Dead Space 3 Page 18

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 17 Feb 2013 19:50:01 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Actually, I kind of agree with you both now ... the side missions when you were in space - the two I mentioned earlier, C.S.M. Greely and Conning Tower - were pretty good, a little bit different from the story related fetch quests.

Upon landing on the icy planet, they have been nothing but 'incessant bombardment of Necromorphs' as TearYouAsunder says. The one called 'supply' something was a never ending wave of enemies ... soon got fed-up.

Lots of glitches and bugs going on too.

Managed to get the Armoury Key twice, the Probe Gun twice, the Armoury storage box contents twice and last but not not least, I couldn't actually leave the Armoury area because the door to the elevator was this pale green colour and upon walking through it, I 'fell' into the world map.

I saved and quit and still had two lots of everything.

... some daft stuff going on in this game.

Oh, and my stats for limbs shot off went from 412 to 309 when I restarted from checkpoint that was only five minutes before! And the scavenger bot stat went from 13 to 8...!

I am abseiling up the mountain now; climb, climb, twenty enemies to defeat, climb, climb, another twenty enemies to defeat, climb, climb and on and on...

The first two are so much better than this one.

: (
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Feb 2013 19:55:45 1,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    The unpredictable checkpointing / save system combined with the unskippable cut scenes is really irritating.

I know the solo campaign isn't meant to suffer because of the co-op game, but the way Carver keeps popping back up in the cut-scenes is weird. You've been battling solo through waves of enemies, then you step into a room, a cutscene kicks in and the camera pans back slightly, revealing Carver standing right beside you. And I've just watched a cutscene (a few times: see above) where Carver discusses his backstory, which if you're playing solo, you don't know about or care about. It really feels like the co-op decision was a poor one, it'll get dropped for 4.

On Chapter 17 now, it's really dragging. I've never hated abseiling more than I do now..

Also, bit of an odd casting choice, making TV chef Nigel Slater the main enemy.
    The wall climbing is terrible as its buggy if you make the jump

Strangely, the game assumes you are playing in co-op as near the end chapter 17 or 18, Issac has a chat with carver like they are friends when they were calling each other arseholes etc a few chapters ago
  • Kovacs77 17 Feb 2013 20:37:10 377 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah that's the one I was talking about, very jarring that they're suddenly mates, after having all of 2 conversations throughout the whole game up to that point.

Finished now, really didn't enjoy it from about halfway through, it was only the goodwill from the first two that kept me going. 6 / 10 at best.
  • neilka 17 Feb 2013 20:51:22 16,445 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not Nigel Slater, it's Jonathan Meades!

Edited by neilka at 20:52:48 17-02-2013

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• neilka 17 Feb 2013 20:52:34 16,445 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

• stryker1121 17 Feb 2013 22:07:25 741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm late to the party but played up to Ch. 5 on the weekend: I'm enjoying the game thus far. The opening scenes w/ human enemies are lazily done and boring, but thankfully they are short. As has been stated here a number of times things open up nicely once you get to the ship graveyard. It's an eerily beautiful and creepy setting and very much Dead Space feel.

Really, the game is pretty much "more DS" where the tension comes in surviving the next room. Of course you know those vents are going to be bursting w/ necros, but early on that inevitability adds to the oppressive atmosphere.

A few gripes here and there- having enemies appear behind you begs for a quick-turn button rather than the utterly useless duck button. Did the previous games have a quick-turn?

Also, I'm wondering about the necessity of the crafting system. I like the idea, but it's a cumbersome system and I find myself fiddling with it more than I'd like. Maybe it'll be fun once i pick up some resources.

On co-op intrusion - it's a little annoying. Entered the admiral's office in the Roanoke and hey, there's Carver sidling from stage right during the cut scene. Where'd he come from? It deflated the scene completely having him there, and there's been a few puzzles i've run into so far that were obv made for co-op. Either make a game that's fully co-op, or fully SP. Wishy-washy game development doesn't do good things for anyone, and I'm hoping the rest of the campaign does not suffer.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Feb 2013 08:40:02 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    Did the previous games have a quick-turn?
    Yes and this game sorely misses it.

I think I have ducked 95% of the time by accident and when I wanted to duck, it only works fifty-fifty (percent of the time).

The Hive Mind boss was quite good when Isaac was swallowed, but other than that, it was far too samey to the similar looking monster at the very end of the original Dead Space.

Think I am on chapter fourteen now ... hurry up and end please.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Feb 2013 11:00:03 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    *sighs*

Tell me why my stats are lower (than they once were) every single time I play this?

I always choose 'save and quit' too.

