Dead Space 3 Page 3

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• jack24 12 Jun 2012 14:03:07 284 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Indeed there seems to be some kind of ridiculous 'take dead space back to its survival horror roots' fan group here, when it has never been scary!! How can they be scary when you're loaded up with a massive arsenal of ridiculous guns and you literally have a curb stomp button? Dead Space 2 massively improved on the first, I bet this will do the same.
  • AcidSnake 12 Jun 2012 14:25:14 7,138 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Jack:
    Opinions, mate...
    I found the first to be pretty damn tense and saw no trace of the arsenal you mentioned being able to carry only 4 weapons at a time...

Never played the second but I believe the general consensus is that it was better made, but less good than the first...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2012 14:27:35 8,746 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "Clive Barker's Undying" used to schare the beejeezus out of me :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• jack24 12 Jun 2012 15:07:54 284 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AcidSnake

Only 4 weapons? Exactly. I hate to use it as an example as they are completely different but I think Amnesia has shown true terror requires absolutely no weapons, just a corner to whimper in, I'm pretty sure that terror would be diminshed if you could saw its legs of with a giant sawblade.

Don't get me wrong Dead Space as a series ranks in my all time favourites but I just don't think this new one is pushing it in as much of a different direction as some people think.
  • AcidSnake 12 Jun 2012 15:18:00 7,138 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @jack:
    I'm more used to old-skool FPS games...Perfect Dark made me carry around 40+ weapons...
    Besides in DS of the 4 I carried I had the Line Launcher (purely as a last resort, if something big came along), the Plasma Cutter (main gun, modified to the max but never enough shots), the Pulse Rifle (for any small group of enemies, shooting heads off bodies and shooting at the tentacle weakspots) and the Saw Launcher (Bunch of blades all the time, and makes a nice mess)...
    So 2 real weapons and that curb stomp that when it misses leaves you wide open...

Never played Amnesia though...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• mrpon 12 Jun 2012 15:23:41 27,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm loving 2 atm. Still has the panic getthefuckoffme moments tempered by the silence after your 50th completely unneccesary kerb stomp on the gibs.

Edited by mrpon at 15:24:14 12-06-2012

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• AcidSnake 12 Jun 2012 15:26:11 7,138 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought I was the only one to do that... :)

• mrpon 12 Jun 2012 15:29:56 27,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :) that severed foot might turn on me at any point!

I love Isaacs "Muthafucker!" when he does it.

• L_Franko Moderator 12 Jun 2012 15:44:38 9,686 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The curb stomp is a great move to use as it turns terror into pure blood lust after the 5th or 6th stomp, then you continue for as long as you see fit. Your scream also changes from a high pitched yell to a deep war cry as you continue to make a paste on the floor with your boot.
  • RedSparrows 12 Jun 2012 16:01:48 20,753 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dead Space wasn't scary. It was just a bit boring and uninspired.

It was telling that one could predict most 'shock' moments.

Edited by RedSparrows at 16:02:16 12-06-2012
  • Deckard1 12 Jun 2012 16:04:47 25,406 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought the first one was scary as fuck. And I'm much more manly than any of you. Second one was good as well until the annoying later levels.

Called it

• Lexx87 12 Jun 2012 16:06:05 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to argue that point Mr Sparrows!

With the volume up (I was using some surround sound headphone things) the sound design is actually really really good and chilling. It really makes you get into the atmosphere and it can be quite scary and creepy in places.

Speak the truth hussy!

• mrpon 12 Jun 2012 16:07:37 27,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So you're saying your heartbeat never skipped a beat throughout the whole game Red? Sounds like you're Hannibal Lector!

Edited by mrpon at 16:08:01 12-06-2012

• AcidSnake 12 Jun 2012 16:08:12 7,138 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved how it basically gave you no weapons, almost no explanation of how the controls work (especially those with SD screens), squeezes you into a small room, turns off the light and unleashes a bunch of enemies on you in the first two minutes...

• cianchristopher 12 Jun 2012 16:15:08 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How many chapters are there in Dead Space 2? I'm on Chapter 6 and so far it's been bland as bland can be. Does it get better? If so, and it does get good, is the good part lengthy?

Basically, I cannot believe the praise this is getting based off the first 6 chapters, but if it gets good from Chapter 7 onwards then I might change my mind.

Also, how many chapters were there in Dead Space 1? I played up to Chapter 8 or something and it never got very good. So, what did I miss?
  • Lexx87 12 Jun 2012 16:18:33 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I loved how it basically gave you no weapons, almost no explanation of how the controls work (especially those with SD screens), squeezes you into a small room, turns off the light and unleashes a bunch of enemies on you in the first two minutes...
    Yes! The opening of the first one is amazing, right shits you up :D

Speak the truth hussy!

• L_Franko Moderator 12 Jun 2012 16:19:08 9,686 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess the games aren't for you.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2012 16:20:18
    @Machetazo That interview was quite good. I'm a little more at ease now.

