Microsoft Surface Page 6

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• nickthegun 20 Jun 2012 10:00:11 59,416 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    What's the betting Apple are working on a similar SmartCoverKeyboard?
    nailed on. I bet there are prototype covers with bluetooth transmitters in the hinges as we speak.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• mrpon 20 Jun 2012 10:03:54 28,738 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I don't get the keyboard. Tablets for me are not supposed to be like laptops or desktops.
    You use it to type on and characters appear on the screen.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• woodnotes 20 Jun 2012 10:05:43 4,923 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I don't get the keyboard. Tablets for me are not supposed to be like laptops or desktops.
    And it doesn't have to be. Without the keyboard cover attachement, it's just a tablet. But you can also use the exact same machine like a laptop. A hybrid. Best of both worlds.
  • woodnotes 20 Jun 2012 10:07:26 4,923 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    If MS were smart, they would just label the WRT version as "Surface" and the x86 version as "Surface Pro".

It certainly simplifies things for the lay people. "Surface covers all of your normal tablet needs. However if you want one for business and professional use, get the Surface Pro."

Simple, no?
    I thought this was already the case?
  • FWB 20 Jun 2012 10:11:31 44,193 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd rather they invest in improving the touch screen interface so that you don't need a physical keyboard.
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 10:15:35 28,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Get the pro version and it will run! :)
    Yes, but he wasn't.
    IMO unless you can afford the Pro version I wouldn't bother with the other version at all as the ipad will continue to walk all over things like it.

/fanboy
    You do realise Windows has a far richer source of applications than IOS could ever hope for yes? And all of them a UI tweak and recompile away.

The Epoch of Apple superiority in tablets is coming to an end I'd say. And that's from me, branded on multiple occasions (by fuckwits) an Apple fanboy.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• FWB 20 Jun 2012 10:17:48 44,193 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Assuming Surface doesn't crash every five minutes.
  • mikew1985 20 Jun 2012 10:18:15 12,654 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want the surface pro pretty bad but feel like I may need to wait for the 2nd gen
  • mcmonkeyplc 20 Jun 2012 11:10:47 39,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Yes, but he wasn't.
    IMO unless you can afford the Pro version I wouldn't bother with the other version at all as the ipad will continue to walk all over things like it.

/fanboy
    You do realise Windows has a far richer source of applications than IOS could ever hope for yes? And all of them a UI tweak and recompile away.

The Epoch of Apple superiority in tablets is coming to an end I'd say. And that's from me, branded on multiple occasions (by fuckwits) an Apple fanboy.
    I was not expecting you to say that! :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• THFourteen 20 Jun 2012 11:16:27 33,149 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Yes, but he wasn't.

/fanboy

Thats exactly my point though

Pro tablet = possible awesome, touchscreen windows, if it works and you can do things like play eye of the beholder and diablo 2 and hundreds of other old PC games on it, i will sell my ipad tomorrow.

RT tablet with Windows marketplace thingummybob is (currently) no match for ios. With the exception of if you REALLY need to run mobile office/word/excel i guess as that doesnt exist on iOS although Docs2Go and such are passable replacements.

but if the price of a pro tablet is 800-1000 its too much.
  • oceanmotion 20 Jun 2012 11:45:05 15,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Metro apps are platform free so any iOS advantage in user base is pretty much gone when Windows 8 and RT launch. The Windows app marketplace will just explode.
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 11:53:02 28,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Your casual skipping over Surface's killer apps are telling. Productivity is just one major area the RT will be far stronger at out of the box. Also highlighted by the emphasis on easily transportable keyboards - it's clear this is a gap MS have identified and are shooting for.

And I'm not really sure which marketplace you're currently basing your views on, but we won't actually know what's available for the device until it's actually released. Only then will you be able to make such a judgement. And even then, it won;t really be for another 12 months before we'll be able to gauge Windows RT momentum.

The bottom line is, Android tablets are failing, not because of form factor or even OS related issues (post ICS at least) but because there is so little compelling, tablet specific applications. With Windows RT you have a ready made developer community with proven, rich applications ready to be re-purposed for the device.

Will the developers rally round RT? I have no idea, but it's a far more attractive target for developers already schooled in Visual Studio and .Net technologies than IOS or ICS are AND they'll possibly have applications already which can be ported.

It'll take a while, but as long as MS don't fumble the ball on this and piss everyone off somehow, I can see this platform growing to become a proper IOS rival.

Gonna be an interesting 12 months though regardldess.

Edit: @THeleventeen or whoever

Edited by silentbob at 11:53:57 20-06-2012

• Deleted user 20 June 2012 11:53:08
    Is Visual Studio Express going to allow (re)compiling for Win8RT?

Edit: Yes, apparently

So you can download Visual Studio 2012 Express for free and be coding RT apps and Win8 desktop ones too. Nice.

Edited by Rhythm at 11:55:03 20-06-2012
  • mrpon 20 Jun 2012 11:57:11 28,738 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some more guff here Rhy.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 20 June 2012 11:58:41
    silentbob wrote:
    It'll take a while, but as long as MS don't fumble the ball on this and piss everyone off somehow, I can see this platform growing to become a proper IOS rival.

