Dead Space 3 Page 17

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Spong 12 Feb 2013 11:37:53 525 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished the game earlier on Normal/Standard difficulty. I never did any weapon crafting at all, I stuck with the Plasma Cutter and one of the two other guns the game forces on you. The only modding I did was adding four ready-made upgrade circuits to the top part of the Plasma, didn't bother doing even that to the other weapons. My RIG was maxed out by the end of Chapter 11 or 12, after that pretty much everything the game threw at me may as well have just keeled over and died of its own accord. I had so much ammo by the end of the game, it was stupid. It undermined everything. The rapid-fire gun I had was as weak as fuck, but the sheer number of bullets I always had in my Inventory meant I could happily spray the larger groups of necros without a care for accuracy.

I really wish that day 1 patch unlocked the other play modes from the word go. Playing through as I just have made the game look retarded, it was like I was in God Mode by the time I was 60% of the way through. And it's made me dislike it more than I would have if I could've played Classic or Survival mode first.

And the planet setting is pretty shitty, what sense of horror the game had quickly nosedived once I got there. The spaceship graveyard was brilliant, I wish the whole game had been that.

Edited by Spong at 11:38:47 12-02-2013
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Feb 2013 19:06:04 1,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    The space wreck chapters are the best levels as they feel like Dead space despite the more waves of attack etc (you can set your watch by the next attack wave) Its when you get down onto the "lost planet", a few chapters in, it really becomes shooter heavy

Replaying on "classic" and was hoping it had the old style ammo management but no, its set to hard and you can't make weapons from blue prints. Complete lack of materials to upgrade your health and the regenerators can 1 hit kill you. It feels like they made it extra hard to make you buy their shit DLC
    I don't know how you unlock it, but survivor mode is what you're looking for re: ammo management.
    you unlock it by completing the game but I think survivor is just you have to craft everything as enemies don't drop anything. There is no ammo management like past games
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Feb 2013 19:15:16 1,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    Finished the game earlier on Normal/Standard difficulty. I never did any weapon crafting at all, I stuck with the Plasma Cutter and one of the two other guns the game forces on you. The only modding I did was adding four ready-made upgrade circuits to the top part of the Plasma, didn't bother doing even that to the other weapons. My RIG was maxed out by the end of Chapter 11 or 12, after that pretty much everything the game threw at me may as well have just keeled over and died of its own accord. I had so much ammo by the end of the game, it was stupid. It undermined everything. The rapid-fire gun I had was as weak as fuck, but the sheer number of bullets I always had in my Inventory meant I could happily spray the larger groups of necros without a care for accuracy.

I really wish that day 1 patch unlocked the other play modes from the word go. Playing through as I just have made the game look retarded, it was like I was in God Mode by the time I was 60% of the way through. And it's made me dislike it more than I would have if I could've played Classic or Survival mode first.

And the planet setting is pretty shitty, what sense of horror the game had quickly nosedived once I got there. The spaceship graveyard was brilliant, I wish the whole game had been that.
    its a shame Classic and Survival are set to hard as the damage you take, you can die in 2 hits later on
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Feb 2013 19:35:21 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only just played the first hour or so.

*sighs*

... does it get any better?

I did not mind the 'stranger' sequence at the start and it provoked questions straight away however, as soon as you are in Isaacs shoes I let out a audible groan. The highway thingummy crash where you used your stasis to slow the traffic down was truly poor.

Human soldiers ... really?

Oh, I don't know. I shall see how it goes.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 19:44:02 12-02-2013
  • Spong 12 Feb 2013 20:08:09 525 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    its a shame Classic and Survival are set to hard as the damage you take, you can die in 2 hits later on
    Seeing how easy my first playthrough was on Normal difficulty, that's probably a good thing. DS3 on Normal is like DS1 & 2 on Easy/Casual.
  • Darth_Flibble 12 Feb 2013 20:36:24 1,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Seeing how easy my first playthrough was on Normal difficulty, that's probably a good thing. DS3 on Normal is like DS1 & 2 on Easy/Casual.
    trouble is Hard is cheap at times, the lost planet spider monster can hit you once to knock you over and then hit you again while issac is clutching his back on the floor then you are dead. Like in most games, normal is too easy and hard is cheap at times
  • Telepathic.Geometry 13 Feb 2013 00:35:47 11,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My problem with Dead Space 3 is:

a) I would rather have four weapons with two firing methods each on me than what essentially amounts to just four weapons.

