Iron Man 3 Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• spamdangled 6 May 2013 16:55:00 27,421 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deleted

Edited by darkmorgado at 16:55:37 06-05-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 6 May 2013 16:55:19 27,421 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    riz23 wrote:
    Gwyneth Paltrow still hot but Pepper Potts is pulled in a direction that I have never seen in the comic books.
    Really? She's a full-blown superhero in the comics now.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Shikasama 6 May 2013 16:59:00 7,069 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT: I thought the story was better then the other iron man films, the mandarin twist was brilliant and Ben Kingsley was great. I thought it took a little while to get funny but in the end it had some good laughs. The issues I had were the main action scenes were not that great and they had some strange overuse/underuse of the suits. 1 minute AIM can't get the guy out of the iron patriot, the next they have the president flying around in it under their control and if Stark can get 40 super suits to fly around on their own why didn't he do that earlier, maybe I missed something but it just didn't make sense to me. 1 minute he is jumping in and out of suits, the next he lets Paltrow fall to her death etc. That whole final action sequence just bugged me.

Overall 6.5/10 If you haven't seen it don't bother waiting till the scene at the end of the credits its not worth it
    The impression I got was that the House Party protocol took some considerable time to get together and Jarvis had been busted for almost the entire film. They ask a few times if it is time and Stark says not yet. He probably didn't even know if it would work properly as his whole Mark 42 suit was a prototype. It was Hail Mary.

Oh and the end credit scene is brilliant, so don't listen to this mardy twat.
  • spamdangled 6 May 2013 17:24:31 27,421 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    riz23 wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz What I mean by 'shooting it's load' is that it leaves no room for Iron Man to grow from that point.

Really? I can see rather obviously where it's going...

He is now the only person in the world with the knowledge of the Extremis serum and how it works. Given the importance of it in the comics, and the line about "upgrading" the human brain in the film, it doesn't take a genius to see how they are going to "improve" him in the next films. Plus, he's confirmed as being in Guardians of the Galaxy, so it looks like he develops his space suit finally.

Anyway, I liked the film. It wasn't quite what I was expecting - particularly the Mandarin, which I have to say I was a little disappointed by and it felt like some expository bits of narrative had been left on the cutting room floor (How come Pepper already knows Killian when she wasn't at Switzerland?) and some of the comic references were a bit throwaway, like AIM, Roxxon Oil, and the Iron Patriot thing, which all felt more like little things for fans to pick up on rather than being given enough room to breathe as story points in their own right. It was fun though, as a fan of the comics, to pick out all the different suits at the end.

I liked the action sequences, I liked the jokes, and the performances were pretty strong all-round even if the motivations of the characters seemed a bit flimsy.

Better than 2, on par with 1.

• ElNuevo9 6 May 2013 17:35:28 13,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, agree with all of the above post.

Much better than the second.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• beastmaster 6 May 2013 17:38:48 11,789 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    $680.1 million at box office since release \O/

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Shikasama 6 May 2013 18:14:28 7,069 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepper tels Happy that she used to work with Killian and he always used to ask her out.

Do people even pay attention?

Edited by Shikasama at 18:14:36 06-05-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 6 May 2013 18:22:27 25,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know that's what I was thinking. It was pretty clear...

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• Shikasama 6 May 2013 19:02:36 7,069 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've seen it all over, people talking about 'plot holes' when they mean 'I don't pay attention when things aren't exploding'
  • spamdangled 6 May 2013 19:45:24 27,421 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Pepper tels Happy that she used to work with Killian and he always used to ask her out.

Do people even pay attention?
    Ah ok, fair enough then. Must have missed that.

One thing that keeps niggling me about the Mandarin. He's supposed to be the guy behind the Ten Rings (the ones who capture Stark in the first film), and this is again reinforced by the logo in IM3 that shows just before he hacks the tv and makes his broadcasts. So, if Killian is the one really behind the Mandarin, why is this never mentioned? It would strengthen Tony's whole "revenge" speech as well. You would think someone would have mentioned it in the film. Maybe something else that got cut?

The more I think about it, the more it seems like they had the plan to introduce Mandarin since the first film but then couldn't work out how to actually follow it through.

• nickthegun 6 May 2013 19:50:47 60,974 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeff Bridges killed them all in the first one, so killian probably picked up the baton and ran with it as an easy sell.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Shikasama 6 May 2013 19:56:43 7,069 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In pure speculation I would say that the bald guy who was leading that cell had gone rather rogue by that point. It wouldn't be a huge stretch in logic to imagine that his deal with Stane was meant to be something of a power grab on his behalf - as was his attempt to get his own Iron Man suits. Everything in IM1 suggests that Stane approached the terrorists and it was his idea.

