PCs etc. Nothing stands still.
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 13:22:32 29,025 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes. But no.

Unlike Apple, MS have OEMs for constant product updates on this platform.

• disusedgenius 20 Jun 2012 13:22:48 5,513 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a new platform for them, maybe - as far as I'm concerned it's just another tablet option. Creating buzz for developers and consumers is a different thing and sustaining the consumer buzz for an entire 3+ months is going to be very, very tough.

Edit: That actually counts for Windows 8 as well, as it goes.

Edited by disusedgenius at 13:23:27 20-06-2012
  • THFourteen 20 Jun 2012 13:22:55 34,184 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Not sure how a keyboard cover would work with the existing iPads without some kind of retro fit kickstand. But then I'm no designer.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/18/logitech-ultrathin-keyboard-cover/
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 13:23:18 29,025 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Why does that bother people so much? Apart from consoles, there are new everythings every year. Phones, Laptops, PCs etc. Nothing stands still.
    Quite. If anything's a it's a resounding positive that there is momentum in a platform.

• mrpon 20 Jun 2012 13:24:28 29,391 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah adjustable hinges, of course!

• Ziz0u 20 Jun 2012 13:24:41 8,552 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Doesn't bother me. Was a genuine question. While I prefer the longer life cycles of consoles and don't buy new iterations every year (still using an iPad 1) - I don't judge those who do.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2012 13:25:50
    mrpon wrote:
    Linky
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 13:28:22 29,025 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    It's a new platform for them, maybe - as far as I'm concerned it's just another tablet option. Creating buzz for developers and consumers is a different thing and sustaining the consumer buzz for an entire 3+ months is going to be very, very tough.

Edit: That actually counts for Windows 8 as well, as it goes.
    When a product is as well received as this one, 3 months is just fine - if anything it allows more word of mouth to pass and pre-orders to build.

Anyway, I'm fully expecting for this to be the first in a raft of hardware announcements from OEMs.

I think people are making a mistake projecting one company's methodology for bringing to market onto another. This is a different kettle of fish.

• sanctusmortis 20 Jun 2012 15:10:14 9,704 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think they've instantly made a play to be big in the tablet market - Android is too fractured, viruses are prevalent, and so on, and I guess now we know why Office iOS has been rumoured so long yet never surfaced. I think this could be very successful, with the RT level competing with the low end as the Pro level takes on both laptops and the iPad.

It pretty much derails Apple's push to get the iPad into companies, too, as the ability to use proper PC software means they can use the same programs they normally use rather than close copies. Pages vs Word has already been proven to be hardly a battle, so by having Office they've already got a corner of the market secured.

Plus, this is just the Microsoft examples of the potential, and I'm sure there'll be companies making 10" 1080p RT tablets as well, and probably some stupidly large and overly powerful Pro tablet that costs a small yacht.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2012 15:12:28
    Just wish they'd done it sooner. Loads of fucking iPad in our place now.
  • Razz 20 Jun 2012 15:25:56 61,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If Microsoft includes OEMs, I hope they have a standard/minimum spec for RT and for Pro so there will be less fragmentation.

But from what I've read, Microsoft are going Apple style and not letting any OEM's manufacture Win8 tablets. o_O

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Adamical 20 Jun 2012 15:27:46 314 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So far all this tablet nonsense has done nothing to excite me, but the Surface looks fantastic.

The screen, the keyboard, the pen! I need one of these!
  • kalel 20 Jun 2012 15:28:21 89,143 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is going to be the Google Plus of tablets. Better, but nobody will give a fuck.
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Jun 2012 15:32:52 39,508 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    If Microsoft includes OEMs, I hope they have a standard/minimum spec for RT and for Pro so there will be less fragmentation.

But from what I've read, Microsoft are going Apple style and not letting any OEM's manufacture Win8 tablets. o_O
    No I think they're going more like apple and restricting the hardware to a standard spec, not like google and android. More like windows phone 7.

OEM's are still going to play a role I think.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• sport 20 Jun 2012 15:34:12 12,798 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    This is going to be the Google Plus of tablets. Better, but nobody will give a fuck.
    This isn't some software company with more money than sense, this is Microsoft!
  • mrpon 20 Jun 2012 15:35:34 29,391 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Adamical wrote:
    the pen!
    Huh?

• Feanor 20 Jun 2012 15:36:58 14,182 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:

You mean MS won't let OEM's make Surfaces, right?

OEMs have already announced Win8 tablets.

http://mashable.com/2012/06/18/surface-other-windows-tablets/
  • Deleted user 20 June 2012 15:39:17
    mrpon wrote:
    Adamical wrote:
    the pen!
    Huh?
    That's what's grabbing my attention. With a Note-style pressure-senstive stylus this is a tablet, a PC and a Cintiq
  • Razz 20 Jun 2012 15:41:59 61,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What pen?

• mrpon 20 Jun 2012 15:42:08 29,391 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Adamical wrote:
    the pen!
    Huh?
    That's what's grabbing my attention. With a Note-style pressure-senstive stylus this is a tablet, a PC and a Cintiq
    Just read about it now, thought they would've mentioned it on the official site.

• Adamical 20 Jun 2012 15:44:01 314 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Adamical wrote:
    the pen!
    Huh?
    Yup, as an artist, I need this shit.
  • Razz 20 Jun 2012 15:44:24 61,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Holy shit. MustnotbeanearlyadoptorMustnotbeanearlyadoptorMustnotbeanearlyadoptorMustnotbeanearlyadoptor

• DodgyPast 20 Jun 2012 15:44:41 8,518 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't realise sideloading was an option on RT.

Now I'm a lot more interested, since after the 360 I wouldn't have been betting it would be hackable and I hate walled gardens.
  • mal 20 Jun 2012 16:00:08 22,787 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Nah. This isn't a revision of an existing platform, it's an entirely new platform.

They need to generate buzz for the product line in order to generate interest from developers and consumers alike. It's not far off, September-ish from what they've said.

Don't forget it needs to coincide with the rest of the Windows 8 launches they have planned too. Logistically, this must be far bigger a headache than any Apple launch.
    Yes and no. I'm pretty sure MS have been building large parts of Windows for ARM for a number of years - Windows NT was originally cross-platform. You're right that in terms of getting external develepors to adopt the platform they're starting from scratch at a time when competitive platforms have a developed ecosystem (as they call it). Also, while this is not a new platform, it's unclear how long it's been release tested for a new product. But it's very comparable to when Apple turned MacOS X into the original iPhone OS.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Fab4 20 Jun 2012 16:09:50 6,143 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Adamical wrote:
    the pen!
    Huh?
    Cintiq my arse. I have a Cintiq and this will be nothing like it in terms of accuracy.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last