b) The first two games were all about precision limb shooting. In this game, the plasma cutter and line gun are extremely weak, and a lot of enemy waves seem to be virtually impossible to dismember before they get to you and mob you, unless you use the fucking military rifle and shotgun combo, especially on hard. It has become a shooting game. Very disappointing.

c) There are always waves of enemies, waves upon waves. I generally had to kill about a dozen necros in most rooms, and they were generally lacking in variety. Slashers and Pukers probably made up 90%. Towards the end, I was killing over 20 necros in a room. And they were generally all the same combination of the same necro. That boss necro too, how many times did I fight him? Three times?

d) Were there any new enemies in this game? I don't think so. New skins of old enemies. The exloding sack dudes sometimes held the sack in a way that was difficult to shoot it, and the screaming skinny feeders have a stealth element to them now, which I applaud, but basically there was nothing new really.

e) The game was very VERY repetitive. It reminds me of Halo, the first third of which I loved, but then grew to hate as it was rolled out again and again and again. Not only the same enemies, but the same rooms, the same environments, the same suits (as far as I can tell, there wasn't much in the difference between them, even appearance wise)... Considering the variety in the first two games, I have to wonder if there was a time issue about getting this game out the door before the next gen/ quarterly report goes in...

What I liked:

1) Some of the puzzles/engineering problems were really enjoyable and made me feel like an engineer. Rebuilding that train/ship. Getting that piece of Rosetta out. Putting Rosetta together. Matching the nodes. All good shit. :)

2) Building weapons. But only barely, I had thought that I was gonna love this shit.

I have to go and play Co-Op next, and I suppose that that'll be something new, but I have a feeling it won't be very enjoyable for my partner, as I tend to hunt for every collectible and stomp every box. But, the jury's still out.

All in all though, I'm disappointed.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• chessboxer 13 Feb 2013 05:15:19 250 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I'm on Chapter 11 now playing on Impossible (1st playthrough) and the Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter is starting to feel a bit weak.

I did my first playthrough of Dead Space 2 on Zealot difficulty and that didn't give me too many problems. I think DS3 is slightly harder.
  • GiarcYekrub 13 Feb 2013 10:18:01 3,772 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Imposible is fun, I'm struggling with ammo and having to be accurate with my plasma cutter shots, upgrading that to do the most damage has been my main upgrading objective as it was taking like 3 shots to detach a single limb at one point
  • Spong 13 Feb 2013 10:22:27 525 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, the scavenger bots, what's the point in placing them in the right spot?

It took me until about Chapter 8 to realise that the weird buzzing/throbbing sound you occasionally hear was in relation to placing the bots. The game gave me some brief notice about the sound effect and what it was, but the text is so small on-screen now that I missed it. But once I sussed out that the little scanner thing did more than just show me what rough direction to be facing when setting the bots down, I've only been placing bots in the indicated 'hot spots'. But it seems to do bugger all, the three bots I have seem to always return with roughly the same selection of random junk. Is there anything special about using the scanner to put the bots down in the right places?
  • agparrot 13 Feb 2013 11:47:03 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry Thanks for the views and opinions - same goes for everyone else really, I'm whingeing and entitled enough to not be picking it up until it is less expensive, so it's interesting to hear everyones views on it in comparison to 1, 2, and how it feels generally.

This quote of yours, though, for some inexplicable reason, made me think there should be a Lego Dead Space game:

1) Some of the puzzles/engineering problems were really enjoyable and made me feel like an engineer. Rebuilding that train/ship. Getting that piece of Rosetta out. Putting Rosetta together. Matching the nodes. All good shit.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 13 Feb 2013 13:30:19 11,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad it was of some help to you man. Here's some more info that may be of use to you. My Co-Op experience tonight has been shite.

When someone leaves, I get my mission reset, even if it's not a co-op one. When they join, it's very hard to look around for shit, because you feel like you're boring them. And after I went off to the Brusilev and waited for someone to join, I had to restart the mission to let them in. Seamless my arse.

Also, there's nothing inherently better in having someone else there. The normal misions were just the same, except now we both had to press a button to open the door, instead of just me. Why?

I accept that the experience might be better with a friend, but, I dunno. I think it would have been better with just Sheeva in the mix. And that's sayin' something...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Kovacs77 13 Feb 2013 16:11:42 365 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been bored of this now since the end of the first ice planet level, I've only just hit Chapter 13, I've got another 6 to go, and I really wish it would hurry up and end.