But in terms of IM3 I can't remember anything that would support that concretely. I did get the idea that Killian was an overseer acting through intermediaries rather than directly controlling terrorists, right up until his big power play on American soil.

After all if he was involved in Stark's capture, Maya would have got involved to figure out the Extremis equation.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 May 2013 19:58:03 25,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They'd been trying to do the mandarin since film 1 but couldn't work out how to do him without being massively racist.

• spamdangled 6 May 2013 20:31:35 27,421 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmm, could be.

Hopefully there's an extended cut once it's out on BR (and I don't mean the Chinese cut of the film, which adds an extra 4 minutes of largely redundant material purely to appeal to the Chinese market, from what I've read)

• CosmicFuzz 6 May 2013 20:34:20 25,301 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the Chinese cut sounds mental!

• nickthegun 6 May 2013 20:40:55 60,974 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not to appeal to, its advertise to. By all accounts its the chinese version of this:

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 6 May 2013 20:58:37
    IT'S A FUCKING IRON MAN FILM. WHY THE NEED TO OVER-ANALYSE?
  • Phattso Moderator 27 May 2013 04:06:30 13,762 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw the Chinese cut of the film last night. As you can imagine, there were no English subtitles during the added bits but what little I could glean from my pidgin Mandarin (no pun intended) suggests it was something about herbal medicine or acupuncture providing the key to removing the fragment from his chest. But it mainly looked like a Neutrogena advert. :)

Film was an odd one. It crammed a shitload in there, and so much ran over the top of other stuff that it felt very very chaotic. I basically enjoyed it (and certainly more than the second movie) but I don't think there was much in there for me.

The bits with the kid felt like they belonged in a different movie, something by Schmaltzberg, but I'd have to admit that I know fuck all about the character from the comics so maybe not so much.
  • Mola_Ram 27 May 2013 05:37:29 7,950 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The more I think about it, the more it seems like they had the plan to introduce Mandarin since the first film but then couldn't work out how to actually follow it through.
    When people started going on about the Mandarin "surprise", I genuinely thought he would turn out to be the doctor who saved Stark in the first film. Maybe somehow he didn't die after all, and got twisted into a terrorist leader. Which would have been pretty unfaithful to the source material, but no moreso than what actually happened.

My second half-joking theory (before seeing the film) was that the Mandarin would turn out to be Ben Kingsley. Which actually turned out to be a pretty good guess!
  • GuiltySpark 27 May 2013 06:03:25 6,459 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    IT'S A FUCKING IRON MAN FILM. WHY THE NEED TO OVER-ANALYSE?
    I've never understood this argument.

As long as people aren't just nitpicking regarding minor plot holes or not, the fact that this is an Iron Man film has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you can analyse it.

Get bent.

• Mola_Ram 27 May 2013 06:09:27 7,950 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    People analyse movies, usually, because they enjoy analysing movies. It's fine if you don't enjoy that, but attacking people who do is just as bad as snobs who go on about philistines for not appreciating the aesthetics and naunces of cinematic language or whatever.

People enjoy things in different ways, basically.

See: Moff's Law
  • GuiltySpark 27 May 2013 06:13:00 6,459 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I get the same a lot in my house at the moment, but it's mostly just an excuse for people to hog the TV and watch Gossip Girl instead of The Shield.

Get bent.

• dominalien 27 May 2013 06:50:15 7,027 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to finally go see it, so I can come here and over analyse it to HairyArse's dismay.

PSN: DonOsito

• YenRug 18 Jan 2014 00:25:28 2,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • Moot_Point 18 Jan 2014 00:34:24 4,492 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is Ironman 3 worth watching? The first film was ok, the second got boring so not sure whether to watch this one or not.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Mola_Ram 18 Jan 2014 00:50:23 7,950 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes
  • ecu 18 Jan 2014 00:53:48 77,217 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's pretty good, worth seeing for sure IMO. It's more like Tony Stark: The Movie than Iron Man 3, which is a good thing. It focuses more on the human side of things than just being a special effects feast, though it does still make room for the money shots. They definitely went in the right direction with this after The Avengers.
  • McEwan 18 Jan 2014 07:58:34 509 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The whole thing with the Mandarin is to be addressed in a Marvel One-shot short film included with the "Thor - The Dark World".
  • YenRug 18 Jan 2014 14:03:57 2,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @McEwan *Psst, 4 posts up*
  • Shikasama 18 Jan 2014 14:05:57 7,069 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iron Man 3 got a lot of stick on certain websites but fuck em, I really enjoyed it.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last