This game gets worse and worse the longer it goes on.
  • SClaw 18 Feb 2013 11:10:52 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have no idea where I am in this game. I'm collecting some puntastically named scientist slices and could not give less of a shit anymore. I just want it to end.

Nothing is even remotely threatening now I've got two good weapons (plasma cutter with a fire knife and a spike repeater with a flame thrower) and a fully upgraded suit. And I know - if I could be bothered - I could probably build an even better weapon (or just change the repeater out to the thing that makes it a spike CHAINGUN).

Barely played it for a week because it just feels a little pointless. The one new enemy I've seen in forever (the really fast stabby guys) appear to be glitched on the PC version because they just run towards me and flail around without hitting me.

Meh... it's just. Fine. It's just not that great. Not bad still, but unless I have free time on my hands the game just isn't worth playing now.
  • Darth_Flibble 18 Feb 2013 19:31:14 1,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    when ever EA force a developer to say Multiplayer is optional, its not in some way (In ME3, before the patch, you had to play MP to get the "best" ending and I use the word "best" very loosely"

I read some mong comment in the reviews comments thread, "you can't expect a 3rd game to be scary as there has been 2 other games so STFU" that makes no sense as up to the devs to make it new and interesting (randomising enemies would a good start and not have them scripted to pop up everytime) I wish true survival horror would return but the shooter gamer would have a fit wondering why its not army of 2 or COD
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Feb 2013 19:45:17 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Totally fed up now.

I am on chapter eighteen and the game is nothing but a wave machine of monsters towards the end.

... shall happily trade this in for Crysis 3 on Friday.

Only just realised that the co-op is actually part of the single player campaign in that it shares the progress stats! I kept wondering why some chapters were not 90-100% or thereabouts when I was fairly confident I looked around every nook and cranny.

*sighs*

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 19:50:00 18-02-2013
  • DiSC0_JeRk 18 Feb 2013 20:42:07 131 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Classic mode was a proper pain. Getting swarmed by 10+ feeders armed with an ungraded javelin gun was not fun. Running in circles picking them off was more like geometry wars.

Worth it for the reward though....pew pew Devil Horns
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Feb 2013 20:45:02 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DiSC0_JeRk wrote:
    Worth it for the reward though ... pew pew Devil Horns.
    Does your reward do anything special?
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Feb 2013 22:30:11 4,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I might be a bit late with this, but I got over my quiet nerd rage about them fucking this series over and decided I'd give it a chance. I've read some positive things, and I'm in the mood for it, so I'll give it a chance.

Not on Steam obviously. I'll just see if it's a reasonable price on Origin before I consider stumping up the 30 Amazon want...

FIFTY POUNDS? Good god. EA you utter, utter fuckwits.
  • neilka 18 Feb 2013 22:39:07 16,445 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's 32 from Greenmangaming with the current 20% off code (GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS).

• Dr.Haggard 19 Feb 2013 00:01:48 4,238 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers! Must admit in this case I'm more inclined to pay even less and get a disc in a box, pointless as that is. Old habits die hard.

What on earth are EA smoking though?
  • Spong 19 Feb 2013 00:13:11 525 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    93.8%

Thanks to the "optional" co-op, I think that's how much a single player can expect to complete in the so-called solo campaign. Chapters 4, 11 & 14 can't be completed 100%. 3 artefacts, 4 text logs, 4 audio logs, 10 weapon parts, 1 blueprint and 9 circuit upgrades are all beyond reach in the co-op missions. And that means five trophies/achievements are ultimately blocked from the solo campaign too that shouldn't be.

That shit needs patching. Multiplayer just being there is bad enough when it represents content I'm not interested in, but encroaching on the single-player game like that is fucked up.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 19 Feb 2013 02:46:16 11,451 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Yeah, it kills everything it sees, or so it seems...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• CharlieStCloud 19 Feb 2013 12:42:04 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Done and dusted.

A bit of a weak-ish ending, but I suppose in the grand scheme of things that that was one of the few ways to bring the game to a close.

Ellie was miraculously alive all this time! How? By crawling under a 'nearby duct tunnel' when the room was already gassed to high heaven ... Jesus.

Upon the credits finish rolling, you hear Isaacs voice saying 'Ellie? ... Ellie' so, I guess he is alive and well then!

The moon was the pesky baddie all along! I knew it! Um, not really.

By the time I was finding and fetching those Rosetta pieces as well as abseiling up, down, left and right a mountain, I kind of wished it to finish soon. The last few areas is a monster wave generating machine and it was actually rather dull.

