Splinter Cell: Blacklist Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Raiko101 24 Sep 2013 12:53:42 5,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just played Charlie's first side mission, in which you have to survive waves of enemies and dogs. Amazing! The best thing about the game so far. They could make a whole game out of modes like this for a fraction of the cost and give people like me years of entertainment. I really wish they would.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 24 Sep 2013 12:59:21 22,063 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That one can be done in co-op too. Nudge nudge ;) But yeah, Charlie's missions are surprisingly fun, and some of the best when it comes to being open with your play style. You can set yourself a little perimeter and Rambo them, or start slicing throats one by one, or be like a shadow. They've got lots of little paths and hiding spots, plus you can play past the 5 waves for bonus stuff.

I did lament the loss of Hunter mode at first, but between Charlie's and Kobin's missions, there's still plenty of that sort of thing to do. Plus you get cash for more guns :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Raiko101 25 Sep 2013 17:02:20 5,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We will get online at some point! I'll message you on Miiverse once I have the time!

• RedSparrows 29 Sep 2013 19:58:18 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really need people to play with online: solo is just painful :(

Say again: add me for 360 game times!
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Sep 2013 20:40:09 13,814 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RedSparrows

Hi mate, I should be stating this later in the week. :-)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Jono62 29 Sep 2013 20:45:40 13,628 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Will you be stating the obvious? ;)
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Sep 2013 20:54:01 13,814 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Jono62

Fucking phones...I hate these touch screen things.
    I had to re-read what you typed, I thought was does he mean! ;-)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• RedSparrows 1 Oct 2013 02:07:59 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So much content! Am pleasantly surprised by the SP also: whilst it still jars it not being Ironside, and whilst the story is the usual total rubbish, the gameplay is fun, and the different styles feel like a natural codification of normal SC gameplay. Ghost is the only way to play, obviously.

MP is also terrific. Classic needs more maps, but is so good - albeit I feel the Mercs are lacking a decent vision mode in it. Regardless: Classic is great, Blacklist is surprisingly fun too, co-op galore. So glad I got over my prejudices and got it.
  • RedSparrows 1 Oct 2013 17:49:23 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, I am really enjoying this game.

Except for the diabolical 'boss battle'. Utter wank. Alongside the dire story it's doing a good job of making all the good stuff seem decidedly less shiny.
  • DFawkes 1 Oct 2013 20:47:59 22,063 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed the story, but that bit of the game you speak of really is definitely, objectively terrible. Even when you know what'll happen, it's boring at best and frustrating horribleness at worst.

• Anthony_UK 1 Oct 2013 21:02:06 2,391 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've still loads to do, but by far it's my favourite Splinter Cell yet.  It's as accessible or as hardcore as you want it.

I think they set alarm bells off dropping Michael Iron side and even the trailers gave the impression they'd made the game into some bizarre Splinter Cell/COD hybrid. Failing miserably to realise that people who love the series aren't looking for anything of the sort.

It's a shame that many potential buyers were put off. The game for the most part is dripping in hard as nails stealth if you want it and packed full of content.

Even the new Sam grew on me, he's just a no nonsense solider like the old Sam, not the Nathan Drake of Tom Clancey games as many feared.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 21:03:11 01-10-2013
  • MatMan562 1 Oct 2013 21:02:56 1,913 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it easy to find Spies v Mercs games in this? It looks like it'll be great fun but I have no friends interested in it so would be relying on strangers. I don't have Xbox Gold anymore so would probably only be getting it on PS3 or PC (I assume there's practically no one on Wii U), do either of those still have healthy numbers playing online?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• RedSparrows 2 Oct 2013 10:52:54 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't speak for numbers on those platforms - 360 has lots, I'm sure they do too - but you really need friends to play it with. Co-operation is essential to have any fun.

With that said, once again: ADD ME ON LIVE FOR FUN TIMES AND SOME BLACKLIST TOO
  • GiarcYekrub 2 Oct 2013 11:10:26 3,583 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I've still loads to do, but by far it's my favourite Splinter Cell yet.  It's as accessible or as hardcore as you want it.

I think they set alarm bells off dropping Michael Iron side and even the trailers gave the impression they'd made the game into some bizarre Splinter Cell/COD hybrid. Failing miserably to realise that people who love the series aren't looking for anything of the sort.

It's a shame that many potential buyers were put off. The game for the most part is dripping in hard as nails stealth if you want it and packed full of content.

Even the new Sam grew on me, he's just a no nonsense solider like the old Sam, not the Nathan Drake of Tom Clancey games as many feared.
    I've got all the other SC's do you think this is worth picking up, I missed going non lethal in Conviction
  • JiveHound 2 Oct 2013 11:15:42 2,147 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Really need people to play with online: solo is just painful :(

Say again: add me for 360 game times!
    My copy should be delivered today bud. I'll be about at some point on Friday if you want to team up.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• DFawkes 2 Oct 2013 11:26:26 22,063 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    I've got all the other SC's do you think this is worth picking up, I missed going non lethal in Conviction
    Ghost is pretty much the Splinter Cell of old. You'll never have to kill a single person in the entire game (though there is one section that's a bit tricky in this regard) and not being seen at all is the way to score big.