As mentioned above, this would have been a much better game if they'd sacked off the planet and stayed in the spaceship graveyard. They could have had ships from different time periods or different alien cultures all broken up and infected with necromorphs, to give the game some variety which it badly needs.

Also ANOTHER giant space monster swallowing the player without chewing so that he ends up inside it and has to fight his way out?? I feel like that's happened to me in every single game I've played over the last 3 years. Even FIFA
  • onestepfromlost 13 Feb 2013 23:45:26 2,070 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, i just saw the Advert for this on the telly, why the fuck is the song in the background "in the air tonight"
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 10:31:25 3,304 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Done another chapter last night over an hour or so - still enjoying it!.

Met the new regenerating bastards, not sure who thought it would be a good idea to add MORE of those fuckers for this game.

Definitely picked up after that though - i did the side-mission once you get on the tram and it was easily the best part of the game so far. I thought the voice-actor who played Edwards was very good and the messages he left on the floor "Dont say i didnt warn you...." were a nice touch - also, having the music blasting out when he sets the Necromorphs on you was quite amusing.

Playing DS3 at a much slower pace than the first two, but still having a lot of fun with it.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• sanctusmortis 14 Feb 2013 19:24:22 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love the game, bar 2 issues:

1. You can't redo side missions. You have to NG+ to be able to go back into them. This is stupid, as it means that if you miss an item in co-op you have to NG+ all the way to that and then get a mate to come help you scour it.
    2. Why did they bring back every necromorph? There was no point in bringing back Dividers, Pregnant, Twitchers or Regenerators. The new enemies (Wasters, Feeders and the Aliens)are all pretty good, but the first 2 are used heavily and in swarms.

Going through for the 100% completion now, and pissed I can't do it thanks to the side mission issue. It's dumb that not even chapter select works.
  • sid92 14 Feb 2013 19:38:00 609 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just finished this on impossible (first playthrough) if you want to make it easier for ammo and for generally killing enemies make a seeker rifle (large elite frame, military engine, precision adaptor with your choice of second tool i went with telemetry spike) with +2 damage and clip, clip only if possible in every circuit with damage support and acid bath. Ive one shotted almost everything up until the end few chapters. Overall i thought the game was quite good but very uneven like the spaceship graveyard great classic dead space area explored every meter of it but then there's the almost uncharted themed areas with everything exploding and killing 50 men. They seriously needed some better imagination though how many times can you run away from those regenerating assholes its just boring and OMG the opening door scenario they used over and over again, ok i need to open this door to continue oo wait its malfunctioning this means i will have to defeat a set number of enemies and then it will magically start working fuck sake, why not a puzzle to fix it instead. I did think they got the last few chapters much better than dead space 2 though quite liked the last area.

Edited by sid92 at 19:44:50 14-02-2013

Edited by sid92 at 23:47:25 14-02-2013
  • Spong 14 Feb 2013 19:52:41 525 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Going through for the 100% completion now, and pissed I can't do it thanks to the side mission issue.
    That single reason is what made me drop the game like stone after finishing it once. The fact the optional co-op missions are listed in the single-player stats is fucking ludicrous. Optional co-op isn't optional when they're preventing me from getting 100% on certain chapters.
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Feb 2013 20:48:08 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    *huffs and puffs*

Think I am at the part where you folks are calling 'the graveyard' and I went against the orders and used the shuttle ship thingummy to go the non-mark place. Here I find a door on a rather big looking derelict ship, which I'd happy explored ...

... until I read the message, 'co-op only'.

Oh, just sod off.

: (
  • sanctusmortis 15 Feb 2013 12:45:03 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the co-op stuff should have been better done, ie not appeared at all if single player. It's really weird, too; only the Carver player gets the audio/visual stuff, the other player just wonders what the hell is going on.

If you want to re-do side missions in single player, you have to choose them in chapter select. If you replay the chapter, they're locked off. So, you hae to do them separately or in NG+.

Ironic thing is, the game itself I love. It just seems Visceral ballsed up some silly things (I hear co-op does some... hilarious things to the pre-space section, such as Carver standing and watching as Isaac is shot and then falls down the pit to escape in the first chapter).
  • CharlieStCloud 15 Feb 2013 18:25:31 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds like Carver's point of view - with all the hallucinations and visions - is similar to Isaac in the first two games, which is a shame in some ways.