Good to see CO-OP is an entirely optional thing and that you can play the game solo and then go into the online aspect with a friend.
  • mrpon 12 Jun 2012 16:21:53 27,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha ha what an idiot you are cian.

• cianchristopher 12 Jun 2012 16:31:16 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's great, thanks.

Now, seriously... let's just take, for the sake of argument... the first 6 chapters of Dead Space 2. What's good about them? Anyone? What set-piece was clever or memorable? Anyone? What part of the level design stuck out as being particularly well-made? Anyone?

I'm not "trolling" here. I'm asking cos I just don't fucking see it.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2012 16:38:54
    @cianchristopher I liked the intro where you're running in the hospital and are seeing all the patients being turned into Necromorphs.

Quite liked the nursery and school level. Dead eerie with headphones on.

Enjoyed the fight with the big thing on the lift.

Enjoyed taking out those little bastard kid things on the set of what appeared to be a school play.

Great Atmosphere in the early chapters. Sadly gets a bit too kill kill later though.

I did not like the huge spike in black necromorphs and the unkillable fuck near the end and thought that the last boss was utter bollocks.

Must play through it again as well as the first.

Loved doing Dead Space 1 with just the plasma cutter.

Edited by WeakOrbit at 16:48:21 12-06-2012
  • cianchristopher 12 Jun 2012 16:46:02 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks, I appreciate the answer. I'll give it another go, as it has made very little impression on me but it seems to be very highly regarded.
  • bad09 12 Jun 2012 17:17:53 5,504 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @cianchristopher

You gave up on the first one and are surprised you didn't like the sequel either? :confused:

Seeing as DS1 is generally seen as the better game it's no surprise you didn't like 2!
  • cianchristopher 12 Jun 2012 17:25:08 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, it's not like I "gave up" on it. I just never really went back to finish it. I bought the second for really cheap, anyhow.

Also, I thought the second one was supposed to be the best one, no?

Either way, I don't think they're bad games. I just haven't seen anything yet that's really made me think they're great.
  • bad09 12 Jun 2012 18:40:11 5,504 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Well, it's not like I "gave up" on it. I just never really went back to finish it. I bought the second for really cheap, anyhow.

Also, I thought the second one was supposed to be the best one, no?

Either way, I don't think they're bad games. I just haven't seen anything yet that's really made me think they're great.
    Gave up on DS1 does not compute, but then I've played that damn game about 6 times now so a big fan :)

Some like 2 more but I think the general opinion is 1 was better than 2 (in terms of a horror game at least), I can see how you don't think they're that great though, DS1 really was just a tweaking of the "new Resi" shooter formula and 2 didn't offer anything new over the first one (personally I think it ruined a few things).
  • RedSparrows 13 Jun 2012 18:02:50 20,753 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Yes! The opening of the first one is amazing, right shits you up :D
    Did it? I yawned.

/toocool
  • Machetazo 15 Jun 2012 10:43:43 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GTTV Presents Dead Space 3 is available, featuring a full run of the E3 demo, and demonstrating the in-game difference co-op makes. it seems to make it boring, but do watch for yourself

After watching the whole show...Co-op breaks the game. It just doesn't look balanced around that feature, and it appear as if that's exactly what it is. EA are trying to convince people that co-op's a big thing for them, but I would guess that it wasn't even present to begin with, and got added in later.
    Things like the part where some sort of parasite bites Isaac [be advised: QTE] and the Carver character is standing around waiting (not actually assisting Isaac in any way!) leaving the Isaac player to hammer a button on their lonesome. Or, the AI that focuses on one player, leaving the other to dance circles round them, or, the layout of the level being a strange fit to co-op tension. :rolleyes:

WTF is this shit?

Edited by Machetazo at 11:15:13 15-06-2012
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 10:30:41
    Just read the preview in GamesMaster.

Universal Ammo for weapons. Also SMGS and Shotguns have been introduced.

Ellie seems to have grown a new eye as well after the last game.

It says that Tau Volantis is one of many locations in the game and there will be back tracking ala Metroidvania.

There will be horror elements but first they wanted to expose the CO-Op and new features before showing us classic Dead Space.

New approaches in horror will be taken due to lack of vents. I'm serious

Necro Unitologist battles will be tense due to

(A) Unitologists are better armed than you.

(B) Necromorphs will posses dead Unitologists.

Necromorphs now adapt to dismemberment b growing new limbs or mutating altogether.

18 Necromorphs will return among other new variants.

Thats about all I gleamed that seemed to be new news.

Oh and Jason Graves and the sound designer from Assassins Creed are working on the Audio.
  • Blerk Moderator 20 Jul 2012 15:58:45 48,224 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    These comments leave me genuinely speechless.

:cry:
  • senso-ji 20 Jul 2012 16:01:00 5,303 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good job EA didn't publish Amnesia.
  • Page

of 22 First / Last