If you feel you have to engage people, you have multiple non-lethal means, but there are always multiple paths if you look around. The only thing I could see disappointing fans of the older ones is the occasional set piece where it limits your stealth options a bit.

• Anthony_UK 2 Oct 2013 11:34:07 2,391 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @GiarcYekrub definitely, the levels are actually designed so that you don't have to kill anyone, if that's what you want. Though that does get increasingly harder to do so as the game progresses.
  • DFawkes 2 Oct 2013 11:36:24 22,063 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I failed one level non-lethal because I thought it'd be funny to get an unconscious body I stunned and throw it off a high building, hoping they'd not have thought about it so I could murder people and still get a commendation for being Mr Pacifist. Didn't work :p

• RedSparrows 2 Oct 2013 11:48:55 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:

Yes, it is. I loved the older SCs and at points this beats them. However, it does suffer from action-film itis at points: some utterly unnecessary UAV sequences, which are shit, for example. Yet it also plays new tricks and makes them work in a stealthy way, e.g. Briggs' FPS sections - two VERY short bits in FPS that can be played entirely stealthily.

So it's like the old SCs, with an unfortunate dose of 'modern-big-AAA-jack-of-all-trades-bullshit' to it, but that never swamps the really good core gameplay - ghosting is entirely possible, and is very tense at points, especially on the harder difficulties. Then you have a shitload of extra content in MP, co-op, side missions etc. Many of the latter require stealth as a condition of success, others are a bit louder.

Rather than a game destroyed by trying to be something else, it pays lip service to those other things, and concentrates on being good at what it does, and at offering options to players. I play stealth, always. It's only because the core game is so good that these minor annoyances seem worse than they really are.
  • RedSparrows 3 Oct 2013 10:43:22 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Er, so I lost my save game. WTF?

Loaded up, and it started anew. Rather than being sensible and turning it off and checking the save file, I thought if I let it carry on, it'd resume my normal save. No dice.

RAAARGH. I was going to replay the campaign anyway, but even so - god damn it!
  • BiggerBFG 5 Oct 2013 12:44:32 780 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • RedSparrows 5 Oct 2013 12:54:41 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Iran mission is absurd.

Well, the end. The mission is good - stealth, tiny bit of action, all good fun.

But the end is just retarded. So you're suppose to be sneaking in Iran. Even when it goes tits up, the Iranians keep it quiet, for whatever reason. But THEN you USE A UAV OVER TEHRAN TO NUKE 10 OR SO SUVS ON A PUBLIC MOTORWAY. Yeah, 'subtle'. Totally, totally unnecessary moment, with shit gameplay, for what? It serves no purpose, at all. Sure, the story isn't great, but it would be helped by avoiding such shit, not least when the gameplay is just bollocks. Offers absolutely nothing.

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:55:24 05-10-2013
  • Raiko101 5 Oct 2013 14:19:46 5,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know if I already mentioned this, but the gameplay in Blacklist is near identical to Conviction. All this promotion of 'Ghost'-like gameplay was completely possible in conviction, too. They've simply promoted more in this one because people thought wrongly about the last game.

Saying that, I think this is the better game. I think the missions in this one are slightly better, for the most part. As RedSparrows says, there is some unecessary action thrown in for no good reason.

I do sorely miss the Hunter mode from Conviction, too.

• DFawkes 5 Oct 2013 14:41:05 22,063 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    See, I didn't feel like it's all that similar to Conviction as a Ghost. Non-lethal takedowns, different gadgets, being able to hide bodies, more open levels and the different Mark and Execute system gives me a very different flow.

It's all about how you choose to play it though. Panther is pretty much identical for me, but again gameplay tweaks change the flow a bit. You used to be able to isolate 1 guard and take him down for an Execute, but now it takes a little more. It's a good change though, as you still get a bit of your Execute bar from distant kills now. It's all in how you choose to play it, I think.

Still have to get around to the co-op missions too. Done most of Kobin's except the DLC, and the first couple of Charlie's. I hate round 5 HVT hunting on those!

• JiveHound 5 Oct 2013 14:47:15 2,147 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Received my copy yesterday. I'm glad that the single player has been well received here but I'm mostly interested in Spies vs Mercs as I've never been able to play it in previous iterations.

Anyone on tonight on Xbox?

• Raiko101 5 Oct 2013 15:43:27 5,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DFawkes I might be free on wednesday, during the day, if you want to try out some co-op? I was meant to pick up a headset the other day. There's a comfy looking one in Game going for a tenner. I've still not finished to story mode, as my gaming time has been quite restricted of late. However, i'm more than up for some online play.

• RedSparrows 5 Oct 2013 17:57:07 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Received my copy yesterday. I'm glad that the single player has been well received here but I'm mostly interested in Spies vs Mercs as I've never been able to play it in previous iterations.

Anyone on tonight on Xbox?
    Yes - Spies vs Mercs it is! (but will be later, going to pub for 8...)

Edited by RedSparrows at 17:57:23 05-10-2013
  • JiveHound 5 Oct 2013 18:49:16 2,147 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    How late is later? I've got work tomorrow like a loser.

• RedSparrows 5 Oct 2013 19:06:24 20,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably too late, then: 11/12ish. Oh well, another time!
  • JiveHound 5 Oct 2013 20:19:19 2,147 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Boo

• Page

of 10 First / Last