God knows where the series will go now however, it should gratefully rest for quite a while now.
  • Deleted user 19 February 2013 19:06:49
    I would have being more interested in Dead Space three if it went like this

Isaac begins scouting on Tau Voulantis as over the past year he has being having recurring dreams about the Codex.
    Upon finding the sunken city he discovers that the crew went off to orbit back to earth but were sabotaged by Unitoligists.
    He then goes to the ship graveyard and finds the marker experiments leading back to earth and has to get back as the Unitoligists have begun Marker bombing Earths Capital in preparation for transcendance or something. Maybe even the moon monster.

Anyway I can say that it definitely went the wrong direction this time around. The campaign was dull bar from the excellent Conning Tower, Artifact Storage and Carvers first Co-Op mission.

Enemies were toned down in gruesomeness with the original childlike Lurkers replaced by dog lurkers the child like enemies were replaced by emaciated humans and odd tumor things.The co-op I had played was rather jarring as Carver felt like an after thought in some scenes but a lead man in others.

Overall I think it was poor considering the great first two games and it has made want to go back and play the first two again more than anything. I think the only reason I'll regret trading it in is if i harkern back to an earlier point in the thread

Laura Pryper/ Lexine = Dayum

Edited by WeakOrbit at 19:10:52 19-02-2013
  • timetraveler 20 Feb 2013 08:18:22 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Personally - I think that if someone hasn't play Dead Space 1 - he should try it! It's the best of all series, so if someone thinks about buying Dead Space - he should start with first of this series.
  • quadfather 20 Feb 2013 08:42:11 13,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So it sounds like its more action oriented and the tension suffers because of it? Would that be fair?

How many, if any, eerie scenes are there? Someone mentioned a ship graveyard which sounds interesting. Are there any more 'quiet' sort of areas? I'm thinking of the zero g areas in the first game - that kind of thing?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Ultrasoundwave 20 Feb 2013 08:53:57 3,386 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather

Granted, i've only got up to Chapter 7 so far (only just got to Tau Voulantis) but i've been very impressed so far.

From what others are saying, the game apparently goes downhill once you hit the planet but the ship graveyard is brilliant - i think they could easily have set the whole game there and it would have been better for it.

There is loads of Zero G going on and the graveyard itself is quite eerie. It is quite intimidating when you're told you have to go into one of the ships, firstly looking at its decaying hull from the outside, realising that there can be nothing good inside waiting for you.

Its definitely more action-packed than the first two - its still creepy and i've had one MAJOR jump scare, but the emphasis is definitely more on action than horror (so far).

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• gooner77 20 Feb 2013 08:55:47 859 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    those abseiling sections are a real pain in co-op. You can't help but get in each others way while trying to avoid the falling debris . Very poor game design imo.

And there's been a couple a major quest glitches such as objectives not showing as complete when they are
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 Feb 2013 09:33:15 11,451 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    So it sounds like its more action oriented and the tension suffers because of it? Would that be fair?

How many, if any, eerie scenes are there? Someone mentioned a ship graveyard which sounds interesting. Are there any more 'quiet' sort of areas? I'm thinking of the zero g areas in the first game - that kind of thing?
    Yeah, the game does have some very VERY satisfying engineering puzzles and a few zero G bits which I liked, but once you're a third of the way through, it's pretty thin on the ground, but when it's there, it's satisfying.

Bear in mind though, the majority of encounters are not creepy at all. Achieve objective, then get spammed by mobs of necros, mostly slashers and pukers. It's extremely boring.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• quadfather 20 Feb 2013 09:33:53 13,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave - Cheers for that. Hmm. Even though it's going to go downhill - I still might have to give it a go, can't get enough of space horror

• Ultrasoundwave 20 Feb 2013 10:09:43 3,386 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, i loved the first two mate. I enjoyed the setting, the atmosphere, the weapons, the graphics and i enjoyed following Isaac's story - all those things are present in DS3.

So basically, if you liked the first two, you'll enjoy this one, just maybe not quite as much.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• PrivateFloyd 20 Feb 2013 10:16:08 4,187 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone after a co-op partner on PS3 to start from scratch?

started to realise its a bit too shooty shooty to worry about any loss of immersion.

Available most nights from 9 for a couple of hours, like i said happy to start from the beginning also.

Goat is hungry.....

• quadfather 20 Feb 2013 10:23:27 13,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ultra - Sounds good enough for me mate, cheers :)

Edited by quadfather at 10:23:39 20-02-2013

• CharlieStCloud 20 Feb 2013 21:32:00 5,350 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    How many, if any, eerie scenes are there?
    Zero, zilch, nada.

I am a big huge fan of the original and quite liked the sequel, but I genuinely cannot recall a single 'eerie' moment in the entire game, all twenty one hours of it.

The first seven chapters are good however, upon crash landing on the icy planet, things slowly goes downhill ...

... : (
  • Page

of 23 First / Last