I have just landed on the icy planet.

Looks like this is going to be a long game ... done a little over six hours already!

The flight down to the planet was horrific, like it was taken straight out of the 16-bit era for goodness sake.
  • Darth_Flibble 15 Feb 2013 20:10:39 1,694 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @sid92

because they wanted to aim at the gamer who just want to shoot things (despite he has hundreds of games that are shooter) throw some puzzles in to fix a door and that gamer EA badly wants is trading the game in
  • stryker1121 15 Feb 2013 21:26:37 692 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gonna crack and pick up this game despite the mixed gamer reactions to it. I want more Dead Space in my life, and if there's a little more OTT action than i'd like, I'll deal as long as some of the old DS atmosphere is there.
  • sanctusmortis 15 Feb 2013 22:35:45 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's really, really good. The old DS atmosphere shines mainly in the optional missions, which retain that "oh, vent. Monster vent? No. Okay... OHSHITWHATWASTHATNOISE" moments.
  • CharlieStCloud 15 Feb 2013 22:45:55 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    The old DS atmosphere shines mainly in the optional missions.
    I totally agree.

The C.S.M. Greely and Conning Tower optional missions are the best thing about the game thus far since landing on the icy planet ... hope they continue to become progressively good!
  • sanctusmortis 16 Feb 2013 17:57:54 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Artifact Storage in Chapter 17's a really good one.
  • MrE26 17 Feb 2013 12:02:08 1,932 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd actually rank this up there with the first game. Loved the abandoned ships at the start & i was concerned the planet levels would ruin it but i'm finding it just as tense as before, plus the change of scenery is welcome. The frozen facilities are all creepy as fuck (even if they are lifted from The Thing), the human enemies are encountered briefly enough for it not to be an issue at all & while the enemy spam is getting more frequent, i'm not finding it any worse than the previous games. There's still the tension & creepy noises followed by mad panicky fights that have been the staple of all 3 games.

The mood, lighting & environments are all gorgeous, the soundtrack is amazing & the game's a lot of fun. Weapons crafting is a good addition, meaning you can play exactly how you want to play it. I haven't touched microtransactions & i've never felt a need to, good use of scavenger bots gives you whatever you need. Playing solo still has the same sense of isolation as before, & basically all of the fears i had that they'd somehow ruined it have evaporated once that shit opening level was out of the way.

Every addition they've made seems to have been done in a very balanced way, you aren't missing out by not buying DLC, or crafting a huge gun that fires electrified exploding sawblades coated in acid, or by playing with a co-op partner. The one solitary fuck-up they've made is having the co-op side missions visible in solo, but the game is fucking huge so i can't see how anyone could possibly feel short-changed by the solo campaign.

I genuinely see no reason why anyone who likes the first two games wouldn't enjoy this one just as much.
  • Kovacs77 17 Feb 2013 15:42:45 365 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The unpredictable checkpointing / save system combined with the unskippable cut scenes is really irritating.

I know the solo campaign isn't meant to suffer because of the co-op game, but the way Carver keeps popping back up in the cut-scenes is weird. You've been battling solo through waves of enemies, then you step into a room, a cutscene kicks in and the camera pans back slightly, revealing Carver standing right beside you. And I've just watched a cutscene (a few times: see above) where Carver discusses his backstory, which if you're playing solo, you don't know about or care about. It really feels like the co-op decision was a poor one, it'll get dropped for 4.

On Chapter 17 now, it's really dragging. I've never hated abseiling more than I do now..

Also, bit of an odd casting choice, making TV chef Nigel Slater the main enemy.

Edited by Kovacs77 at 15:51:07 17-02-2013
  • Syrette 17 Feb 2013 16:33:49 43,515 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    The C.S.M. Greely and Conning Tower optional missions are the best thing about the game thus far since landing on the icy planet ... hope they continue to become progressively good!
    Reeeally?

I've found the side missions to be pretty monotonous - just throwing loads of enemies at me at every corner, with the odd puzzle, all tied together by a weak story.

• Deleted user 17 February 2013 19:35:09
    Syrette wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Reeeally?

I've found the side missions to be pretty monotonous - just throwing loads of enemies at me at every corner, with the odd puzzle, all tied together by a weak story.
    +1

The side missions become especially laborious once you hit Tau Volantis, just incessant bombardment of Necromophs and cookie cutter gemotery. Pretty lame.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last