Gonna be an interesting 12 months though regardldess.
    I want to see how they'll handle the enterprise push. The Pro is instantly more attractive to any company interested in security. We can't use Apple kit here (data sensitive company) but Microsoft/Windows kit's fine. The Pro lets us supply our users with an iPad equivalent that already runs all the Windows apps we use (self-developed or otherwise) and also ticks the box of having supplied a nice lightweight laptop too.
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 11:59:03 28,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No idea about Express. I'd find it hard to believe they'd limit the entry level environments though.

Interesting:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2183844/microsoft-claims-windows-rt-compatible-arm

• Deleted user 20 June 2012 11:59:06
    mrpon wrote:
    Some more guff here Rhy.
    Ace, cheers.
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 12:02:19 28,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    From the above article too - it states you'll be able to side-load applications outside of the Store on windows RT. So you already have more flexibility than IOS in that regard.

Rhythm, who has more experience with OSes in the Enterprise than MS? Where IOS is running try and address it's gaps in Enterprise deployments and security, Windows Rt already has the pedigree inherited.

• Lukus 20 Jun 2012 12:26:42 19,049 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm genuinely impressed by this Surface thingamy. Even though the delivery of the presentation was a little unpolished, the actual message was really strong and the product looks really cool, as long as the UI turns out well and the battery.

It's clear they've put a lot of work into the actual design of the product. Or at least they're doing a good job in pretending they have. Like Apple.

I also think the screen protector/keyboard hybrid is great. It's such an obvious idea, it's weird Apple haven't already done it.

Paintings & Photographs

• Anthony_UK 20 Jun 2012 12:37:19 2,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I'm genuinely impressed by this Surface thingamy. Even though the delivery of the presentation was a little unpolished, the actual message was really strong and the product looks really cool, as long as the UI turns out well and the battery.

It's clear they've put a lot of work into the actual design of the product. Or at least they're doing a good job in pretending they have. Like Apple.

I also think the screen protector/keyboard hybrid is great. It's such an obvious idea, it's weird Apple haven't already done it.
    They most likely have thought of it, but it seems Apple are happy for people to buy an iPad for consuming content while keeping the MacBooks as a totally separate product for when real work is needed to be done.

Microsoft have effectively merged the
    two which depending on price and how popular these are could be a major headache or Apple, I really don't think it was ever there intention to have the full desktop OS on iPad.
  • FWB 20 Jun 2012 12:41:10 44,193 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More eloquently put than my "I don't get the keyboard". Tablets for me are, as you put it, "consuming content". Anything else for me requires sitting down with resources to write. A desktop/laptop is better suited to that.
  • Fab4 20 Jun 2012 12:48:04 5,990 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not quite as bad as a BSoD :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/9343720/Microsofts-Surface-tablet-fails-during-Los-Angeles-showcase.html
  • Anthony_UK 20 Jun 2012 12:52:19 2,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    More eloquently put than my "I don't get the keyboard". Tablets for me are, as you put it, "consuming content". Anything else for me requires sitting down with resources to write. A desktop/laptop is better suited to that.
    But surely that's the whole point, with the touch and keyboard cover you have both a tablet and a laptop.

I have an iPad and was considering the MacBook air, but depending on price and how natural the touch covers feel to work on, it might be time to sell up and take the plunge...

If they release the pro for £700ish I'll be all over this, especially taking into account the money I'd generate from selling my iPad.
  • Deleted user 20 June 2012 13:04:56
    silentbob wrote:

Rhythm, who has more experience with OSes in the Enterprise than MS? Where IOS is running try and address it's gaps in Enterprise deployments and security, Windows Rt already has the pedigree inherited.
    Exactly. If a boss at my firm asks for Apple stuff we have no choice but to deny requests. If they request a Surface there's a good chance we'll be able to comply
  • THFourteen 20 Jun 2012 13:07:47 33,149 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    :-D

Don't make me tell you how low my user id is.
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 13:12:33 28,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Exactly. I bet the keyboard will have been considered at some stage, but Apple are all about simplicity - and they probably deemed it simply unnecessary for the functionality they were aiming at.

• silentbob 20 Jun 2012 13:14:23 28,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    :-D

Don't make me tell you how low my user id is.
    ;)

/polishes sub 2k badge

• sport 20 Jun 2012 13:14:26 12,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Exactly. I bet the keyboard will have been considered at some stage, but Apple are all about simplicity - and they probably deemed it simply unnecessary for the functionality they were aiming at.
    Then Apple will pay for their foolishness!!!!!!!!!!!
  • silentbob 20 Jun 2012 13:16:36 28,956 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They don't have the productivity software which would really necessitate one - and they don't seem to have any interest in pursuing it either.

As has been said, that's what the Macbooks are for.

• disusedgenius 20 Jun 2012 13:16:40 5,272 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    The big problem MS will have is that they've already announced it and... where is it? Nowadays you really have to announce this stuff a week or so before launch - otherwise it'll either already seem like old news when it does finally come out or someone will have copied it already.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last